Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lexington Catholic
LexCathKnight15 Wrote:catholic doesnt recruit

How do you figure that?
LexCathKnight15 Wrote:catholic doesn't recruit
Its just coincidence that lc ends up with all the best players around lex...
That's why all the catholic schools and open enrollment schools (IE highlands) should have they re own playoffs and state champion games..imo:rockon:
How many seniors does Lex Cath have that actually played last year?
sawmill Wrote:Its just coincidence that lc ends up with all the best players around lex...
That's why all the catholic schools and open enrollment schools (IE highlands) should have they re own playoffs and state champion games..imo:rockon:

Isn't it possible that Lexington Catholic is just a school that offers an excellent education with a safe environment that just entices the parents of these so called athletes and non-athletes alike to send them there?
HestersManiacs10 Wrote:How many seniors does Lex Cath have that actually played last year?

Lex Cath only has 7 or 8 seniors on this years team period.
knighted Wrote:Isn't it possible that Lexington Catholic is just a school that offers an excellent education with a safe environment that just entices the parents of these so called athletes and non-athletes alike to send them there?

Possible but not very probable. If so why do they wait till high school to send their children to be educated in a safe and superior educational enviroment.

Also why was Reese and other players given cards at a middle school game. And told if they wanted to play for Catholic to give them a call.
French For President Wrote:Possible but not very probable. If so why do they wait till high school to send their children to be educated in a safe and superior educational enviroment.

Also why was Reese and other players given cards at a middle school game. And told if they wanted to play for Catholic to give them a call.
Because they recruit. Like all catholic schools do.
French For President Wrote:Possible but not very probable. If so why do they wait till high school to send their children to be educated in a safe and superior educational enviroment.

LOL, you are too funny. So you think that Lex Cath recruited Reese in kindergarden? I don't think so. Especially since he has been in the catholic system since the first grade. But if it makes you feel better to think such things then have a good time.:popcorn:
How many surrounding Counties does Lex Catholic send buses out to?
I understand Lexington Catholic and Highlands may be playing each other next year.
ukbballdad Wrote:How many surrounding Counties does Lex Catholic send buses out to?

Lexington Catholic doesn't bus their students. It's up to parents to provide transportation to and from school.
French For President Wrote:How do you figure that?

Because of the 9 seniors 8 came through the feeder schools and the 1 moved here in the middle of the year and its his first year playing hs football.
All of the juniors came through the feeder schools and all of the sophomores but maybe 3 of the 40 did as well. The incoming class of freshman has about 2 from public schools.:flame:
LexCathKnight15 Wrote:Because of the 9 seniors 8 came through the feeder schools and the 1 moved here in the middle of the year and its his first year playing hs football.
All of the juniors came through the feeder schools and all of the sophomores but maybe 3 of the 40 did as well. The incoming class of freshman has about 2 from public schools.:flame:

whats a feeder school
There are about a dozen Catholic elementary schools in Fayette and adjacent counties that have close ties with LexCath. I think that is what is meant by feeder schools. LexCath is the only Catholic high school in Central Kentucky.
As someone who has worked to resolve relationship issues between LexCath and the public schools at both informal and formal levels I would like to address some of the comments above very directly with facts. I will not go into specific names or situations or go into past situations. I will limit the comments to football for the past 7 years, though some of these facts apply to any sport. Only earlier this year it was announced that LC and its neighbor public schools would start playing on a regular basis. Significant effort by many people was required to re-establish an environment of communication and trust. It was not easy and there is no need for rumors and urban legends to set back that effort.

First, the urban-legends that are not true.

There are no athletic scholarships, and all financial-aid must be approved through the KHSAA clearing house. While a small, very small, number of merit-based partial scholarships are provided it is done purely on the entrance exam score. They are few and they are not much compared to the overall tuition. No one gets a free ride for playing sports at all. Especially in the current financial environment.

There are no athletic dormitories for students who live far away. This was a serious question from someone I talked to last year. To my knowledge St. X is the only school with any dormitories and they are for the brothers who are theological students. That was a long time ago and that may not even be the case now.

There are no buses that go around picking up athlete or any other students. As noted above parents have to provide all transportation.

High school coaches do not go to public middle school games and try to entice parents or players on Saturdays. I can almost directly vouch for the schedule of the head coach and know where he is on Saturdays - film in the morning and when it lets out he is overseeing flag and 8-man tackle that is run at LC on Saturdays. No one is going around scouting.

