Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pike County Bowl
Salimander Wrote:why should PC even have to consider "opting" out? If the PCB was put together the way it was intended the there would be no issue. The committee knows that with money the way it is now that the schools have to play to get a cut. Regardless of what you may think, they all need the $$$

I didn't say they should... I said it was an option... With all the bickering and fussing about all the talent PC has and how they have to play other "less talent" county teams I guess I just figured that you all were looking for more talent to test your team!

As far as the money.... you got that exactly right! AND... I can tell you this.... FOR A FACT.... The game that Belfry plays (whomever they may play for that matter) brings in the most monetary gain for all schools who participate at CAM/PCB. They have the most fans attend, they sell TONS of concession, and they have the facility that is fan friendly and that can accomidate a capacity crowd. Looks to me like as long as PC is gettin a "nice chunk of change", they would be glad to particpate in the PCB. After all.... (as you said)... ALL the programs need money!

If you need assistance feel free to e-mail me at:
[email=phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com]phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com[/email]
bucslover68 Wrote:I agree with your point, although to say Belfry was "down all through the '90s" is probably a stretch. Belfry was 88-37 and had one losing season, one .500 season, and 5 seasons with 10 or more wins. Anyway, that is neither here or there. The big problem with the PCB is the fact that everyone else has a bowl game. All the big-name teams are committed to play somewhere else, and the days of Male and Danville and Lexington Catholic playing in the PCB will probably be over. Next year's teams do not get the blood flowing either. I have heard they will be Harrison Co. and Franklin Co. I do think the PCB needs to really focus on two big-time programs to come in 2014, when the 30th anniversary of the PCB will take place. I would issue Highlands and Ashland invites right now and solidify them while you can for 2015.

i was going to ask, what about the next few years and wow what a disappointment if thats the case..
phs1986 Wrote:I didn't say they should... I said it was an option... With all the bickering and fussing about all the talent PC has and how they have to play other "less talent" county teams I guess I just figured that you all were looking for more talent to test your team!

As far as the money.... you got that exactly right! AND... I can tell you this.... FOR A FACT.... The game that Belfry plays (whomever they may play for that matter) brings in the most monetary gain for all schools who participate at CAM/PCB. They have the most fans attend, they sell TONS of concession, and they have the facility that is fan friendly and that can accomidate a capacity crowd. Looks to me like as long as PC is gettin a "nice chunk of change", they would be glad to particpate in the PCB. After all.... (as you said)... ALL the programs need money!

How can you determine which school brings in the most money. Just cause your booster club brings in alot of money doesn't mean you made the most.
Real Badman Wrote:How can you determine which school brings in the most money. Just cause your booster club brings in alot of money doesn't mean you made the most.

This has NOTHING to do with the boosters club.... When you come to the PCB (if you come to Belfry) and you can't find a seat, have to park on the four lane highway in front of the school (although they have major parking areas) and the concession lines are backed up under the bleachers, you KNOW they are making money for these teams..... I spend mine, I'm sure you spend yours, and to be honest, I'm glad everyone does.... It's for the kids..... Every single cent is monitored by CTB officials and handled by them. They pick up, and assume responsibility for all monies from the gate, concession, and program sales.... The games at Belfry IS their bigger of the two nights as far as money makers..... Not to worry though.... each school gets their cut... it is divided between them equally.... one does NOT get more than the other!

If you need assistance feel free to e-mail me at:
[email=phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com]phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com[/email]
phs1986 Wrote:This has NOTHING to do with the boosters club.... When you come to the PCB (if you come to Belfry) and you can't find a seat, have to park on the four lane highway in front of the school (although they have major parking areas) and the concession lines are backed up under the bleachers, you KNOW they are making money for these teams..... I spend mine, I'm sure you spend yours, and to be honest, I'm glad everyone does.... It's for the kids..... Every single cent is monitored by CTB officials and handled by them. They pick up, and assume responsibility for all monies from the gate, concession, and program sales.... The games at Belfry IS their bigger of the two nights as far as money makers..... Not to worry though.... each school gets their cut... it is divided between them equally.... one does NOT get more than the other!

that is true when i lived there i had my accounts and stuff with ctb and they told me all about they even have people work the gates at the games..
Salimander Wrote:Pikeville's last championship was in 1990. No championships since then . Was Hillards program"built to last?"

