Poll: Should John Calipari be fired?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
20.83%
No
79.17%
* You voted for this item.

•  Previous
  • 8(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Fire Calipari tonight
UK basketball is unwatchable, period. And I have had enough of Cal to last ten lifetimes. It's a shame really. He has hijacked UK basketball and continues to hold it hostage. I rarely even know when they are playing anymore.
Cal needs to go. But he won't cause of his lifetime contract, so whenever he finally is gone, our program will be in the toilet. I try to watch with optimism, but it's the same old thing and I end up turning it off. I haven't watched an entire game this year. Boy I miss the days when our players cared about the name on the front of the jersey instead of their draft status. I used to get so into it and now I expect to lose when we play a good team. Sad times.
(12-17-2022, 11:40 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: While I'm not sure what a  postgame "commit" is, the fact remains that Cal is going nowhere. He is here until he doesn't want to be here. While I agree that he is not a very good in-game coach, who is out there and available that would be a better fit here than Cal?  It takes a certain kind of personality to handle this job and Cal has the type of ego to handle it. If you had the ability to fire Cal and hire someone else, who would you hire, BGR scholars? 

Also, to play devil's advocate, how is Cal at fault for the horrible free-throw shooting and the missing of so many wide open shots?
A more difficult question would be "Who is out there who would be a worse bench coach than Cal?" As I said at the time when UK signed Cal's lifetime contract, UK cannot afford to fire him. That being the case, I would have fired everybody who approved that contract, from the President and Athletic Director to the lawyer who drafted the contract. My interest in UK basketball will not return until Calipari is gone.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hoot Gibson's post:
  • jax
Maybe UK has peeked to early this year again Old Hound, that was your excuse for Cal last year. That man crush you got on Cal is as bad as my spelling.
Correct me if I’m wrong, but I was under the impression that his LIFETIME CONTRACT was Not as coach but as an ambassador or something like that
(12-17-2022, 11:40 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: While I'm not sure what a postgame "commit" is, the fact remains that Cal is going nowhere. He is here until he doesn't want to be here. While I agree that he is not a very good in-game coach, who is out there and available that would be a better fit here than Cal? It takes a certain kind of personality to handle this job and Cal has the type of ego to handle it. If you had the ability to fire Cal and hire someone else, who would you hire, BGR scholars?

Also, to play devil's advocate, how is Cal at fault for the horrible free-throw shooting and the missing of so many wide open shots?

I would call Bruce Pearl, Rick Barnes, Billy Donovan, Shaka Smart, maybe Bobby Hurley, John Robic. They're all better coaches than Cal. Who cares if he's got the right "personality" HE AIN'T WINNING.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jax's post:
  • rookie57
Well, all I can say is the team sucks, and cal sucks bigger
[-] The following 1 user Likes rookie57's post:
  • jax
(12-29-2022, 01:57 AM)rookie57 Wrote: Well, all I can say is the team sucks, and cal sucks bigger

They are agonizing to watch right now. Hell, I say let 'em run up and down the floor and have some fun. Let the chips fall. They are awful in this antiquated halfcourt offense. Defense was terrible tronight, too. Can't help but think there may be some internal stuff going on , too. Is there a cancer in the locker room or are they just not very good?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Old School Hound's post:
  • rookie57
Team chemistry is sometimes a hard thing to find, but heck we been on a downhill slide for a while so I think it’s more than that.
not sure what tronight is Old Hound
(12-29-2022, 02:39 AM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(12-29-2022, 01:57 AM)rookie57 Wrote: Well, all I can say is the team sucks, and cal sucks bigger

They are agonizing to watch right now. Hell, I say let 'em run up and down the floor and have some fun. Let the chips fall. They are awful in this antiquated halfcourt offense. Defense was terrible tronight, too. Can't help but think there may be some internal stuff going on , too. Is there a cancer in the locker room or are they just not very good?
The cancer in UK's locker room has a name. It is John Calipari.
[-] The following 2 users Like Hoot Gibson's post:
  • jax, rookie57
I think that the basketball team and football team both need to swap offensive philosophies.
Stoops wants to run a pro offense but really need to run a college style offense.
Cal wants to run a slow down boring college offense when he should turn them loose and run a NBA style offense.

