•  Previous
  • 8(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who will be Harlan County's Next Coach?
HDE Wrote:How long do you get?
Bob Rose was pretty popular at W-Burg and didn't come close to a state title.
I thought Campbell did a nice job at Whitley but probably didn't win more than one or two district titles.
J.B. Donahue has been at Harlan for 22 years and hasn't been past the final eight of Class A and some think he should be the next coach at HCHS.
Charlie Hunter coached 20-plus years at Evarts and won more games than any Harlan County coach and didn't make it to the final four either.
I don't know if Roy Kidd won any high school state championships before going to Eastern.
Welcome back HDE. Haven't seen ya in awhile. Missed the banter. Got any thoughts who might be on the sidelines next year?
I thought Campbell did a nice job at Whitley but probably didn't win more than one or two district titles.
J.B. Donahue has been at Harlan for 22 years and hasn't been past the final eight of Class A and some think he should be the next coach at HCHS.
Charlie Hunter coached 20-plus years at Evarts and won more games than any Harlan County coach and didn't make it to the final four either.
I don't know if Roy Kidd won any high school state championships before going to Eastern.
I'd forgotten about ole' Coach Hunter. Played for him when he was an assistant for Ron Johnson at Evarts. Coach Hunter was a wild one for sure Confusednicker:

You get four years to build a program. That gives you enough time to change the perspective and get a new generation of kids playing for you. The next four years you should be winning district and region titles pretty often as your entire system is in full effect from top to bottom. Elementary schools should be on board, middle school staff should be on board, and the frosh and jv teams should know what to expect by then.
After year 8, you should get 2-3 more years to get a state title.

Lets make one thing clear. This isn't 4A football anymore. You've got 6 classes in a watered down system and Pulaski has proven it doesn't matter how big of a class your in or what style of football youre playing that things can be changed and titles can be won under the current alignment.

A coach should never be at a school more than 10 years without a state title. Never. I would also never give a coach 5 more years of going without a title after his first one.
Is one state title in 10 years and one in every 5 after that too much to ask for?

Now this may very depending on the program, but nobody in 5A football should struggle to do this or at least make a title game once every 5-10 years.

For any who would go against this, I do ask, what is the goal if youre still satisfied with a coach whos been at youre school for over 10 years and has never won a title? It makes no sense to me. Under the 4 class system, sure, district and region titles meant more. They were harder to achieve. Under this system and 4 team district its absurd if a coach cant win a district title in his first 5 years. Its obviously possible and gets done. Look at the shape Letcher was in. Brought in Holcomb, and they already have a district title. I guarantee they'll be competing for a region title in a couple of year, and then after a new realignment and Highlands/Cov Cath picking and choosing where they want to go (we know it wont be 6A) then even Letcher may be in the hunt for a state title appearance.

Its really that simple.
Demarcus ware Wrote:Welcome back HDE. Haven't seen ya in awhile. Missed the banter. Got any thoughts who might be on the sidelines next year?

You'll have to banter with me. HDE can't play anymore. Apparently, some little weasel who got tired of losing debates got their feelings hurt and complained. That must have been a mistake that he showed back up briefly.
No speculation at this point.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:You get four years to build a program. That gives you enough time to change the perspective and get a new generation of kids playing for you. The next four years you should be winning district and region titles pretty often as your entire system is in full effect from top to bottom. Elementary schools should be on board, middle school staff should be on board, and the frosh and jv teams should know what to expect by then.

Lets make one thing clear. This isn't 4A football anymore. You've got 6 classes in a watered down system and Pulaski has proven it doesn't matter how big of a class your in or what style of football youre playing that things can be changed and titles can be won under the current alignment.

Its really that simple.

