Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Apple Bowl: Paintsville and Johnson Central (A lost tradition)
MonsterMan Wrote:The Paintsville Little League was nothing more than a feeder system for Paintsville School system. They would recruit enough county players to cover and complement the city kids. The first thing Matney did was keep the county kids at home. This helped the county program and destroyed the Paintsville Football program. Setting up our own league was the best thing that happened. Keep our kids in our feeder program. I can see why you wish for the days when Paintsville cherry picked our kids.

This thread is about the Apple Bowl. These comments really show that this was not an atheltic event, this was an event for the two sides to continue fighting.
Maybe the old die hard fans will slide away into the past and we can get on with what really matters.

As I said earlier schools are in hunt for teir district games now and it would be hard if not impossiable to schedule other teams.

:lmao: LMFAO. I can tell ya one thing, NONE of the kids I played Little League with came over to Paintsville and played except Kyle Murphy, and he didn't come til our Sophomore year, Bill Musick's last year at JC, Musick who told him he wasn't good enough to play.
Notre Dame Football…GO IRISH
We have heard all the posts and it is easy to see who is on what side and that their still is a big sore between these two programs. This is why playing the Apple Bowl, imo, serves no purpose other than to reopen the wound for one week a year. As for the kids, the game has no value in building either program. Sounds like alot of petty parents would like to see it continue to live out long lost rivalries, but again their is nothing in it for either program or the kids.
MonsterMan Wrote:We have heard all the posts and it is easy to see who is on what side and that their still is a big sore between these two programs. This is why playing the Apple Bowl, imo, serves no purpose other than to reopen the wound for one week a year. As for the kids, the game has no value in building either program. Sounds like alot of petty parents would like to see it continue to live out long lost rivalries, but again their is nothing in it for either program or the kids.

I support JC when in every sport when they aren't playing Paintsville. You don't believe me, ask my best friend, who is also the Best-Man in my upcoming wedding, who coaches football and baseball at JC. As for the Apple Bowl, I do miss it, but it was getting out of control long before the lopsided victories started happenin. Pulp Fiction and myself gave a few examples of things that happened prior to the game, and that, IMO, is one of the reasons the game was ended. Eventually somebody was gonna get hurt or killed for the vandilism acts that were goin on. There is no sense for stuff like that to happen, I'm just suprised nobody got put in jail.
Notre Dame Football…GO IRISH
Redneck Wrote:I support JC when in every sport when they aren't playing Paintsville. You don't believe me, ask my best friend, who is also the Best-Man in my upcoming wedding, who coaches football and baseball at JC. As for the Apple Bowl, I do miss it, but it was getting out of control long before the lopsided victories started happenin. Pulp Fiction and myself gave a few examples of things that happened prior to the game, and that, IMO, is one of the reasons the game was ended. Eventually somebody was gonna get hurt or killed for the vandilism acts that were goin on. There is no sense for stuff like that to happen, I'm just suprised nobody got put in jail.

At one point in time it was getting out of control, but that was almost 10 to 12 years ago. The lopsided victories were the main reason why. I just hope phs tries to start handling things right, instead of the political way, and get things back on track to where paintsville is tough every season, like when ole burrhead was the coach. That way this game might end up being a posibility again
oneijoe Wrote:Actually, you're dead wrong. In only ONE year has Paintsville approached the "beat JCHS as badly as they wanted too" point. That was the year Lemaster was the star QB for the Tigers (back in 1978).

From its very first year in existance, Central ALWAYS had a huge advantage in resources and facilities. Though Paintsville had advantages in coaching and tradition, it allowed Central to be reasonably competitive throughout the series.

Here's proof:

http://phsaa.com/Apple%20Bowl%20History/...istory.htm

All your link proves is Paintsville lead the series 20 - 16 so how does that prove a dominance by JCHS.
oneijoe Wrote:If you check out the link earlier in the thread of Apple Bowl history, you'll see there were very few times "Johnson Central was losing big to Paintsville". The series was competitive until the last few years.

How about 7 of the first 8 years Paintsville had it but JCHS kept right on playing.
JCHS05 Wrote:How about 7 of the first 8 years Paintsville had it but JCHS kept right on playing.

