Poll: Who wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Russell
32.50%
Greenup County
67.50%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Russell @ Greenup County 8/28
thoughts and predictions on the annual back yard brawl?
Greenup gets them this year
BIGRAMLOVER1979 Wrote:Greenup gets them this year
Sounds like Greenup could be a contender later in the year, if they keep the team, "a team". After the quick scoring of the Ashland game tonight Russell will definitly have to bring an A-game. I think with the "trench" warfare type of football that Russell brings, there will be alot of defense needed by both teams. If they go to the air early against Russell they may catch them off guard and Russell may hang thier heads early. But from what I seen tonight, the pass defense is a little stronger and they swarm the ball a little better this year. Impressed, but its still early in the season. Their is plenty of room for improvement for this young Russell team.
RUSSELL RED DEVILS
Greenup will not go to the air. As much as it pains me to say this. Greenup will just flatout run over Russell this year. To big to strong...
Russell should win, but I do believe that if Greenup was ever to win that this might be their time to do it. Keep your big and strong. I will take quick and fast.....and plus, We have big and strong also. LOL
Ram Fan04 Wrote:Greenup will not go to the air. As much as it pains me to say this. Greenup will just flatout run over Russell this year. To big to strong...

No they don't need to go to the air to win most games on there schedule they are that physical an have great speed in marsh! Honestly they remind me of Johnson central
the last few years. Not that I'm a fan of
them or anything but they are big physical
team with great backs like central.
Greenup takes this by 14+.
BADCAT74 Wrote:No they don't need to go to the air to win most games on there schedule they are that physical an have great speed in marsh! Honestly they remind me of Johnson central
the last few years. Not that I'm a fan of
them or anything but they are big physical
team with great backs like central.

That's a pretty big compliment. Comparing a school that hasn't had a winning record since 2002 to Johnson Central suggests a Lawrence County-like turnaround for Greenup this season.
I'd say it is that big of a turn around honestly..
i will go will Greenup
Greeenup 24-17
Score is up to Copley, that's if he calls the dogs off. Hampton will have a huge game against Russell. He went against Hardy(D-1 Talent) all night with a help of a double team and still made plays. Russell better have 9guys in the box to even think about stopping the run. The only way I can see Russell hurting Greenup is they come out throwing the ball, spreading it out and getting the QB out of the pocket. (GC-48 RHS-14)
rut row
Bench350 Wrote:Score is up to Copley, that's if he calls the dogs off. Hampton will have a huge game against Russell. He went against Hardy(D-1 Talent) all night with a help of a double team and still made plays. Russell better have 9guys in the box to even think about stopping the run. The only way I can see Russell hurting Greenup is they come out throwing the ball, spreading it out and getting the QB out of the pocket. (GC-48 RHS-14)

It's been a long time since Greenup could name the score against Russell.

I agree with the part about Russell needing to incorporate some passes into the plan against Greenup this week. Sounds like some screen passes would be particularly useful.
Sorry devils but the muskies are for real I would be scared down in Louisa as well
Wow.... Early predictions have Greenup taking it to Russell. I for one am a Greenup fan and would love to see them make this monster change that people are talking about. I realize that last nights game with Ashland was closer than the score on the board. I just feel that a team like Greenup needs to have some quality wins in thier pocket before we put them up on a pedestal and compare them to last years JC. Quality programs take years to develop. Maybe this is the year they come out of the shell. I hope they win lots of games this year. Any team who can hang with Ashland should do well. I think I will wait and see.
After watching GC and Ashland GC will run all over Russell. They just need to stop the 4th quarter turnovers. The Devils need to be ready for this one.
Greenup Machine will roll. As long as our D holds up.:devilflam
ryanparker Wrote:It's been a long time since Greenup could name the score against Russell.

I agree with the part about Russell needing to incorporate some passes into the plan against Greenup this week. Sounds like some screen passes would be particularly useful.

I see Russell passing every drive they have if they need to. Justin Davidson has great hands and at 6'5" and 240 can run a defendive back over after catching the pass. Patrick Cooper could give Greenup fits. The linemen better be fast or he will run right by them. I just don't see Greenup overpowering Russell and naming the score, but who knows maybe Kentucky will beat Ohio State to win the national championship.
3 players: Patrick Cooper, Justin Davidson, & Paul Spradlin. Russell 35 Greenup 21
Jeepman Wrote:I see Russell passing every drive they have if they need to. Justin Davidson has great hands and at 6'5" and 240 can run a defendive back over after catching the pass. Patrick Cooper could give Greenup fits. The linemen better be fast or he will run right by them. I just don't see Greenup overpowering Russell and naming the score, but who knows maybe Kentucky will beat Ohio State to win the national championship.
WOW Jeepman, I really love the sarcasm, but could you use Marshall instead of UK, next time......LOL:lmao:
RUSSELL RED DEVILS
Don't count Kentucky out. I will admit i should have said Marshall. You got me there.

I see the game being close. I would be very surprised if Greenup beats Russell by 14.

Russell 28

Greenup 27
I see Greenup Co. winning this, but not naming the score. The Muskies are just too big and too powerfull up with good backs to compliment them. I'm sure that Russell will have a solid game plan, but I don't think they will be able to shut down the runnig game. I don't know how good Russell's passing game is but it will have to be at least as good as Ashland's if they have any chance to pull this one out.
Greenup my very well win this one, but I think everyone is basing this on the Ashland/ Greenup score. Did anyone ever think that Ashland may just not be that good this year or is that a no no. I hope Hampton is faster than he was in Basketball. I do not feel he will be any problem at all.
It's really hard to tell how good Russell really is right now (after an EASY win over East Carter), but GC may be for real or Ashland's line may just be that weak (I DON'T KNOW), the real test will be this week though. I still say Russell MAY win this one but one things for sure, it's going to be tough and the DEVILS will know they were in a battle.
KYstraydog Wrote:Greenup my very well win this one, but I think everyone is basing this on the Ashland/ Greenup score. Did anyone ever think that Ashland may just not be that good this year or is that a no no. I hope Hampton is faster than he was in Basketball. I do not feel he will be any problem at all.

trust me the tomcats will be fine they have three games that are potential losses and thats ironton,johnson central, and whenever they have to play highlands
I'm not going to crown Greenup rulers of the football world just yet. Yes Ashland is good and has alot of speed. The Tomcats are playing with a whole new group of line backers and lost the heart and soul of there offense and defense from last season. I believe after the big plays in the first half Ashland did a much better job in the second half containing the Musketeers offense.

Greenup will come in favored and should be against a very young Russell team. But let's see how it plays out. I don't see anybody naming the score.
tomcatfan722000 Wrote:trust me the tomcats will be fine they have three games that are potential losses and thats ironton,johnson central, and whenever they have to play highlands

I agree with those being the 3 competitive games on Ashland's schedule, although I would include the rest of the teams in Highlands district as well. Remember a pretty good Ashland team was demolished last year at home by the 3 seed Dixie Heights.

I think everyone was surprised to see Greenup not get blown out by Ashland.
KYstraydog Wrote:Greenup my very well win this one, but I think everyone is basing this on the Ashland/ Greenup score. Did anyone ever think that Ashland may just not be that good this year or is that a no no. I hope Hampton is faster than he was in Basketball. I do not feel he will be any problem at all.

Ashland is plenty good. You sure didnt go to their scrimmage against Mason did you? And dont think Hampton will give you any problems. We had a guy like him last year in Beaver Lewis and he ran and caught the ball all over you guys.
This is Greenup's year! They need to work on their pass defense, (the corners need work!) Fix the small mental mistakes and stick it to Russell all 4 quarters and they will win this one.