•  Previous
  • 5(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's Wrong with Paintsville?
Eagle Eye Wrote:Thanks for the info. I didn't realize that our middle school scored that high!
What I never could Figure out is why Johnson Countie's Middle and Elementary schools manage to do so great but the high school is average. I think the administration at the high school needs to take a long hard look at the facts, and make some changes in the high school.
PaintsvilleTigerfan Wrote:What I never could Figure out is why Johnson Countie's Middle and Elementary schools manage to do so great but the high school is average. I think the administration at the high school needs to take a long hard look at the facts, and make some changes in the high school.

Funny how this thread started out as what is wrong with Paintsville football and we now find out JC's high school administration is not good. How has that hurt Paintsville football?

Look around the school at Paintsville and then look around at JC and see the banners. It will become very clear what is wrong with Paintsville football!
Paintsville has always had success in academics. Till recently no one questioned their success in football. In my opinion, the single biggest decline in Tiger football is because of Jim Matney and the Eagles success. Examine previous rosters and you could always find county kids that wanted to play there. Those type of kids are now staying at Central. As a matter of fact, it has reversed the other way.
THOMCAT Wrote:Paintsville has always had success in academics. Till recently no one questioned their success in football. In my opinion, the single biggest decline in Tiger football is because of Jim Matney and the Eagles success. Examine previous rosters and you could always find county kids that wanted to play there. Those type of kids are now staying at Central. As a matter of fact, it has reversed the other way.

You make it sound like the only reason Paintsville ever had any success was because there was a county kid or two on the team.
Notre Dame Football…GO IRISH
Redneck Wrote:You make it sound like the only reason Paintsville ever had any success was because there was a county kid or two on the team.

No, it is not the only reason. It was Paintsville kids for the majority with some county kids blended in. Turning the other way means that JC has kids in their program with Paintsville roots in addition to kids from elsewhere.
THOMCAT Wrote:No, it is not the only reason. It was Paintsville kids for the majority with some county kids blended in. Turning the other way means that JC has kids in their program with Paintsville roots in addition to kids from elsewhere.

I know that's not what ya meant, just givin ya a hard time :biggrin:

See ya friday.
Coach Kinner is exactly what is wrong. His team has no respect for him. He is too young. He knows too little about football. If he is on the coaching staff at all, it should be as a defensive coordinator. His language is terrible. You can hear it in the stands. If administration can leave politics out of it and want a winning football team again, they will simply fire him. They made their mistake when they gave the job to him in the first place. He has talent and he has kids with heart. This should produce a winning team if you have a coach to lead them. Kinner should be teaching these kids with heart that want to play football how to play football! He simply CANNOT do that. That fact of the matter is...he is not head coach and that is what's wrong with Paintsville.
eastkyfootballfan Wrote:Coach Kinner is exactly what is wrong. His team has no respect for him. He is too young. He knows too little about football. If he is on the coaching staff at all, it should be as a defensive coordinator. His language is terrible. You can hear it in the stands. If administration can leave politics out of it and want a winning football team again, they will simply fire him. They made their mistake when they gave the job to him in the first place. He has talent and he has kids with heart. This should produce a winning team if you have a coach to lead them. Kinner should be teaching these kids with heart that want to play football how to play football! He simply CANNOT do that. That fact of the matter is...he is not head coach and that is what's wrong with Paintsville.

28 years old is too young to be a head coach in high school football??? That's actually kinda funny, Josh McDaniels (Denver Broncos Head Coach) is only 33 years, and he's a head coach in the NFL, and look at how he's done. Age means NOTHING.

Knows too little about football, yet you think he should be a defensive coordinator? That makes alot of sense.

His language is terrible? I can name 3 head coaches in this area that doesn't cuss on the sidelines, one of whom is no longer a head coach (Haywood, Matney, David LeMaster).

You think politics was the reason he was hired? Let's see here, he was a 4 year starter at Paintsville, All-State LB. Won a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP while playing at Georgetown. Played/learned the game under two great head coaches (LeMaster and Cronin). Was an assistant coach at Paintsville for a couple of years. Why not hire him. Everybody, EVERYBODY cried around about coach Allen until he was fired because their kids didn't like him and they werent gonna play if he was still gonna be coachin.

