Poll: Who wins this battle?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Belfry
79.33%
Breathitt
20.67%
* You voted for this item.

•  Previous
  • 8(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Breathitt County @ Belfry (3A Semi-Finals)
Breathitt will go down. The Pirate Ship will sail right on to Pappa John Stadium.
Belfry wins this one rather easily. Belfry is to good up front for Breathitt.
TheBrahmaBull Wrote:Breathitt's uniforms just seemed different to me from the last few years. I do think that a uniform does have a psychological affect on a team....... When dealing with teenagers half the job is psychology in my opinion....

They have been the same for years and years. Channing has on a practice uniform because his normal one is to tight and wont fit over his shouder padss. He tried to wear a normal one the fitst game but it wouldnt get half way over his pads. I wish we would updaye them though.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:I actually agree somewhat with you. Belfry's biggest QUESTION MARK is thier pass defense, I don't think anyone will deny it. With that being said, the only reason Belfry's pass defense is questionable is because you have to compare it to Belfry's run defense which will be unlike anything Breathitt has seen. Belfry in all honesty has a better pass defense than nearly any team in the mountains, Breathitt included, but Breathitt also has an above average passing team and even the best mountain pass defenses traditionally are still not very good.

I'm just curious of why you always state that Belfry's pass defense is not capable of defending passing teams. The Pirate Passing Defense has intercepted the ball 11 times this season. I personally believe those are pretty good numbers considering the fact they do not play a lot of passing teams.
footballcrazy08 Wrote:I'm just curious of why you always state that Belfry's pass defense is not capable of defending passing teams. The Pirate Passing Defense has intercepted the ball 11 times this season. I personally believe those are pretty good numbers considering the fact they do not play a lot of passing teams.

I have never said that.... I have said it is their biggets question mark and that they need to improve by Friday, but I have never once said "they can't defend passing teams".

Just being honest and realistic.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:I have never said that....

Okay I apologize. It seems your post imply that the Pirate Passing Defense is not up-to-date with it's caliber. Just wondering, not trying to start a feud with a fellow Pirate Faithful.TongueirateSku
P.C.Defense Wrote:Beating Johnson Central was the exclamation game for Belfry. Big time win to establish Belfry as top dog in 3A with that win. Breathitt beat Estill twice who was rated in the top 10 in 3A. Breathitt beat Harlan Central twice who was rated in the top 10 in 3A. Breathitt beat L.C.A. who is rated in the top 2 in 1A.
Breathitt lost to Johnson Central first game of the year 26-14 and Prestonsburg 28-21 and both of these teams made it to the third round of the playoffs. Breathitt by far has played alot all around tougher schedule.

I certainly wouldn't hang my hat on those victories over Harlan and Estill Co. Let's just face it....3A football gets hardly no respect state-wide. If you look at Cantrall's ratings in the LHL....Central only rates as the 11th best team left and Belfry is the 13th best team. Neither Estill nor Harlan got any respect from any media sources state wide. .....despite being ranked in the "top 10"........I guess somebody has to be.

I certainly believe Breathitt is better at this stage of the season...but the loss to P-burg was a little shocking.

Actually, when you compare playoff victories....I'd say Belfry's had the tougher path to this point...having played Sheldon Clark and Russell.
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:I certainly wouldn't hang my hat on those victories over Harlan and Estill Co. Let's just face it....3A football gets hardly no respect state-wide. If you look at Cantrall's ratings in the LHL....Central only rates as the 11th best team left and Belfry is the 13th best team. Neither Estill nor Harlan got any respect from any media sources state wide. .....despite being ranked in the "top 10"........I guess somebody has to be.

I certainly believe Breathitt is better at this stage of the season...but the loss to P-burg was a little shocking.

Actually, when you compare playoff victories....I'd say Belfry's had the tougher path to this point...having played Sheldon Clark and Russell.

I think Pburg, Estill, L.C.A. or Harlan Central would have beaten Russell this year. That is for this year only. Estill, Harlan Central, Sheldon Clark were all on the same lavel but I think Estill is the better of the 3. Not taking anything away from any of these teams they all had good seasons.
P.C.Defense Wrote:I think Pburg, Estill, L.C.A. or Harlan Central would have beaten Russell this year. That is for this year only. Estill, Harlan Central, Sheldon Clark were all on the same lavel but I think Estill is the better of the 3. Not taking anything away from any of these teams they all had good seasons.

I really think you're giving Estill way too much credit. They played you close early in the year....but, Breathitt didn't have the kinks worked out. I'm quite certain Estill could not have beaten Mason Co.....and SC beat them on their home turf.

