•  Previous
  • 9(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belfry 2015
Any team that makes it to Bowling Green hasn't gotten there by a cake walk.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Cmon really? You think Belfry would just steam roll both Corbin and Bell from now until the end of time? Every program falls back at some point, and Belfry is due. They will get back to 5-5 seasons and have to rebuild again someday.
Corbin and Bell both are capable of beating Belfry this year. Im not saying it will happen, but its not impossible and both of those programs are a hell of a lot better than anybody Belfry has seen in the east in almost a decade.
I never said they would steamroll them but there hasn't been a Bell or Corbin team the past four years who would have beat them and in some years it would have been pretty lopsided.

Every team comes back to reality and the success belfry has had te past decade has been unprecedented... But with that said Belfry's run is will far from over with the Junior class they will have next year.

Also Yoy are incorrect that Bell and Corbin are Better than any team they have seen out of the East. The two Bourbon teams alone take that distinction.

Now if this was a Dudley Hilton led Bell team the past five years it may be a different story... But the Bobcat and Redhound teams that have taken the field have been way too flawed to beat Belfry.

Once again though... Corbin has a very bright future with Haddix and the talent coming up.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:I never said they would steamroll them but there hasn't been a Bell or Corbin team the past four years who would have beat them and in some years it would have been pretty lopsided.

Every team comes back to reality and the success belfry has had te past decade has been unprecedented... But with that said Belfry's run is will far from over with the Junior class they will have next year.

Also Yoy are incorrect that Bell and Corbin are Better than any team they have seen out of the East. The two Bourbon teams alone take that distinction.

Now if this was a Dudley Hilton led Bell team the past five years it may be a different story... But the Bobcat and Redhound teams that have taken the field have been way too flawed to beat Belfry.

Once again though... Corbin has a very bright future with Haddix and the talent coming up.
Corbin was better than the 1A Pikeville team that steamrolled Belfry this past season. Bourbon County was no powerhouse either.
:biglmao:
pjdoug Wrote:Corbin was better than the 1A Pikeville team that steamrolled Belfry this past season. Bourbon County was no powerhouse either.
pjdoug Wrote:Corbin was better than the 1A Pikeville team that steamrolled Belfry this past season. Bourbon County was no powerhouse either.

Corbin wasn't better than Central on their homefield.

When was the last time a team from Southern Kentucky even beat Belfry? Probably been over a decade at least.. Maybe even 15 years
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Corbin wasn't better than Central on their homefield.

When was the last time a team from Southern Kentucky even beat Belfry? Probably been over a decade at least.. Maybe even 15 years

Good point, what do you have to say about that pbj boy.
Just looked at the KHSAA scoreboard only goes back to 1998.

Belfry is 20-0 against true Southern Kentucky teams in that time. If you include Letcher, Leslie,and Madison Southern it is over 30-0.

In that time they have dominated A Corbin team who reached the Semis, dominated the best Middlesboro team of the past 15 years, dominated the best Southwestern team of all time , beat the best Wayne County team in school history, beat an undefeated and #1 ranked Somerset team in the Semis, dominated a Somerset team that reached the Semis and beat Bell County.

Suffice to say I wouldn't hold my breathe that suddenly history will change after 17 years of Belfry domination over teams from the South.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Just looked at the KHSAA scoreboard only goes back to 1998.

Belfry is 20-0 against true Southern Kentucky teams in that time. If you include Letcher, Leslie,and Madison Southern it is over 30-0.

In that time they have dominated A Corbin team who reached the Semis, dominated the best Middlesboro team of the past 15 years, dominated the best Southwestern team of all time , beat the best Wayne County team in school history, beat an undefeated and #1 ranked Somerset team in the Semis, dominated a Somerset team that reached the Semis and beat Bell County.

Suffice to say I wouldn't hold my breathe that suddenly history will change after 17 years of Belfry domination over teams from the South.

I Agree with EKUALum05 the past 20yrs Belfry has rule the eastern part of the state. I have been a Belfry fan from my Leslie County days and will remain a belfry fan untill they play Corbin. Corbin football is on the rise I look forward to a great rivalry. GO hounds, unbelievable I agree with EKUALum05 Confusederiously:

Belfry may pull out the win versus pikeville this year.
Granny Bear Wrote:Any team that makes it to Bowling Green hasn't gotten there by a cake walk.

they played a bunch of cupcakes.they played one of the worst teams in the state in the first round and it didnt get much better after.Confusednicker:
pjdoug Wrote:they played a bunch of cupcakes.they played one of the worst teams in the state in the first round and it didnt get much better after.Confusednicker:

Central was pretty good though.
killbilly usmc Wrote:Central was pretty good though.

they were decent but it was a cake walk to meet Central.3A will be improved this year.
pjdoug Wrote:they were decent but it was a cake walk to meet Central.3A will be improved this year.

Its about time it improves, its been awful.
killbilly usmc Wrote:Its about time it improves, its been awful.

weak for sure.Boyle County and Lexington Catholic should improve it.
I think a loss to Bell County in the 1997 playoffs would be the answer here, EKUAlum05. We beat Pulaski County and Southwestern in the two previous rounds that season.
Belfry0304 Wrote:I think a loss to Bell County in the 1997 playoffs would be the answer here, EKUAlum05. We beat Pulaski County and Southwestern in the two previous rounds that season.

