Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mayfield 47 - Hazard 6 (Class 1A - Championship)
Congrats to Mayfield. Buuldogs, you've had a great year.You represented the mtns. well in 1-A.
Tica Wrote:I think this also nukes the argument that knocking heads with top levels teams all year long makes you stronger. Mayfield came from what is probably the weakest 1A district in the state but they do play (and defeat) some larger schools out of district, Tilghman, Graves Co., etc.

And raising $100,000 a year from booster run bingo doesn't hurt a high school football program either.

Hazard played a couple top teams in EKY this year and years past. They played Breathitt (3A Region Finalist), Clay (5A), and Corbin (2A Region Champion, State Semi-Finalist), also played 5A Letcher Central. In the last couple years they have played those same teams, plus Johnson Central, Green County, Perry Central and Lex Christian in the regular season. Hazard just played in their second state championship game in last few years. I think they are on the right track and they will win a title soon.

Congrats Mayfield, and congrats Hazard on a great season, you represented EKY well.
Notre Dame Football…GO IRISH
WOW!:yikes: Congrats to Mayfield on the win and Hazard on a great season!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOSERS QUIT WHEN THEY'RE TIRED, WINNERS QUIT WHEN THEY HAVE WON
Seems as if my original guess about the margin was about right. A shame that I had to change it.

Congrats to Mayfield for the win, and excellent season by Hazard as well! Big Grin
sstack Wrote:Congrads Mayfield
This was a terrible championship game, the 6 class system sucks. Mayfield deserved better competition for a championship game!

LCA should have better competition last year. The same thing Mayfield done last year, Hazard done this year.
Last year Mayfield have 5 TO. Hazard have 4 TO in the first half.
I was there and could not believe just how fast Mayfield was... MY son, who attends college at Murray State told me, "dad, you will not believe how fast these kids are, it's a whole new speed at the high school level." Now, I believe him, they are super fast and the #9 kid, Jonathan Jackson, is a FREAK... The kid is a player, he is fast and aggressive as heck... Congrats to Mark Dixon and the Bulldogs on being 14-1, I know this one stings, but I can bet you that there are at least 40 other schools that wish they were there playing.
Here is some team stats ..... Whats crazy is hazard had over 300 yards of offense and only 6 points.

Haz......May.
14..........22 - 1st downs
168.......154 - Rush yards
163.......303 - Pass yards
331.......457 - Total offense
8/76......1/5 - Penalties
5..............2 - Turnovers
GREAT Season Bulldogs! Proud of ya!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Relax, all right? Don’t try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they’re fascist. Throw some ground balls – it’s more democratic.”

Crash Davis
bac2369 Wrote:Mayfield will be there i just dont know if it will be next year but you never know. Mayfield loses Devin Jones, Decole Noonan, Luke Guhy, Javarius Richardson, Kenny Payton. Those are all Big time play makers Mayfield returns Jon Jackson, William Higginson and Shain Ross. QB will be there issue but i have heard he was by far ahead of his older brother at there ages. The east gets easier as LCA will go to 2A. Hazard returns 4 key players for next year in Jordan Olinger, Austin Johnson, BJ Combs and Zach Blanton. The Qb will also be the issue for hazard as well.

Kenny Payton transferred from Arkansas and only became eligable 4 weeks ago. Noonan was a pretty good back up at rb behind J Jackson.
Tica Wrote:raising $100,000 a year from booster run bingo doesn't hurt a high school football program either.

I've always been told it raised $250,000, is somebody making off with some of the Cards loot
Congrats to Hazard, great team but it ran into a buzz saw.

Did I tell you all that it's Great to be a Mayfield Cardinal
Beat Down. Congrats Mayfield
bac2369 Wrote:Here is some team stats ..... Whats crazy is hazard had over 300 yards of offense and only 6 points.

