Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Raceland 42 Russell 30
Stardust Wrote:...and how many times has their ego been proven wrong this year? It seems like if you have a chip on your shoulder, then you get the EGO kicked out of you a few times, you would get over it!!!
You would think. But that's part of the culture here and that is hard to shake out. They are a very young team and hopefully learning. The attitude is pretty good and I do look for them to have a good year next year. They have been good at times this year.

The biggest problem with this loss was coaching. I love some of our staff, but you have to attack that fast break offense. Hurry the qb, get penetration in the running lanes. Play tight on the recievers.

Rushing 3 dropping 8 just opened everything up in the run game.
And don't forget the POOR tackling. This game was by far the WORST game I've seen as far as tackling. Don't get me wrong The RAMS played an outstanding game and their preparation for this game showed. Congrats to the RAMS on there win but you CAN NOT just hit someone and just expect them to fall down. Yes the DEVILS are kind of young but this far into the season they have had enough playing time to compinsate that.
Now I'm going to defend Russells players and coaches. They are young and with all the injuries the defense, and especially at linebacker, was decimated. They were just looking for bodies to put in there. The losses of davidson, Bailey and Huffine comming into the game then losing Stevens and Hurn in the first half. Spradlin playing but still slowed by an injury. If you are going to play that defense you have to have linebackers inside that can control the middle of the field. Russell was almost reduced to the JV defense.
What happend to the program...Is it lost for good ? Can some new blood be the answer ? I think Mcglone should retire. Need to get the boys ready in the weight room in the winter. Three years in a row. I would be upset if I were him...
Before we go any farther with the YOUNG TEAM excuse.
# Name Position Yr. # Name Position Yr.
2 A. J. Joseph Off: WR,Def: DB, Fr. 40 Mac Boggs Off: RB,Def: LB, Fr. 3 Sam Hieneman Off: WR,Def: DB, Sr. 51 Alec Risner Off: OL,Def: DL, Fr.
5 Adam Elkins Off: QB,Def: DB, Fr. 52 Austin Johnson Off: OL,Def: DL, Sr.
7 Andrew Salyers Off: RB,Def: DB, Fr. 53 Brandon Rogers Off: OL,Def: DL, Jr.
8 Scotty Craft Off: WR,Def: DB, Sr. 54 Bryan Caudill Off: OL,Def: LB, Jr.
9 Austin Blankenship Off: WR,Def: DB, So. 55 Doug Abrams Off: OL,Def: OL, So.
12 Zack Litteral Off: RB,Def: LB, Fr. 56 Johnny Smith Off: OL,Def: DL, Jr.
13 Miles Schuett Off: K,Def: K, Jr. 57 Michael Womack Off: OL,Def: DL, Fr.
14 Tyler Farley Off: QB,Def: DB, Sr. 62 James Smith Off: OL,Def: DL, Fr.
15 Tyler Nethercutt Off: WR,Def: DB, Jr. 63 Austin Manis Off: OL,Def: DL, Fr.
16 Marcus Reed Off: RB,Def: DB, Jr. 65 Nevan Johnson Off: OL,Def: DL, Fr. 20 Daylin Beach Off: WR,Def: DB, Fr. 66 Brandon Boyles Off: OL,Def: DL, So.
22 Timmy McComas Off: RB,Def: LB, Fr. 68 Logan Caldwell Off: OL,Def: DL, So.
23 Ralph Burchett Off: RB,Def: LB, Sr. 71 Monty Harris Off: OL,Def: LB, Jr.
24 Tommy Jones Off: WR,Def: DB, Fr. 74 Justin Evans Off: OL,Def: DL, Sr.
28 Chase Helvey Off: RB,Def: LB, Sr. 75 Jeff Kazee Off: OL,Def: DL, Sr.
32 Colton Griffith Off: RB,Def: LB, So. 78 Devin Thomas Off: OL,Def: DL, So.
34 Michael Litteral Off: RB,Def: LB, Sr. 82 Phillip Thompson Off: WR,Def: LB, Jr.
35 Brady Harris Off: WR,Def: DB, Fr. 85 John Valencourt Off: WR,Def: DB, So.

