Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shelby Valley's future
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:I think that the biggest factor in next years team will the defense. I think that if the team has picked up on these kinds of defensive schemes, they can really pick up on and be a very strong team in the 15th. As always what is going to be the definition of this team will be the defense.

Valley will need help on defense. But, their offense will be pretty good next year.
Yea, I agree. I thought the defense would be the part that stick with the team because of practice but when the 2nd string boys got in each time this year, there was a incredible difference in intensity.
valley wont make it to the states for several years
kyfan2325 Wrote:valley wont make it to the states for several years

....disagree. I believe that the concensus on this board has said that it would be maybe 2-3 years before they can get to be a regional power again. This year, they may very well be around the 6th or 7th down into the region.
[SIZE="4"]
[COLOR="Blue"]Shelby Valley High School:
2009 and 2010 All "A" State Champions and 2010 Kentucky Sweet 16 State Champions
MaxPreps National Champions!![/SIZE][/COLOR][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
They have a transfer kid there now and it might make a difference but there seems to a problem with his transfer. I heard this kid lives in WV and he played some varsity ball so don't know if he'll have to sit a year or play.
The transfer will make a big difference. He scores inside and out. Along with the other transfers.
kyfan2325 Wrote:They have a transfer kid there now and it might make a difference but there seems to a problem with his transfer. I heard this kid lives in WV and he played some varsity ball so don't know if he'll have to sit a year or play.

I havent heard about that. When did the transfer happen and what position is the kid?
[SIZE="4"]
2009 and 2010 All "A" State Champions and 2010 Kentucky Sweet 16 State Champions
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:I havent heard about that. When did the transfer happen and what position is the kid?

I think he transferred in last week.