Haz......May.
14..........22 - 1st downs
168.......154 - Rush yards
163.......303 - Pass yards
331.......457 - Total offense
8/76......1/5 - Penalties
5..............2 - Turnovers

Just curious! I see that Hazard had five turnovers. Last year Mayfield had 6. All you herd out of alot of the faithful was. We gave it to them. It was our worst game this season!! Does anyone think the rolls should be reversed this year? Or sense the shoe is on the other foot think that its crazy. And Mayfield is just that much better then Hazard! Or can Hazard play the we gave them five td's. I haven't herd anyone use this like another team did last year! Last year I thought LCA was so much better then anyother team. This year I felt all year that Mayfield was. But I did start thinking the last few days that Hazard had a chance. Which they didn't.
MayfieldCardinal Wrote:I've always been told it raised $250,000, is somebody making off with some of the Cards loot

Overhead cost is going up maybe!! :biggrin:
It cost alot of money for those cards and markers!
The difference is speed. I think as a rule in recent years, western and some central Ky. teams have significantly more speed. Not necessarily more size or strength. but more speed.

Just as an afterthought - the KHSAA should consider combing 1A, 2A and 3A into one class. The better programs regardless of size essentially are at the same level. It is going into 4A and 5A where you see a definite shift in the level of competition. There should not be blowouts in state championship games.
Congratulations Mayfield on the win and congratulations to Hazard on a great season.
Turnovers killed the Dawgs.... Congrats Mayfield.
Proud Ram Fan 1168 Wrote:Just curious! I see that Hazard had five turnovers. Last year Mayfield had 6. All you herd out of alot of the faithful was. We gave it to them. It was our worst game this season!! Does anyone think the rolls should be reversed this year? Or sense the shoe is on the other foot think that its crazy. And Mayfield is just that much better then Hazard! Or can Hazard play the we gave them five td's. I haven't herd anyone use this like another team did last year! Last year I thought LCA was so much better then anyother team. This year I felt all year that Mayfield was. But I did start thinking the last few days that Hazard had a chance. Which they didn't.

Hazard was moving the ball pretty easy on the first drive and I think would have scored if not for the fumble. I doubt it would have changed the outcome but the final score would have been a lot closer.
So this was supposed to be the number one offense against the number one defense. I guess we seen which was really number one caliber! And you cant compare this game to last years. Last year, we had one player just go confused throghout the game and blow three different coverages leaving his man open for three touchdowns. All three were daggers. Not to mention they had arguably the best running back in the state. But that was last year! Hazards defense simply couldnt keep up with mayfield, the receivers were just killing there backs all over the field. Seems like it was the number one offense and defense against just hazard!
Didn't expect this one to be so ugly.

Congrats Mayfield! And Congrats Dawgs on a great season!
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
good season dawgs!!!
Proud Ram Fan 1168 Wrote:Just curious! I see that Hazard had five turnovers. Last year Mayfield had 6. All you herd out of alot of the faithful was. We gave it to them. It was our worst game this season!! Does anyone think the rolls should be reversed this year? Or sense the shoe is on the other foot think that its crazy. And Mayfield is just that much better then Hazard! Or can Hazard play the we gave them five td's. I haven't herd anyone use this like another team did last year! Last year I thought LCA was so much better then anyother team. This year I felt all year that Mayfield was. But I did start thinking the last few days that Hazard had a chance. Which they didn't.

Taking the turn overs away, Hazard was still no where on the level of mayfield. They were a good 1a team. Respectively if the turnovers were gone say they did score on the open drive. and also on the drive were they fumbled down on the 25 like two possesions later. Mayfield obviously made corrections to keep them from moving the ball after the first two drives. This was a running clock game, so it u take that out of it and take our freshman out of the game that played the last ten min's of the clock. Then this could have been closer is that what your saying...? lol And yes the rolls were reversed this year but a diff is we put up 19 points last year and dropped wide open balls bobbled the ball and hurt ourselves with out the help most of the time of LCA. vs. this year Hazard every thing they turned over was forced. You can ask any one that was there. Their recievers are great and have some sticky fingers.
KentuckyFan35 Wrote:Hazard was moving the ball pretty easy on the first drive and I think would have scored if not for the fumble. I doubt it would have changed the outcome but the final score would have been a lot closer.