You wanna know what the biggest problem is. It's the parents for the most part. 90% of the kids have been babied their whole life and been told that they are the best, they think they don't have to listen to their coaches, their attitudes SUCK (that's obvious from all the personal foul and unsportsmanlike conduct penalties they had this year), they can't take any kind of critisism (I was always told not to worry when my coaches yell and cuss at me, that means they care; IF they don't yell at you, that's when you should be worried).
Redneck Wrote:28 years old is too young to be a head coach in high school football??? That's actually kinda funny, Josh McDaniels (Denver Broncos Head Coach) is only 33 years, and he's a head coach in the NFL, and look at how he's done. Age means NOTHING.

Knows too little about football, yet you think he should be a defensive coordinator? That makes alot of sense.

His language is terrible? I can name 3 head coaches in this area that doesn't cuss on the sidelines, one of whom is no longer a head coach (Haywood, Matney, David LeMaster).

You think politics was the reason he was hired? Let's see here, he was a 4 year starter at Paintsville, All-State LB. Won a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP while playing at Georgetown. Played/learned the game under two great head coaches (LeMaster and Cronin). Was an assistant coach at Paintsville for a couple of years. Why not hire him. Everybody, EVERYBODY cried around about coach Allen until he was fired because their kids didn't like him and they werent gonna play if he was still gonna be coachin.

You wanna know what the biggest problem is. It's the parents for the most part. 90% of the kids have been babied their whole life and been told that they are the best, they think they don't have to listen to their coaches, their attitudes SUCK (that's obvious from all the personal foul and unsportsmanlike conduct penalties they had this year), they can't take any kind of critisism (I was always told not to worry when my coaches yell and cuss at me, that means they care; IF they don't yell at you, that's when you should be worried).

Sorry that i no longer drink the blue Kool Laid, one day you will grow up enough to realize that Paintsville is and will never be again a good football program. It time to hire a coach who teaches rather that a teacher would who like to coach. Sorry Bill Don but those are the facts.
eastkyfootballfan Wrote:Sorry that i no longer drink the blue Kool Laid, one day you will grow up enough to realize that Paintsville is and will never be again a good football program. It time to hire a coach who teaches rather that a teacher would who like to coach. Sorry Bill Don but those are the facts.

That's your opinion, and you're entitled to it. I gave you mine. Quick question. How many kids were in the weightroom durin the offseason bustin their butts to get stronger and faster??? Champions are made in the offseason, hard work and dedication.
I think he needs to be givin a chance but i also think he needs to realise that the spread isnt the way to go. we are gonna have a tough time next year without Dyllon and Nehemiah.
Redneck Wrote:That's your opinion, and you're entitled to it. I gave you mine. Quick question. How many kids were in the weightroom durin the offseason bustin their butts to get stronger and faster??? Champions are made in the offseason, hard work and dedication.

Dedication in the weight room is fine and dandy. But the bottom line is win and losses and whether the kids are having a good time! So i guess the record and the attitudes that most of the kids seem to be reflecting speak for themselves. Just one quick question for you sir. Wasnt Jim Tom let go after two years with a better record than coach Kinner?
eastkyfootballfan Wrote:Dedication in the weight room is fine and dandy. But the bottom line is win and losses and whether the kids are having a good time! So i guess the record and the attitudes that most of the kids seem to be reflecting speak for themselves. Just one quick question for you sir. Wasnt Jim Tom let go after two years with a better record than coach Kinner?

If the kids aren't willing to put in the time in the offseason to get stronger and faster, they're not gonna win and have fun. I garauntee you that if Paintsville would have won 7-8 games in the regular season this year, and went farther in the playoffs, they're wouldn't be so many people upset with Kinner. What is it, do the kids just think that because they are the Paintsville Tigers that they should be winnin games? It don't work like that. It takes hard work and dedication, year around.

