Poll: Who wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Russell
32.50%
Greenup County
67.50%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Russell @ Greenup County 8/28
ryanparker Wrote:I agree with those being the 3 competitive games on Ashland's schedule, although I would include the rest of the teams in Highlands district as well. Remember a pretty good Ashland team was demolished last year at home by the 3 seed Dixie Heights.

I think everyone was surprised to see Greenup not get blown out by Ashland.

i said highlands only because i believe outside of highlands that district isnt as good as last year cov cath is down and scott usually isnt any good and from what i heard the qb at dixie is legit but no weapons around him but i guess we will see
Musketeer Wrote:This is Greenup's year! They need to work on their pass defense, (the corners need work!) Fix the small mental mistakes and stick it to Russell all 4 quarters and they will win this one.

I think GC's pass defense will be just fine, they wont see a qb reciever combo like that the rest of the year!
TheGamer Wrote:I think GC's pass defense will be just fine, they wont see a qb reciever combo like that the rest of the year!

raceland has a good qb dont know about wr though but your prob right about that unless they go deep in playoffs and play boyle co which will be tough to get through bell co to get there if they beat lawrence co.
Greenup Co. Will dominate 48-18
FBALL Wrote:I'm not going to crown Greenup rulers of the football world just yet. Yes Ashland is good and has alot of speed. The Tomcats are playing with a whole new group of line backers and lost the heart and soul of there offense and defense from last season. I believe after the big plays in the first half Ashland did a much better job in the second half containing the Musketeers offense.
Greenup will come in favored and should be against a very young Russell team. But let's see how it plays out. I don't see anybody naming the score.

I would say it was not exactly business as usual for Ashland to get prepared for GC this year. Everybody knew they would come out to play but they also knew the look would likely be very different from last year's squad. After the coaching staff got a good look in the first half, Greenup scored 6 points after the half on an 'adjusted' Ashland defense.

I don't see Greenup running away with this, but they can win.
I thought I read on here someplace that Ashland had 4 starters out for the Greenup game. Now if that is accurate it just may have had an impact on how well Greenup did.
Last year's starting corner was out (Prichard) and the guy who was to start at monster was out (Bush). Only two players, but still, two important players. But every cloud has a silver lining as they say, it gave Salow and Lucas a chance to get their feet on the ground.

Home field advantage can be the deciding factor in a close game too, so Russell has to not let up if they get the lead.
Greenup by 7
FBALL Wrote:I'm not going to crown Greenup rulers of the football world just yet. Yes Ashland is good and has alot of speed. The Tomcats are playing with a whole new group of line backers and lost the heart and soul of there offense and defense from last season. I believe after the big plays in the first half Ashland did a much better job in the second half containing the Musketeers offense.

Greenup will come in favored and should be against a very young Russell team. But let's see how it plays out. I don't see anybody naming the score.

Russell will have the advantage of getting to see the game film that should help morris getting his defense ready for all the motion an audibles at the los. They are really strong an marsh can flat out run the football!! If you were there you saw that, if Russell can slow the running game down like Ashland did in the second half they should hang with them. If they can't Marsh will have a field day! Or maybe he just played the best game of his life an he's one an done??? Will see!!
Give credit where credit is due. Marsh and Lyle are two great backs with power and speed and they will have a great year respectively. But after watching Greenup's O'line dominate Ashland's D'line and Hardy in particular, the Greenup boys are just too big and strong. Look for some big holes being opened up by [COLOR="SeaGreen"]Potter #64 6'4 285, Grayson #79 6'1 285, Abrams #62 5'10 285, Tackett 6'2 260, Thorton 5'10 170, Harr 6'6 285 (should be returning to the lineup soon) [/COLOR]These are some real horses and they will give opponents fits all year.
ryanparker Wrote:That's a pretty big compliment. Comparing a school that hasn't had a winning record since 2002 to Johnson Central suggests a Lawrence County-like turnaround for Greenup this season.

