Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
KHSAA Basketball Rule Proposal
By: Kevin B. Conley
KHSGN Publisher

LEXINGTON, Ky. - The Kentucky High School Athletic Association will hold their annual meeting this month in Lexington. Among the items on the agenda is a proposal that could change the way games are counted toward the total amount allowed prior to post-season competition. Under the new proposal, teams would be allowed to play a total of 30 regular-season games with no exception for tournament play. The following is the proposed change to the current rule.

Complete Story
That rule would simplify the process and not hurt anything.
I agree.
I don't like the rule that says no sports can take away from school time (except b-ball).
No exceptions should be made.
Sometimes, especially during football playoffs, it is very difficult for teams to leave after school hours and have time to arrive in time to have ample time to prepare for kickoff.
What is complicated and wrong about the previous rule. In my opinion, the KHSAA is like the NCAA, they try to change things that are not broken and will not fix things that are. Also, where is the rule that basketball teams can leave school and football can't. In Letcher County, the football team leaves school early every year for games and I have no problem with that due to having a long drive, especially in district games, but I do know that basketball and volleyball is always running late to get to their games as they have to wait until school is dismissed and for the bus to get back from its school route.
OrangenowBlue Wrote:What is complicated and wrong about the previous rule. In my opinion, the KHSAA is like the NCAA, they try to change things that are not broken and will not fix things that are. Also, where is the rule that basketball teams can leave school and football can't. In Letcher County, the football team leaves school early every year for games and I have no problem with that due to having a long drive, especially in district games, but I do know that basketball and volleyball is always running late to get to their games as they have to wait until school is dismissed and for the bus to get back from its school route.
Bylaw 25. Limitation of Seasons
Sec. 1) General Provisions Concerning All Sports
a) School Time shall not:
Be lost for travel to or from, or participation in, any regular
season interscholastic athletic contest.

Are you saying that Letcher Central is not following this rule?
Benchwarmer Wrote:Bylaw 25. Limitation of Seasons
Sec. 1) General Provisions Concerning All Sports
a) School Time shall not:
Be lost for travel to or from, or participation in, any regular
season interscholastic athletic contest.

Are you saying that Letcher Central is not following this rule?

Not many schools are due to the longevity and distances teams have to travel just for district games. I do think the rule needs to be changed to allow football teams ample time to get to their destination, stretch and warm-up. This would cause less injuries.
Louisville Moore is coming to LCC on Oct 29. Now will they wait until after school to leave? When Knott County travels to Corbin are they waiting until 3:30 p.m. or will they leave a little earlier.
OrangenowBlue Wrote:Louisville Moore is coming to LCC on Oct 29. Now will they wait until after school to leave? When Knott County travels to Corbin are they waiting until 3:30 p.m. or will they leave a little earlier.

Verry good points. Just like when Highlands had to go to Johnson Central one week during the playoffs, and then the next week they had to go to Whitley Co again. There has to be exceptions to the rule. I agree if it takes two hours to get there, and you leave at 3:30, then yes it is OK. Traveling 4 and a half miles to a game to make it on time should allow you to leave early.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
I would rather know my son left a little early and the bus driver not be pressured and maybe make a mistake or speed to get there on time.
Former Cheerleader Wrote:I would rather know my son left a little early and the bus driver not be pressured and maybe make a mistake or speed to get there on time.

You dont have to worry too much about speed all of the cheese wagons or school buses whichever you prefer, are all governed to 65 MPH.
Very true, However even at 65 if a person feels rushed to get somewhere a mistake can occur.
You are fortunate if your teams get to leave at 3:30 pm on lengthy trips, at most Floyd Co. schools the earliest to get a bus for a trip is between 4:30 and 4:45, after they have finished their scheduled runs.
I mean what happens if you aren't following that rule....
do you vacate wins?
I'd say just about all the schools around here break that one.
The proposal was passed at the annual meeting Monday.