That's a whole lot of winning.

Since 1995...

vs. Middlesboro 4-0
vs. Somerset 3-0
vs. Cawood 3-0
vs. Pulaski County 3-0
vs. Southwestern 3-0
vs. Whitley Co 3-0
vs. Harlan Co 2-0
vs. Corbin 1-0
vs. Wayne Co 1-0
vs. South Laurel 1-0

vs. Bell Co 2-2

In the Past 20 Years Belfry is 26-2 against teams from Southern Kentucky.

I mis-spoke about Corbin, they reached the Regional Finals in 07.. not the Semi's
if you add Johnson Central, Pikeville, Prestonsburg, and Breathitt (Mountain teams but not true southern teams ) that record goes to 23-17. Still an impressive 20 years by Belfry.
^^^^ that number should be 26-19 adding in Bell
Objective Wrote:^^^^ that number should be 26-19 adding in Bell

If I am not mistaken the only teams who have a winning record against Belfry in the past 20 years (playing more than once) are:

Lou. Central- Obvious

Ironton, OH- Obvious

Ashland- Obvious

Breathitt County- Surprising.... Belfry and Breathitt are Tied at 4-4 going back to 1998 and I know that Breathitt beat Belfry in the Honey Bowl in I believe 1996 or 1997

**Some Teams that beat Belfry their only meeting in that span:
Campbell County
Ryle

**The only teams to the best of my knowledge that has split with Belfry over the past 20 years:

Henry Clay 2-2
Bell County 2-2

*Though Johnson Central has had Belfry's number under Matney going 5-3 against the Pirates since the hire... they used to be in Belfry's district and Belfry actually leads the series 6-5 over the past 20 years.

** Leslie County is a wild card I cannot rightfully account for.
I know Belfry went 0-2 against Couch in 95... I cannot recall if Leslie was in Belfry's district in 1996 or 1997 since they did not reach the playoffs. I can attest Leslie did not defeat Belfry either year. Belfry won against the Eagles in 2000 & 2002. Best case scenario Leslie is 2-2 and one of those few .500 teams... had they played in the regular season in 96 or 97 though Belfry will have a winning record.
Objective Wrote:if you add Johnson Central, Pikeville, Prestonsburg, and Breathitt (Mountain teams but not true southern teams ) that record goes to 23-17. Still an impressive 20 years by Belfry.

Looks like some have methodically selected which teams to use as a comparison to inflate numbers, just like the schedule they play. Not near as impressive when you throw in the teams you listed. I was thinking they where unbeatable the last 20 years till you added those teams. Now they are slightly over .500.:biglmao:
What does the numbers look like including all mountain teams if you go by last 5 years, I bet it will show belfry has been real dominant in those 5 years. I don't remember anyone beating them over there in that span in 5 years except Johnson central doing it the last 2 years. What about 10 years also.
killbilly usmc Wrote:Looks like some have methodically selected which teams to use as a comparison to inflate numbers, just like the schedule they play. Not near as impressive when you throw in the teams you listed. I was thinking they where unbeatable the last 20 years till you added those teams. Now they are slightly over .500.:biglmao:

I specifically was comparing Belfry to Southern KY teams for pjdoug since he thinks the addition of Bell and Corbin will suddenly change Belfry's fortunes.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:I specifically was comparing Belfry to Southern KY teams for pjdoug since he thinks the addition of Bell and Corbin will suddenly change Belfry's fortunes.

I knew you where just poking alittle bit. Id like to see there numbers still in the last 5, and 10 years agauinst southern Kentucky, and mountain teams combined. I bet there wouldn't be many losses in the last 5 years.
I will take great pleasure in watching teams like Boyle County hammer Belfry.your ship is sinkingSmile
pjdoug Wrote:I will take great pleasure in watching teams like Boyle County hammer Belfry.your ship is sinkingSmile

Id just like to see Your 5a school play the 3a team. Id take the little school. Your colonels would fall overboard.
pjdoug Wrote:I will take great pleasure in watching teams like Boyle County hammer Belfry.your ship is sinkingSmile

Boyle, and lex cath are great additions, but lets not forget Boyle hasn't been the same lately as they was when they run off 5 straight titles, plus belfry is loaded for the next few years I hear.
killbilly usmc Wrote:Id just like to see Your 5a school play the 3a team. Id take the little school. Your colonels would fall overboard.
Didn't you see where he said my team is 0-3 against Belfry since 1995? Whitley County played Belfry when they were 3A
killbilly usmc Wrote:Boyle, and lex cath are great additions, but lets not forget Boyle hasn't been the same lately as they was when they run off 5 straight titles, plus belfry is loaded for the next few years I hear.

Did you forget Chuck Smith left Boyle and came back last year?
pjdoug Wrote:Didn't you see where he said my team is 0-3 against Belfry since 1995? Whitley County played Belfry when they were 3A

I was talking about playing them in the next few years. So you are saying your 5a team is 0-3 against them. That's bad pj especially since belfry is better theses days than they where then, and of course your team was 3a then in a 4 class system, heck bowling green was 3a at that time still a lot bigger school than belfry.
pjdoug Wrote:Did you forget Chuck Smith left Boyle and came back last year?

That's it chuck is back Belfry fans. Go ahead, and tell the khsaa to ship the next 4 trophies to Boyle.:igiveup:
  •  Previous
  • 9(current)
  • Next