Football wise Andy Reed has been quoted as saying that in the last 7-10 years that innovation in offense has shifted from a pro football trickle down to high school as far as concepts and strategy. Now, it is more of a high school influencing college and pro football world.
Cal is the cancer
And coach Rupp looked down and saw them kneeling and plotting to change the name of the house he had built and put a curse on Cal
(01-07-2023, 07:17 PM)cherokee Wrote: And coach Rupp looked down and saw them kneeling and plotting to change the name of the house he had built and put a curse on Cal

Coach Rupp was the Marge Schott  of college basketball. Whether you like him as a basketball coach or not, Cal is a better person on his worse day that Rupp was on his best.
(01-07-2023, 09:59 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(01-07-2023, 07:17 PM)cherokee Wrote: And coach Rupp looked down and saw them kneeling and plotting to change the name of the house he had built and put a curse on Cal

Coach Rupp was the Marge Schott  of college basketball. Whether you like him as a basketball coach or not, Cal is a better person on his worse day that Rupp was on his best.

I think you meant worst. Please teach your kids better. Regardless, we are talking about our coach. And Rupp on his worst day was 1000x better coach than Cal on his best day. If Cal is such a good person he should give up his $10MM salary and give the fortune he made ruining UK basketball to homeless people. 

You are easily conned by people on the taxpayer tit like yourself who don't have any accountability and can do a shitty job and still get paid to infinity.

None of you would last a week in the private sector where you have to actually produce.
(01-08-2023, 12:06 AM)jetpilot Wrote:
(01-07-2023, 09:59 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:

I think you meant worst. Please teach your kids better. Regardless, we are talking about our coach. And Rupp on his worst day was 1000x better coach than Cal on his best day. If Cal is such a good person he should give up his $10MM salary and give the fortune he made ruining UK basketball to homeless people. 

You are easily conned by people on the taxpayer tit like yourself who don't have any accountability and can do a shitty job and still get paid to infinity.

None of you would last a week in the private sector where you have to actually produce.

I've never done a shitty job, even one day, in 36 years of teaching.
So how do we react now?
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
He's the coach of the year. I think he is the greatest coach in the country. I have been trying to tell you all that for some time now.
(01-14-2023, 04:37 PM)Spud6 Wrote: So how do we react now?
Easy. We are THRILLED with the effort and performance. They stood up to the bullies and were just as physical. GREAT job by Calipari having the guys ready to play today. First EVER win by an unranked UK team over a AP Top 5 team. There should be no other reaction from a UK fan today but thumbs up for Cal and the boys. Awesome performance!!!

(01-14-2023, 04:41 PM)Westside Wrote: He's the coach of the year.  I think he is the greatest coach in the country.  I have been trying to tell you all that for some time now.

He'snot a great x's and o's guy, but he does some things well. Very few can handle a high profile job like KY. He's one. Also, he's aaa good salesman(closer). Look at the class that's coming on board next year. I say keep him on and see what he does with that talented class next season. Where do we go, otherwise--- Scott Drew and Reed Shepherd?
Is Wheeler the guy the team doesn’t like? Seemed today the team played a lot free’r and they didn’t feel like someone was bossing them around is what it looked like.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
I think Cal should get a $1MM bonus if UK finishes in the top half of the SEC and gets a home NIT game.

It was Tennessee, they are known for choking.
(01-14-2023, 05:02 PM)Spud6 Wrote: Is Wheeler the guy the team doesn’t like? Seemed today the team played a lot free’r and they didn’t feel like someone was bossing them around is what it looked like.

In a word...YESSSSSSS!     Whether they don't like him or not, I don't know , but they are a much better team  with  O , Wallace, Reeves, Toppin, and Frederick on the floor.
Doesn’t change my mind at all, I want him gone
[-] The following 1 user Likes rookie57's post:
  • jax
Anyone who is truly a KY fan is thrilled with the way the kids competed against Tennessee yesterday. They balled out all game long. Cal confiscated their phones and ipads the night before the game so they could focus on the game and rest(great move, btw). Thus, they didn't have to read all the negativity that was being written about them and their coach on message boards from fair weather fans who would rather b!tc* than cheer for them.

