Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Apple Bowl: Paintsville and Johnson Central (A lost tradition)
PaintsvilleTigerfan Wrote:Paintsvile High school and JCHS both have about the same percentage of children below the poverty line. That is no excuse and really central does not need an excuse. Two of the three best school systems in the mountians are in Johnson County. We should be happy with that.
Sorry for mixing up my posts. The one you responded to said nothing about transportation issues that country football players face.

However, if you are interested in more information regarding the effect poverty has on student test scores, Paintsville's School Improvement Plan that it filed with the state contains numbers showing the impact at the high school. I did not look for a similar document for JCHS, as my point was that teaching a lower percentage of poor students makes it much easier for Paintsville to achieve high average test scores than for Johnson Central's students to achieve the same average scores. If you look at the links that I posted and look up the numbers in Paintsville's improvement plan, I think that you will agree that Johnson Central will probably never be able to achieve the same average test scores as Paintsville does because of differences in demographics.
Bob Seger Wrote:Not that I care either way. Just setting the story straight is all.

Hans did NOT play at Paintsville all through grade school. He played at Oil Springs and I am pretty sure for one year at Central Elemetary. 100% know for a fact that he played at Oil Springs though.

Adam Cummins also attended Oil Springs at one time as well.
Now that you mention it, I also recall Hans playing at Oil Springs. I believe that he was there when Chat Yates played as an 8th grader. That team had some speed.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Now that you mention it, I also recall Hans playing at Oil Springs. I believe that he was there when Chat Yates played as an 8th grader. That team had some speed.

He did indeed, only Chat was a 6th grader rather than an 8th grader at the time. I know what you meant though. Actually Hans was used very sparingly at Oil Springs. That was also the time that Justin Borders was in the backfield at QB. Hans did come into his own when he got to he middle school however. He was quite small while at OS.
Bob Seger Wrote:He did indeed, only Chat was a 6th grader rather than an 8th grader at the time. I know what you meant though. Actually Hans was used very sparingly at Oil Springs. That was also the time that Justin Borders was in the backfield at QB. Hans did come into his own when he got to he middle school however. He was quite small while at OS.
You're right, of course. I meant that Chat was a 6th grader. Hans was tiny as a 5th grader, like you said. I remembered that they had another kid that could run in the backfield but I had forgotten his name. Flat Gap should have won the county title that year but they constantly lined up out of position to contain Oil Springs's swee[s and once Yates got behind the linebackers, there was no catching him.

Yates and Griffith could have made a good tandem for JC if Matney had taken the job when it was offered earlier. As I recalled, Yates transferred to Prestonsburg to play after things began unraveling at JC.
Apple Day is over.... and usually (in the past, of course) the winning team of the Apple Bowl took a great deal of momentum(sp?) in to the rest of the season and post-season. The loosing team would see the attendance drop, but that's all in the past.................
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Sorry for mixing up my posts. The one you responded to said nothing about transportation issues that country football players face.

However, if you are interested in more information regarding the effect poverty has on student test scores, Paintsville's School Improvement Plan that it filed with the state contains numbers showing the impact at the high school. I did not look for a similar document for JCHS, as my point was that teaching a lower percentage of poor students makes it much easier for Paintsville to achieve high average test scores than for Johnson Central's students to achieve the same average scores. If you look at the links that I posted and look up the numbers in Paintsville's improvement plan, I think that you will agree that Johnson Central will probably never be able to achieve the same average test scores as Paintsville does because of differences in demographics.

The last time i lookd at the document you speak of for both schools which was 2009 i believe. Paintsville actually had a higher percentage of poor kids.
PaintsvilleTigerfan Wrote:The last time i lookd at the document you speak of for both schools which was 2009 i believe. Paintsville actually had a higher percentage of poor kids.