Yea I know, but facts r facts, gotta believe what I saw with my own eyes, that was not the greenup co. Of Yesteryear that I saw on Friday night. I agree with f-ball in that I wouldn't crown them king of the football world just yet, but what I will say is whomever is up next on their schedule better buckle there chinstrap! As for the Johnson central comparison has much as it pains me to give any praise to Central they are very good. GC did have a good ground game reminisant of JC for about 2 1/2 quarters, til Ashland adjusted an got the right personel in there to stop it. With that said from that point on THEY WONT BE SUPRISING ANYONE now, "advantage"; everyone else on there schedule! So I think Russell WILL be prepared, but doesn't mean they can stop them!?
Dont forget Lyle had 136 yrds also. I think either back has the potenial to get 200+ in any game behind that big strong line of GC's. Russell is in trouble, this is no East Carter.
I think it will be important for Russell to get off to a fast start. Either score first or get a turnover. Since Greenup isn't used to beating Russell, this might plant a seed of doubt in Greenup's mind leading to the "here we go again" thoughts. That's the way last year's Russell-Greenup game went. A few Greenup mistakes, a punt return for a TD, a kickoff return for a TD, and the game was over before you knew it. Judging from how some of the last few Russell-Greenup basketball matchups have gone, I wouldn't be surprised to see a few personal fouls and unsportsmanlike conducts be a factor in this one as well. I don't think these teams like each other and I won't be surprised if this one gives fresh meaning to the term "brawl" in Backyard Brawl.
Kosar Wrote:Dont forget Lyle had 136 yrds also. I think either back has the potenial to get 200+ in any game behind that big strong line of GC's. Russell is in trouble, this is no East Carter.

I have no doubt that Russell will be prepared with a defensive schem to try an stop that running game, whether it will be affective or not is the question?
BADCAT74 Wrote:I have no doubt that Russell will be prepared with a defensive schem to try an stop that running game, whether it will be affective or not is the question?

That is the question...along with will Russell be able to find a way to move the ball against Greenup. The past few years, it has gotten frustrating as a fan to watch Russell beat their head against a brick wall running the Wing-T with personnel that couldn't compete against defenses like Ashland and Ironton. The way everyone is hyping Greenup, it sounds like that scene could be replayed come Saturday night. I have a bit more hope this year, though, that Russell at least has another "trick in the bag" so to speak with the shotgun spread formation they've shown a couple of times. It may or may not work, but all we can ask for is the willingness to try. Heck, Greenup may not be disciplined enough to stop the Wing-T attack. We'll see.

As for Russell stopping Greenup's running game...it sounds like BadCat is suggesting Russell might need 12 or 13 in the box in order to get it done. I guess a Russell fan can only hope that Greenup fumbles early and often.
i will say GC
Greenup 21-7
Greenup will have success on the ground no matter what defensive scheme Russell employs, Strength+Speed = big yards. G.C. 42 R 26
GColdtimer Wrote:Give credit where credit is due. Marsh and Lyle are two great backs with power and speed and they will have a great year respectively. But after watching Greenup's O'line dominate Ashland's D'line and Hardy in particular, the Greenup boys are just too big and strong. Look for some big holes being opened up by [COLOR="SeaGreen"]Potter #64 6'4 285, Grayson #79 6'1 285, Abrams #62 5'10 285, Tackett 6'2 260, Thorton 5'10 170, Harr 6'6 285 (should be returning to the lineup soon) [/COLOR]These are some real horses and they will give opponents fits all year.

Will Tackett be ready since he had a car wreck on Saturday?
I believe Greenup is favored and should be, but you cant deny that Ashland always starts off slow and finishes hard. Takes Ashland a couple games to get people in the right positions. Turnovers will be key in the outcome of the score, but then again. What do I know...I picked Boyd to beat Raceland. LOL
russell will have to be ready to play smash mouth football Saturday night. In the past Russell has had the advantage up front, now the shoe is on the other foot. Look for Marsh and Lyle to have a whale of a game. This is our year to finally beat Russell and at their own game, run, run, run, and punish the defense.
PTS21 Wrote:Will Tackett be ready since he had a car wreck on Saturday?

