Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Have We Accomplished Our Mission In Iraq?
What do you think? Have we served the purpose of being in Iraq? (Especially considering that the reason for being there has been proven to be untrue).

Is it time for our brave men and woman to come home?
I think right now we're kind of in a situation that nobody really wants to be in...
True, the reasons we invaded over there proved to be untrue, but now we have got a full-fledged war going on and their country is in a mess. Like they can't go one day without having a suicide bomber attack or something like that...
Considering we just fought there for the past 2 years to overthrow their government (which is a good thing) they really don't have any strong figure of authority that has enough power to command his own country. So if we leave, then Iraq will end up being even worse than it was when we entered there just because of lawlessness, chaos, and people gone wild.

Even though by staying there, there is a chance that more of our soldiers are putting themselves at risk of dying, if they come home, who knows what would happen to the rest of Iraq? It might end up being controlled by terrorists or something and in the long run that means all of us in America are going to be attacked sooner or later.
Bring em home, get rid of Bush, and bring back Clinton and our problems will be over. There's just something about a Bush that I don't like. Smile
I never understood why certain populations of human beings are incapable of being civilized or refuse to act civilized. I can't understand why people don't want more for theirselves, their families and their futures. Instead their ultimate goal is to see how many people they can kill.

I completely agree with Bush keeping the troops in Iraq. Iraq needs to establish a government, military and law enforcement to maintain control in this country so it can move forward into a civilized country were adults and children can have goals and admirations in life, such as going to college, buying their first home, and raising a family.

I know all people don't agree with americans dying for another countries well being. But, ultimately its for America's saftey as well. If we pack up and leave the situations will become worse. I think Iraq without an established government and military would become safe haven to house even more of these terriosts groups that pose a threat to the national security in the United States.

I'm not very good with politics at all. But I explained the way I felt the best way I know how.
Our number one mission there was to liberate Iraq, and we have done that. It's time to start pulling out.
BRING'EM HOME !!!!!!!

The longer they stay, more & more of our soldiers keep dying.........
torQQue Wrote:I never understood why certain populations of human beings are incapable of being civilized or refuse to act civilized. I can't understand why people don't want more for theirselves, their families and their futures. Instead their ultimate goal is to see how many people they can kill.

I completely agree with Bush keeping the troops in Iraq. Iraq needs to establish a government, military and law enforcement to maintain control in this country so it can move forward into a civilized country were adults and children can have goals and admirations in life, such as going to college, buying their first home, and raising a family.

I know all people don't agree with americans dying for another countries well being. But, ultimately its for America's saftey as well. If we pack up and leave the situations will become worse. I think Iraq without an established government and military would become safe haven to house even more of these terriosts groups that pose a threat to the national security in the United States.

I'm not very good with politics at all. But I explained the way I felt the best way I know how.

T--

I think that you explained your self quite well.

I do have a couple questions--do you think that the people of Iraq truly want our help to begin with? I am not sure about this one--and the media (on both sides) spins things in the direction that they feel is in their best interest (which is a complete joke).

Also--I know that the Constitution was created around the premise that we will fight for any country that seeks democracy. I am all for that. But there are times where I think that our country wouldn't be at risk if we kept our noses in out of other peoples business.

How do you guys/girls feel about that?
Here's a question for you... don't take it personally.

I'm just assuming you're a man who has a wife and kids but I could be wrong. So just pretend you are and look at it from an Iraqui's point of view for a minute.

OK so lets say-- before we went to Iraq, there you are with your family. You're all getting along great. You come home from work one day and find out your oldest son was walkin home from school and stopped to play some basketball at the park with a few friends. Well turns out he's not coming home because he died from being shot by a Sunni/Shitte (whichever one your family isnt). Then the military has been roaming the streets lately and turns out they thought your wife was pretty hot. So they rape her. Also your daughter can have no chance of becoming anything in her life because women had very few rights under Saddam Hussain's rule. Also turns out your neighbor's son got in with the wrong crowd and decided to train to be a suicide bomber.