Things that you may have heard that sounds like there must be recruiting taking place:

Kids that play at LC come from different counties. This is true. A number of players do live outside Fayette county. I personally live outside Fayette. The head coach lives outside Fayette county. The fact is that if you want to live on more that 1/4 acre home lot in the Bluegrass area you have to move outside of Fayette county. Many families do and that is reflected in where a good number of families who attend LC live.

LC is the only Catholic high school from Frankfort to West Virginia or to Tennessee in on the southeast side of Kentucky. This is true. But the logistics of travel, especially for daily practices, etc. make the ability to attend LC from distances greater than 30 miles very, very difficult. I personally know people who live in Frankfort, Paris, Richmond, etc. that attend both LC and elementary Catholic schools in Fayette county. In most cases one or both parents work in Fayette County. As noted above, you have to get kids not only to school but to practices, games, etc.

There is no Lexington Catholic Middle School. True. The LC middle school football program is made up of kids from approved feeder schools - this is the Catholic elementary schools in the Lexington Diocese. The only non-Catholic school that I directly know is an approved feeder school is the Lexington School since it has no high school associated with it. The program is not an all star program, it is the ONLY program for Catholic kids in the area. Individual schools have 1 or 2 classrooms per grade so by themselves they could never field actual teams. The kids playing for LC Middle School football are ALL the kids playing in Catholic football in the Bluegrass area, not just all-stars. The coaches must make extra effort to try to get participation from all the schools. Again, based on the travel logistics and family commitments noted above this is not an easy task. Parents must provide transportation to and from practice every night. So playing in the middle school program is very much a burden to any family regardless of where they live.

I have been involved with the program at all levels for over 7 year now. As noted above the vast vast majority of kids playing at the high school level played in middle school program. Some will point out the exceptions, especially the high profile ones, and I am fully aware of those. But I know the numbers and I know the recent history. Personally, I would never 'recruit' any family or player who was not vested in the Catholic school system regardless of the rules. It takes a lot of commitment, time and financial resources to attend Catholic schools. I personally know of no one family that has made that commitment based on the words of a coach or other parents. In short, I know of no family in the program that attends because they were 'recruited' in any way.

Those are the facts. I hope this helps in understanding.
Bluegrasscard Wrote:As someone who has worked to resolve relationship issues between LexCath and the public schools at both informal and formal levels I would like to address some of the comments above very directly with facts. I will not go into specific names or situations or go into past situations. I will limit the comments to football for the past 7 years, though some of these facts apply to any sport. Only earlier this year it was announced that LC and its neighbor public schools would start playing on a regular basis. Significant effort by many people was required to re-establish an environment of communication and trust. It was not easy and there is no need for rumors and urban legends to set back that effort.

First, the urban-legends that are not true.

There are no athletic scholarships, and all financial-aid must be approved through the KHSAA clearing house. While a small, very small, number of merit-based partial scholarships are provided it is done purely on the entrance exam score. They are few and they are not much compared to the overall tuition. No one gets a free ride for playing sports at all. Especially in the current financial environment.

There are no athletic dormitories for students who live far away. This was a serious question from someone I talked to last year. To my knowledge St. X is the only school with any dormitories and they are for the brothers who are theological students. That was a long time ago and that may not even be the case now.

There are no buses that go around picking up athlete or any other students. As noted above parents have to provide all transportation.

High school coaches do not go to public middle school games and try to entice parents or players on Saturdays. I can almost directly vouch for the schedule of the head coach and know where he is on Saturdays - film in the morning and when it lets out he is overseeing flag and 8-man tackle that is run at LC on Saturdays. No one is going around scouting.

Things that you may have heard that sounds like there must be recruiting taking place:

Kids that play at LC come from different counties. This is true. A number of players do live outside Fayette county. I personally live outside Fayette. The head coach lives outside Fayette county. The fact is that if you want to live on more that 1/4 acre home lot in the Bluegrass area you have to move outside of Fayette county. Many families do and that is reflected in where a good number of families who attend LC live.

LC is the only Catholic high school from Frankfort to West Virginia or to Tennessee in on the southeast side of Kentucky. This is true. But the logistics of travel, especially for daily practices, etc. make the ability to attend LC from distances greater than 30 miles very, very difficult. I personally know people who live in Frankfort, Paris, Richmond, etc. that attend both LC and elementary Catholic schools in Fayette county. In most cases one or both parents work in Fayette County. As noted above, you have to get kids not only to school but to practices, games, etc.

