•  Previous
  • 7(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fastest football player in your schools history?
OldJacket Wrote:No Question Zach is fast, but is he the fastest Colonel this year...

I'm not sure.anybody heard if he is still in town? Smile
I'm trying to think of some from Corbin. My memory isn't working too well so some of the really fast guys that I can think of would be Eric Blackwood around 2006 and Mike Neal around 2000. Blackwood may have been around 4.64 or 4.65 and was a heck of an athlete but Neal may have been the most impressive. He was about 5'9" 210-215 fullback that would kick it in gear and be gone. His 40 time may have been around 4.72 (guessing) but on the top end, he was hard to catch. I'm sure he could dip down in the 4.6's on occasion but people don't realize how fast that is.

Just the other day, I was watching some combine on ESPNU called The Opening. It had Damien Harris and the elite of the elite in this years' high school class. You would see an occasional 4.5 but those were few and far between. With the exception of 2 or 3 in this thread, I'd probably add .3 or .4 to every time.
Gut,

Was the back after Bobby Joe Lawson, Gary Tye, Jonas Fultz, or Jonathan Blakely?
HAROLD Wrote:Gut,

Was the back after Bobby Joe Lawson, Gary Tye, Jonas Fultz, or Jonathan Blakely?

I believe it was Tye. Thanks for posting that. It had completely left my mind. Fultz was the kid I was thinking about that was underrated. Blakely was late 90and I played with him. He was only a year older than me. Last year was 2000 I think with Bobby Gibbs and that crew.

I cant believe I forgot to mention Tye and Fultz in my previous comment. Complete brain fart on that one. I guess our string of rb's has been pretty dang good. I think it has went Lawson, Tye, Fultz, Morgan, Blakely, Baird, Adkins, Rider, etc. I think that's right, somebody can correct me if its wrong. I cant remember what year Stack was there. I think he was there during the same time as Lawson, maybe a year older or younger.
Do-double-gg Wrote:Dang GUT what are you doing up at this time of the night.......or morning!

I was already up leaving for work before you had rolled over to scratch your ass :biggrin:
pjdoug Wrote:then Williamsburg could become a ghost town too Confusednicker:

I thought it already was lol. The last time I was there the only thing I seen inside city limits was the college. If they keep buying and tearing down houses, theres not going to be enough kids to fill a classroom up over there.
pjdoug Wrote:Stack was pretty quick. what was his 40 time?

Another one that slipped my mind. Where did he end up? Its been years ago, but the last time I seen him, he was still a cop I think.
OldJacket Wrote:No Question Zach is fast, but is he the fastest Colonel this year...

I would say nope :biggrin: which is REALLY good to have that much speed.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I was already up leaving for work before you had rolled over to scratch your ass :biggrin:

"Nope", when you posted that I was at work lol. I am working from 11:00pm to7:00am right now.
HAROLD Wrote:I'm trying to think of some from Corbin. My memory isn't working too well so some of the really fast guys that I can think of would be Eric Blackwood around 2006 and Mike Neal around 2000. Blackwood may have been around 4.64 or 4.65 and was a heck of an athlete but Neal may have been the most impressive. He was about 5'9" 210-215 fullback that would kick it in gear and be gone. His 40 time may have been around 4.72 (guessing) but on the top end, he was hard to catch. I'm sure he could dip down in the 4.6's on occasion but people don't realize how fast that

Fastest Redhound I ever saw (from behind) was Steve Bird.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I believe it was Tye. Thanks for posting that. It had completely left my mind. Fultz was the kid I was thinking about that was underrated. Blakely was late 90and I played with him. He was only a year older than me. Last year was 2000 I think with Bobby Gibbs and that crew.

I cant believe I forgot to mention Tye and Fultz in my previous comment. Complete brain fart on that one. I guess our string of rb's has been pretty dang good. I think it has went Lawson, Tye, Fultz, Morgan, Blakely, Baird, Adkins, Rider, etc. I think that's right, somebody can correct me if its wrong. I cant remember what year Stack was there. I think he was there during the same time as Lawson, maybe a year older or younger.

they've had a lot of good running backs over the years for sure including some impressive fullbacks.
From the 60s and early 70s, Larry Kirksey and Charles Kirksey from Harlan and David Goins from Corbin...
Gitback Coach Wrote:Fastest Redhound I ever saw (from behind) was Steve Bird.

I always saw Steve Bird as quick rather than fast.

He cut very well and was fast for the era but not blazing IMO. Of course I only saw him once in High School ('77) but saw him a lot at EKU when he was a WR. Same thing there. Quick but not fast. Some of the best hands you'd ever want a Receiver as well.
HAROLD Wrote:I'm trying to think of some from Corbin. My memory isn't working too well so some of the really fast guys that I can think of would be Eric Blackwood around 2006 and Mike Neal around 2000. Blackwood may have been around 4.64 or 4.65 and was a heck of an athlete but Neal may have been the most impressive. He was about 5'9" 210-215 fullback that would kick it in gear and be gone. His 40 time may have been around 4.72 (guessing) but on the top end, he was hard to catch. I'm sure he could dip down in the 4.6's on occasion but people don't realize how fast that is.