Pike Central knows they have improved their program and what's happening at PC is more than just John Chapman. The middle school program is coming along just fine. (I believe PC has won 3 of the last 4 against Pikeville). Everything will be just fine for the Hawks in football. Pikeville needs to put the hawks on their schedule and try to shut them up on the field. They won't play, they can't beat them and they know all this. We're done here!
Well lets see. Won 7 out of 10 region titles in the '90s. Won District 8 out of 10 years and Bill Allara took a team to the State Finals in '91 post Hillard. Has Central done any of that? If you combine ALL the sports at Central (For arguments sake Ill even let you throw Johns Creek and Mullins in there as well) they wouldnt come close. Like I said before you guys are building your castle on the sand up there. The only thing we will hear and see up on buckleys creek is the loud crashing noise when Chapman heads back to Breathitt and it all starts tumbling down.
bucslover68 Wrote:I agree with your point, although to say Belfry was "down all through the '90s" is probably a stretch. Belfry was 88-37 and had one losing season, one .500 season, and 5 seasons with 10 or more wins. Anyway, that is neither here or there. The big problem with the PCB is the fact that everyone else has a bowl game. All the big-name teams are committed to play somewhere else, and the days of Male and Danville and Lexington Catholic playing in the PCB will probably be over. Next year's teams do not get the blood flowing either. I have heard they will be Harrison Co. and Franklin Co. I do think the PCB needs to really focus on two big-time programs to come in 2014, when the 30th anniversary of the PCB will take place. I would issue Highlands and Ashland invites right now and solidify them while you can for 2015.
Belfry didnt win a region title or make a state title appearance
in '90s. By Belfrys standards those were down years. Not trying to pick a fight just saying Belfry has a high standard. Besides WYMT sticking their nose in the PCB and we got this "Everyone gets to play" mentality the other factor that has hurt the PCB is the 2 year contract. Teams wont sign one year contracts to play anymore.
Agree. That "everyone gets to play " has taken its toll since its inception.
I think this thread was started by East Ridge.....why is it that PCC is being bashed? Comments being made about them dropping out of the bowl and having a mediocre season.....what's the deal with this? I don't believe that PCC cares whether they play in the prime-time spot or not. I believe it is Phelps that is complaining about playing PCC....somebody else is complaining about where the games are played, not PCC.....as there is actually no benefit of hosting the games.....the only noise coming from the Hawks is some pre-season excitement.....
clueless Wrote:I think this thread was started by East Ridge.....why is it that PCC is being bashed? Comments being made about them dropping out of the bowl and having a mediocre season.....what's the deal with this? I don't believe that PCC cares whether they play in the prime-time spot or not. I believe it is Phelps that is complaining about playing PCC....somebody else is complaining about where the games are played, not PCC.....as there is actually no benefit of hosting the games.....the only noise coming from the Hawks is some pre-season excitement.....

Salimander Wrote:The Pike County Bowl is becoming a joke. Its initial design was for the best two teams in Pike County to play "outside quality competition. A few years ago it was expanded to allow ALL Pike county teams to play in the bowl. The premise of the best two teams playing the " Prime time" games is still there but is not honored. Clearly Pike Central deserves a primetime spot this year but will play Phelps. And from what we hear will play Phelps for the next three years. There are too many old Pikeville supporters on the PCB committee and they will not honor the fact that Pike Central should be slid in to replace Pikeville. They were better than Pikeville last year, will be better than Pikeville this year, and will be better than Pikeville in years to come. The committee either needs to be dissolved or some people need to start hard lining the committee. the bowl has gotten weaker over the years and looks like the same will continue.
The committe won't even hear suggestions of allowing Pikeville play a Pike Central or Shelby Valley. It may be one of the longest standing bowls in KY but right now its standing on one leg and getting ready to fall over!

