Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prestonsburg 2009
Where did Setser and Craynon go to college? Or did they?
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
MisterPerfect Wrote:Where did Setser and Craynon go to college? Or did they?

Both are going to EKU.

Last time I spoke with Seth he said he is going to try and walk-on. I'm pretty sure that Allen is just going to be a student.
MiddlesboroAlumni Wrote:Are you guys sure Prestonsburg will be good enough to have a 7-3 record?

They lost the heart and soul of their team graduating Craynon, Setser, Gearheart, Trout, and others. I don't see how they can replace them with next year's talent. Michael Burchett, Josh Craynon, Austin McKinney, and Joseph Jamerson are the only reliable players returning.

How is the running back situation doing this summer? I really don't see how Setser and Craynon will be replaced. I mean, where is this size? I thought Prestonsburg was small last year. Next season they will be even smaller. I hate to be cirtical, but I just don't see the Blackcats doing much better than .500 next season.

Shelby Valley even came close to beating Prestonsburg last season, so that could be a game to look out for. I understand Shelby Valley has a new coach, but it's just another questionable game in my opinion.

I'll predict a 5-5 finish to the regular season and a district championship.

Once again, good luck to the Blackcats.

I disagree with you here.

Prestonsburg's speed will hurt teams more than people think. There is still size too. Players like Alex Garner will be enough to help win games.

I think a 7-3 record or even better is very possible.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Both are going to EKU.

Last time I spoke with Seth he said he is going to try and walk-on. I'm pretty sure that Allen is just going to be a student.

That's good to hear.

I wish them luck on whatever they do!

outdoorsman43 Wrote:I disagree with you here.

Prestonsburg's speed will hurt teams more than people think. There is still size too. Players like Alex Garner will be enough to help win games.

I think a 7-3 record or even better is very possible.

I agree. Prestonsburg is always a dangerous team, no matter what.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
MiddlesboroAlumni Wrote:Are you guys sure Prestonsburg will be good enough to have a 7-3 record?

They lost the heart and soul of their team graduating Craynon, Setser, Gearheart, Trout, and others. I don't see how they can replace them with next year's talent. Michael Burchett, Josh Craynon, Austin McKinney, and Joseph Jamerson are the only reliable players returning.

How is the running back situation doing this summer? I really don't see how Setser and Craynon will be replaced. I mean, where is this size? I thought Prestonsburg was small last year. Next season they will be even smaller. I hate to be cirtical, but I just don't see the Blackcats doing much better than .500 next season.

Shelby Valley even came close to beating Prestonsburg last season, so that could be a game to look out for. I understand Shelby Valley has a new coach, but it's just another questionable game in my opinion.

I'll predict a 5-5 finish to the regular season and a district championship.

Once again, good luck to the Blackcats.

Only games Prestonsburg has a chance at losing is Belfry, Breathitt County, Sheldon Clark, Matewan (WV), and Shelby Valley. But with the coaching changes and with players possibly quitting at Valley I don't even think Prestonsburg will have to worry about them. I'm not very familiar with Matewan, but they lost 11 players off a team that only fielded 31 according to MaxPreps.com.

Prestonsburg will have a very good passing game this upcoming season. Josh Blackburn has emerged as a very good receiver along with Austin McKinney, but he'll more than likely be our go to back. Joseph Jamerson, Josh Blackburn, Josh Craynon, and probably a few more will become very surprising offensive weapons this year. The defense will be tough like always. Prestonsburg doesn't face anyone that could really hurt them through the air, so they can load up the box against just about every team. Prestonsburg speed will hurt the slower teams like last season also.

Only time will tell, but I do believe that Prestonsburg will win 7-9 games this season and take district.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Only games Prestonsburg has a chance at losing is Belfry, Breathitt County, Sheldon Clark, Matewan (WV), and Shelby Valley. But with the coaching changes and with players possibly quitting at Valley I don't even think Prestonsburg will have to worry about them. I'm not very familiar with Matewan, but they lost 11 players off a team that only fielded 31 according to MaxPreps.com.

Prestonsburg will have a very good passing game this upcoming season. Josh Blackburn has emerged as a very good receiver along with Austin McKinney, but he'll more than likely be our go to back. Joseph Jamerson, Josh Blackburn, Josh Craynon, and probably a few more will become very surprising offensive weapons this year. The defense will be tough like always. Prestonsburg doesn't face anyone that could really hurt them through the air, so they can load up the box against just about every team. Prestonsburg speed will hurt the slower teams like last season also.

Only time will tell, but I do believe that Prestonsburg will win 7-9 games this season and take district.

Well said, BA.
#BBFL
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Only games Prestonsburg has a chance at losing is Belfry, Breathitt County, Sheldon Clark, Matewan (WV), and Shelby Valley. But with the coaching changes and with players possibly quitting at Valley I don't even think Prestonsburg will have to worry about them. I'm not very familiar with Matewan, but they lost 11 players off a team that only fielded 31 according to MaxPreps.com.

Prestonsburg will have a good passing game? When has John DeRossett ever had a passing team? That's not his style and I don't expect him to change his ways of old-school, smash-mouth, up-the-gut running. He will use McKinney, Craynon, Collins, and others to push the ball up the middle. He might use some I-formations like he has in the past. The problem is that the way Coach DeRossett has ran his offense in the past worked fine with players like Matt Slone, Lincoln Slone, Brenton Hamilton, Allen Craynon, Seth Setser, and his other past players. Will it work this season? That is the million dollar question.