nvm i stand corrected
PaintsvilleTigerfan Wrote:The last time i lookd at the document you speak of for both schools which was 2009 i believe. Paintsville actually had a higher percentage of poor kids.
If it did, then somebody needs to check their work. It is not even close. It is the reason, or at least one of the reasons that JC has a federal GEAR-UP program and Paintsville does not. Paintsville does not qualify for the program, which is geared toward increasing the number of disadvantaged kids who attend college. Think about it. Where do most of the lawyers, engineers, and doctors live and where do most of them send their kids to school? A much bigger percentage of them go to Paintsville and always have. If you do not believe it so, then ask your superintendent, who formerly managed GEAR-UP programs, including the one in the Johnson County district.
Social and Economic status has been proposed as a possible rationale for the difference in D1 football recruits at the two high schools. To some extent I am certain that these were and are factors, however to say that they should be considered as primary I believe is erroneous. Most coaches have "taken care"of players with special needs and considerations.The problem may be that the ball may have been dropped after utilization is complete or during the time the student was used? This was a question. I could provide a list of student athletes who are or could have been excellent D1 prospects (athletically). This is within the entire geographic area of Johnson Co. to include Paintsville. To do so would be wrong especially since many of them I consider friends. Quite simply there is just another systems break down. Now JCHS needs to focus on a very important Ashland District and Paintsville with winning another game.
mr.charlie hustle Wrote:Social and Economic status has been proposed as a possible rationale for the difference in D1 football recruits at the two high schools. To some extent I am certain that these were and are factors, however to say that they should be considered as primary I believe is erroneous. Most coaches have "taken care"of players with special needs and considerations.The problem may be that the ball may have been dropped after utilization is complete or during the time the student was used? This was a question. I could provide a list of student athletes who are or could have been excellent D1 prospects (athletically). This is within the entire geographic area of Johnson Co. to include Paintsville. To do so would be wrong especially since many of them I consider friends. Quite simply there is just another systems break down. Now JCHS needs to focus on a very important Ashland District and Paintsville with winning another game.
That's not the context in which I raised the academics and relative poverty levels of the two schools. My point was that parents who want to send their kids to Johnson Central no longer need to worry that they would be sacrificing academics for the sake of football. Johnson Central has graduated National Merit Finalists and Semi-finalists the same as Paintsville has. In previous generations, this was not the case. Any athlete who wants a first class education can obtain one at either school.

If only one county player each year decides to play for Matney instead of enrolling at Paintsville, a roster reduction of four players could be a factor in the decline of Paintsville's football program. As one of the smallest Class 1A programs in the state, Paintsville fielding a soccer team is a much bigger factor - but small factors tend to snowball into big ones when a program starts losing.
stonecold Wrote:They are D1 now in the mac conf. but during 90-93 when Chris played they were a D2 school. In 93 they made a run at a national title, eventually losing to Youngstown State in the championship game.

In 1992 they WON the National Title. If Deaton had not got hurt. IMPO I think Chris would have been drafted. He was that good. Just NOT enough push when he was in high school.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Relax, all right? Don’t try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they’re fascist. Throw some ground balls – it’s more democratic.”

Crash Davis
stonecold Wrote:They are D1 now in the mac conf. but during 90-93 when Chris played they were a D2 school. In 93 they made a run at a national title, eventually losing to Youngstown State in the championship game.

Well NO, not really. Marshall was never a D2 school. They were NCAA-D1AA, which is not the same as D2. Marshall is NCAA D1 at this time however.

The same applies to Ryan Brown who went to James Madison. James Madison was not D1, they were NCAA-D1AA as well.

Most D1AA schools play at the D1 level in all the other sports except for football. There is a huge difference in D1 and D1AA when it comes to football. Except in the case of Michigan vs. Appalachian State that, is. lol
Hoot Gibson Wrote:The Apple Bowl was one tradition that should have ended soon after Jim Matney was hired to coach Johnson Central. The games were becoming so lopsided that they were not helping either team. I hope that the series is never resumed because that will mean that Johnson Central's program has fallen on hard times again.

Tailback44 Wrote:Pretty much, BIG 5A school JC was always beating up on little oh 1A Paintsville. I'm kinda glad to see it over. I would like to see a series of JC and Paintsville playing other teams during the Apple Fesitval though.

Eagle84 Wrote:TIGERTIME: You should be better known as “Alice and Wander Land” The demise of the Apple Bowl started when Johnson Central hired Coach Matney.
So let me get this right, Paintsville would play the Apple Bowl if the county grade school teams would play your grade school team. How does one relate to the other? In the past 5 years how many times has Paintsville 7&8 grade team refused to play Johnson Central Middle School team even though this game was schedule through the conference?
Did you not see the score of the Pineville game last week (62-6)? The problems with Paintsville football program is not having a running clock put on you in the Apple Bowl by Johnson Central but the people in charge of the program at Paintsville. From the administration down through your elementary, middle school and high school football coaches. At this point in time all Johnson Central Football Program gets out of the Apple Bowl would be having a game your could rest our starter before we start district and the economic reward of the game.
The most dominate area for Paintsville in the Apple Bowl was 1975 and 1982 however, Johnson Central did not blame Paintsville for the losses and we continue to play the apple Bowl.
At this time I think it is fair to say unless Paintsville’s administration, coaches and fans take the responsibility for the actions (not projecting blame ) and make the necessary changes to the football program TIGERTIME is over.