The point being made is that none of those were blowouts. They were all close games.
I started this thread for a couple reasons.... #1 Apple Day just doesn't seem like Apple Day without the Apple Bowl and #2 to hopefully bring some light to this subject and get this game continued.
Redneck Wrote::lmao: LMFAO. I can tell ya one thing, NONE of the kids I played Little League with came over to Paintsville and played except Kyle Murphy, and he didn't come til our Sophomore year, Bill Musick's last year at JC, Musick who told him he wasn't good enough to play.
I don't know whether they played Little League with you or not, but Ryan Brown and his brothers Matt and Casey all lived in West Van Lear and played football for Paintsville. Ryan's father, Mike, and uncle Paul David also lived out of district and starred for Paintsville. I don't recall where former UK star Joey Couch played but I believe that he lived in the county district before he played for Paintsville - if not while he played there. Some of the Doderers and a Sublett or two also come to mind.

There have been many others over the years as well. Some have lived in the county district and attended Paintsville all 12 years, some transferred during high school as Kyle did, and others have enrolled at Paintsville after playing at the elementary or middle school level in the county system.

Paintsville's school district lines do not even encompass its city limits. Unless I am mistaken, Central Elementary is even located within the Paintsville city limits. Paintsville has such a small enrollment that a small number of very good out of district players has made a big difference in the Tigers' success over the years.

Obviously, the fact that more players living in the Johnson County school district have been staying home to play has not been the biggest factor in the decline of Paintsville football but it has contributed to the decline.

IMO, one of the biggest factors has been Paintsville's inability to compete with the Matney-coached Johnson Central teams. Walking around town on Apple Day following four straight blowout losses to their biggest rivals was not a fun experience for several senior football classes, especially give Paintsville's previous success in the series. Beating JC and then wearing a blue jersey the following day was a major fringe benefit of being a Tiger football player.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:I don't know whether they played Little League with you or not, but Ryan Brown and his brothers Matt and Casey all lived in West Van Lear and played football for Paintsville. Ryan's father, Mike, and uncle Paul David also lived out of district and starred for Paintsville. I don't recall where former UK star Joey Couch played but I believe that he lived in the county district before he played for Paintsville - if not while he played there. Some of the Doderers and a Sublett or two also come to mind.

There have been many others over the years as well. Some have lived in the county district and attended Paintsville all 12 years, some transferred during high school as Kyle did, and others have enrolled at Paintsville after playing at the elementary or middle school level in the county system.

Paintsville's school district lines do not even encompass its city limits. Unless I am mistaken, Central Elementary is even located within the Paintsville city limits. Paintsville has such a small enrollment that a small number of very good out of district players has made a big difference in the Tigers' success over the years.

Obviously, the fact that more players living in the Johnson County school district have been staying home to play has not been the biggest factor in the decline of Paintsville football but it has contributed to the decline.

IMO, one of the biggest factors has been Paintsville's inability to compete with the Matney-coached Johnson Central teams. Walking around town on Apple Day following four straight blowout losses to their biggest rivals was not a fun experience for several senior football classes, especially give Paintsville's previous success in the series. Beating JC and then wearing a blue jersey the following day was a major fringe benefit of being a Tiger football player.

I will agree that several players from Paintsville lived in the county, but also the majority of them attended PHS all through school and never even attended a county school. The Brown boys never attended a county school, expect for Mike's youngest son who attended phs his whole life until he was in high school. You make some good points, and I agree with everything else in your post.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:I started this thread for a couple reasons.... #1 Apple Day just doesn't seem like Apple Day without the Apple Bowl and #2 to hopefully bring some light to this subject and get this game continued.

#1 ???? I don't know. #2 ???? I don't know. #3 Alienation and renaissance of.hard feelings:Thumbs::Thumbs::Thumbs:.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:I don't know whether they played Little League with you or not, but Ryan Brown and his brothers Matt and Casey all lived in West Van Lear and played football for Paintsville. Ryan's father, Mike, and uncle Paul David also lived out of district and starred for Paintsville. I don't recall where former UK star Joey Couch played but I believe that he lived in the county district before he played for Paintsville - if not while he played there. Some of the Doderers and a Sublett or two also come to mind.