So see right here in America, your son could be the next Michael Jordan, and your daughter can grow up and be anything she sets her mind to. Also you and your wife can live together happily, and the worst trouble your kids would most likely get into is for smoking, drugs, or alcohol (not that its a good thing but its better than what could happen)

SO ...do the Iraquis want our help?

Most likely they do.
Are they going to start a rebellion and ask for it?
No.
Because they didnt want half their family dead or tortured...

But anyways I really agree with what Torqque had said earlier
and I agree with you that if our country keeps our nose out of other people's business then maybe we wouldnt be in suck a mess...

Thats just my opinion though...
go panthers!!! Wrote:Here's a question for you... don't take it personally.

I'm just assuming you're a man who has a wife and kids but I could be wrong. So just pretend you are and look at it from an Iraqui's point of view for a minute.

OK so lets say-- before we went to Iraq, there you are with your family. You're all getting along great. You come home from work one day and find out your oldest son was walkin home from school and stopped to play some basketball at the park with a few friends. Well turns out he's not coming home because he died from being shot by a Sunni/Shitte (whichever one your family isnt). Then the military has been roaming the streets lately and turns out they thought your wife was pretty hot. So they rape her. Also your daughter can have no chance of becoming anything in her life because women had very few rights under Saddam Hussain's rule. Also turns out your neighbor's son got in with the wrong crowd and decided to train to be a suicide bomber.

So see right here in America, your son could be the next Michael Jordan, and your daughter can grow up and be anything she sets her mind to. Also you and your wife can live together happily, and the worst trouble your kids would most likely get into is for smoking, drugs, or alcohol (not that its a good thing but its better than what could happen)

SO ...do the Iraquis want our help?

Most likely they do.
Are they going to start a rebellion and ask for it?
No.
Because they didnt want half their family dead or tortured...

But anyways I really agree with what Torqque had said earlier
and I agree with you that if our country keeps our nose out of other people's business then maybe we wouldnt be in suck a mess...

Thats just my opinion though...

That maybe one of the best posts/replys I have ever read. It really got me to the point where I am thinking pretty hard before I respond. Naturally, it would be extremely hard to argue with your points in that light. But I need to think about that one a little more before I give you my final answer . . .

Regardless--great post.
When someone inlist into the military they understand that there is a risk for death. A high risk at that. Soldiers are gonna die in war no matter what, regardless of what the war is being fought over.
It is not in Americas best interest to move out. Like I said earlier without America in Iraq, Iraq would be safe haven that that could harvest these terroriest groups. Without authority in the country these terrorists groups could build up the organizations, physically, geologically, and financially. This is not good because some of these terrorist groups can build up alot of power and could really place another attack on the United States.
Take for example, If America hadnt of went in and cleaned up Afghanistan the Taliban would possibly be stronger than ever today and could have possibly re-created another 911 type attack, maybe even more destruction and death this time around. Im thankful to god that we went into Afghanistan and broke down most of the Taliban and established somewhat of a government there.
If you all would had loved ones that had to jump 200 stories out of the twin towers to thier death, or worse yet were burnt up or decentigrated, then I feel you wouldnt be so quick to want the troops to pull out.
I ask you all these questions.
Why did we get attacked? My answer: That part of the world despises what America believes in and stand for. They hate us and our freedoms. They want to bring America down to low level of life. Plus we didnt have strong-hold or any troops in the middle east.
If we had been more involved in the middle east like we are now, would we have been attacked? My answer, is probably not. Because we would have sucessfully broken up most of these big time terrorist, or at least known more about groups such as the Taliban.
Do you think America is safer today now that we are in the middle east? My answer : I forsure do. With us being present over there makes it extremely difficult for an terrorist group to establish power like the Taliban once had. We simply won't allow it. These insurgents don't want us there because they can't easily run their organized hate crimes against their on people and American people.
What happens if we move out and another attack was launched on America? Lets say this time is much more devastating than the last. Maybe this time one of these groups gets ahold of nuclear bomb and sets it off in a major city such as LA. Killing literally 100,000s..
Would people then be crying that we left to early?
I'm willing to bet that the majority of Iraqs populations wants America to stay put so that one day them and their children alike can experience freedoms like Americans do.
Id say we stay help them build theirselves up. This in return would create a great allie for the United States. America could built bases in Iraq to even further help combat terrorism in the middle east, by having an established military in Iraq 24/7 by having soldiers and military equipment stationed there all the time. We would have better "intelligence' of the middle east area. Which would would help prevent future attacks on America. Plus we simply keep this terrorist groups from ever getting enough power to attack again.
You're right QQ. Good post.
Give me tomorrow and I'll battle :thumb:
OK, all I have to say is what happened to Afghanistan and Bin Laden?????