MonsterMan Wrote:This is not true, Paintsville quit, plain and simple. They had had enough. To be honest, when JC set their goals higher than beating Paintsville their whole program turned around. Alot of memories for the older fans, but it serves no purpose in the JC program now.

oneijoe Wrote:With all due respect, Johnson Co. schools refusing to play Paintsville at the elementary level didn't end the Apple Bowl.

While it may have made Paintsville's decision to stop the series somewhat easier to make, it's a different matter entirely. IMO, it's a WORSE thing (forcing the younger Paintsville kids to play games out of county). For many years that's been the biggest kernel of ill-will between the 2 school systems. Still...it isn't what stopped the Apple Bowl.

MonsterMan Wrote:Again you are wrong. paintsville Football is over! Not enough quality athletes left or money to support the program. Like I said, JC does not need Paintsville in anyway to suceed in football. Sound like you guys need JC to survive.

Classic Johnson County looks to me like hiring a great coach and building one of the top programs in the state, and with out any help from paintsville. If this is cutting our throats let me be the first to get a knife!

Eagle Eye Wrote:This is so funny!!! Where did you get your information? Bottom line is that JC will not play the elementary school because Pville likes to choose what sports they will play JC middle/elementary in. If they can compete they will play, bottom line. Don't go blaming our administration for Paintsville's decisions. Truth is they really can't compete in anything but soccer anymore.:igiveup:

JC is moving to higher expectations than beating Paintsville. I just wish that JC would pick up a game on Thursday night. Miss that football for this week.

MonsterMan Wrote:The JC system can play within and support itself and has gas money to travel. Like and earlier poster stated, Paintsville only wants to play when it feels it can win and that is not very often in any sport now. Our kids do not see beating Paintsville as anything special now. From the post I am reading, beating JC is a priority for the Paintsville kids. We have moved on and setting our sights higher.

This was about the Apple Bowl and Apple Week. Most teams now are in the hunt for their distircts so playing othter outside teams is out. Lets take a week off and go to The Apple Festival and get ready for theTomcats.

Hoot Gibson Wrote:Whoever made the decision to cancel the Apple Bowl, I would like to personally thank them. When Matney was first hired, I though that Paintsville would be lucky to win 1 in 10 Apple Bowls, but I apparently underestimated his ability. I am glad that the annual match-up was canceled and as for the all-time record between the schools, I could not care less. Let Paintsville's alumni long for the good old days all they want, as long as Johnson Central maintains a football befitting a 5A school nobody should want to see the Apple Bowl resurrected. - least of all JC.

Barring another huge hiring blunder by Johnson Central's administration after Matney retires (it has happened repeatedly in the past), Paintsville should never be competitive with Johnson Central again - but history does have a way of repeating itself. I don't want to see JC or Paintsville play each other when they could be competing with teams closer to their own level instead.

Superman20 Wrote:I tell you one thing, you have come up with the lamest excuses that I have ever read. LOL

MonsterMan Wrote:We have heard all the posts and it is easy to see who is on what side and that their still is a big sore between these two programs. This is why playing the Apple Bowl, imo, serves no purpose other than to reopen the wound for one week a year. As for the kids, the game has no value in building either program. Sounds like alot of petty parents would like to see it continue to live out long lost rivalries, but again their is nothing in it for either program or the kids.

Pulp Fiction Wrote:I started this thread for a couple reasons.... #1 Apple Day just doesn't seem like Apple Day without the Apple Bowl and #2 to hopefully bring some light to this subject and get this game continued.

Hoot Gibson Wrote:I am just responding to the Paintsville posters who claim repeatedly that Paintsville's past success had nothing to do with out of district players. It did.

Do I blame their parents or the players for not playing for Johnson Central? Not one bit. In fact, I believe that parents should be able to enroll their kids in the school of their choice regardless of where they choose to live and regardless of whether they change their residence.