The Brown family have great numbers employed by the city schools not the county. Therefore would you not expect them to send their children where the work. Most of these guys went to the city school anyway. Casey did not even come to Pville when Mr. Kinner got the job.He went to Central. What gives!!!!!!! We sure could have used him!!!!! We understand the thread completely. Anyway have a happy Apple Day.
JCHS05 Wrote:All your link proves is Paintsville lead the series 20 - 16 so how does that prove a dominance by JCHS.

Please READ what you just quoted !! It DOES prove Paintsville never had an era it "beat Central as badly is wanted to".

It had nothing to do with what you're talking about...
mr.charlie hustle Wrote:The Brown family have great numbers employed by the city schools not the county. Therefore would you not expect them to send their children where the work. Most of these guys went to the city school anyway. Casey did not even come to Pville when Mr. Kinner got the job.He went to Central. What gives!!!!!!! We sure could have used him!!!!! We understand the thread completely. Anyway have a happy Apple Day.
I am just responding to the Paintsville posters who claim repeatedly that Paintsville's past success had nothing to do with out of district players. It did.

Do I blame their parents or the players for not playing for Johnson Central? Not one bit. In fact, I believe that parents should be able to enroll their kids in the school of their choice regardless of where they choose to live and regardless of whether they change their residence.

But all of us who are familiar with Johnson Central and Paintsville know that there have been kids playing across district lines throughout the history of the schools. Sometimes out of district players helped Paintsville more and sometimes JC was the benefiiciary. Right now, most county kids - particularly the ones best suited for football - are staying home and playing for Johnson Central. Even if that was not the case, JC has a large enough enrollment to absorb the loss of a few good players better than a Class A school like Paintsville can.

If Matney had taken the position at JC three years earlier, as he almost did, the Apple Bowl would have ended sooner. I for one wish that he had done so. Central's players deserved a better high school football experience than what they got under Bill Musick's first two successors.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:I am just responding to the Paintsville posters who claim repeatedly that Paintsville's past success had nothing to do with out of district players. It did.

Do I blame their parents or the players for not playing for Johnson Central? Not one bit. In fact, I believe that parents should be able to enroll their kids in the school of their choice regardless of where they choose to live and regardless of whether they change their residence.

But all of us who are familiar with Johnson Central and Paintsville know that there have been kids playing across district lines throughout the history of the schools. Sometimes out of district players helped Paintsville more and sometimes JC was the benefiiciary. Right now, most county kids - particularly the ones best suited for football - are staying home and playing for Johnson Central. Even if that was not the case, JC has a large enough enrollment to absorb the loss of a few good players better than a Class A school like Paintsville can.

If Matney had taken the position at JC three years earlier, as he almost did, the Apple Bowl would have ended sooner. I for one wish that he had done so. Central's players deserved a better high school football experience than what they got under Bill Musick's first two successors.

The talent level wasn't really as good as what central has had the past 5 to 6 years for Humphery or Ross. So, Im not sure if i agree the apple bowl would have been stopped ahead of when it was. That has to be taken into consideration as well. Paintsville in the past has always been blessed with talent, not just because of county kids. That team that won the region for paintsville back with Ryan Jarrell, the Harmon Boys, and Dustin Hall was loaded with talent from kids that were raised in town. I dont care who coached JC that year, they wouldn't have beat that team. I can't remember the season, but I remember they were exciting to watch. Harmon's arm, his brother running the ball, and the smash mouth d they played was fun to watch. After thinking about that season, it makes me miss burrhead's coaching even more lol Oh well, the past is the past and I can say that JC's administration has done a great job in all aspects of their school system. They hired a great coach, and he's made them a top program in eastern ky. PHS went backwards and hired for political reasons and have about ruined their football program by hiring a coach with very, very little coaching experience (an assistant for one season). Anyways, I agree with part of your post Hoot..have a good apple day.
Superman20 Wrote:The talent level wasn't really as good as what central has had the past 5 to 6 years for Humphery or Ross. So, Im not sure if i agree the apple bowl would have been stopped ahead of when it was. That has to be taken into consideration as well. Paintsville in the past has always been blessed with talent, not just because of county kids. That team that won the region for paintsville back with Ryan Jarrell, the Harmon Boys, and Dustin Hall was loaded with talent from kids that were raised in town. I dont care who coached JC that year, they wouldn't have beat that team. I can't remember the season, but I remember they were exciting to watch. Harmon's arm, his brother running the ball, and the smash mouth d they played was fun to watch. After thinking about that season, it makes me miss burrhead's coaching even more lol Oh well, the past is the past and I can say that JC's administration has done a great job in all aspects of their school system. They hired a great coach, and he's made them a top program in eastern ky. PHS went backwards and hired for political reasons and have about ruined their football program by hiring a coach with very, very little coaching experience (an assistant for one season). Anyways, I agree with part of your post Hoot..have a good apple day.
You are wrong on pretty much all counts, but you are entitled to your opinion. The talent level at Johnson Central did not drop off the cliff when Musick left. The team did not go from 10-0 in Musick's last season to a 2-8 team that lost to a mediocre Paintsville team in one year because of a drop off in talent. Matney would have taken the same talent and beaten Paintsville like a drum. His first team at Johnson Central beat the Tigers 48-6, after losing 20-13 the previous year.

