Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pike Central 31 Prestonsburg 24
Pike Central beats Prestonsburg on the ground. Boggs rushes 29 times and over 100 yards. Definitely surprised Prestonsburg, who held the Hawks to 7 points in the 1st half. But PCC explodes in the 2nd half.
Congrats PCC!!
Congrats PC. Sounds like it was a good ball game
Another solid win for a school that is having a record breaking season, Congratulations to Coach Chapman, staff, and players. :rockon:
Quite the suprise for me. Thought maybe the schedule was a little weak for PCC to come in and take this one from the Cats. Good game plan in 2nd half for the Hawks and bad defense from the Cats.
congrats to PCC, good luck next week as i think you go to Russel,in a game you should win..
Congrats PCC
Great ball game (except for the clock keeper...still don't know what was up with that...).

PCC was every bit as good as I thought they would be. Big line, good talent at the skill positions, and as evidenced by the halftime adjustments, very well coached. Kudos to them. In the second half, after trailing 16-7, they began to spread the defense out wide and run Boggs up the middle, which was supremely effective. Speaking to some PCC fans after the game (who were very nice, friendly, and good to talk to), they said that if they had done that to Belfry, they would have won that game. Boggs is a player. Everyone knows he is a deadly passer, but in the first half Prestonsburg was able to pressure him and beat him up a little. He bounced back, though, and carried PCC in the second half. Great player...

Defensively, PCC played Prestonsburg as tough as anyone we have faced. Crisp was off his normally accurate game in the first few possessions, but alot of that had to do with PCC's defense. PCC was able to sit back with 6 to 7 in coverage and their D line pretty much shut down the Blackcat running game. Turnovers also hurt the Blackcats. This Blackcat squad simply doesn't have the margin for error to lose the turnover battle against a good team and come out with a win.

Prestonsburg defensively did a very good job stopping the pass in the first half. If not for a horribly blown coverage, PCC would have been held scoreless. However in the second half, when PCC spread the field and ran Boggs up the middle, Prestonsburg couldn't answer. Tons of missed tackles by the Blackcat defense brought back memories of the Breathitt County game. Time to bounce back, focus on the little things, and improve off this. Even with 2 losses, when you consider all that this team lost from last year and the difficulties they have faced, this has been a great regular season. Time to learn from this loss and carry it forward in the playoffs.

Congrats to Pike County Central, as they won this game outright by dominating the second half. Good luck to them in the playoffs.
Boggs looked like Cam Newton out there tonight. Prestonsburg couldn't stop him on the ground as he was running over our defenders. I thought we did a good job covering the pass, but once PCC figured out that they could run the draw effectively, they kept at it and we couldn't do anything about it.

PCC defended Prestonsburg very well, but Crisp made some very bad throws tonight into double and triple coverage. But even when he did throw a good ball it seemed like our guys couldn't hang on to it. Jamerson played very well for us tonight, as he come up with some nice catches including the nice TD grab in the endzone. Also, is it me or was Adam Crisp's throwing form different than what it has been all season?

I also would like for us to get rid of the jet sweep. It will not work against good teams. I think our running game would be more effective out of the power-I, like we used to run a few seasons ago. But it's simply too late to go away from something our guys have been doing for two seasons now and I realize that we have to keep defenses honest by running the ball, but the jet sweep just isn't cutting it against good teams, like we will face in the playoffs.

All-in-all, PCC was the better team tonight. They outplayed & outcoached us in the second half.

Congrats Hawks!

Note to our clock manager: Find another way to help out the guys in the booth... thanks!
Whoa, this is a shocker, Congrats PCC

Did Prestonsburg have alot of turnovers second half?
Pike Central, Belfry, Sheldon Clark and Lawrence County in the same district next year is looking more and more interesting each week.
SweetLemonade Wrote:Whoa, this is a shocker, Congrats PCC

Did Prestonsburg have alot of turnovers second half?

We had 3 turnovers overall... I think we just had 2 in the second half though.
Grats PC
BlackcatAlum Wrote:We had 3 turnovers overall... I think we just had 2 in the second half though.

Hmm i see, i was just trying to figure out how they score so much in the 2nd half.. sounds like a great ball game though. Keep your heads up you guys have still had an amazing year
StrayBullet Wrote:Pike Central, Belfry, Sheldon Clark and Lawrence County in the same district next year is looking more and more interesting each week.

agreed!
I cant wait to watch them battle next year.:popcorn:
Congrads PCC, P-burg will rebound for the playoffs as i think this win will benefit them later in the playoffs. Also Congrad PCC for ending P-burgs home winning streak.
By the score you might think this was an exciting ballgame, in reality it was relatively boring and poorly played on both sides. Pike got smart in the 2nd half and simplified their offense. P-burg's weakness, tackling, showed itself again. That was the difference in the game because the dropped passes and fumbles by both sides were about equal.

I did not recognize the Prestonsburg team that showed up tonight. They looked bewildered, if not asleep, most of the game. Very discouraging, but hopefully this was just a bad night and not a sign of things to come.

The offensive play calling was odd. We had open screens and short slants all night long, but kept trying to run up the middle (which hasn't worked all year) or throw long. It was obvious Pike wanted to stop Jamerson and Bryson from going long, which they did, but the short stuff was there for the taking. We also need to expand our playbook, we are getting a little predictable.

Alex Griffith and Anderson need to be used more. Anderson is our best runner with the ball....hands down. Griffith should be lined up at halfback - there he can still pass block, take a handoff or pitch on occasion, and still slip out for screens and shovel passes when Jamerson and Bryson are covered. He is a wasted asset in my opinion.