But all of us who are familiar with Johnson Central and Paintsville know that there have been kids playing across district lines throughout the history of the schools. Sometimes out of district players helped Paintsville more and sometimes JC was the benefiiciary. Right now, most county kids - particularly the ones best suited for football - are staying home and playing for Johnson Central. Even if that was not the case, JC has a large enough enrollment to absorb the loss of a few good players better than a Class A school like Paintsville can.

If Matney had taken the position at JC three years earlier, as he almost did, the Apple Bowl would have ended sooner. I for one wish that he had done so. Central's players deserved a better high school football experience than what they got under Bill Musick's first two successors.

Just so you all know, Matney called coach Kinner yesterday. The subject of the phone call was "Bring Back the Apple Bowl". Jason told him that if they give us 6 grade school games, we would play the Apple Bowl, just like Mr. Sammons told them before the game ended. Matney said he had no control or say-so in what the grade schools do. Then he brought up money, and how it would help Paintsville financially. IDK why everyone thinks it, but WE ARE NOT IN ANY FINANCIAL TROUBLE. I know alot of people on here think that Matney and JC don't care about this game anymore because "they get nothing from it", but if that is the case, then why does JC want this game brought back.
Notre Dame Football…GO IRISH
Actually, Darren Gambil was the one who called, then put Matney on the phone.
It makes no sense that Matney would want to resume the series. If I recall correctly, Matney made a public comment or two about wanting to end the series before it was finally canceled. I don't know why the elementary school games would have any bearing on the Apple Bowl. I would like to see Paintsville in a league with all of the county grade school teams but Paintsville does not seem to be in any position to make any demands.

Maybe Matney is getting some pressure from the elementary principals who want a shot at the Tigers and the gate that the games would bring in.

I will be disappointed if the series resumes. Like others have suggested, a double-header Apple Bowl featuring two competitive match-ups would be much better than one annual blowout game.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:It makes no sense that Matney would want to resume the series. If I recall correctly, Matney made a public comment or two about wanting to end the series before it was finally canceled. I don't know why the elementary school games would have any bearing on the Apple Bowl. I would like to see Paintsville in a league with all of the county grade school teams but Paintsville does not seem to be in any position to make any demands.

Maybe Matney is getting some pressure from the elementary principals who want a shot at the Tigers and the gate that the games would bring in.

I will be disappointed if the series resumes. Like others have suggested, a double-header Apple Bowl featuring two competitive match-ups would be much better than one annual blowout game.

I agree, however, not having the Apple Bowl was a real downfall I think this year for Apple Day itself. You could tell there was nowhere near the crowd that there usually is. I miss having the Apple Bowl but it's really not much fun when it's a blowout like it has been in years past. People can say all they want about neither school needing the money that the Apple Bowl brings in but you can't tell me that neither of these schools could highly benefit from the money that the gate brings in.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:It makes no sense that Matney would want to resume the series. If I recall correctly, Matney made a public comment or two about wanting to end the series before it was finally canceled. I don't know why the elementary school games would have any bearing on the Apple Bowl. I would like to see Paintsville in a league with all of the county grade school teams but Paintsville does not seem to be in any position to make any demands.

This series shouldnt continue because Kinner can't beat smaller tier teams in the state and no matter how much talent he gets, he'll never beat Matney. He got outcoached by about every school he has played against except for SF. Allen Central had less talent, and really should have beat the tigers. Look at how bad of a year he had last year with a big line and Doderer on his team. If Doderer would have been a at JC, Matney would have made a star out of him. Had a kid playing quarterback last year in a spread offense that didn't have the ability to run that style and played him because he based things on politics instead of ability.This years qb was playing wr when he would have been terrific for last years squad because he's a good spread offense qb. A better coach would have had him at qb last year, instead of just letting Caldwell play it for one season. Makes no sense whatsoever! Using the elementary school excuse makes no sense either because it's lame and pathetic. This is embarrassing how things are when they get beat by schools phs used to crush and make sorry excuses like this to get out of playing JC. Sammons has done good for academics, which would have been good at phs even without his guidance. Him and the rest of the adminstration has made phs a joke as far as athletics goes. People went from fearing the Tigers to laughing at them. Run off and pretty much slap people in the face that were good and still would have been good for the program to make a man with no coaching experience their coach. Can't even get a good alumni to leave JC to take a job at Paintsville, which shows how bad times are. This crap makes me sick. I'll never donate another dollar to that school system till changes are made.
One thing about it, when JC realized they made bad coaching hires for football, they looked for better help immediately. If the phs has ANY sense they will see that right now they have a major problem and their football program is in jeopardy. They need to SOLVE THE PROBLEM and find a good coach! They already missed a golden opportunity with Chapman who is at Pike Central. Look at the good coaches in the surrounding counties and go after them!!!!
Superman20 Wrote:One thing about it, when JC realized they made bad coaching hires for football, they looked for better help immediately. If the phs has ANY sense they will see that right now they have a major problem and their football program is in jeopardy. They need to SOLVE THE PROBLEM and find a good coach! They already missed a golden opportunity with Chapman who is at Pike Central. Look at the good coaches in the surrounding counties and go after them!!!!

