•  Previous
  • 9(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Powell County Pirates 2008
F.N.L. Wrote:Thank you for seeing this. They had a much more respectable team, even though they didn't win them all at 3-7, they were in every game except a couple and played quality opponents, that is what makes you better IMO. Why did they drop the quality teams?? I think you know the answer. If the schedule is the same next year, they should be 9-1, but history has shown, when they have a big win season, the next year is not so good. As for Powell, who knows. As one person mentioned, that is why there is always 8 pages of comments.

The reason for the schedule being weaker for the most part is the district. But I would look for a good season from Estill next year, the situation is different then it was in '03 when Estill went 8-3, as previously stated Estill lost a lot of players and it showed the following season.
MR.PERFECT Wrote:Uptight with Estill and Powell. :mad: ok:dontthink
Estill went from 0-10 to 9-3 in 4 years. Powell can do the same with the young talent they have coming up. Estill was young when they went 0-10. Every year they got better. Powell only had 6 seniors and started 7 or 8 sophmores and a couple of freshman. Powell's time is coming. A couple more years under coach Whitaker Powell can be having 9-3 seasons. Now why would you be uptight with Powell and Estill?:dontthink

They also went from 8-3 with a team loaded with talent to 0-10 in two years. They lost 5 players from an 8-3 team and were 3-7, 0-10, the following two years. The team that was 8-3 should have been playing deep in the playoffs. They beat Russell, let me restate that, they dominated Russell, I think the score was 30-14. That was the only game they played defense. Most of their games that year were high scoring close games. But they don't play that tough of a schedule anymore. I will say this Estill will be as strong and fast as anyone they play this year, anyone, lets see what happens. And the same goes for Powell, you say they are going to be a lot better, I hope so, let's see what happens. Sorry bluegrassballa, I told you I wouldn't get back on hear, I made a mistake.
Lucky13 Wrote:The reason for the schedule being weaker for the most part is the district. But I would look for a good season from Estill next year, the situation is different then it was in '03 when Estill went 8-3, as previously stated Estill lost a lot of players and it showed the following season.

They better be good, they got everybody back. They all have been starting since they were sophomores!
Journeyman Wrote:They also went from 8-3 with a team loaded with talent to 0-10 in two years. They lost 5 players from an 8-3 team and were 3-7, 0-10, the following two years. The team that was 8-3 should have been playing deep in the playoffs. They beat Russell, let me restate that, they dominated Russell, I think the score was 30-14. That was the only game they played defense. Most of their games that year were high scoring close games. But they don't play that tough of a schedule anymore. I will say this Estill will be as strong and fast as anyone they play this year, anyone, lets see what happens. And the same goes for Powell, you say they are going to be a lot better, I hope so, let's see what happens. Sorry bluegrassballa, I told you I wouldn't get back on hear, I made a mistake.

The Russell game was 35-14 with the the second Russell TD coming in the last 20 seconds on a KR. And about Estill's upcoming seniors, they've actually been starting since they were freshman.
Lucky13 Wrote:The Russell game was 35-14 with the the second Russell TD coming in the last 20 seconds on a KR. And about Estill's upcoming seniors, they've actually been starting since they were freshman.

How many SRs will they have out this coming year? How many of them have started since they were freshmen? They have to be pretty good to start as freshmen.
blitz43 Wrote:How many SRs will they have out this coming year? How many of them have started since they were freshmen? They have to be pretty good to start as freshmen.

10 or so sr's, 3 to 4 saw significant action as fresh., these guys are pretty good players, but during that time frame the upper classmen cupboard was kind of bare and they were all that they had so they got thrown into the fire a little early. But have gained valuable experience.
VLW53 Wrote:No he is not (from ESTILL. )He was just the coach (at POWELL )before and is a little uptight with both. LOL!
Powell should look at Estill and what they were and with hard work to what they have improved too now. It takes hard work and dedication. Powell's talent is young and their best players will be sophmores.
Give coach Whitaker some time and with the support he is getting from the admin. Powell will very soon have a winner in football.
MR.PERFECT Wrote:6A Harlan central with Larkey as their coach will give Breathitt all they want and then some. Powell has got to stop other teams from running down their throat. Teams that hurt Powell ran the ball all over them. Powell stops the run they can win a couple more games this year. Jesse Rose was one of the state's leaders in tackles and if Powell gets better on defense a 6 win season is very possible.

Here we go with your "boy" again. Good grief!
Journeyman Wrote:They also went from 8-3 with a team loaded with talent to 0-10 in two years. They lost 5 players from an 8-3 team and were 3-7, 0-10, the following two years. The team that was 8-3 should have been playing deep in the playoffs. They beat Russell, let me restate that, they dominated Russell, I think the score was 30-14. That was the only game they played defense. Most of their games that year were high scoring close games. But they don't play that tough of a schedule anymore. I will say this Estill will be as strong and fast as anyone they play this year, anyone, lets see what happens. And the same goes for Powell, you say they are going to be a lot better, I hope so, let's see what happens. Sorry bluegrassballa, I told you I wouldn't get back on hear, I made a mistake.

Lol...its ok I guess.
MR.PERFECT Wrote:Powell should look at Estill and what they were and with hard work to what they have improved too now. It takes hard work and dedication. Powell's talent is young and their best players will be sophmores.

I agree with you about it takes hard work and dedication. But the talent will not be sophmores. It will come from the seniors this year. Powell will have a lot of senior talent and will have a lot of senior dedication.
MR.PERFECT Wrote:Powell should look at Estill and what they were and with hard work to what they have improved too now. It takes hard work and dedication. Powell's talent is young and their best players will be sophmores.