Wrong again my friend. Pike Central started bashing Pikeville for no reason other than Pike Central was regional runner-up last year. Let me remind you that Pikeville has I'd venture to guess at least 20 of those types of trophies, but since Pike Central has 1 now I guess all of Pike County and Eastern Kentucky should do everything Pike Central wants, just like the Pike Co. Superintendant.
What has the super give to Pike Central? Just maybe they are getting somethings that the other schools already have. You know they did have the best scores in pike co schools. Just maybe they are saying good job.
You can't base Pike Central on one person's response to a statement in a gossip column. Personally, I don't think that there are many people at Pike Central that care one way or another about Pikeville.....and if you can't handle the fact that Pike Central's football program has improved and that their fans are excited about it.....well, sounds like a personal problem. And, by the way, Pike Central is a fairly new school. How many years does it usually take to build an actual program with a tradition? Pikeville keeps talking about the past when the Hawks are talking about and excited about the future...... When Pike Central, Shelby Valley, East Ridge and all the other new programs have been around as long as Pikeville, Belfry, etc.....we will more than likely collect a few trophies of our own.:rockon:
CLUElESS i agree 100%
Super Card said it right.
d

Super Card said it right. Pikeville got bashed for no apparent reason. Yeah clueless, we talk about the past because we honor it. Try to tell me any football program in this state don't talk about their State Championships: thats something to be proud of. We honor the past, but are excited about the future as well.I do know when Coach Chapman was hired at Central, many Pikeville fans gave our congrats, on the other hand, there was a lot of negative remarks made by some Central fans when Coach Mac was hired at P.H.S.. Personally i've got nothing against Central. In fact i wish you good luck all season long. Your a mountain team & we should support each other. Just don't bash Pikeville without reason

p
Salimander Wrote:So championships 23 years ago when none of the current players were even born entitles Pikeville to ALWAYS be in the Pike County Bowl.Entitlement must be how those old panthers on the committe justify still being primetime. Also,if you would read at all you would see that I stated the Bowl is set up to have the best two teams EACH YEAR in the prime spot.It is not designed for the two teams who won state titles in such and such years ago. Especially 23 years ago. Oh well, play your primetime game...get waxed as has become normal..limp through your non district schedule with no wins..win all your weak,weak, weak, district games and bow out in round 2 of the playoffs as usuall lately in front of 43 spectators..then get on here and whine about Pike Central haviing no tradition and so on as you shade your eyes from the lights shining off Buckleys Creek during Friday night home playoff games..then argue in the offseason that the 6-5 record of yours and the 24 year old state titles ENTITLES you to the 2011 primetime game in the Pike County Bowl.:Thumbs:

I agree, I am tired of the Al Bundy years.:rockon:
I heard a rumor today that Boyd Co. is backing out of their game with Pikeville. Anyone else heard this?
oldtimer3 Wrote:I agree, I am tired of the Al Bundy years.:rockon:
Central fans dont want to talk about the past for the same reason Mark Mcgwire didnt want to talk about the past.....:flame:
clueless Wrote:You can't base Pike Central on one person's response to a statement in a gossip column. Personally, I don't think that there are many people at Pike Central that care one way or another about Pikeville.....and if you can't handle the fact that Pike Central's football program has improved and that their fans are excited about it.....well, sounds like a personal problem. And, by the way, Pike Central is a fairly new school. How many years does it usually take to build an actual program with a tradition? Pikeville keeps talking about the past when the Hawks are talking about and excited about the future...... When Pike Central, Shelby Valley, East Ridge and all the other new programs have been around as long as Pikeville, Belfry, etc.....we will more than likely collect a few trophies of our own.:rockon:
Holler back at me when you do. Until then its just empty talk.
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:I heard a rumor today that Boyd Co. is backing out of their game with Pikeville. Anyone else heard this?

Heard the same romor, but no reason was given.
Maybe it will not last, but Pikeville's hasn't last either has it. Just believe the hype and as far as sliced bread yes, it's better than a cold biscuit. Central's time is now, your days are gone.
oldtimer3 Wrote:Maybe it will not last, but Pikeville's hasn't last either has it. Just believe the hype and as far as sliced bread yes, it's better than a cold biscuit. Central's time is now, your days are gone.

As much as I eschew your last sentence, Why do you think its Central's time rather then Valleys?
Real Badman Wrote:
As much as I eschew your last sentence, Why do you think its Central's time rather then Valleys?

Because I think it is, and I don't think there was any reference made to Valley? To each his own. Sorry that you were eschewed by the statement....LOL
I believe that place is built on a mountain isn't it? And Pikeville on the banks of the Big Sandy, quick sand? And when Chapman does leave the noise won't be any louder than when Howard left. People heard that rumble all the way over in Mingo County, we though it was a quake.
Do they have to pay a fine for backing out?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]