If im thinking correctly Chapman, and Kinner had one head to head match up as head coaches. And kinner won lol. I get tired of hearing this Chapman crap the truth is Jim Tom should not have been fired, the only chahce you would have now is if Burr decided to take the program back over lol. but in the end im gonna support coach kinner as he is the head man.
Matney doesn't want the double header. He was so against it that he has shot down any idea of it ever happening.
Redneck Wrote:Actually, Darren Gambil was the one who called, then put Matney on the phone.
It's spelled Gamble.
It is three days after Apple Day and the old timers are still dreaming about playing out thier childhood with the Apple Bowl! The old rivalry will never die. It is this simple guys, nothing in it for JC on any level, and contrary to what you hear Paintsville needs the money. Arguing over a 6 grade game is really sad. If the JC county program was going to play other schools, i would rather play the Ashlands, Bell and Boyle feeder elementaries. Playing Paintsville does nothing for our program on any level. We are a bigger school, with more kids and talent and more money so why play down at any level.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:It's spelled Gamble.
Does it really matter, you and everyone else knew who I was talkin bout.

MonsterMan Wrote:It is three days after Apple Day and the old timers are still dreaming about playing out thier childhood with the Apple Bowl! The old rivalry will never die. It is this simple guys, nothing in it for JC on any level, and contrary to what you hear Paintsville needs the money. Arguing over a 6 grade game is really sad. If the JC county program was going to play other schools, i would rather play the Ashlands, Bell and Boyle feeder elementaries. Playing Paintsville does nothing for our program on any level. We are a bigger school, with more kids and talent and more money so why play down at any level.

Who's dreamin about anything, I could care less if they resumed the game or not. Your coach is the one callin Paintsville wantin the game to be resurrected. And as far as money goes, you don't have a clue. If we were in so bad of shape for money, we wouldn't have put new bermuda down again, put the crumb rubber in the field, got new Riddell Revo Speed helmets, Schutt DNA helmets, new shoulder pads, new white nike uni's that have the stitched on numbers, new PA system, new press box, new ticket booth, etc etc....
PaintsvilleTigerfan Wrote:If im thinking correctly Chapman, and Kinner had one head to head match up as head coaches. And kinner won lol. I get tired of hearing this Chapman crap the truth is Jim Tom should not have been fired, the only chahce you would have now is if Burr decided to take the program back over lol. but in the end im gonna support coach kinner as he is the head man.

So, your basing a mans coaching ability on one game, when he has been a d coordinator on state title teams at Breathitt? a man with one years experience, or a man thats been apart of championships. Paintsville one of the worst teams in the state, Pike Central ranked #3 in class 3A. I wonder which coach was the better canidate for the job? I dont care if you do get tired of "that crap" because it's the truth. I agree 100 percent that Jim Tom should have never been fired, and Burrhead shouldnt have been treated the way that he was being treated when he resigned. PHS made their bed and they can lay in it. Run off a good coach for one that hadn't proved he was ready for the job 3 years ago, and still hasn't done that well to this day. Bet ole John D. at Prestonsburg is thanking the phs administration every day for firing Jim Tom. After that boneheaded mistake, they got two great coaches out of the deal with JT and Chirico.
Redneck Wrote:Does it really matter, you and everyone else knew who I was talkin bout.

Who's dreamin about anything, I could care less if they resumed the game or not. Your coach is the one callin Paintsville wantin the game to be resurrected. And as far as money goes, you don't have a clue. If we were in so bad of shape for money, we wouldn't have put new bermuda down again, put the crumb rubber in the field, got new Riddell Revo Speed helmets, Schutt DNA helmets, new shoulder pads, new white nike uni's that have the stitched on numbers, new PA system, new press box, new ticket booth, etc etc....