Other than Breathitt.....there hasn't been a quality team from those districts in some time. Before the redistricting...Middlesboro was the only other team who consistently played at a high level.

In time...Harlan will develop into a nice program...but not in 3A.......

IMO...Estill would have lost to Sheldon, Russell and Mason. Estill had some nice kids...but they were not fundamentally sound.....
Alright here goes my 1st post,

My prediction is close in the 1st few minuets, but I just don't see Breathitt having the horses to last.

Belfry by 3 Tds

This I can say from close personal observation because I have a kid on the Belfry team. These kids have no respect for there bodies, they play HARD every down, they play just as hard hurt, if not a little harder.

Bottom line if Breathitt isn't prepared to play 48 minuets of serious, physical, big time ball the score could be much worse.
C.Clair Wrote:They have been the same for years and years. Channing has on a practice uniform because his normal one is to tight and wont fit over his shouder padss. He tried to wear a normal one the fitst game but it wouldnt get half way over his pads. I wish we would updaye them though.
He is usually the only one I see on the highlights so that is why I thought that BHS had changed uniforms.....lol...I thought that the team had descent uniforms, thanks for the info....Why does Channing use such big pads? I have never seen the kid in person (out of pads) but the pads must be pretty big for a RB...But he does play LB also....
Twitter: @tc_analytics

Belfry's D shows up friday shutting town Channing Fugate. Belfry by atleast 3 td's
Belfry will not have much troube here. Belfry 36 Breathitt- 12
I think this game will be close with Belfry pulling it out late by 1-2 TDs.
This will be just like last year. Belfry winning big.
TheBrahmaBull Wrote:He is usually the only one I see on the highlights so that is why I thought that BHS had changed uniforms.....lol...I thought that the team had descent uniforms, thanks for the info....Why does Channing use such big pads? I have never seen the kid in person (out of pads) but the pads must be pretty big for a RB...But he does play LB also....

Channing is a huge guy. He goes about 6 foot 2 and about 240 lbs. The pads are so big because he is such a big person.
Ill take Belfry by 3tds
Breathitt will not turn the ball over to Belfry 9 times this year. Two good football teams but the winner will be determined by two factors, kicking game and the team that don't lay it on the ground.
Belfry goes on to win this one big.
Good Luck Belfry.
State Champs Wrote:Breathitt will not turn the ball over to Belfry 9 times this year. Two good football teams but the winner will be determined by two factors, kicking game and the team that don't lay it on the ground.
Most of those turnovers were forced. If Breathitt don't win the line of scrimage it could be the same thing, because the Breathitt players were getting hit by three or four guys at a time, and you that makes it hard to hold on to the ball.
If Belfry wins the line of scrimage they will win this game, if they don't they are in trouble. But with that being said, as I have said the whole time, I just think Belfry is better on the line than Breathitt.
Belfry Wins Wrote:Most of those turnovers were forced. If Breathitt don't win the line of scrimage it could be the same thing, because the Breathitt players were getting hit by three or four guys at a time, and you that makes it hard to hold on to the ball.
If Belfry wins the line of scrimage they will win this game, if they don't they are in trouble. But with that being said, as I have said the whole time, I just think Belfry is better on the line than Breathitt.

Belfry wins the line play they will win. Breathitt line on both sides of the ball does not show up sometimes.
Belfry will win, no doubt. (GO PIRATES) I just hope Breathitt brings a good game cause I don't want to freeze to death for another boring blowout game. Smile
There will be a Bonfire tomorrow night about 6:30 at the Soccer Field adjacent to the stadium. Be sure to come out and let the boys know how much we appreciate them and show your Pirate Pride!!!

Note: This will be held after the they finish practice and they eat, so it will start shortly thereafter..

Go Pirates!!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Belfry!
**Send me a pm if you have any questions or comments**

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I made the comment about the team who wants it more will win. Do you honestly think that isnt true? have you ever seen these two play in the past decade? Well i played belfry 3 times. Everytime it came down to who truly wanted it more. The X's and O's mean nothing. Both coaches and staff know the game, inside and out. Both teams will face adversity. In the end, the group of young men that want and need it most, will travel to the carpet. Simple fact. Obviously you have never been on either team when they have faced each other in the playoffs. Goodluck Breathitt. I hope you make the overall record 4-2 against the pirates.
Through my eyes......

1. Belfry will be playing at CAM and win or lose it is the very last home game that these Seniors will ever play at home, which will put extra fire in their guts I'm sure.

2. Belfry have been playing excellent TEAM ball this year leaving most egos off the field. From Charlie, Andrew, Casey, Ivan, Thomas, Gary, Corey, Randy, Timmy and everyone else out there, they are all MVP's and make it happen each and every game.