Just the other day, I was watching some combine on ESPNU called The Opening. It had Damien Harris and the elite of the elite in this years' high school class. You would see an occasional 4.5 but those were few and far between. With the exception of 2 or 3 in this thread, I'd probably add .3 or .4 to every time.

Neal's 100 time was far more impressive than his 40 time. He seemed to keep picking up speed. Blackwood was fast, but Jeremy Ware had more straight line speed. I know after high school Ware's 40 was around the 4.4 range.
I actually forgot about Ware. I was thinking more along the line of offensive skill players whereas Jeremy was a terror on defense. You're absolutely right on Neal. He had that initial burst through the line, would break free from the second level of the D and then he was off. I would be curious to see what his average yards per carry was. I've never seen a Redhound with more 20-30 plus yard gains. Imagine if he wasn't in a stacked backfield with both Sizemore and Cook?
HAROLD Wrote:I actually forgot about Ware. I was thinking more along the line of offensive skill players whereas Jeremy was a terror on defense. You're absolutely right on Neal. He had that initial burst through the line, would break free from the second level of the D and then he was off. I would be curious to see what his average yards per carry was. I've never seen a Redhound with more 20-30 plus yard gains. Imagine if he wasn't in a stacked backfield with both Sizemore and Cook?

I agree completely with Neal. Many people didn't realize his top end speed was probably the best in that backfield. However, playing at Fullback I thought he was often under utilized.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:David Jones is probably the only true 4.4 40 to come out of the mountains in a couple decades.

Stay Tuned!!!!!!!!!!! :eyeroll:
HAROLD Wrote:I actually forgot about Ware. I was thinking more along the line of offensive skill players whereas Jeremy was a terror on defense. You're absolutely right on Neal. He had that initial burst through the line, would break free from the second level of the D and then he was off. I would be curious to see what his average yards per carry was. I've never seen a Redhound with more 20-30 plus yard gains. Imagine if he wasn't in a stacked backfield with both Sizemore and Cook?

I was trying to think back over the last 20-30 years and the only other name I could come up with was Chris Ledington!! He was more of a track guy but did ok on the grid iron too!! He was sub 11 in the 100 I know but not sure about his 40 time.
Go Big Red! Wrote:I was trying to think back over the last 20-30 years and the only other name I could come up with was Chris Ledington!! He was more of a track guy but did ok on the grid iron too!! He was sub 11 in the 100 I know but not sure about his 40 time.

I know a fast Whitley County guy that ran track against Chris Ledington.he still talks about how fast he was.
pjdoug Wrote:Stack was pretty quick. what was his 40 time?

Are you asking what my time was? It was hand timed by coaches so not the most accurrate time in anyway, but was told a 4.4. Have no idea how accurate that was, do know on the track I ran 11.1 in the 100 meters. I was regional champ but did not consider myself a sprinter but a middle distance runner. You need to be consistantly under 11.0 to be considered a true sprinter IMO. My best race was the 800 meters(which really is a sprint) and 400 meters.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:David Jones is probably the only true 4.4 40 to come out of the mountains in a couple decades.

I like to see a foot race between Jones and John Cole. That would be a classic.
Bear_Paw Wrote:I like to see a foot race between Jones and John Cole. That would be a classic.

Or better yet, I would have liked to have seen them go one on one with Cole at WR and Jones at DB.
Chris Jennings / Steven Crisp
Fairview Jeff Stephens from the 80's not best just fastest still think he holds the single game record for yards
Back in 89 or 90 Chris Leddington ran 10.2s 100 m.d against me
Beasley from North Oldham had to be the fastest I saw at the high school level. Saw a lot of tacklers misjudge the angle on him.
probably either chris Jennings 2002 who played for university of Arizona...Cleveland browns and montreal allouettes. 4.45 with size. or Elijah king 2012 who is currently enrolled in santa barbarbra city community college, with offers from texas state and others..4.4 speed. Fairview high school
glb24 Wrote:Back in 89 or 90 Chris Leddington ran 10.2s 100 m.d against me

He was one of the fastest around for sure.
Jason Brown/ Marty Ragen
Had to read back through this thread to make sure he wasn't mentioned but John Logan at Lexington Catholic was lightning fast. Ran 4.3s consistently at the combines before his senior year. After he went to UK I was up there for a visit and they said they got him on the clock in the 4.2s at one point. The only drawback from what I could tell was that he had bricks for hands, which as a WR certainly doesn't help your cause.
  •  Previous
  • 7(current)
  • Next