The kids in blue were more physical than a very physical Vol squad. UK outrebounded the #2 rebounding team in the nation by 20!!! That's right, TWENTY!!! Whatever Calipari said and did prior to this game worked wonders. Now, let's hope they keep it rolling. If they can win in hostile Knoxville , they can win anywhere.

Frederick, Wallace, Reeves, Toppin, and Oscar needs to be the Fab Five. Bring Wheeler off the bench to relieve a starter. The offense runs smoother with those five on the floor.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Old School Hound's post:
  • Spud6
(01-15-2023, 08:21 AM)Old School Hound Wrote: Anyone who is truly a KY fan is thrilled with the way the kids competed against Tennessee yesterday. They balled out all game long.  Cal confiscated their phones and ipads the night before the game so they could focus on the game and rest(great move, btw). Thus, they didn't have to read all the negativity that was being written about them and their coach on message boards from fair weather fans who would rather b!tc* than cheer for them.
You can't speak accurately about "anyone who is truly a KY fan".  I am thrilled for the win, but it changes nothing in the overall scenario.  Either Cal is effective in UK winning, or he isn't.  Evidence at this point in time suggests he isn't.  I didn't hear anything about the confiscating of phones and Ipads, but it is a great idea!  Cal should've been doing that all season.  Perhaps they had a time period of prayer and meditation.  Even if YOU don't believe in God, some time looking at yourself and thinking about issues and how to resolve them, could only be positive.  At least that's what Oscar said in his post game interview.  And "fair weather" fans isn't a fair and accurate description of all UK fans who are disillusioned with Cal.  It's evident that Cal is more interested in the individual players than he is in the "team" dynamic.  Some of the UK fans, maybe most of us, would love to see the heritage and tradition of UK basketball restored.  Team work, team dynamics and team playing are what put the championship flags hanging in Rupp NOT how many individuals went to the NBA.

The kids in blue were more physical than a very physical Vol squad. UK outrebounded the #2 rebounding team in the nation by  20!!! That's right, TWENTY!!!  Whatever Calipari said and did prior to this game worked wonders. Now, let's hope they keep it rolling. If they can win  in hostile Knoxville , they can win anywhere.
If Oscar had clobbered Plavsic to the point of getting thrown out of the game, I wouldn't have blamed him.

Frederick, Wallace, Reeves, Toppin, and Oscar needs to be the Fab Five. Bring Wheeler off the bench to relieve a starter. The offense runs smoother with those five on the floor.
I do agree with your Fab Five.  Let's hope Cal will agree, too.  The chemistry these kids had yesterday, hasn't been present before.
[-] The following 3 users Like Granny Bear's post:
  • Hoot Gibson, jetpilot, rookie57
(01-15-2023, 08:21 AM)Old School Hound Wrote: Anyone who is truly a KY fan is thrilled with the way the kids competed against Tennessee yesterday. They balled out all game long.  Cal confiscated their phones and ipads the night before the game so they could focus on the game and rest(great move, btw). Thus, they didn't have to read all the negativity that was being written about them and their coach on message boards from fair weather fans who would rather b!tc* than cheer for them.

The kids in blue were more physical than a very physical Vol squad. UK outrebounded the #2 rebounding team in the nation by  20!!! That's right, TWENTY!!!  Whatever Calipari said and did prior to this game worked wonders. Now, let's hope they keep it rolling. If they can win  in hostile Knoxville , they can win anywhere.

As someone who grew up listening to UK games on the radio with my father before every game was televised, and went on to get two degrees from UK, it infuriates me that someone (esp. someone who never went to UK) has the unmitigated gall to tell me what all true UK fans think and if they don't they are not true fans but fair weather fans. For lack of a better word, and not picking on OSH here, it's...idiotic.

OSH uses traits shared by everyone with the same mind virus he has: virtue-signalling and gaslighting. He blindly follows his "leader" (in this case Cal) and signals his virtue in order for him to feel morally superior to those who don't share his opinion (aka the majority) and then uses gaslighting to try to make the same group of people believe there is something wrong with them.
All while ignoring all the facts and expecting people to not believe their own eyes and ears. 

