Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Highlands/Johnson Central Rivalry?
Mueller seems to think we have the beginnings of one. After last years heated exchanges between JC fans and Bluebirds, I think he's on to something. Is this worthy of a rivalry? There were some questionable plays in last years' game that were addressed and both teams must agree that the past couple years outcomes were too close for comfort. What is the predominant attitude of JC fans toward the Birds? Is it one of respect, disdain, or a combination of both? How do the Birds view JC?
whackem'n'stackem Wrote:Mueller seems to think we have the beginnings of one. After last years heated exchanges between JC fans and Bluebirds, I think he's on to something. Is this worthy of a rivalry? There were some questionable plays in last years' game that were addressed and both teams must agree that the past couple years outcomes were too close for comfort. What is the predominant attitude of JC fans toward the Birds? Is it one of respect, disdain, or a combination of both? How do the Birds view JC?

What happened between JC fans and the bluebirds?
IMO for it to be a true rivalry JC is going to have to beat Highland from time to time.
I am a huge JC fan and i respect the program at Fort Thomas a ton. I also agree that it isn't a rivalry until we actually win a game against them.
I was at last years game, I must of missed the heated exchange???
Eagle_Fan442 Wrote:I was at last years game, I must of missed the heated exchange???

In reference to forum chatter....Game fans were civil and both sides were more than respectful.:Thumbs:
whackem'n'stackem Wrote:In reference to forum chatter....Game fans were civil and both sides were more than respectful.:Thumbs:

I think all of JC fans respect the Bluebirds. Highlands has a very good team.
The Eagles just want to get past them lol :biggrin:
I am sure Highlands will play next year. All your coach has to do is call. Does JC have the guts to do it.
former Wrote:I am sure Highlands will play next year. All your coach has to do is call. Does JC have the guts to do it.

I for one would love to see this happen for years to come.
Both coaches had interviews this week, and I found it funny that HHS coach welcomes private and public schools playing together; while JC's coach whines about public schools having to play the privates. Man up and beat anybody in your path and prove your the best is the attitude that Highlands has and JC should also follow it to if the want to be the best.
sstack Wrote:Both coaches had interviews this week, and I found it funny that HHS coach welcomes private and public schools playing together; while JC's coach whines about public schools having to play the privates. Man up and beat anybody in your path and prove your the best is the attitude that Highlands has and JC should also follow it to if the want to be the best.

Easily said but not easily backed up when everyone knows, including you hopefully, that private schools like HHS have an advantage over the normal public school. Now with that being said Matney was not whining he was simply answering a question that was asked. Sorry his answer wasn't what you wanted to hear. Maybe next time he will give you a call and run his answers by you before going on air. Last time i checked our schedule was pretty tough so we don't run from people. Wow for some reason i feel better now.
Bleed Black&Gold Wrote:Easily said but not easily backed up when everyone knows, including you hopefully, that private schools like HHS have an advantage over the normal public school. Now with that being said Matney was not whining he was simply answering a question that was asked. Sorry his answer wasn't what you wanted to hear. Maybe next time he will give you a call and run his answers by you before going on air. Last time i checked our schedule was pretty tough so we don't run from people. Wow for some reason i feel better now.

Private schools do have an advantage with the pool of talent to choose from. HHS is not private. It is a public school. I think most everyone knows, including Boyle, that JC is the team to beat this year.
Bleed Black&Gold Wrote:Easily said but not easily backed up when everyone knows, including you hopefully, that private schools like HHS have an advantage over the normal public school. Now with that being said Matney was not whining he was simply answering a question that was asked. Sorry his answer wasn't what you wanted to hear. Maybe next time he will give you a call and run his answers by you before going on air. Last time i checked our schedule was pretty tough so we don't run from people. Wow for some reason i feel better now.

When did Highlands become a private school and doesn't Johnson Central also get good players from neighboring counties.

the only advantage Highlands has, is that they have kids that commit year round to the football program and excellent coaching. You already have been reminded that HHS is a public school. And I could care less about what your coaches answer was, just made the point that he is not happy about having private schools play with public.I never said your program runs from people and have alot of respect for your program. I just do not know why he complains about the private schools? Your program has showed they can beat the privates. The other "big" advantage that HHS has that I forgot to mention is their excellent academics. Alot of parents move to Ft. Thomas for the number one reason of getting the best education posible for their kids.
OrangenowBlue Wrote:When did Highlands become a private school and doesn't Johnson Central also get good players from neighboring counties.

Independent is very close to being private so if we want to be technical i am sorry for interchanging the two words. Neighboring counties is one thing but long distance meaning other states is another. The kids we get from other counties don't seem to be always athletic oriented. We do have a great academic school as well. Especially since we are public in the true sense of the word. Compare our test scores to our neighboring counties and you will see. Why am i writing on here when Boyle is tomorrow night?
Bleed Black&Gold Wrote:Independent is very close to being private so if we want to be technical i am sorry for interchanging the two words. Neighboring counties is one thing but long distance meaning other states is another. The kids we get from other counties don't seem to be always athletic oriented. We do have a great academic school as well. Especially since we are public in the true sense of the word. Compare our test scores to our neighboring counties and you will see. Why am i writing on here when Boyle is tomorrow night?