Yes he was, but I think their records were about the same. I liked coach Allen, I played for coach Allen when he was our defensive coordinator. I like Jason, played with him when I was a freshman and he was a senior.

I do recall the players and parents not likin coach Allen either, same way they don't like Jason now. It's ridiculous. No they shouldn't have been runnin the offense they did this year, I agree with that. But ya gotta suck it up as a player and work harder. If these kids really wanna play football, they will get in the weightroom this winter to better themselves. They gotta have the mindset that they refuse to let anybody out-work them. That's where those losses they had this year will turn into victories next year. Look at Lawrence County, they didn't win a game last year. Now they are gettin ready to take their undefeated record to Bell County to play for the Region Championship. They didn't quit and complain about their coaches, they busted their butts durin the offseason and set goals for themselves.
Redneck Wrote:If the kids aren't willing to put in the time in the offseason to get stronger and faster, they're not gonna win and have fun. I garauntee you that if Paintsville would have won 7-8 games in the regular season this year, and went farther in the playoffs, they're wouldn't be so many people upset with Kinner. What is it, do the kids just think that because they are the Paintsville Tigers that they should be winnin games? It don't work like that. It takes hard work and dedication, year around.

Yes he was, but I think their records were about the same. I liked coach Allen, I played for coach Allen when he was our defensive coordinator. I like Jason, played with him when I was a freshman and he was a senior.

I do recall the players and parents not likin coach Allen either, same way they don't like Jason now. It's ridiculous. No they shouldn't have been runnin the offense they did this year, I agree with that. But ya gotta suck it up as a player and work harder. If these kids really wanna play football, they will get in the weightroom this winter to better themselves. They gotta have the mindset that they refuse to let anybody out-work them. That's where those losses they had this year will turn into victories next year. Look at Lawrence County, they didn't win a game last year. Now they are gettin ready to take their undefeated record to Bell County to play for the Region Championship. They didn't quit and complain about their coaches, they busted their butts durin the offseason and set goals for themselves.

If i recall correctly there were plenty of kids that worked hard all winter in the weight room last winter. So now what kind of excuse do you have now. The fact is its either the coach or the kids and i just wish we could figure out which one so it could get fixed. Im tired of seeing only one football team prosper in this county. Central is finally what they should be and now Paintsville needs to get back to what they used to be. Is Kinner the man to take them there? I dont know but it seems to me like its just seems to get worse and worse except for the year BMR coached. So my real question for you is when did it become good enough for Paintsville to finish 5-6 or 6-5 or whatever and it be good enough. NOT THE PAINTSVILLE I REMEMBER! NOT THE PAINTSVILLE THE KIDS,FANS,OR ALUMNI DESERVE!
eastkyfootballfan Wrote:.... NOT THE PAINTSVILLE I REMEMBER! NOT THE PAINTSVILLE THE KIDS,FANS,OR ALUMNI DESERVE!

As much as I understand the emotion, it's an example of part of the problem. The "we deserve to win!" attitude needs to be controlled before enough patience can be brought to bear to allow the program what it needs most - stability in the coaching staff over enough TIME.

And after that, parents and players MUST put a degree of faith in how the coach goes about his business - not so much with x's and o's (that's for discussing on BGR), but in what he demands of his players.
Redneck Wrote:If the kids aren't willing to put in the time in the offseason to get stronger and faster, they're not gonna win and have fun. I garauntee you that if Paintsville would have won 7-8 games in the regular season this year, and went farther in the playoffs, they're wouldn't be so many people upset with Kinner. What is it, do the kids just think that because they are the Paintsville Tigers that they should be winnin games? It don't work like that. It takes hard work and dedication, year around.