3. Breathitt has a great football program and is a past State Champ, as is Belfry, and will also be feeling that some revenge is necessary for last year's loss.

4. Belfry will win at the LOS on both sides of the ball. I haven't seen any weak links in that position all year.

5. Breathitt may complete some passes on Belfry but after an interception or 2 they are going to have to go back to running the ball and I don't see 1 back getting the job done by himself.

Just an observation, but with ALMOST every post made by a Breathitt fan or anyone predicting Breathitt will win has pretty much put the entire game on 1 kids shoulders and I don't think that is fair to that kid.

Fugate may be that most talented player that ever stepped foot on a football field, I don't know, I haven't seen him, but to have that much hype and pressure placed upon you by fans is kinda unfair. I haven't read anything else about Breathitt's TEAM as a whole, just about how Fugate is going to "get his 4Td's" or run over Belfry.

My question is to the Breathitt fans...If Breathitt loses, are you going to blame that on Fugate too since he is all you mention?

My prediction for the game:

Belfry - 42
Breathitt - 21
I agree that it's unfair to place this game on Fugate's shoulders. Breathitt is a good team, but honestly they wouldn't be playing Friday if it wasn't for Fugate. He's used to carrying the load for this team and i don't think he lets the pressure get to him. That said, Fugate will not win this one by himself. Belfry is too good of a team to be beat by any one player. IMO, Belfry wins by 2-3 TDs.
Pirate Pal Wrote:Through my eyes......

1. Belfry will be playing at CAM and win or lose it is the very last home game that these Seniors will ever play at home, which will put extra fire in their guts I'm sure.

2. Belfry have been playing excellent TEAM ball this year leaving most egos off the field. From Charlie, Andrew, Casey, Ivan, Thomas, Gary, Corey, Randy, Timmy and everyone else out there, they are all MVP's and make it happen each and every game.

3. Breathitt has a great football program and is a past State Champ, as is Belfry, and will also be feeling that some revenge is necessary for last year's loss.

4. Belfry will win at the LOS on both sides of the ball. I haven't seen any weak links in that position all year.

5. Breathitt may complete some passes on Belfry but after an interception or 2 they are going to have to go back to running the ball and I don't see 1 back getting the job done by himself.

Just an observation, but with ALMOST every post made by a Breathitt fan or anyone predicting Breathitt will win has pretty much put the entire game on 1 kids shoulders and I don't think that is fair to that kid.

Fugate may be that most talented player that ever stepped foot on a football field, I don't know, I haven't seen him, but to have that much hype and pressure placed upon you by fans is kinda unfair. I haven't read anything else about Breathitt's TEAM as a whole, just about how Fugate is going to "get his 4Td's" or run over Belfry.

My question is to the Breathitt fans...If Breathitt loses, are you going to blame that on Fugate too since he is all you mention?

My prediction for the game:

Belfry - 42
Breathitt - 21

Nice post :Thumbs:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
yessur Wrote:This message is to "BelfryWins" and anyone else who wants to argue it. I made the comment about the team who wants it more will win. Do you honestly think that isnt true? have you ever seen these two play in the past decade? Well i played belfry 3 times. Everytime it came down to who truly wanted it more. The X's and O's mean nothing. Both coaches and staff know the game, inside and out. Both teams will face adversity. In the end, the group of young men that want and need it most, will travel to the carpet. Simple fact. Obviously you have never been on either team when they have faced each other in the playoffs. Goodluck Breathitt. I hope you make the overall record 4-2 against the pirates.

So I guess you would agree that the "best team" or the team with the "most talent".....doesn't always win? Pure desire can carry a team to victory?

I can agree with you to an extent.....but that certainly isn't the norm. I've played and coached at virtually every level....and while desire and determination is vital to the overall sucess of any team.....more times than not.......talent wins out. Not the best coaching....not who "who wants it more"......but sheer talent. Sometimes great coaching can trump better talent and vice versa so there are exceptions........ and with teams that are evenly matched in talent and coaching...sheer will definitely has it's place.

However, in this upcoming Breathitt/Belfry game....talent is going to trump. Talent will be the hill for one team or the other to climb. Motivation is not going to be an issue. There is no edge in terms of coaching. The coaching staffs are equaly matched. It's going to come down to execution and talent. To say that one team wants it more than another is shortsighted in my opinion.

Both teams have put long hrs in on the practice field for this opportunity. Both want to make the trip. No...this game will not be decided by who "wants it more".
  •  Previous
  • 8(current)
  • Next