The talent has always been at Johnson Central to have dominated the series. Until Steve Trimble hired Musick, who by the way went winless in his first season, the administration did not hang onto any coach long enough to develop a decent program. Musick went 8-2 against Paintsville and Matney, well Matney's teams outscored Paintsville 258-41 in five games and that collective score does not reflect how dominant JC was in those games.

Under Humphrey and Ross, JC's roster size dropped sharply and some of their best players sat out or transferred. There was no drop off in player talent, just in coaching talent.

I really hope that Paintsville's program improves to the point where it is competitive on a state level again. In fact, I hope the Tigers win a state title but I do not want to see the Apple Bowl revived. Paintsville will not and cannot compete with Johnson Central as long as they employ an above average coach. The numbers difference is just too great.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:You are wrong on pretty much all counts, but you are entitled to your opinion. The talent level at Johnson Central did not drop off the cliff when Musick left. The team did not go from 10-0 in Musick's last season to a 2-8 team that lost to a mediocre Paintsville team in one year because of a drop off in talent. Matney would have taken the same talent and beaten Paintsville like a drum. His first team at Johnson Central beat the Tigers 48-6, after losing 20-13 the previous year.

The talent has always been at Johnson Central to have dominated the series. Until Steve Trimble hired Musick, who by the way went winless in his first season, the administration did not hang onto any coach long enough to develop a decent program. Musick went 8-2 against Paintsville and Matney, well Matney's teams outscored Paintsville 258-41 in five games and that collective score does not reflect how dominant JC was in those games.

Under Humphrey and Ross, JC's roster size dropped sharply and some of their best players sat out or transferred. There was no drop off in player talent, just in coaching talent.

I really hope that Paintsville's program improves to the point where it is competitive on a state level again. In fact, I hope the Tigers win a state title but I do not want to see the Apple Bowl revived. Paintsville will not and cannot compete with Johnson Central as long as they employ an above average coach. The numbers difference is just too great.