Does anyone remember the real reason??? 9/11???

There are NO connections with Iraq AT ALL to anything that happened with 9/11

We are fighting a pointless war that's wasting this country's money.
Well sometimes things don't always go as planned...and besides we went there with one idea in our mind-- to fix the problems in Afganistan--but when we got that under control, we realized that there was a worse problem in Iraq.

See it's kind of like this...
If you grow up in an area like inner-city new york for instance, where it's ok to lie, cheat, steal, do drugs, get high, and kill people just to survive, then chances are when you grow up you would follow those same examples. Why? Just because all the people you looked upto your whole life did it. However if you live in a place like Eastern KY-- people here are honest and work to get what they want. for the most part. Alot of people believe in God and alot of children are raised by parents who do a great job taking care of them and raising them and making sure they get a good education.

So relating it back to Iraq. It would be like putting a small police force in one neighborhood of the Inner-city New York area as described above. You would make that certain street a better place to live, but would it solve the problem? No chance.
Just because you have to follow the law on 43rd Street-- hey boys lets get wild down at 5th avenue tonight* --people will just move to a different area and keep doing what they originally were just to get by with it.

So in Iraq-- we kicked the terrorists out of Afganistan, but turns out Saddam Hussain supports them in Iraq. So all the terrorists did was just pack up and relocate. Thats temporarily stopping the problem, not fixing it.

Then we get to Iraq and try to get the situation there under control, but turns out it was alot worse than we expected. The people there were being brutally controlled and forced to respond to the dictator's every wish. "oh so you want to rebel?" "well how bout just show up here tommorow and we'll just shoot you. sorry bout your luck"
See life doesn't work like that. I mean it does, but that doesn't mean it's fair.

Anyways, now the only way to stop the terrorists is to get rid of Saddam Hussain. The problem is that he seems to have a loyal following of about half his country. You know how when you keep doing something over and over that you're just convinced it's right? Well thats probably what happened to them. But then the soldiers were kind of obligated to fight. Now not only has it become a matter of freedom, it's also a matter of pride. Sure, our soldiers could have just walked out at any given time, but what kind of message would it give the terrorists if America just walks out and leaves??
It would be like if you're playin in a close basketball game and the other team is down by 2 and they decide to forfeit. You would be happy and be like see? they can't handle the pressure.
If any terrorist group got that in their head about America, well there's a good chance we would all be dead by now.

There's also that saying that "hindsight is always 20/20..." Looking back, to alot of people it seems we have sacrificed alot of time, money, and we let so many soldiers die. Well by being a soldier, you know you are putting yourself at a risk to die, but it's for our country. Anybody who does anything for our armed forces, navy, or whatever has my complete respect...because everything we take for granted today might not even be here for us if it wasn't for them.

But about Iraq-- so one problem snowballs into another and now we're there so we have to get the job done right.
sorry-
i didnt realize i made it that long*
It's ok.. good post..
Hey, I've got an idea, let's all believe everything our incompetent President says!!!!
Good point CE....I mean hell, we could have Kerry running the show, and we would never know what the hell he was saying because he would take all sides as he flip-flopped back and forth!
KentuckyHillBilly5321 Wrote:T--

I think that you explained your self quite well.