Tackett will be out for a few weeks. His replacement will most likely be Poplin, 6'2 235 lbs
Musketeer Wrote:Tackett will be out for a few weeks. His replacement will most likely be Poplin, 6'2 235 lbs
Will be Poplin or Nichols 6'6 220. Either way we dont lose any size, but do lose alot of experience. Tackett is probably our best lineman.
Well.....Here it goes. I know everybody was waiting to hear from me. I will have to say....I was way more impressed with Greenup than I was Ashland. If Not for untimely turnovers and a horrible pass defense greenup would have beaten Ashland Handily. With that being said I picked the Musketels to beat the Evils this Saturday but, It's an iffy pick. It's all about matchups. Ashlands Run defense was awful. Russells I hear is pretty good If Russell can Stop the Run GC will be in trouble because they can't pass or pass block at all. If Russell can't stop the run It will be a long Night for the Evils.
RAM-A-DEVIL Wrote:Well.....Here it goes. I know everybody was waiting to hear from me. I will have to say....I was way more impressed with Greenup than I was Ashland. If Not for untimely turnovers and a horrible pass defense greenup would have beaten Ashland Handily. With that being said I picked the Musketels to beat the Evils this Saturday but, It's an iffy pick. It's all about matchups. Ashlands Run defense was awful. Russells I hear is pretty good If Russell can Stop the Run GC will be in trouble because they can't pass or pass block at all. If Russell can't stop the run It will be a long Night for the Evils.

I think this is the first post I've ever seen from you saying something good about Greenup. With them playing Russell, though, I guess you're caught between a rock and a hard place this week, huh?
ryanparker Wrote:I think this is the first post I've ever seen from you saying something good about Greenup. With them playing Russell, though, I guess you're caught between a rock and a hard place this week, huh?

I just give credit where it is due. GC has a good team this year. I was at the Ashland game and was very impressed with Greenup. They should have beat Ashland. I think Russell has the Mental edge over GC but that's about it. If Russell can't stop GC on the ground they won't have a prayer. I'll be there Saturday.....we'll see.
RAM-A-DEVIL Wrote:Well.....Here it goes. I know everybody was waiting to hear from me. I will have to say....I was way more impressed with Greenup than I was Ashland. If Not for untimely turnovers and a horrible pass defense greenup would have beaten Ashland Handily. With that being said I picked the Musketels to beat the Evils this Saturday but, It's an iffy pick. It's all about matchups. Ashlands Run defense was awful. Russells I hear is pretty good If Russell can Stop the Run GC will be in trouble because they can't pass or pass block at all. If Russell can't stop the run It will be a long Night for the Evils.

The turnovers were untimely, Greenup was not just putting the ball on the ground because of handoff errors and the like.. There was some big time hits happening out there. I agree with all those who saw a much improved Greenup team. But, I also saw Ashland's defense actually improve during the game itself. I haven't seen anybody shut down Ashland's passing game since the 2008 season.

Greenup's line had the look of a much more polished and able unit against the Cats and the backfield wasn't taking any back water either. If Greenup brings out the same level of intensity at home this Friday (and I believe they will) I would have to agree with Ram-a-Devil, Russell could be in for a long night.
I can't wait to see Russell take a whoopping from GC. Copley will have the pass coverage worked out by saturday. That was a problem verses Ashland. I'm ready to see Marsh and Lyle run over some Devils.:popcorn: :biggrin:
I would pick Greenup but lets see here they haven't beaten Russell in a decade Greenup fans like to talk alot but history has a way of repeating itself give me my DEVILS and untill Greenup beats Rusell I don't want to hear you all chirping!
grim_reminder Wrote:I can't wait to see Russell take a whoopping from GC. Copley will have the pass coverage worked out by saturday. That was a problem verses Ashland. I'm ready to see Marsh and Lyle run over some Devils.:popcorn: :biggrin:

They wont need any pass coverage lol Id just take my dbs and blits them everyplay!!!! Russell dont pass!! or do they this year?? lol