You may remember Keaton Johnson, who played for Virgie his 8th grade year. Well, I think he moved to Logan and played for them the last two years, he is back at Valley and probably expected to play this year.
No way a title run is going to happen any time soon.
Give it time though....Valley is always a threat to win the 15th.
Valley will suprise alot of people this year.
ive got to agree w/ trufan... valley will win region next year!.. but not a game at state.
Valley did get Keaton Johnson, he's from Logan west Virginia. He was on their team but didnt play. They also got Christian Bartley from east ridge. Look for a region championship and dont be surprised when it happens. Starting lineup at valley with the positions.
1.) point guard-Logan Lucas
2.) shooting guard- Rusty Roberts
3.) small forward- Trey Roberts
4.) power forward- Christian Bartley
5.) center- Keaton Johnson
They also got Bret Reynolds who plays like a beast....he is very strong and plays with alot of heart he will play good minutes this year!!!
I think valley will not win region but there's a good chance that they do, but i see them easily taking district then playing way up into regions and if they do go to state i would be very very impressed...but good luck to them!
haha, i see some trouble wih that line up.
wheres jacob robinson, brett reynolds?? maybe cody belter if his strength improves an dont forget about tim smith, the new boy from louisville, i have seen him handle the ball an hes no joke.
valley will suprise many this year, there will be no doubt in that my friends.
hahahaha, i still cant get over you putting keaton johnson as starting center for valley.
you do stand up?
SVBSoccer Wrote:haha, i see some trouble wih that line up.
wheres jacob robinson, brett reynolds?? maybe cody belter if his strength improves an dont forget about tim smith, the new boy from louisville, i have seen him handle the ball an hes no joke.
valley will suprise many this year, there will be no doubt in that my friends.
well considering your name has soccer in it you dont know much about shelby valley basketball or coach greg newsome. he wants to win so hes not gonna play kids with bad attitudes and wants to fight all the time. wheres jake robinson? good question. now heres the answer ON THE BENCH! he could start but thats if he out works logan lucas which i dont see it happening. but who am i to call these shots? we will let coach newsome do that. Brett reynolds? yea hes good and help valley over the summer but they didnt have christian bartley or keaton johnson. so bye bye brett reynolds. cody belter? going to be very very good. if he gets stronger and works. only reason keaton starts over him is because he brings alot more to the table right now than cody belter. but i hope to see jake play hes a good kid and i enjoy watching him play. he shoots the lights out. i say valley looks a little like this next year.
STARTERS- logan lucas, rusty roberts, trey roberts, christian bartley, keaton johnson.
BENCH- jake robinson, dalton richardson, cody belter, jordan robinson.
the big key is if jake robinson dont get mad and quit cause he dont start. and how well dalton and jordan robinson do. cause the other 7 will do their part and help shelby valley.
SHELBY VALLEY MAKES IT BAKE TO STATE!:Thumbs:
I hope Valley can rebuild and at least win Region again.
The Cody boy, is he from Dorton? I believe I have played with him a few times at Dorton, Yes, he is tall, but needs to work on that strength
They will have a promising future.
Have you ever watched Bret play? He's very very strong! and will help them out inside alot he may not be the tallest but he plays like a beast! Christian barltey is nothing special IMO, Keaton will not play center he will most likley play pf or sf when tray is not in.
Good luck to Coach Newsome! He is a very good coach and an even better person.
Interesting lineup to say the least and it will be exciting to see how they stack up with the rest of the region!
[SIZE="4"]
christian bartley played 2 years at sv then last year at east ridge. now he is back at valley? is he eligible at sv this year?
Christian should be able to play. From what I know, his father has been really sick and that was his biggest reason for not being at Valley his Jr. year. He lived with his grandmother while his father took treatments for cancer in Houston,Texas and other illnesses he had. I know the family and Christian well, he is a great kid and will make Valley a tough team to beat. I've seen the kid play since he was in the 8th grade. His 8th grade and Freshman year he was one of the better players in the County for his age group. He hurt his knee around mid season of his Freshman year and never really seemed to recover the rest of that season. Coach Booher had a chance to develop Christian and the other kids his age and younger when he had those big 40 and 50 point leads,but he didn't. I can't imagine that he or any other kid in that situation would be penalized over something out of his control.
you cant guard me, hahahaha. " kids that want to fight all the time??"
i see you know me. an i know you, an you say i know nothing about basketball when i played on the championship team? i might not be the best but by*** i gave it H**l everytime i went out there an you know it, an sometimes did a really good job, an you know i had to lead the jv team in assists. so say what you want to about me but i still think your line up is a lil wacky. oh yeah and i dont blame jake, he should start an he will probably quit if he doesnt start. you would too.
Vally will be good next year, but there is a lot of teams that could win Region next year. You also have to consider, though a lot of these boys did play on the team last year that won state, but how many of them were major roleplayers? They're going to have a few heart breaking moments next year as the year goes along because a lot of them are not truily battled tested yet. Yes I know practicing against the team they had last year goes a long way, but being in a game when it matters adds a bit more reality to the game. I think this team will need to make a serious run at All A before you could start saying they are the favorites to win the Region. And please do not take that as me hating on Valley, but take it from the point of view that this team has a lot to prove and everyone else has a lot to learn about them. I think after the All A tournament you will get a better understanding of where they stand because Betsy Layne and Johnson Central are very popular picks to win Region, and to win All A this year, Valley will have to go through Betsy Layne.