Who has players from other states? Even if we had players from Cincinnati, you do not know the area very well,because you can be to downtown Cincinnati in 5 minutes from Ft Thomas(I do not consider that long distance). I bet 98-99% of HHS students are within 2 1/2 miles of the school. I have a feeling JC has more out of county students than HHS. You should be excited about tomorrows game! What a great game for the first of the year. Can't wait to hear the details of this game.
the only rival highlands has is trying to outdo the previous years highlands team. they lose theyre star play and still beat a nationally ranked st xavier what a program you guys deserve everything u get for all your hard work
sstack Wrote:Who has players from other states? Even if we had players from Cincinnati, you do not know the area very well,because you can be to downtown Cincinnati in 5 minutes from Ft Thomas(I do not consider that long distance). I bet 98-99% of HHS students are within 2 1/2 miles of the school. I have a feeling JC has more out of county students than HHS. You should be excited about tomorrows game! What a great game for the first of the year. Can't wait to hear the details of this game.

Just so we are clear i do know the area very well ( sounds rude but i don't mean it that way) and like i said in an early post i greatly respect your program and wish you well. You shine a little light on KY on a national stage. Hope you have a good year and i'll try to let you guys in on what happens tomorrow night.
I THINK Belfry is the only mountain team to beat highlands in the 1979 state semis. Are there any other teams who have beaten them?
belfrysteeler Wrote:I THINK Belfry is the only mountain team to beat highlands in the 1979 state semis. Are there any other teams who have beaten them?

im sure bell county or rockcastle has beaten them a few times theyve had alot of really good teams to keep coming up empty handed
former Wrote:I am sure Highlands will play next year. All your coach has to do is call. Does JC have the guts to do it.

I thought the same thing last year, but it's safe to say that both teams won't ever meet during the regular season simply b/c neither team wants to show their "cards" per se for a potential playoff meeting.
whackem'n'stackem Wrote:Mueller seems to think we have the beginnings of one. After last years heated exchanges between JC fans and Bluebirds, I think he's on to something. Is this worthy of a rivalry? There were some questionable plays in last years' game that were addressed and both teams must agree that the past couple years outcomes were too close for comfort. What is the predominant attitude of JC fans toward the Birds? Is it one of respect, disdain, or a combination of both? How do the Birds view JC?

2009 42-21 Highlands
2008 35-21 Highlands

How are these scores that close for comfort? I'm like other posters on this thread, when they've met more than twice and the games have actually been on the line late, then maybe a rivalry can be born. :Thumbs:
belfrysteeler Wrote:I THINK Belfry is the only mountain team to beat highlands in the 1979 state semis. Are there any other teams who have beaten them?

Rockcastle County plucked the birds on November 29th. 2002 by a score of 45-6 in the 3A State Semi-Finals.
Hatz Wrote:2009 42-21 Highlands
2008 35-21 Highlands

How are these scores that close for comfort? I'm like other posters on this thread, when they've met more than twice and the games have actually been on the line late, then maybe a rivalry can be born. :Thumbs:

Both games were very close until the 2nd half and could have gone either way. Considering over the past 2 seasons that Highlands has absolutely punished teams by outrageous margins, 14 and 21 points are considered very close. The Bluebirds respect JC more than they may think.
whackem'n'stackem Wrote:Both games were very close until the 2nd half and could have gone either way. Considering over the past 2 seasons that Highlands has absolutely punished teams by outrageous margins, 14 and 21 points are considered very close. The Bluebirds respect JC more than they may think.

Very true:Thumbs:
They should bring in highlands for a apple classic lol. Then we could play P-Burg. all at central. Imagine the gate that would bring in lol.
whackem'n'stackem Wrote:Both games were very close until the 2nd half and could have gone either way. Considering over the past 2 seasons that Highlands has absolutely punished teams by outrageous margins, 14 and 21 points are considered very close. The Bluebirds respect JC more than they may think.

I know the scores were reachable at half time but a game is played in both halves.

Was the score last year not 42-14 very late?

I think Johnson Central is doing all the right things to be a state contender and program. But to call out Highlands as a rivalry after two games that were not contests in the 2nd half is premature imo.
Just keep in mind it was an NKY poster who asked the original question, not any of the Central fans.

Most of us would agree that we'd need to win a game, or at least go the distance, in order to call it a rivalry. We've played two pretty good halves against Highlands so far...they just weren't in the same game. Perhaps this is the year we manage to put together 48 quality minutes against the Birds. We'll know a lot more about ourselves after tonight. Hopefully the prognosis is good.
sstack Wrote:Both coaches had interviews this week, and I found it funny that HHS coach welcomes private and public schools playing together; while JC's coach whines about public schools having to play the privates. Man up and beat anybody in your path and prove your the best is the attitude that Highlands has and JC should also follow it to if the want to be the best.

This isn't the first time questions surround coach Matney. Some say this and some say that.....Is it sour grapes or is there a hint of truth in all the criticism? How do other coaches feel about his character and ethics as a head coach? I thought his interview was commendable, but I don't know the man personally.
Hatz Wrote:I know the scores were reachable at half time but a game is played in both halves.

Was the score last year not 42-14 very late?

I think Johnson Central is doing all the right things to be a state contender and program. But to call out Highlands as a rivalry after two games that were not contests in the 2nd half is premature imo.

You are correct. Highlands put in their JVs in the 4th quarter. Highlands JV O was actually moving the ball against JC's very valiant but very tired D. Highlands JV RB fumbled on about JC's 45. JC's first O then drove and scored against Highlands JV D late in the 4th quarter to make it a 21 point margin.

Many of us have commented on how JC's lack of passing game has hurt JC. I really wonder if the numerous players playing both ways for JC hurts them more. Both games close at half, with Highlands pulling away in the second half. Highlands had 1 or 2 players playing both ways in 08 and none in 09. If I recall properly, JC had 2 linemen, 2 Lbers and 2 in the secondary playing both ways last year. Huge advantage to Highlands. What do others think about my thoughts? Am I placing too much emphasis on players only playing one way against players playing both ways?