IT might have change the scoreboard but then again i dont know. The loan Td by Hazard was off our freshman (during a 4th qt running clock) when with like 3min to go in the game our freshman drove it all the way down the field but in stead of punching it in we downed the ball and gave it back to them(classy) in return they took it down the field and scored on a couple of big plays. near the final secs of the game we were back in front of the goal line with yet another knee to end the game.
I picked the game at 51-19. guess that was too much credit for them as my 32pt spread was not enough.Congrats on a good year and some high stats hazard.
MayfieldCardinal Wrote:I've always been told it raised $250,000, is somebody making off with some of the Cards loot

wow i had no clue we raised this much!!! where the **** does it all go????? we need a face lift at WAR Memorial Stadium!!!!!!:please: By now we should be in for a muilt- million dollar re-do on it. :rockon:
Jackson for Mayfield, was very impressive. Does he have any offers?
cj2561 Wrote:LCA should have better competition last year. The same thing Mayfield done last year, Hazard done this year.
Last year Mayfield have 5 TO. Hazard have 4 TO in the first half.

MVP2 Wrote:Jackson for Mayfield, was very impressive. Does he have any offers?

he is only a soph. but he had some big schools come look at him last year as a freshman.
bac2369 Wrote:Mayfield will be there i just dont know if it will be next year but you never know. Mayfield loses Devin Jones, Decole Noonan, Luke Guhy, Javarius Richardson, Kenny Payton. Those are all Big time play makers Mayfield returns Jon Jackson, William Higginson and Shain Ross. QB will be there issue but i have heard he was by far ahead of his older brother at there ages. The east gets easier as LCA will go to 2A. Hazard returns 4 key players for next year in Jordan Olinger, Austin Johnson, BJ Combs and Zach Blanton. The Qb will also be the issue for hazard as well.

Offensively is not what i worry about. OUr whole line is gone except a few. that is the biggest blow.. and the QB. next year we will be seasoned by the end of the year so dont count out yet. just depends on Beechwood and if we can get passed them. WE are going to be haveing some of the best talent we have ever had comming through the system in the next years all the way down to even the 4th and 5th graders now, ppl have already been talking about them.
As for Qb, well jake Guhy is really good and might be even better than Luke, as he is much more along than luke was at this point but his size is a factor right now. Plus guess i can let the hat outta the bag but we have another payton comming through(from arka.) He is faster stronger and he is a Qb as well. so who knows what could happen. All i know is that we arn't going any where for at least the next 8years next year being the worst with out lineman. but there has been talk of kids wanting to transfer from Graves co. (6a cause they dont get to play there) We had a couple of younger kids transfer this year but they r mostly on sp. teams and jv. S. Mills will be a good running back, he is fast quick and short. Jackson will be at fullback, most of all the WR will be returning except Javarious R. . So I look for us to be here next year as just a reg team, not as a unstoppable powerhouse.
#1 Blackcat Fan
Statistician

IMO, which i could be wrong. I dont think Mayfield is that much better than Hazard. And if Hazard wins its not because Mayfield played there worst game. It will be because Hazard is the better team. Good luck to both for an injury free game. Bring home that title Dawgs.

:thatsfunn:thatsfunn:thatsfunn:thatsfunn:thatsfunn:thatsfunn:thatsfunn:thatsfunn:thatsfunn:thatsfunn:thatsfunn:thatsfunn:thatsfunn:thatsfunn:thatsfunn:
:coach: You were wrong.......Confusedhh:

41pts **** happensConfusederved: #1 blackcatfan
12/3/2010
Mayfield 47 Hazard 6

Hazard 0 0 0 6 6
Mayfield 14 19 14 0 47
Scoring summary:
M--Jonathan Jackson 46 run (Marc Wynstra kick); M--Devin Jones 55 pass from Luke Guhy (Wynstra kick); M--Kenny Payton 24 pass from Guhy (kick failed); M--Jackson 5 run (pass failed); Payton 28 pass from Guhy (Wynstra kick); Jones 23 run (Wynstra kick); Decole Noonan 1 run (Wynstra kick); H--Jon Combs 55 run.
Records: Mayfield 15-0, Hazard 14-1