Pretty easy to see what Estill did. Dropped teams who could play and picked up 6 teams that won a total of 8 or 9 games combined depending if you count the forfeits. You should look beyond the numbers. Powell actually played a team outside the district with a winning record, Bath Co. Estill did not, you are not seeing the big picture.
TeamMom Wrote:Here we go with your "boy" again. Good grief!

Yep, that and bashing the defense that stayed on the field because the offense could not move the ball. Powell's offense gave up as many points as their defense. They were 3 and out 95% of the time and loved to turn the ball over. The only way the defense will get better is keeping the offense on the field. Go to Max Preps. Powell had 30+ takeaways. 21 interceptions and 10 fumble recoveries, one problem they also had 30 turnovers. Mr. Perfect will get to bash someone else next year calling the defense, evedentally he does not know that the Head Coach makes the final call. Next year won't be so easy for his "boy", people will know what to expect. Don't look for big improvements in the defense either, unless of course Mr. Perfect is running the show.
IMO, Powell will have a good team next year. They will have a decent line and with John Fugate working with them, they will be as good as ever. We have the recievers to be good, we have a couple good qbs, some good running backs. We will have a good defense also. And as for Mr. Perfect running the show, I think I might know who it is. And he aint running the show. Best of lucj to the Pirates!!!
bluegrassballa Wrote:IMO, Powell will have a good team next year. They will have a decent line and with John Fugate working with them, they will be as good as ever. We have the recievers to be good, we have a couple good qbs, some good running backs. We will have a good defense also. And as for Mr. Perfect running the show, I think I might know who it is. And he aint running the show. Best of lucj to the Pirates!!!

Word is John Fugate will be doing the defense and the line.
Journeyman Wrote:Word is John Fugate will be doing the defense and the line.

Yes, Big John will be D Coord. I am very excited for him. He brings a lot of excitment to the position. He is really pumped up about the opportunity. I think he has a good scheme for us. I think he will have the O line also. R Skeens will have TE and D line. T Puckett will have WR and coach JV. L Tiller will have DB, RB, and OLB. Coach Dubya has QBs and of course, is over all pos.
i see powell having a pretty good season
bobcatfan22 Wrote:i see powell having a pretty good season

Ya think? lol
bobcatfan22 Wrote:i see powell having a pretty good season

They will be 3-7 or 4-6 at best unless the schedule has changed. It does not matter what changes have been made.
We should be much improved. No prediction on our record.
F.N.L. Wrote:They will be 3-7 or 4-6 at best unless the schedule has changed. It does not matter what changes have been made.

And how do you expect Powell to have that record with changes made? We are a different team than past. Powell has been in the weightroom lifting and has improved their strength. Powell will do good nest year, and they will have a winning record. Powell is gonna turn some heads next season. Just watch and see!
bluegrassballa Wrote:And how do you expect Powell to have that record with changes made? We are a different team than past. Powell has been in the weightroom lifting and has improved their strength. Powell will do good nest year, and they will have a winning record. Powell is gonna turn some heads next season. Just watch and see!

Easy there Bluegrassballa.....Let's do our serious talkin on the field! Remember what I said in an earlier post. We ain't got nothing to prove to anyone but ourselves.:Thumbs:
blitz43 Wrote:Easy there Bluegrassballa.....Let's do our serious talkin on the field! Remember what I said in an earlier post. We ain't got nothing to prove to anyone but ourselves.:Thumbs:

Oh yeah most definitely, I know that we have to prove it on the field. And we will.
bluegrassballa Wrote:And how do you expect Powell to have that record with changes made? We are a different team than past. Powell has been in the weightroom lifting and has improved their strength. Powell will do good nest year, and they will have a winning record. Powell is gonna turn some heads next season. Just watch and see!

The most Powell has ever won is 5. So for next year four District games = 4 losses. Unless there are 6 other teams than last years schedule, I look for the same. Should beat the same 3 and could possible beat 1 or 2 of the others. Lift all the weights you want, that is 10% of the game.
F.N.L. Wrote:The most Powell has ever won is 5. So for next year four District games = 4 losses. Unless there are 6 other teams than last years schedule, I look for the same. Should beat the same 3 and could possible beat 1 or 2 of the others. Lift all the weights you want, that is 10% of the game.

You are wrong fnl. With rose returning we should at least win 7 games. We have a solid coaching staff and weights do matter.
MR.PERFECT Wrote:Give coach Whitaker some time and with the support he is getting from the admin. Powell will very soon have a winner in football.

that is right. he has a good staff.
Just because Fugate is from Breathitt county don't make him a good coach. The best offensive line coach and defensive cordinator lives right here in Powell county.
He hasn't been asked yet up to this point to coach at Powell this season. He knows the kids and what they can do. Work hard pirates!! What you do right now will make the difference.
MR.PERFECT Wrote:Just because Fugate is from Breathitt county don't make him a good coach. The best offensive line coach and defensive cordinator lives right here in Powell county.
He hasn't been asked yet up to this point to coach at Powell this season. He knows the kids and what they can do. Work hard pirates!! What you do right now will make the difference.

Evidentally he is not the best or he would have been the first one asked. He is begging for coaches who can coach, so why hasn't he asked this guy?
MR.PERFECT Wrote:Just because Fugate is from Breathitt county don't make him a good coach. The best offensive line coach and defensive cordinator lives right here in Powell county.

we needed this guy since the beginning of the program to help these kids since he is so good. tell coach whitaker who he is and hopefully he will hire him.

John Fugate is head over heals better than any coach that coach Whitaker has. Sounds like you got a problem with him. Don't look for him to stay over there anyway, too much crap that goes on, that is why the program will continue to stalemate.
  •  Previous
  • 9(current)
  • Next