Some of you guys are saying that Coach DeRossett is going to run formations liek shotgun and spread this season, I just don't see it being the primary offensive set. I mean, when has Coach John ever used that set consistently? I can't tell you how much I hope the Blackcats do well, but I am a bit skeptical going into the season. We'll just see what happens.
I know the past couple years Pburg has had declining numbers. Does anyone know if their numbers are up this year?
MiddlesboroAlumni Wrote:Prestonsburg will have a good passing game? When has John DeRossett ever had a passing team? That's not his style and I don't expect him to change his ways of old-school, smash-mouth, up-the-gut running. He will use McKinney, Craynon, Collins, and others to push the ball up the middle. He might use some I-formations like he has in the past. The problem is that the way Coach DeRossett has ran his offense in the past worked fine with players like Matt Slone, Lincoln Slone, Brenton Hamilton, Allen Craynon, Seth Setser, and his other past players. Will it work this season? That is the million dollar question.

Some of you guys are saying that Coach DeRossett is going to run formations liek shotgun and spread this season, I just don't see it being the primary offensive set. I mean, when has Coach John ever used that set consistently? I can't tell you how much I hope the Blackcats do well, but I am a bit skeptical going into the season. We'll just see what happens.

Last year Prestonsburg threw the ball more than they probably ever have. Even with Setser & Craynon in the backfield. This year we don't have a real solid weapon in the backfield, but we do have a solid pro-style quarterback that has shown he can make precision passes as he threw for over 15 touchdowns last season. Prestonsburg also has looked better than what may have thought they would in the passing camps. Heck, they even finished 3rd at UK's passing camp behind 6A St. Xavier & 6A Louisville Seneca. That gives me reason to believe that Prestonsburg will look to throw even more this season than last.

We all know that coach John will try to establish a run game first, if they cannot move the ball he will work-in the passing game. Much like Prestonsburg did on occasion last season.

I really think that Josh Blackburn, Josh Craynon, Tyler Hall, and Joseph Jamerson will surprise a lot of folks this year at receiver. Alex Griffith will also be a weapon at tight end, that is if he doesn't play on the line.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Last year Prestonsburg threw the ball more than they probably ever have. Even with Setser & Craynon in the backfield. This year we don't have a real solid weapon in the backfield, but we do have a solid pro-style quarterback that has shown he can make precision passes as he threw for over 15 touchdowns last season. Prestonsburg also has looked better than what may have thought they would in the passing camps. Heck, they even finished 3rd at UK's passing camp behind 6A St. Xavier & 6A Louisville Seneca. That gives me reason to believe that Prestonsburg will look to throw even more this season than last.

We all know that coach John will try to establish a run game first, if they cannot move the ball he will work-in the passing game. Much like Prestonsburg did on occasion last season.

I really think that Josh Blackburn, Josh Craynon, Tyler Hall, and Joseph Jamerson will surprise a lot of folks this year at receiver. Alex Griffith will also be a weapon at tight end, that is if he doesn't play on the line.

Pro-style quarterback? That may be a little far, but Burchett is a fine young player. I agree that Burchett is an accurate pocket quarterback but I just am not going to believe that John DeRossett is going to resort to throwing the football on a consistent basis. I'll believe that when I see it. You may right though. I wasn't aware of how good Prestonsburg had done this summer in their passing camps, thank you for the information BA. I still won't believe DeRossett will throw the ball until I see it.

And as for Tyler Hall, I had no idea he was playing this year. Is he tough enough to come out his senior season and be a real weapon at wide out?

I believe Alex Griffith will be on the line the majority of the time, but should be used as tight-end throughout the season as he did last year.

BA, you really know your stuff and I have enjoyed debating with you. I still haven't changed my opinion, but you very well could be right and I hope you are.
MiddlesboroAlumni Wrote:Pro-style quarterback? That may be a little far, but Burchett is a fine young player. I agree that Burchett is an accurate pocket quarterback but I just am not going to believe that John DeRossett is going to resort to throwing the football on a consistent basis. I'll believe that when I see it. You may right though. I wasn't aware of how good Prestonsburg had done this summer in their passing camps, thank you for the information BA. I still won't believe DeRossett will throw the ball until I see it.

And as for Tyler Hall, I had no idea he was playing this year. Is he tough enough to come out his senior season and be a real weapon at wide out?

I believe Alex Griffith will be on the line the majority of the time, but should be used as tight-end throughout the season as he did last year.

BA, you really know your stuff and I have enjoyed debating with you. I still haven't changed my opinion, but you very well could be right and I hope you are.

I haven't really ever seen Tyler play football before. I know he come out for the team his freshman year, but I don't believe he played after that. Hopefully he'll be a solid football player.

Thank you for you compliment.
Should be a good season.
I think that the Blackcats will struggle offensively, especially on the line. The upcoming players need to dramatically step up their game and help out the team. I think that they will be forced to heavily rely on defense bringing the old quote : "offense wins fans, but defense wins games" back to life
Alex Griffith is currently working at center, and Joseph Jamerson is working at TE. Griffith will be solid, and they have the makings of a nice, big, quick line. They just need experience. Unfortunately, the schedule doesn't allow for any "breaking-in" time, not with Belfry and Breathitt in the opening weeks...If Prestonsburg opens it up, Jamerson may well be uncoverable from the TE position. No way a LB can check him, and he will be 3-5 " taller than any DB's that try to cover...
Griffith at center is excellent. Without a solid center, the is no offense. Now that practice has got going, how is the turnout for the blackcats? Does anybody know numbers and what class. (sr. jr. soph. fr.)?