Lawrence has had sucess for a coulple of reasons. Last year the coaching staff went up and down the hallways of the schools getting boys out for the team and off seson workouts. They took a tremendous interest in the youth football program. They kept the parents informed of all practice schedules weeks in advance. And most important the played a confidence building game schedule. Last year nobody wanted to go to Bell this year it is just another game on the LC mission. As a parent Ihave seen a complete transformation of a player that has low self esteem about himself and his team to a player that has physically and mentally developed into a true team player and BELIEVES no one can beat them. This attitude comes from good staff leadership.
eastkyfootballfan Wrote:If i recall correctly there were plenty of kids that worked hard all winter in the weight room last winter. So now what kind of excuse do you have now. The fact is its either the coach or the kids and i just wish we could figure out which one so it could get fixed. Im tired of seeing only one football team prosper in this county. Central is finally what they should be and now Paintsville needs to get back to what they used to be. Is Kinner the man to take them there? I dont know but it seems to me like its just seems to get worse and worse except for the year BMR coached. So my real question for you is when did it become good enough for Paintsville to finish 5-6 or 6-5 or whatever and it be good enough. NOT THE PAINTSVILLE I REMEMBER! NOT THE PAINTSVILLE THE KIDS,FANS,OR ALUMNI DESERVE!

You call 10-12 kids plenty? I know a few of the boys played basketball and couldn't make weightlifting, but what about the others. I'm not makin excuses, from what I've seen and heard, everything I have said are facts. You say things have got worse and worse except the year Coach Runyon was at the helm. You do know that Chuke Williams and Michael Copley are the ones that made that team. They were the reason that group of boys were as big, strong, and fast as they were due to their gruel and demanding offseason workout program, where ALL players HAD to be there. That group of Seniors (Wes Ward, Hans Doderer, Andrew Brown, Adam Smyth, Matt Blevins, Blake LeMaster, Johnny Porter etc.) were Freshmen when I was a Senior (2002). All seven that I mentioned started as Freshmen, we finished the season with a record of 8-4. Pretty good considerin the talent and players we lost to graduation after we won the Region Championship in 2001 (QB Chas Harmon 2,000 yard passer, WR Dustin Hall 1,200+ yard reciever, WR Brandon Gullett, OL Kyle Obrien, OL/DL Matt Runyon, OL/DL Brian Melvin, DE Chuck Hicks, DE Josh Haney, LB Mikie Stafford, LB Josh Conley, DL Jon Salyer), all those guys were starters except Jon Salyer but he played alot, then throw in the fact that we lost returnin RB/DB Tate Harmon (1,000+ yard rusher) to a season ending injury in a preseason scrimmage at Bourbon County.
This issue boils down to one thing, you have to have the players and in numbers to compete! With the decline in the City of Paintsville and the decline in enrollemnt at PHS the players are not there. Given too that PHS is not able to recruit like they used too things do not look that good.

Do not blame your coaches or parents or players, number of good players is the problem.
Number of players is not the problem. The main problem i see is the lack of comitment and support of football in the school system. Redneck hit right on the head when he said that the 2005 team was built by chuke and Copley. These kids need to have someone make them commit and give them an attitude that they once had at Pville. Any chance at getting Copley Back? After the 2004 season the team captions called a meeting with the athletic director (Runyon) and stated that they wanted to raise the bar. Basicly saying they wanted Chuke as there coach. Runyon then says If they want to raise the bar he will be coach. This was what has hurt the Ville. Instead of giving chuke the job and having a long term coach SOMEONES PRIDE got in the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:flush:
I know Pburg is happy Paintsville let Jim Tom go. He brought an exciting offense to a team that was supposed to be rebuilding this year.
Matman Wrote:I know Pburg is happy Paintsville let Jim Tom go. He brought an exciting offense to a team that was supposed to be rebuilding this year.

Daggone right, buddy. Jim Tom and Joe Chirico have been crucial in the success of Prestonsburg this year. Great coaches, great men, and really love the players. Chirico may be the most knowledgeable and enthusiastic coach I have ever been around.
oneijoe Wrote:As much as I understand the emotion, it's an example of part of the problem. The "we deserve to win!" attitude needs to be controlled before enough patience can be brought to bear to allow the program what it needs most - stability in the coaching staff over enough TIME.

And after that, parents and players MUST put a degree of faith in how the coach goes about his business - not so much with x's and o's (that's for discussing on BGR), but in what he demands of his players.