Totally on brand for OSH.

To be clear, I hope this win turns the season around, UK gets back to playing UK basketball, and Rupp Arena isn't half full for games anymore.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jetpilot's post:
  • rookie57
^^^^

"Either Cal is effective in UK winning or he's not." Evidence at this point in time suggests he isn't."

Not sure where that evidence comes from. The dude has a 77.8% winning percentage at UK and better than a 77% on court winning percentage over his career. Only Mark Few at Gonzaga has a better record of winning games than Cal.

Does seasons of 35-3, 38-2 , 38-1, 32-6 , and 30-7 ring a bell? Tossing aside the weird year after Covid anomaly, Cal has AVERAGED 29.7 wins a season at Kentucky. AVERAGED 30 wins a season !!!

I think the evidence is clear that Cal knows how to win games. He's done it his whole career. Some of the players we've had the past few seasons have not exactly lived up to their pre-college hype. Anthony Davis and John Wall don't happen every season, yet Cal still wins his 25 to 30. Cal clearly cares enough about his kids to want to position them for success at the next level. I'm guessing more of his players have gone on to the next level and become multi-millionaires than those of any other coach. Isn't that what we ask of our teachers? Love them like you do your own kids and show them the way to be successful after college? I think Cal checks those boxes.

I think it would be a mistake to buy out Cal now. He has what many are saying the best recruting class in the country coming in. If Cal's gone, that class may be gone as well. Let's see what happens the remainder of this season. These kids and Cal have the potential to win out the remainder of the regular season. They just beat a legitimate national title contender on their home floor. I think they will make the NCAA tornament and be a very dangerous opponent for whoever they face. And next season could be a return to glory with the talented class coming in.

I'm not willing to cast my lot with choir boy, Scott Drew, and the kid from London. Those two aren't hanging banners from the rafters of Rupp anytime soon.

Who's with me on this? Be honest. Give Cal another year with the group he has coming in and expect a Final Four.
Or would you like to blow it up now, get rid of a Hall of Fame coach, and start anew. Who do you think would come here that would have a greater record of winning than Calipari? Jay Wright ain't coming out of retirement to come here. Billy Donovan ain't boarding his private jet for Lexington. Mark Few has a better gig on the left coast. Sean Miller? Rick Pitino? Bruce Pearl ? He's a slimeball.

Better do some heavy meditation before you junk the Hall of Famer.
IMO, no coach has brought as much talent to Lexington on an annual basis as John Calipari has and yet, in 13 seasons he has won the same number of NCAA titles as Tubby Smith won in 10 years - one.

Calipari's best days are clearly behind him. He is the second highest paid NCAA basketball coach and he has not been earning his keep. Few college basketball coaches have ever achieved less with so many great athletes.

As the following list shows, UK has had two great college basketball coaches in the past century and John Calipari was not one of them. If Calipari keeps coaching long enough, he will likely fall below Tubby Smith and possibly below Joe Hall in winning percentage at UK.

Adolph Rupp 82.8% (4 NCAA titles in 40 seasons)
Rick Pitino 81.4% (1 title in 6 seasons eligibility - ineligibe first 2 seasons because of NCAA penalties)
John Calipari 77.8% (1 title in 13 seasons)
Tubby Smith 76% (1 title in 10 seasons)
Joe Hall 74.8% (1 title) in 13 seasons)
Eddie Sutton 69.3% (0 titles in 4 seasons)
Billy Gillispie 59.7% (0 titles in 2 seasons)

I personally do not want to see Calipari fired because of the cost of getting rid of him and his lifetime contract. Besides, Mitch Barnhart needs to go first so that he has absolutely no say in hiring the next UK basketball coach. Barnhart should have been fired after he hired Billy Gillispie, allowed Gillispie to coach for two years without signing and contract, and then paid him to go away.

Instead of punishing its athletic director for hiring Gillispie and then hiring and later signing Calipari to a lifetime contract, UK recently extended Barnhart's contract through the 2025-2026 school year and gave him a very generous raise.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hoot Gibson's post:
  • rookie57
  •  Previous
  • 8(current)
  • Next