Its obvious why Paintsville isn't in financial trouble. Anyone can put the pieces of the puzzle together on where the money is coming from. Atleast anyone from Johnson County should be able too figure it out without me saying it.
PaintsvilleTigerfan Wrote:Matney doesn't want the double header. He was so against it that he has shot down any idea of it ever happening.

I also think it's a shame that Matney doesn't want the double header game. Jc could schedule a good program from the area like belfry or ashland, and Paintsville can schedule Magoffin or another small local school. Would be better then not having a game at all apple day week.
Superman20 Wrote:I also think it's a shame that Matney doesn't want the double header game. Jc could schedule a good program from the area like belfry or ashland, and Paintsville can schedule Magoffin or another small local school. Would be better then not having a game at all apple day week.

Can you imagine the crowd a JC-Belfry/Paintsville-Magoffin game would bring in.
PaintsvilleTigerfan Wrote:Can you imagine the crowd a JC-Belfry/Paintsville-Magoffin game would bring in.

I say that would be a good gate, but you got to look at it from this aspect as well. Games such as the Big Sandy Bowl (Paintsville and JC playing on the same night on the same field) would be a huge gate but was always split down the middle between the two schools. A lot of people want this type of scenario as the "New Apple Bowl" and I would like for it to happen too because we all know that Paintsville isn't able to compete with JC right now...honestly they never should have due to the size difference in the schools. However, a Big Sandy Bowl set up with those teams (JC vs Belfry/Paintsville vs Magoffin) splitting the gate would screw JC out of thousands of dollars.

How many people attend Paintsville games? I went to the P'burg game and there wasn't a big crowd, the Paintsville faithful don't come out like they did when I played there...and it's tough for me to see that. How many people form Magoffin would come down 460 to watch them play Paintsville? I'm not sure since I haven't seen Magoffin's fan base...but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be more than a couple hundred if that. Now, how many people attend a JC game? It's usually packed on the home side each Friday night...How many people from Belfry would travel to Paintsville to watch that game against JC? They packed the visiting side two years ago and look for them to do it again this coming year. If JC did take that game on and have to split the gate with Paintsville...they would essentially be giving all the money the people from Pond Creek pay to Paintsville instead of keeping it.

If anything happens with this game, it should be between Paintsville and JC only. Other than that, don't play it.
IRISH4 Wrote:I say that would be a good gate, but you got to look at it from this aspect as well. Games such as the Big Sandy Bowl (Paintsville and JC playing on the same night on the same field) would be a huge gate but was always split down the middle between the two schools. A lot of people want this type of scenario as the "New Apple Bowl" and I would like for it to happen too because we all know that Paintsville isn't able to compete with JC right now...honestly they never should have due to the size difference in the schools. However, a Big Sandy Bowl set up with those teams (JC vs Belfry/Paintsville vs Magoffin) splitting the gate would screw JC out of thousands of dollars.

How many people attend Paintsville games? I went to the P'burg game and there wasn't a big crowd, the Paintsville faithful don't come out like they did when I played there...and it's tough for me to see that. How many people form Magoffin would come down 460 to watch them play Paintsville? I'm not sure since I haven't seen Magoffin's fan base...but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be more than a couple hundred if that. Now, how many people attend a JC game? It's usually packed on the home side each Friday night...How many people from Belfry would travel to Paintsville to watch that game against JC? They packed the visiting side two years ago and look for them to do it again this coming year. If JC did take that game on and have to split the gate with Paintsville...they would essentially be giving all the money the people from Pond Creek pay to Paintsville instead of keeping it.

If anything happens with this game, it should be between Paintsville and JC only. Other than that, don't play it.

That's my suggestion. Dont play it period. I really dont think anyone really wants to see this slaughter anymore. JC would have more competition intersquading against their own middle school right now.
Superman20 Wrote:I also think it's a shame that Matney doesn't want the double header game. Jc could schedule a good program from the area like belfry or ashland, and Paintsville can schedule Magoffin or another small local school. Would be better then not having a game at all apple day week.

JC already schedules these teams and to be honest better teams and draws a huge crowd. The agrument would be on how to split the gate and Paintsville would want it moved to their field every other year. What am I missing, what is in this for JC?