I do have a couple questions--do you think that the people of Iraq truly want our help to begin with? I am not sure about this one--and the media (on both sides) spins things in the direction that they feel is in their best interest (which is a complete joke).

Also--I know that the Constitution was created around the premise that we will fight for any country that seeks democracy. I am all for that. But there are times where I think that our country wouldn't be at risk if we kept our noses in out of other peoples business.

How do you guys/girls feel about that?

I have a simple quesion for you.
How many Jews would have died if we hadn't have waited until Dec 7th and the attack on Pearl.
i know that the war is a touchy subject but we as a nation cannot sit by and allow things to transpire as they have in the past.
If you look at history in both WW1 and WW2 we were passive. And many many lives were lost before we entered.
Could Hilter rise to power today? would we as a nation allow a madman to extreminate a class or religion, my answer is yes if anything we often are too slow to respond.
I disliked Clinton and his dove like attitude, the whole Blackhawkdown affaiur came from his idea that we shouldn't show a great deal of force due to perceptions, Bush is doing the same thing today.
As much as people don't want to face the facts, if anything we need to send more troops to Iraq. During WW2 we had unconditional surrender, and then we assisted in rebuilding our enemies, we attacked with a great force and defeated Nations with very little concern about how it was going to viewed on the nighly news. today we have instant access of situations, battles and death and we are more concerned about a stray bomb killing an innocent child than defeating the enemy.
You can not win a politically correct war.
Awesome post GCP!!

(And welcome back!!)
Good to be back.
Iraq hasn't established a system of government and I kinda agree with us staying over there to help build back what we destroyed for reasons that proved to be untrue. However, we should've gotten out of there as soon as that was proven to be untrue because if I'm not mistaking there was a point in time to where nothing was really going on, we had caught Saddam and found no weapons of mass destruction or anything like that so we should've gotten out of there then but instead we stayed and got involved in this whole mess we are in right now. Our country is so far in debt from the war that our great, great, great, great grandkids will probably still be paying for it. I think we have accomplished our mission in Iraq a long time ago and that we have no business over there right now other than protecting them and getting them lined back out. What I think Bush really needs to sit down and take into consideration is that the longer we stay over there in this mayhem and chaos the more and more young men and women we have coming home in body bags. So I have to ask the question, is it really worth seeing our friends, neighbors, uncles, aunts, mothers, fathers, nephews, neices, sons and daughters coming home in body bags?
How was the time when you wanted to pull out any different from now? They still didn't have a working government then just like they don't now.
But if we leave now then technically we went over there, screwed up their government and what little political order they had, then we just leave.
See thats not right.
Thats just like a guy dating a girl, then havin sex with her and them breaking up the next morning.

We should stay there and help them make their own army so that way they can deal with their own problems and defend themselves, then leave.

DT- it depends on how you look at it. It's really sad to see so many people dying like this but then again by signing up to be in the army thats a risk you have to be willing to take-- that's why it's not somethin anybody would do
what kind of life would it be to be controled by a king or dictator who could enter your house at anytime, tax you for whatever reason, give no rights to govern yourself. A life of not deciding your own nations fate. Would you want to rebel, would you want help.
I ask this because if you look at the circumstanse I was talking about America. As much as I hate to admit it france helped us become a nation. If we follow the desire for freedom that our founding fathers we would have become envolved an many more nations than just the few as of late.
We are far from acheiving the goal of a self supporting govt. in iraq. Did we go in for the right reasons? That is beside the point which is we are there, and its more like giving birth and at 6 months old we leave a child in the wilderness to fend for its self.
So I agree with GCP if anything we need to send more troops take care of the insurgenents, strengthen the country so that it can depend on itself instead of walking out an allowing it fall to what ever group strong arms it's govt in oppressing those poor people again.
Do I hate it that we are losing troops, yes but the price of freedom has been paid with blood since day one.
Beef Wrote:Good point CE....I mean hell, we could have Kerry running the show, and we would never know what the hell he was saying because he would take all sides as he flip-flopped back and forth!