As for in the years to come, Valley will be really tough in the next two or three years but so will the rest of the region. Winning the 15th is not going to be easy as the current grade schoolers start to get to the upper grades. Remember how good everyone else around here was! Betsy Layne's grade school finished third in state last year and added big Tyler Daniels from South Floyd. Johnson Central beat Betsy Layne multiple times, along with Hazard and I believe Virgie (not 100% sure about that so don't execute me if I am wrong.) Valley brings Dorton and Virgie together which will be tough. East Ridge will have last year's Pike County championship team together along with the kids from Elkhorn who made the final four last year and scared Virgie in the that game to death. And lastly, Pike Central will have this talented Johns Creek team that is coming up along with some of the key players from Mullins team last year that showed at times they could be as good as anyone in the County. Fact is, there is no favorite to control this region over the next few years, and winning this region will make any team either battle tested for State or beaten to death for it. I know winning state is hard for schools around here, but I would not be surprised if the 15th pulls it off again within the next 5 years...just not sure with who.
bball_fan Wrote:Vally will be good next year, but there is a lot of teams that could win Region next year. You also have to consider, though a lot of these boys did play on the team last year that won state, but how many of them were major roleplayers? They're going to have a few heart breaking moments next year as the year goes along because a lot of them are not truily battled tested yet. Yes I know practicing against the team they had last year goes a long way, but being in a game when it matters adds a bit more reality to the game. I think this team will need to make a serious run at All A before you could start saying they are the favorites to win the Region. And please do not take that as me hating on Valley, but take it from the point of view that this team has a lot to prove and everyone else has a lot to learn about them. I think after the All A tournament you will get a better understanding of where they stand because Betsy Layne and Johnson Central are very popular picks to win Region, and to win All A this year, Valley will have to go through Betsy Layne.

As for in the years to come, Valley will be really tough in the next two or three years but so will the rest of the region. Winning the 15th is not going to be easy as the current grade schoolers start to get to the upper grades. Remember how good everyone else around here was! Betsy Layne's grade school finished third in state last year and added big Tyler Daniels from South Floyd. Johnson Central beat Betsy Layne multiple times, along with Hazard and I believe Virgie (not 100% sure about that so don't execute me if I am wrong.) Valley brings Dorton and Virgie together which will be tough. East Ridge will have last year's Pike County championship team together along with the kids from Elkhorn who made the final four last year and scared Virgie in the that game to death. And lastly, Pike Central will have this talented Johns Creek team that is coming up along with some of the key players from Mullins team last year that showed at times they could be as good as anyone in the County. Fact is, there is no favorite to control this region over the next few years, and winning this region will make any team either battle tested for State or beaten to death for it. I know winning state is hard for schools around here, but I would not be surprised if the 15th pulls it off again within the next 5 years...just not sure with who.

Good post! I think that everything is very accurate and paints a good picture of how open the region will be this year. I am not completely sold on how Valley will be (I will not base anything off of summer ball), but I am sure they can fight hard and contend in the region. Like you said these boys have got to go through the practices with the some of the most solid players in the state last year, and the y effects there skills more than most people would think. I say that they will not win the region this year but they will fight and compete in every game and be around 4th or 5th in the region. Once again man, good post!
[SIZE="4"]
I think Elkhorn City also beat #1 seed from the North division(Mullins) in the county fairly easy so they are better than some think.Virgie's 7th grade team finished in the final four at KBA state(there are no 3rd place games at the state tournament). The 15th region will be much improved overall the next few years.Johnson Central did beat Virgie and Betsy Layne several times but Hazard beat Johnson Central 2 out of 3. Look for Johnson Central, Shelby Valley and Betsy Layne to lead the way along with East Ridge and Pike Central right there with them.......Look out for Magoffin over the next two years also.
Question for all Betsy Layne posters. Will Jr. Newsome be there to see these talented middle school teams through the next 4 years? No disrespect, so please don't misinterpret that way, because he is a great coach, one of the best ever in the 15th region, but he must be close to 70 years old. He was coaching back in the late 1960's or early 1970's when I lived in Floyd County. Who is in line to replace him will be a big question on how far these boys go.
From what im hearing Brandon Kidd is in line for the job when Coach Newsome retires. This is comming from many parents and higher up people. Brandon is now back at Betsy Layne as JR's assistant this year. Good Luck to the Bobcats and Brandon if this is true. I think they need to keep this job in the program, bright future.
Since I changed the topic this thread to Betsy Layne's future by total accident, I would just like to add my two cents! I coached with Brandon for two years and he would be a great fit for Betsy Layne when Jr. chooses to step back. Hiring him this year as a assistant was a great move because the kids respect him and listen to him really well. The parents are excited about the move and quite honestly, bringing a Betsy Layne boy back who is young enough to lead this team for many years to come is a great move by the school.