These are Freshman that start or play in rotation. Raceland has 6 Seniors that started. Farley, Craft, Litterall,Austin Johnson,Heineman,Evans are seniors. Marcus Reed, Monte Harris, Brian Caudill,Tyler Nethercutt are juniors and will be back next year. Valencourt, Blankenship, Doug Abrams, Caveman Logan Caldwell are all sophomores who start also.
Talking about young team.... Raceland is very young and will only get better, Please dont use that as an excuse because of the loss. Raceland is just as young and younger!!!!
Difference is that the Raceland kids can run, no matter what position you play.
Looking good for the next 5 years in Ram Land.

INJURIES:
Starting kicker Risner Freshman out with leg injury
Field goal kicker Miles S. JR. out with knee injury
Ralph Burchett SR. RB out with shoulder injury
Johnny Smith JR. out with shoulder injury
Jeff Kazee SR. lineman out with leg injury
Michael Litterall SR. RB came out of the game in the early 4th allowing Marcus Reed to run wild
^^^^^^^^^^ Good informational post.
You can be a 6a school or a 1a school senior or freshman heavy it dont matter. What matters is the talent of the 11 players on the field any given play. You can have a whole team of seniors that have played for years but the talent might not be there.

Congrats to Raceland
Get over it D. How about we say inexperienced. Russelll is just as young and has more injuries. Both teams are beat up. I'm not
making excuses, raceland won because in the end they made a few more plays than Russell. Let's not be so dramatic. It's obvious both teams are young. Neither played any defense.

Boggs and Beach are the only two freshman that start and play alot. I see you haven't lost your tendancy to overstate things.

Raceland will be good next year. So will Russell. Both teams have most of their teams comming back .
You r too funny.
The difference in this game was yes playing a 3 man front and dropping 8 to take away the passing game, and not being able to put pressure on the qb. That and the poorest excuse of tackling, that is what the difference in this game was, PERIOD.
Great rivalry! congrats Raceland.
DEVIL89 Wrote:The difference in this game was yes playing a 3 man front and dropping 8 to take away the passing game, and not being able to put pressure on the qb. That and the poorest excuse of tackling, that is what the difference in this game was, PERIOD.

I will have to agree with DEVIL89. Not bringing any pressure doomed the Devils.
Amen.
I'm a little late getting in on this thread but here we go. I just don't understand why the Coach's do not adjust during the game. It appears to me that they come in with a game plan and nothing is going to make them waver from it. Raceland played well against a Russell team that played well except for the tackling.

I have never had a bad word regarding the Russell Coaching staff. I have always been very loyal and supportive of the. BUT If it walks like a duck, quacks likes a duck, and looks like a duck, the odds are it is a duck. This game was lost by the coaching staff.
If they would have brought pressure scottie craft would have had 350 yards through the air, either way it just wasn't the year for the evils, I did ENJOY your FIREWORKS! Thanks for that.
Good win for a very young Raceland team. Bright future. Why Russell cannot adjust, who know's why, with :worthy:IVAN in control. If they would had watched the past films, You cannot let a QB set back and just have all the time, basic football. Everybody in the stands was wondering why. This is what the :worthy:COACHES teach the kids. If you are going to drop that many then tighten it up. I agree Russell is young but Raceland is much younger. It all boils down to COACHING period. No way a 1A school should beat a 3A school 3 out of the last 4 yrs. but Raceland has. Everybody called the pass that got intercepted and the whistle blowing after the ball got stripped was a bad call. Russell just ran out steam and Raceland was in much better shape.
No contact practices are catching up with them. They need to get back to basics so come late August it is clear who wants to play. No excuses for being inexperienced ,they should be supplied plenty of that in practice. If they tackled like that in practice then there's your answer.
That's the problem. They don't practice that at all. When a kid is trying to get a starting position. He has very little opportunity to take a starting position. That's why you see very little changes and the changes that the fans see every week often do not take place. But back to tackleing. It is just not practiced at all and has been that way for a long time. And you will not see any consiquences from the side lines either.
Anybody know the final score of the Kiwanis Bowl. Russell was struggling bad.
Ashland 55
Russell 0

Another huge embarrassment for Russell.
You gotta be kiddin me. :flush: I'm sure that only playing 4 or 5 games this season didn't help. But this means they should have been healthy and better prepared. Did Ashland play any of there Freshman that play on Friday night? I'm sure Ashland emptied the bench. Well :worthy:IVAN can straighten them out by the time they are seniors.
Elam and Callihan put on a show. They are both special players.

Russell's problem is not lack of anything but attitude and work ethic. Something that has not been instilled into these kids this year.
I hope they keep whoe ever it is. They are doing a fine job!