There is no Lexington Catholic Middle School. True. The LC middle school football program is made up of kids from approved feeder schools - this is the Catholic elementary schools in the Lexington Diocese. The only non-Catholic school that I directly know is an approved feeder school is the Lexington School since it has no high school associated with it. The program is not an all star program, it is the ONLY program for Catholic kids in the area. Individual schools have 1 or 2 classrooms per grade so by themselves they could never field actual teams. The kids playing for LC Middle School football are ALL the kids playing in Catholic football in the Bluegrass area, not just all-stars. The coaches must make extra effort to try to get participation from all the schools. Again, based on the travel logistics and family commitments noted above this is not an easy task. Parents must provide transportation to and from practice every night. So playing in the middle school program is very much a burden to any family regardless of where they live.

I have been involved with the program at all levels for over 7 year now. As noted above the vast vast majority of kids playing at the high school level played in middle school program. Some will point out the exceptions, especially the high profile ones, and I am fully aware of those. But I know the numbers and I know the recent history. Personally, I would never 'recruit' any family or player who was not vested in the Catholic school system regardless of the rules. It takes a lot of commitment, time and financial resources to attend Catholic schools. I personally know of no one family that has made that commitment based on the words of a coach or other parents. In short, I know of no family in the program that attends because they were 'recruited' in any way.

Those are the facts. I hope this helps in understanding.

Very good and well-thought-out post :Thumbs:
Why you have opened the door to "urban legends"

How many of either parent(s) of any student athlete in the past seven years has received a job at the school once the athlete committed to go to school there?
WhoYaWith Wrote:Why you have opened the door to "urban legends"

How many of either parent(s) of any student athlete in the past seven years has received a job at the school once the athlete committed to go to school there?

Great queston,I wonder if youll get an honest answer.
knighted Wrote:LOL, you are too funny. So you think that Lex Cath recruited Reese in kindergarden? I don't think so. Especially since he has been in the catholic system since the first grade. But if it makes you feel better to think such things then have a good time.:popcorn:

Please read the post I never said a word about kindergarden. Middle school:devilflam
WhoYaWith Wrote:Why you have opened the door to "urban legends"

Jack Lambert Wrote:Great queston,I wonder if youll get an honest answer.

A number of parents are employees and teachers at LC. The implication here is obviously that of a quid pro quo where someone who has no connection to the Catholic education system is provided a material favor in return for participation. Obviously, from the comments, this potential scenario make for salacious discussion.

Enrollment at LC was down this academic year. Not at all unexpected given the economic environment. Correspondingly, staff reductions were required in various positions in the school. Needless to say the idea of token positions just to have athletic participation is somewhat ridiculous in this type of environment.
Bluegrasscard Wrote:A number of parents are employees and teachers at LC. The implication here is obviously that of a quid pro quo where someone who has no connection to the Catholic education system is provided a material favor in return for participation. Obviously, from the comments, this potential scenario make for salacious discussion.

Enrollment at LC was down this academic year. Not at all unexpected given the economic environment. Correspondingly, staff reductions were required in various positions in the school. Needless to say the idea of token positions just to have athletic participation is somewhat ridiculous in this type of environment.

Lol...keep telling yourself that and quit trying to make us believe. Just not gonna work with this one.
Sorry, I shouldn't had laughed or spoken for everyone else...... But, I've heard it. I've seen it. So, therefore, don't expect me to believe you..... There, that's better.
French For President Wrote:Please read the post I never said a word about kindergarden. Middle school:devilflam

I did read your post but I guess I need to type my reply a little slower so you will understand it correctly. You made a comment in your post that Reese was given a card at a ball game and was told for him to give them a call if he wanted to play at catholic. What I was saying was that since Reese has been enrolled in a Catholic elementary school since the 1st grade then I guess you were implying that he was recruited out of kindergarden. If this was not what you meant to say then why would any coach try to recruit a kid who was already coming to Lexington Catholic to begin with?
knighted Wrote:I did read your post but I guess I need to type my reply a little slower so you will understand it correctly. You made a comment in your post that Reese was given a card at a ball game and was told for him to give them a call if he wanted to play at catholic. What I was saying was that since Reese has been enrolled in a Catholic elementary school since the 1st grade then I guess you were implying that he was recruited out of kindergarden. If this was not what you meant to say then why would any coach try to recruit a kid who was already coming to Lexington Catholic to begin with?