I watched that talent that your talking about a lot from the time they were in elementary school on through high school. The 01 team ( i had to look it up) wasn't that talented at JC. They lost Casey Music, Scott Salyer, jeremy murray, jeremy perry, tj music, and a few other players that were studs on the 00 team. You must have a son in that age group or was on that team to say that they would have beat Paintsville like a drum that season. I watched both teams on more then one occasion that season, and it wouldnt have happened. JC did have talent, but the athleticism wasn't their that matney has had. Name one back from the 01 through the 03 seasons that was near as good as Ron Blume, JJ Jude, and Shawn Grim. Closest one was Chad Yates, and he was good, but not in the ball park of those 3 I mentioned. Name a linebacker that was better in 01-03 then Blake Johnson or Michael Tackett. That Paintsville team in 01 took a state runner up team in pburg and played them really tough, and your saying they would have beat them like a drum? so im not wrong, i watched kids on both teams in those years, had cousins that played in both programs. The 01 team would have beat JC, but other then that team, i will agree that Matney would have beat PHS like a drum. The only reason why central lost in the 20-13 game is because Scotty Mccoy screwed up and kicked like a 10 yard punt, if not for that JC would have won that game. So I agree that other then one season after Musick, Matney would have beat phs and I agree that the coaching wasn't near as good and their was some good talent, but Matney has coached a lot better talent. :Thumbs:
Superman20 Wrote:I will agree that several players from Paintsville lived in the county, but also the majority of them attended PHS all through school and never even attended a county school. The Brown boys never attended a county school, expect for Mike's youngest son who attended phs his whole life until he was in high school. You make some good points, and I agree with everything else in your post.
I believe he attended Highland Elementary as well at one point in time.
Superman20 Wrote:I watched that talent that your talking about a lot from the time they were in elementary school on through high school. The 01 team ( i had to look it up) wasn't that talented at JC. They lost Casey Music, Scott Salyer, jeremy murray, jeremy perry, tj music, and a few other players that were studs on the 00 team. You must have a son in that age group or was on that team to say that they would have beat Paintsville like a drum that season. I watched both teams on more then one occasion that season, and it wouldnt have happened. JC did have talent, but the athleticism wasn't their that matney has had. Name one back from the 01 through the 03 seasons that was near as good as Ron Blume, JJ Jude, and Shawn Grim. Closest one was Chad Yates, and he was good, but not in the ball park of those 3 I mentioned. Name a linebacker that was better in 01-03 that was better then Blake Johnson or Michael Tackett. That Paintsville team in 01 took a state runner up team in pburg and played them really tough, and your saying they would have beat them like a drum? so im not wrong, i watched kids on both teams in those years, had cousins that played in both programs. The 01 team would have beat JC, but other then that team, i will agree that Matney would have beat PHS like a drum. The only reason why central lost in the 20-13 game is because Scotty Mccoy screwed up and kicked like a 10 yard punt, if not for that JC would have won that game. So I agree that other then one season after Musick, Matney would have beat phs and I agree that the coaching wasn't near as good and their was some good talent, but Matney has coached a lot better talent. :Thumbs:
Not totally agreeing with you there. JC had pretty much both lines returning in 01. That may have been the best offensive and defensive lines in JC's
history. If not, it still ranks up there with some of the best.I agree with Hoot. Paintsville did have a good team that year, but if JC had had a healthy head coach they would IMO have still beaten Paintsville handily.

You make mention of the great running backs under Matney. Yes they have been, but Matney's system is as much responsible for the RB's successes as anything. Not taking anything away from the latest string of RB's that have went though Central during the Matney era, but I think even slightly above average RB talent can flourish in the Matney system and put up impressive stats.
Superman20 Wrote:I watched that talent that your talking about a lot from the time they were in elementary school on through high school. The 01 team ( i had to look it up) wasn't that talented at JC. They lost Casey Music, Scott Salyer, jeremy murray, jeremy perry, tj music, and a few other players that were studs on the 00 team. You must have a son in that age group or was on that team to say that they would have beat Paintsville like a drum that season. I watched both teams on more then one occasion that season, and it wouldnt have happened. JC did have talent, but the athleticism wasn't their that matney has had. Name one back from the 01 through the 03 seasons that was near as good as Ron Blume, JJ Jude, and Shawn Grim. Closest one was Chad Yates, and he was good, but not in the ball park of those 3 I mentioned. Name a linebacker that was better in 01-03 then Blake Johnson or Michael Tackett. That Paintsville team in 01 took a state runner up team in pburg and played them really tough, and your saying they would have beat them like a drum? so im not wrong, i watched kids on both teams in those years, had cousins that played in both programs. The 01 team would have beat JC, but other then that team, i will agree that Matney would have beat PHS like a drum. The only reason why central lost in the 20-13 game is because Scotty Mccoy screwed up and kicked like a 10 yard punt, if not for that JC would have won that game. So I agree that other then one season after Musick, Matney would have beat phs and I agree that the coaching wasn't near as good and their was some good talent, but Matney has coached a lot better talent. :Thumbs:
It is strange how bad coaching and a lack of talent look so much alike. Since Johnson County Middle School has been built, how many times has Paintsville's combined 7th and 8th grade teams ever beaten Johnson County? How many times have they even come close to beating them?