Read more: http://www.kentucky.com/2010/08/17/13961...z17BAz6Km1
Mayfield blasts Hazard for Class A crown

By CHAD BISHOP, The Daily News, [email]cbishop@bgdailynews.com[/email]
Saturday, December 4, 2010 12:00 AM CST

Print this story | Email this story | | Text Size |

Miranda Pederson/Daily News
Mayfield senior Hunter Kingston (center) lifts coach Joe Morris in celebration of their 47-6 win over Hazard in the KHSAA Class A state title game at Houchens-Smith Stadium.

advertisement

Senior Luke Guhy passed for 303 yards and three scores as Mayfield annihilated Hazard 47-6 on Friday in the KHSAA Class A state championship game at Houchens-Smith Stadium.

The Cardinals (15-0) won their eighth state title in school history and first since 2002.

“I’ve been fortunate to coach in several state championship games and we’ve had one like this - it’s happened to us once or twice,” MHS coach Joe Morris said of the blowout win. “This team’s a great football team and to shut their first team (offense) out like that it’s just a great accomplishment by our defense.”

Mayfield led 14-0 after 8:10 and 33-0 at halftime as Hazard (14-1) began to see the writing on the wall and its undefeated season come to an end.

When Decoole Noonan plunged in from a yard out with 18 seconds left in the third quarter to make it 47-0, the MHS fans began their chant of, “Run-ning clock! Run-ning clock!”

Under KHSAA rules, a game goes to a continuous running clock when the lead is greater than 45 points.

As for Guhy, the senior went 19-of-24 and a couple of those incompletions were drops by open receivers.

“I can’t say enough about Luke Guhy and what he’s done for our football team the past three years and this season,” Morris said. “I wouldn’t trade that guy for anybody in the world. I know one day I’m sure gonna miss him.”

Mayfield took a 14-0 lead after one, thanks in part to three Hazard turnovers. A fumble recovery by Javarius Richardson set up the Cards’ first score. Four plays later, Jonathan Jackson broke a fourth-and-1 from the Hazard 46 for the game’s first score to make it 7-0.

Later in the period Richardson picked off a pass at his own 18, and four plays later Guhy hit a wide-open Devin Jones down the left side for a 55-yard score.

In the second quarter, Guhy hit Kenny Payton on a skinny post down the left seam to make it 20-0 with 4:07 to go. With 40 seconds left in the half, Noonan took a toss sweep around right end for a 5-yard score to make it 26-0.

On the next offensive play for HHS, linebacker Taylor Sullivan made a one-handed interception to give MHS the ball at the Hazard 28. Guhy connected with Payton on the very next snap to make it 33-0.

“We had three big turnovers there in the first quarter,” Morris added. “They drove the ball down a little bit on us, but that’s kind of the way our defense has been. We kind of stiffen up when they cross midfield and we forced some big turnovers and made them pay for most of them.”

Jones added a TD for Mayfield with a 23-yard reverse in the third quarter and Hazard’s Jon Combs had a 55-yard run with 46 seconds left to go in the game.

Jon Combs rushed for 83 yards and threw for 163 yards, while B.J. Combs had 93 yards receiving. The Bulldogs were playing in their second state title game in school history.

Jones caught eight balls for 121 yards for MHS.

Attendance was 5,761.

HHS 0 0 0 6 - 6

MHS 14 19 14 0 - 47

First quarter

MHS - Jackson 46 run (Wynstra kick), 9:41

MHS - Jones 55 pass from Guhy (Wynstra kick), 3:50

Second quarter

MHS - Payton 24 pass from Guhy (kick failed), 4:07

MHS - Jackson 5 run (conversion failed), 0:40

MHS - Payton 28 pass from Guhy (Wynstra kick), 0:10

Third quarter

MHS - Jones 23 run (Wynstra kick), 9:39