I'm pretty sure he's referring to Rees MacShara.....
SportzAnimal Wrote:Sorry, I shouldn't had laughed or spoken for everyone else...... But, I've heard it. I've seen it. So, therefore, don't expect me to believe you..... There, that's better.

This one got my curiosity going. Name the players whose parents were hired at LC to induce the players to attend LC. Don't bother with the players that went through the Catholic elementary system. They were probably going to go to LC anyway. Don't bother with the ones you "heard", as an attorney I put zero faith in hearsay; just the ones you say you've seen. Thanks.

And if you can't or aren't willing to name the names, you can't expect people to believe you either.
SportzAnimal Wrote:I'm pretty sure he's referring to Rees MacShara.....

I would definitly hope so. But if so then his name is spelled Rees and not Reese. The fact is.........Frenchy and Animal or whoever can post anything they want but it does'nt make it so. I had dinner with Santa at his North Pole summer house last night.........See what I mean? It's easy to trash talk a program on an open site like this one but I can see now that no matter what Bluegrasscard says or even the Pope himself when it comes to the few fools who ( for what ever reason ) feel better about themselves when they talk bad about the Catholic program. Hey, if it makes your day seem better then have at it. Say all you want. Feel the love.:ChairHit:
charlie22 Wrote:This one got my curiosity going. Name the players whose parents were hired at LC to induce the players to attend LC. Don't bother with the players that went through the Catholic elementary system. They were probably going to go to LC anyway. Don't bother with the ones you "heard", as an attorney I put zero faith in hearsay; just the ones you say you've seen. Thanks.

And if you can't or aren't willing to name the names, you can't expect people to believe you either.

My reply was not meant for the hiring of parents for athletic purposes. It was intended for the recruitment of players.... No names. Don't care if u believe me....the feeling is mutual.
knighted Wrote:I would definitly hope so. But if so then his name is spelled Rees and not Reese. The fact is.........Frenchy and Animal or whoever can post anything they want but it does'nt make it so. I had dinner with Santa at his North Pole summer house last night.........See what I mean? It's easy to trash talk a program on an open site like this one but I can see now that no matter what Bluegrasscard says or even the Pope himself when it comes to the few fools who ( for what ever reason ) feel better about themselves when they talk bad about the Catholic program. Hey, if it makes your day seem better then have at it. Say all you want. Feel the love.:ChairHit:

Yes, it is spelled that way. That's why I was tryin to clear things up by correcting the spelling. As to me being a 'fool'....lol. I'll play nice.
Glad to see u met up with Santa. Hope he's doin good! Next time u go will u take Rudolph a carrot from me...Thanx!
All I know Rees could not have been the catholic school system since first grade. He went to Boyle Elementary and Woodlawn Middle. That being said, he may attend the Catholic Church, I don't know.

Look all catholic schools recruit. They have to attract students. It is part of their business plan. It is not illegal to recruit students to the school. It is illegal to recruit students for athletic purposes. The reason the catholic school hit middle schools hard is that you can transfer before your freshman year and be eligible to play. The bottom line is they know the rules and push it right to the edge.

However, to act like Lex Cath is a Saint in this matter is laughable, unless you forget about the financial aid sanctions not long ago.
SportzAnimal Wrote:My reply was not meant for the hiring of parents for athletic purposes. It was intended for the recruitment of players.... No names. Don't care if u believe me....the feeling is mutual.

Not sure what you mean by differentiating between the hiring of parents for athletic purposes and the hiring of parents for the recruitment of players. Aren't those one and the same?

So you make an allegation and aren't willing to back it up with specifics.

Fellow posters: I'd not believe another word this SportzAnimal says until he backs it up with names. Otherwise, it's just hot air and his allegation is without credibility and substance. That garbage is a large part of the problems between publics and privates in this state. People take what other people say as accurate and there is no substance behind it.

Are all the privates lilly white? No I don't think they are. But throwing unsubstantialted allegations around doesn't help solve the problem, as people tend to view them as "the sky is falling" claims.

As my father once told me: "back it up or shut it up".

I am not a LC fan by the way, nor did I or my children attend private high schools. Public all the way for us.