You are right. I had a son who started as a freshman on that 10-0 team. If I recall correctly, his 8th grade team led Paintsville's 7-8th grade team 48-0 at halftime. That same year, my younger son's 7th grade team beat Paintsville's 8th grade team 21-7 and the following year, I believe that his team only 36-0 at the half. There may have been an isolated game or two where JCMS has not thoroughly dominated Paintsville, but I do not recall any.

Paintsville's small enrollment means that they must have strong contributions by their underclassmen to field a competitive football team. None of their individual classes has as much talent as JCMS does. So do you think that those players who dominated Paintsville at the middle school level suddenly became less talented when they played for Humphrey and Ross? I don't think so.

I have nothing against Paintsville's program but athletic talent is spread pretty evenly over Johnson County. The difference is that Johnson Central's talent pool is several times bigger than Paintsville's. For many years, Paintsville's superior (and stable) coaching staff was able to prevail against Johnson Central but that was the primary reason that Paintsville led the series when it came to a merciful end. Walter Brugh and David Lemaster are the reasons why Paintsville had the upper hand for so many years - not superior talent.
oneijoe Wrote:Whoa...what did I say to set you off ?? If it's the bold faced words, I'll take it back for 1974 and 1975 (first 2 years of Apple Bowl).

I'm no expert on the series, but I did grow up about 13 miles from it and have always been a football fan.

Go back and re-read what I wrote. I never made the claim "...the apple bowl only mattered to Paintsville for one year in the entire series...". What I said was, there was only ONE year in which Paintsville approached beating Central "as bad as they wanted". And that was in reply to GOLDFISH's memory of Paintsville dominance. That's all. If anything, I'd say Paintsville took the series more to heart than Central at the beginning. Why ? Because Central won the 1st game of the series in a HUGE upset !!

Relax, my friend...I'm NOT anti-Central (not since they've fixed they've righted their football program, anyway).

:please:
I think when you implied that Central has always had a huge advantage from DAY ONE, is where you might have added fodder for Don Carlo's comment. That is totally not true. Johnson Central didn't even have a field to play on (and a poor excuse for one to practice on) for several years. They played all of their home games on Paintsville's field if I remember correctly.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:It is strange how bad coaching and a lack of talent look so much alike. Since Johnson County Middle School has been built, how many times has Paintsville's combined 7th and 8th grade teams ever beaten Johnson County? How many times have they even come close to beating them?

You are right. I had a son who started as a freshman on that 10-0 team. If I recall correctly, his 8th grade team led Paintsville's 7-8th grade team 48-0 at halftime. That same year, my younger son's 7th grade team beat Paintsville's 8th grade team 21-7 and the following year, I believe that his team only 36-0 at the half. There may have been an isolated game or two where JCMS has not thoroughly dominated Paintsville, but I do not recall any.

Paintsville's small enrollment means that they must have strong contributions by their underclassmen to field a competitive football team. None of their individual classes has as much talent as JCMS does. So do you think that those players who dominated Paintsville at the middle school level suddenly became less talented when they played for Humphrey and Ross? I don't think so.

I have nothing against Paintsville's program but athletic talent is spread pretty evenly over Johnson County. The difference is that Johnson Central's talent pool is several times bigger than Paintsville's. For many years, Paintsville's superior (and stable) coaching staff was able to prevail against Johnson Central but that was the primary reason that Paintsville led the series when it came to a merciful end. Walter Brugh and David Lemaster are the reasons why Paintsville had the upper hand for so many years - not superior talent.