What's really ironic though is that you would have fired Hines before he could have won. How long has he been at Pulaski?
HCS Wrote:You'll have to banter with me. HDE can't play anymore. Apparently, some little weasel who got tired of losing debates got their feelings hurt and complained. That must have been a mistake that he showed back up briefly.
Not really sure what you're talking about but sure. Who's the weasel? And what was the complaint? Confusednicker:
I think your plan for HCHS would be more interesting.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:You get four years to build a program. That gives you enough time to change the perspective and get a new generation of kids playing for you. The next four years you should be winning district and region titles pretty often as your entire system is in full effect from top to bottom. Elementary schools should be on board, middle school staff should be on board, and the frosh and jv teams should know what to expect by then.

A coach should never be at a school more than 10 years without a state title. Never. I would also never give a coach 5 more years of going without a title after his first one.
Is one state title in 10 years and one in every 5 after that too much to ask for?

Now this may very depending on the program, but nobody in 5A football should struggle to do this or at least make a title game once every 5-10 years.

For any who would go against this, I do ask, what is the goal if youre still satisfied with a coach whos been at youre school for over 10 years and has never won a title? It makes no sense to me. Under the 4 class system, sure, district and region titles meant more. They were harder to achieve. Under this system and 4 team district its absurd if a coach cant win a district title in his first 5 years. Its obviously possible and gets done. Look at the shape Letcher was in. Brought in Holcomb, and they already have a district title. I guarantee they'll be competing for a region title in a couple of year, and then after a new realignment and Highlands/Cov Cath picking and choosing where they want to go (we know it wont be 6A) then even Letcher may be in the hunt for a state title appearance.

Its really that simple.

For college maybe, but a very small % of high school teams will ever make it to a region championship for different reasons, no matter what.
For example,these teams will never play for a region title.
Berea
McCreary Cent
Phelps
Jenkins
Your unrealistic goals are just that for most teams.
It would be awful to have you as a boss.
HCS Wrote:I think your plan for HCHS would be more interesting.
My plan doesn't matter I dont get to make decisions unfortunately. Plus my plans are scattered all over these boards. Look em up.
Bear booster Wrote:For college maybe, but a very small % of high school teams will ever make it to a region championship for different reasons, no matter what.
Berea
McCreary Cent
Phelps
Jenkins
GUT for president. He would be an awesome boss as long as everyone does there job no worries Confusednicker:
HCS Wrote:You'll have to banter with me. HDE can't play anymore. Apparently, some little weasel who got tired of losing debates got their feelings hurt and complained. That must have been a mistake that he showed back up briefly.
I'm pretty sure it wasn't a mistake. Its been awhile but glad to see him back.

Its really that simple.

So now you're saying Philip Haywood should have been without a job? He went from 83-03 without winning one. Then 9 years between winning titles, 04-13...
Bear booster Wrote:For college maybe, but a very small % of high school teams will ever make it to a region championship for different reasons, no matter what.
Berea
McCreary Cent
Phelps
Jenkins

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:
Assasin Wrote:Same as you, just a screen name. Let me set this straight. I fully support Tom Larkey. His firing is a disgrace. The problem IS all of the rumors. I don't understand why you are so upset. If YOU don't have the facts, maybe YOU shouldnt be just throwing out names. I didn't disrespect anyones opinion or posts , and I expect the same. I'll end my post on this rumor mill by simply saying, Harlan Co made a BIG mistake andmay have cost the school a program to be proud of over a few peoples arrogance

I am upset because of the manner in which Larkey was terminated, that IS a disgrace and why I am upset.

I wasn't attacking you at all and the reason I was posting rumors was to try and show everyone how idiotic it is. I mean Demarcus and Gut make more sense saying THEY will coach.

I will apologize to you but believe me, you have misunderstood my intention. Larkey was building a great program at HC, and like you I'm scared to death that it has come to a screeching halt.

Oh, and EVERYBODY knows who I am!!
LOL
Who are all the assistant coaches and is there any chance of one of them getting the job? Or were they also dismissed as coaches?

Its really that simple.

Does this apply to all sports?
yes we do know who you are .granny Confusednicker: pure awesomeness
Demarcus ware Wrote:yes we do know who you are .granny Confusednicker: pure awesomeness

And a good cook to boot!!!! (From what I've heard .)