Simply a catch line Beef, that's all. The Bush party had nothing going for them and then they came up with the flip-flopper bullshit. When you look at the facts, W has changed his stance on just as many, if not more, issues than Kerry. The fact is, Bush is an idiot and you all seem to think he's just being funny or sly, no people he really is just stupid.

In fact, other than start the war what has W done? He basically showed up and took pictures when Katrina happened, he's not doing shit for oil prices, and he's causing thousands of our troops and neighbors to die because "Saddam had WMD's"

Where are those WMD's??? Still hidden.???? MY ASS!!!

Bush should be impeached and hung.
yeah well thats what seems to happen when the pressure is on anyone...
it's easy to criticize them but then what would you have done differently?
did you ever think that once we get the whole iraq deal under control and gain their trust or whatever that gas is going to be sooo much cheaper than it is right now? just because they control about half of the world's oil supply..

So IMO Bush kinda had ideas and benefits in mind that would come from fighting in Iraq, they just never had a chance to happen yet due to unforseen circumstances.
ComfortEagle Wrote:Simply a catch line Beef, that's all. The Bush party had nothing going for them and then they came up with the flip-flopper bullshit. When you look at the facts, W has changed his stance on just as many, if not more, issues than Kerry. The fact is, Bush is an idiot and you all seem to think he's just being funny or sly, no people he really is just stupid.

In fact, other than start the war what has W done? He basically showed up and took pictures when Katrina happened, he's not doing shit for oil prices, and he's causing thousands of our troops and neighbors to die because "Saddam had WMD's"

Where are those WMD's??? Still hidden.???? MY ASS!!!

Bush should be impeached and hung.
Ok, let say we hang him then what?
I am far from being a Bush fan, personally I thought the mistake was made by his father in desert storm, then everyone favorite Clinton was sampling a cigar when he had 3 opportunities to take out bin Lauden and instead blew up an asprin factory facts are facts our intelligence was weakened under Clinton's administration.
I don't care if it Bush McCain or any one that he democrats run I just want a valid plan that will take care of Iraq and our problem with terrorist.
Personally I liked the handling of new York by Rudy Guliani but I don''t think he will run.
We went in for a invalid reason, we should have went in for the right reason the mass graves the torture of his people, and the fact that he was a threat to the middle east, and maybe someday the world.
Our leadership has not been what it should have been for the past three administrations.
I have come to one realization, there is no honest Abe, no truthful George left in politics. Most have sold there soul to get where they are.
If anything we should make it mandatory that all people vote, at least that way the big corporations would really be taken out of the mix, butn then that wont happen will it.
Doc Holliday Wrote:Ok, let say we hang him then what?
I am far from being a Bush fan, personally I thought the mistake was made by his father in desert storm, then everyone favorite Clinton was sampling a cigar when he had 3 opportunities to take out bin Lauden and instead blew up an asprin factory facts are facts our intelligence was weakened under Clinton's administration.
I don't care if it Bush McCain or any one that he democrats run I just want a valid plan that will take care of Iraq and our problem with terrorist.
Personally I liked the handling of new York by Rudy Guliani but I don''t think he will run.
We went in for a invalid reason, we should have went in for the right reason the mass graves the torture of his people, and the fact that he was a threat to the middle east, and maybe someday the world.
Our leadership has not been what it should have been for the past three administrations.
I have come to one realization, there is no honest Abe, no truthful George left in politics. Most have sold there soul to get where they are.
If anything we should make it mandatory that all people vote, at least that way the big corporations would really be taken out of the mix, butn then that wont happen will it.

:lol: Asprin factorys
yeah and my head hurts LOL