The talent is there. Hopefully this was just a bump in the road and we'll come roaring back.
congrats Hawks....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC/]
cat86 Wrote:Great ball game (except for the clock keeper...still don't know what was up with that...).

PCC was every bit as good as I thought they would be. Big line, good talent at the skill positions, and as evidenced by the halftime adjustments, very well coached. Kudos to them. In the second half, after trailing 16-7, they began to spread the defense out wide and run Boggs up the middle, which was supremely effective. Speaking to some PCC fans after the game (who were very nice, friendly, and good to talk to), they said that if they had done that to Belfry, they would have won that game. Boggs is a player. Everyone knows he is a deadly passer, but in the first half Prestonsburg was able to pressure him and beat him up a little. He bounced back, though, and carried PCC in the second half. Great player...

Defensively, PCC played Prestonsburg as tough as anyone we have faced. Crisp was off his normally accurate game in the first few possessions, but alot of that had to do with PCC's defense. PCC was able to sit back with 6 to 7 in coverage and their D line pretty much shut down the Blackcat running game. Turnovers also hurt the Blackcats. This Blackcat squad simply doesn't have the margin for error to lose the turnover battle against a good team and come out with a win.

Prestonsburg defensively did a very good job stopping the pass in the first half. If not for a horribly blown coverage, PCC would have been held scoreless. However in the second half, when PCC spread the field and ran Boggs up the middle, Prestonsburg couldn't answer. Tons of missed tackles by the Blackcat defense brought back memories of the Breathitt County game. Time to bounce back, focus on the little things, and improve off this. Even with 2 losses, when you consider all that this team lost from last year and the difficulties they have faced, this has been a great regular season. Time to learn from this loss and carry it forward in the playoffs.

Congrats to Pike County Central, as they won this game outright by dominating the second half. Good luck to them in the playoffs.

Excellent review post... Congrats to the Hawks for a great game. Pike Central found Prestonsburg's weak areas and capitalized like a good team should !!

There are a few things that really stick out in this one for the Blackcats.

1. The number of missed tackles by the Prestonsburg defense is simply unacceptable. There's no gentler way of saying it. These are not tackles being missed by underclassmen, either. The best tackle by P-burg the entire night was on a kick returner, for Pete's sake !!

NO ONE is driving their legs and instead tries to "bulldog" runners to the ground with their arms. While it might suffice against a small RB, it borders on the embarrassing to see the result against a big strong back like Boggs. When you grab the runner, you must keep your legs driving through the tackle. Even if you can't put the runner down, you halt his forward momentum and give your teammates a chance to help. I don't know how this can be corrected now - it's a basic defensive football fundamental.

2. The jet sweep doesn't work because opposing defenses get penetration at the edge. The play doesn't work when the RB can't run parallel to the LOS before he gets outside. The counter give going the other way does NOT help at all because the entire defense has plenty of time to react (it may be the slowest developing running play known to man...lol). As it is now, the OLB's are instantly crashing the corner when they see the wingback in motion toward them beating the pulling linemen to the point of attack. Without some kind of quick inside counter option or other credible inside threat on the play's same side, nothing holds the OLB or DE home from the snap of the ball.

3. The P-burg DL and LBs were absolutely manhandled toward the end of the game on PCC's last 2 possessions. This is a SCARY prospect with a possible matchup at Corbin in a few weeks...

Bottom line for P-burg... The passing game is good enough to score points offensively, even with a weak running game and also against defenses playing extra DB's. -BUT- this defense doesn't appear strong enough to stop a good power-oriented running offense that also possesses a credible passing attack.

:popcorn:
Congrats pike central!!!
Nice win for the Hawks
Congrats to the Hawks. Coach Chapman really has his team playing well at the right time of the year. As far as Prestonsburg they simply got outplayed and outcoached the second half. The Blackcats simply didn't have an answer for Boggs in the second half. I believe Boggs is the best quarterback I have seen this year in Eastern Kentucky.
Agree on Boggs. Best QB we have seen all year.

Another thing...Prestonsburg always struggles against teams that run the spread, mostly due to defensive philosphies. Prestonsburg has seemingly never had consistently excellent one on one tacklers, Austin McKinney notwithstanding. Their philosophy is to get as many players to the ball as possible and gang tackle on every play. This works well in alot of cases and helps to hide the lack of individual tackling ability. However, when teams spread the field, force the Blackcats to cover numerous receivers out in space, and limit the gang tackling ability, then they struggle.

Tackling drills, tackling drills, and more tackling drills should be the focus of every practice. This lesson, while a bitter pill to swallow on Senior night, may pay huge dividends in the playoffs, provided improvements can be made over the course of the next couple of weeks.
Congrats to PCC. Boggs has been a player in all three sports since he was in elementary school. Glad for him.
I missed this one. Congrats Hawks. The home winning streak is no more.
all i can say is BELFRY make it through your brackett and we will make it through ours to show u who the new kings of PIKE COUNTY is. Haywoood, your old style ground and pound is a dated offense and will not work against a high scoring PC team !!!! Can't wait for the rematch but i'm getting excited for nothing, BELFRY won't make it to play us just like they didn't last year
Congrats John Paul.Another Breahitt Coach moving his team forward.
congrats PC HAWKS!! so proud of the players & coaching staff..Nice Job!!!
Congrads to PCC. Good win vs another good team.
congrats pcc great game boggs