:Clap:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Living The Dream!!
A week later, what is the word on the street around Harlan County? Who's in the mix...who leads for the head coaching position...etc? I have a hard time believing they would have made this decision without another name that was showing high interest in the job.
Greg duncum?
Duncum wouldn't be a bad hire. Pretty good guy seemed like. I went and watched the Hounds play A few times last year. I don't see many coaches chomping at the bit for this job. If you let a guy like Larkey go then expectations are going to be through the roof. Unless the money is good. Then a coach may jump at it. But it's hard to uproot your family and move to Harlan County. They may go the inside the system route also. If anything best of luck finding a quality coach. Harlan county is a wonderful place to catch a football game.
Has Jeff Norman applied for the job?
I keep hearing David Hensley.
panther nation Wrote:And a good cook to boot!!!! (From what I've heard .)

Yes Panther she's an awesome cook. She makes a cake that is flipping awesome. I actually got the whole thing all to myself once. I was overdosed on it. Lol
footballfever Wrote:Who are all the assistant coaches and is there any chance of one of them getting the job? Or were they also dismissed as coaches?

Larkey is the only person that was terminated. However, upon hearing the news, DC Ovie Canady quit.

panther nation Wrote:And a good cook to boot!!!! (From what I've heard .)

YOUR fault for missing the HC/KC basketball game!! Hubby ate THAT cake!!

Wildcat18 Wrote:A week later, what is the word on the street around Harlan County? Who's in the mix...who leads for the head coaching position...etc? I have a hard time believing they would have made this decision without another name that was showing high interest in the job.

No one really knows. AND if anyone was showing high interest in the job, they aren't at this time. The position hasn't even been posted as of today.

The_Rock Wrote:Has Jeff Norman applied for the job?

No one has.

FarristownFlyer Wrote:I keep hearing David Hensley.

I would highly doubt this Farristown.

Demarcus ware Wrote:Yes Panther she's an awesome cook. She makes a cake that is flipping awesome. I actually got the whole thing all to myself once. I was overdosed on it. Lol

He overdoses on a lot of stuff......pumpkin cake, Crown....etc
Confusednicker:
Bear booster Wrote:Does this apply to all sports?

No just football where you have a watered down 6 classes and a semi easy road to the title.
HCS Wrote:What's really ironic though is that you would have fired Hines before he could have won. How long has he been at Pulaski?

We're talking About a different time. Obviously Pulaski couldn't compete with Trinity in 4A football. Now there are no excuses however if a coach no matter the time period hasn't won a title in 20 years including Haywood then yes I'd look somewhere else because he would have never made it 10 years.
Berea
McCreary Cent
Phelps
Jenkins

As I said 4 years is enough time to build a good base at any of those schools. Now I'm not including administration problems. That's a different situation that coaches shouldn't even waste there time with. But in 4 years you should have turned the thinking around and in 8 be winning district titles. If not it's on you. Nobody else.

And you would love me as a boss. I'd get the job done. Only problem is I'd never hire you.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:As I said 4 years is enough time to build a good base at any of those schools. Now I'm not including administration problems. That's a different situation that coaches shouldn't even waste there time with. But in 4 years you should have turned the thinking around and in 8 be winning district titles. If not it's on you. Nobody else.

And you would love me as a boss. I'd get the job done. Only problem is I'd never hire you.
:hilarious:
Granny Bear Wrote:Larkey is the only person that was terminated. However, upon hearing the news, DC Ovie Canady quit.

YOUR fault for missing the HC/KC basketball game!! Hubby ate THAT cake!!

No one really knows. AND if anyone was showing high interest in the job, they aren't at this time. The position hasn't even been posted as of today.
I know for a fact that at least one person has reached out to the AD about the position. Did so last week in fact.

No one has.

I would highly doubt this Farristown.

He overdoses on a lot of stuff......pumpkin cake, Crown....etc
Confusednicker:
I know for a fact that at least one person has reached out to the ad about the position. Did so last week in fact.
  •  Previous
  • 8(current)
  • Next