I see your points because your correct on the middle school dominating paintsville's. More then likely, that team from 01 I was talking about got beat pretty good in middle school. Im not sure, to be honest. I can't remember back that far! lol All I can say is those players on that team, developed into very good athletes in high school. Good coaching may have been why, or maybe they had good work ethics, im not sure. You can't judge a player by how talented he is in middle school. They might not gain much speed, might not work out hard, etc. Prime example, Chet Griffith when he was a fullback at JCMS. People bragged about him constantly and in middle school he was "the man", in high school he didn't get any faster and his skills didn't improve at all. People claimed he was going to break every record that JC had. He was a good boy and it was sad the expectations that they put on him at that age. He peaked at an early age, and didn't even start at fullback and wasn't near as talented as the Webb kid. I would also bet their were a few better fullbacks then Griffith on that team. Their are several factors that can happen once kids get into high school. All i know is that by the time that bunch was in high school, phs was more talented. Their wasn't anyone at JC in the secondary better then the Arms twins and Tate Harmon, wasn't a better reciever then Dustin Hall or Ryan Jarrell, and Chas Harmon could throw a football better then anyone on JC's roster. Wasn't a lineman on that team that was better then Ryan Brown because Paul Webb was very overrated. They both got d1 scholarships, but anyone that had watched him play knew Paul wasn't d1 material. Now you got me wondering, I dont remember a freshman starting on the 00 team. Im lucky to even remember what I did last week, let alone 10 years ago so thats probably why. That 00 apple bowl was a good game. Man, both of those teams were fun to watch. Everyone doubted that 00 JC team before that season. People thought they wouldn't be near as good as the 99 team and they ended up being better. Anyways, im done with this thread. I have nothing else to say about it. I agree with some points and disagree on a few others.
I am just wondering as to who the Football Players from Paintsville and Johnson Central where that played in D1. I know just a few, but honestly have no idea of the scope. Help?
mr.charlie hustle Wrote:I am just wondering as to who the Football Players from Paintsville and Johnson Central where that played in D1. I know just a few, but honestly have no idea of the scope. Help?

Ryan Brown played for James Madison, and Paul Webb had a scholarship to UK. Im not sure how long either went but they both signed letters of intent.
I don't think JC has ever had a D1 football player (but there has been plenty of players who have recieved scholarships and offers). But I could be wrong... I have been before.

As far as Paintsville goes.... Redneck might be able to answer that one.
Superman20 Wrote:I see your points because your correct on the middle school dominating paintsville's. More then likely, that team from 01 I was talking about got beat pretty good in middle school. Im not sure, to be honest. I can't remember back that far! lol All I can say is those players on that team, developed into very good athletes in high school. Good coaching may have been why, or maybe they had good work ethics, im not sure. You can't judge a player by how talented he is in middle school. They might not gain much speed, might not work out hard, etc. Prime example, Chet Griffith when he was a fullback at JCMS. People bragged about him constantly and in middle school he was "the man", in high school he didn't get any faster and his skills didn't improve at all. People claimed he was going to break every record that JC had. He was a good boy and it was sad the expectations that they put on him at that age. He peaked at an early age, and didn't even start at fullback and wasn't near as talented as the Webb kid. I would also bet their were a few better fullbacks then Griffith on that team. Their are several factors that can happen once kids get into high school. All i know is that by the time that bunch was in high school, phs was more talented. Their wasn't anyone at JC in the secondary better then the Arms twins and Tate Harmon, wasn't a better reciever then Dustin Hall or Ryan Jarrell, and Chas Harmon could throw a football better then anyone on JC's roster. Wasn't a lineman on that team that was better then Ryan Brown and he got a D1 scholarship, which proves my point. Now you got me wondering, I dont remember a freshman starting on the 00 team. Im lucky to even remember what I did last week, let alone 10 years ago so thats probably why. That 00 apple bowl was a good game. Man, both of those teams were fun to watch. Everyone doubted that 00 JC team before that season. People thought they wouldn't be near as good as the 99 team and they ended up being better. Anyways, im done with this thread. I have nothing else to say about it. I agree with some points and disagree on a few others.
Chet Griffith would have been a different player had Matney taken over the program in 2001, as would have everybody else on that team. Paintsville has always had some talented players and they always will have but bad coaching could make them look much less talented as it did at Johnson Central.

The secret to Paintsville's success in the past was solid coaching. I can still remember Walter Brugh flattering me from 6th grade through 8th grade as a potential PHS football player. That was what he did in the off season. When my family moved out of the district, he told me that if I wanted to play football at Paintsville, he would find a ride to school for me. Paintsville coaches back then used the carrot and the stick. If you chose not to play football, you could expect to be asked repeatedly why a big (or fast, or strong, etc.) boy like you did not come out for football. There was a lot of peer pressure to play in those days as well. Very few good Paintsville athletes dared to say no to Coach Brugh. That is part of what is missing today from Paintsville football.