This is not emotion I no longer hold this team close to me heart. However i do consider some of the coaching staff as close friends and i hold all the kids close to my heart. I'm just saying something needs to be done. And i agree with you sometimes that something starts within person.
Redneck Wrote:You call 10-12 kids plenty? I know a few of the boys played basketball and couldn't make weightlifting, but what about the others. I'm not makin excuses, from what I've seen and heard, everything I have said are facts. You say things have got worse and worse except the year [U]Coach Runyon was at the helm. You do know that Chuke Williams and Michael Copley are the ones that made that team[/U]. They were the reason that group of boys were as big, strong, and fast as they were due to their gruel and demanding offseason workout program, where ALL players HAD to be there. That group of Seniors (Wes Ward, Hans Doderer, Andrew Brown, Adam Smyth, Matt Blevins, Blake LeMaster, Johnny Porter etc.) were Freshmen when I was a Senior (2002). All seven that I mentioned started as Freshmen, we finished the season with a record of 8-4. Pretty good considerin the talent and players we lost to graduation after we won the Region Championship in 2001 (QB Chas Harmon 2,000 yard passer, WR Dustin Hall 1,200+ yard reciever, WR Brandon Gullett, OL Kyle Obrien, OL/DL Matt Runyon, OL/DL Brian Melvin, DE Chuck Hicks, DE Josh Haney, LB Mikie Stafford, LB Josh Conley, DL Jon Salyer), all those guys were starters except Jon Salyer but he played alot, then throw in the fact that we lost returnin RB/DB Tate Harmon (1,000+ yard rusher) to a season ending injury in a preseason scrimmage at Bourbon County.
This is very true and this is why the Paintsville football program has struggled. BMR is the major blame for the Paintsville program being the way it is. When Chuke was at LC and used to wear the flip flops and cut off's in the Mid 90's, he was one of the best coaches I've personally seen. Right now Paintsville has a bunch of coaches in the school system who bring nothing at all. From what I've heard we've got coaches in the past that have came to practices and games drinking or under the influence but yet the administration is too scared to do anything about it. I think Paintsville needs to get some pride in their athletic department and get rid of all the people that aren't helping. My kid is two years old but if things aren't changed when he gets up into high school he will be going to P-Burg or JC.
Kiffin Wrote:This is very true and this is why the Paintsville football program has struggled. BMR is the major blame for the Paintsville program being the way it is. When Chuke was at LC and used to wear the flip flops and cut off's in the Mid 90's, he was one of the best coaches I've personally seen. Right now Paintsville has a bunch of coaches in the school system who bring nothing at all. From what I've heard we've got coaches in the past that have came to practices and games drinking or under the influence but yet the administration is too scared to do anything about it. I think Paintsville needs to get some pride in their athletic department and get rid of all the people that aren't helping. My kid is two years old but if things aren't changed when he gets up into high school he will be going to P-Burg or JC.

There is always politics. Standards dont seem to be nearly as high there.:yikes:
MonsterMan Wrote:This issue boils down to one thing, you have to have the players and in numbers to compete! With the decline in the City of Paintsville and the decline in enrollemnt at PHS the players are not there. Given too that PHS is not able to recruit like they used too things do not look that good.

Do not blame your coaches or parents or players, number of good players is the problem.

I agreed with all except this. When has Paintsville ever recruited anybody to come play football for them?
Redneck, i think the main problem with paintsville is we no do not have the economic resources to rebuild our program. such as well paid coaching staffs and top notch facilities. Changes need to be made i think we both agree with this. My question and we can discuss it in pm if u want i what changes would be best. I want success for the program i just dont see it happening the way things re going.
You can have both of'em!
alum_knowitall Wrote:You can have both of'em!

Both Of what? Where did this come from?
I think he was referring to my post about Jim Tom Allen and Joe Chirico. And, yes...we will gladly take them both.
cat86 Wrote:I think he was referring to my post about Jim Tom Allen and Joe Chirico. And, yes...we will gladly take them both.

Love them both! Joe Most INTENSE football coach i know. But a great teacher of the game.
  •  Previous
  • 5(current)
  • Next