It is ironic that Paintsville had a coach in David Lemaster who actually beat a Matney coached team at least once. But a lot of Paintsville alumni were never satisfied with Burr's calm demeanor and low key approach to coaching. Paintsville lost one of the best football coaches in eastern Kentucky when he decided to quit coaching. I would have loved to have seen him take over at Johnson Central when Musick left.

As long as Matney coaches Johnson Central, Paintsville will not have a team that will be anywhere near the Golden Eagles' level and it has nothing to do with talent and everything to do with superior numbers and good coaching. Even if Coach Lemaster had kept coaching Paintsville, the Tigers would not likely have beaten JC either but they would have fielded a much more competitive team than they have now.

The people who did not appreciate Lemaster as a coach are getting what they deserve but it is a shame that the players are suffering the consequences. Having lived through three very lean years of Johnson Central football, I sympathize and I hope things start to turn around soon for the Tigers.
I know Paul signed a letter of intent to UK, and Chris Deaton played at Marshall. About the only two I can think of. Seems like Mike Bowlin when he was the fullback at JC had a few small D1 schools look at him. Thats all i can remember from JC. As far as paintsville, Joey Couch is the only one other then Ryan that I can think of
I've been reading some of the posts on here... and the memories are replaying in my head.

The 2003 Apple Bowl (Paintsville won 20-13) was possibly the worst football game I have ever seen. I'm serious, it was awful. Then in 2004, JC beat Paintsville like they owed us money. In 2005, JC won BIG, but wymt did a post-game interview Matney and he said something that I would love to have a copy of "The days of pushing Johnson Central around on the football field are over!" The 2006 Apple Bowl, Paintsville got what they had coming to them, somebody made a very offensive top 10 list about a starting player who has life a little harder than the rest of us, the score could have been 100-0 if Matney wanted it to be.

I could go on like this forever.... like in 2002, JC had Paintsville down 12-0 at halftime, but Paintsville came back to win 45-30. (that game still makes me sick)
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Chet Griffith would have been a different player had Matney taken over the program in 2001, as would have everybody else on that team. Paintsville has always had some talented players and they always will have but bad coaching could make them look much less talented as it did at Johnson Central.

The secret to Paintsville's success in the past was solid coaching. I can still remember Walter Brugh flattering me from 6th grade through 8th grade as a potential PHS football player. That was what he did in the off season. When my family moved out of the district, he told me that if I wanted to play football at Paintsville, he would find a ride to school for me. Paintsville coaches back then used the carrot and the stick. If you chose not to play football, you could expect to be asked repeatedly why a big (or fast, or strong, etc.) boy like you did not come out for football. There was a lot of peer pressure to play in those days as well. Very few good Paintsville athletes dared to say no to Coach Brugh. That is part of what is missing today from Paintsville football.

It is ironic that Paintsville had a coach in David Lemaster who actually beat a Matney coached team at least once. But a lot of Paintsville alumni were never satisfied with Burr's calm demeanor and low key approach to coaching. Paintsville lost one of the best football coaches in eastern Kentucky when he decided to quit coaching. I would have loved to have seen him take over at Johnson Central when Musick left.

As long as Matney coaches Johnson Central, Paintsville will not have a team that will be anywhere near the Golden Eagles' level and it has nothing to do with talent and everything to do with superior numbers and good coaching. Even if Coach Lemaster had kept coaching Paintsville, the Tigers would not likely have beaten JC either but they would have fielded a much more competitive team than they have now.

The people who did not appreciate Lemaster as a coach are getting what they deserve but it is a shame that the players are suffering the consequences. Having lived through three very lean years of Johnson Central football, I sympathize and I hope things start to turn around soon for the Tigers.

Your right. I can agree that JC should beat paintsville every year because of the numbers. JC has done everything right in their coaching hires. Used to, paintsville had better coaching in almost every sport. Since Bill Mike retired, and Burrhead resigned that hasn't been the case. Like I have said on here before, the schools have completely flip flopped. It's all Paintsville's administrations fault, and in the past it was Jc's fault. Atleast when JC tried to replace musick, they went after coaches that actually had coaching experience, instead of what PHS did by giving the job to a man with one years experience. lol