Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Prestonsburg 2024
Pulling for Pburg to make the big turnaround to where they used to be. I know the landscape has changed in the last couple decades but I would love to see them get back to where they are competing on the big stage every year in EKY. They’ve got a good young coach that has the potential to develop the program and will need to support him in the long run.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DarthVader's post:
  • BlackcatAlum
What’s the names of the sprinters from the track team? Are they playing football. If so Pburg could have some real speed. Beating some solid teams at 7 on 7 can gain some momentum going into the season.
(07-14-2024, 02:15 PM)Upnorth Wrote: What’s the names of the sprinters from the track team? Are they playing football. If so Pburg could have some real speed. Beating some solid teams at 7 on 7 can gain some momentum going into the season.
Dalton Elliott won indoor state 60m & 200m. I believe he finished 2nd in 100m at outdoor. Alex Harris also qualified for state. Bryce Holbrook also ran track and had second fastest 100m & 200m sprints for his class in region.
(07-14-2024, 02:38 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote:
(07-14-2024, 02:15 PM)Upnorth Wrote: What’s the names of the sprinters from the track team? Are they playing football. If so Pburg could have some real speed. Beating some solid teams at 7 on 7 can gain some momentum going into the season.
Dalton Elliott won indoor state 60m & 200m. I believe he finished 2nd in 100m at outdoor. Alex Harris also qualified for state. Bryce Holbrook also ran track and had second fastest 100m & 200m sprints for his class in region.
Pburg should have some speed. Probably why they beat JC at 7 on 7. Cant judge a team by 7 on 7 but it gives you some looks. Pburg might be able to build around that speed. JC might struggle against the pass again this year as well.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Upnorth's post:
  • BlackcatAlum
How are things looking in Prestonsburg? I saw their schedule and they have six or seven winnable games. It will be an interesting game when Prestonsburg and Floyd Central play. Not very often does a father and son coach against each other. Good luck Blackcats!
(07-17-2024, 03:34 PM)Cat Daddy Wrote: How are things looking in Prestonsburg? I saw their schedule and they have six or seven winnable games. It will be an interesting game when Prestonsburg and Floyd Central play. Not very often does a father and son coach against each other. Good luck Blackcats!
Things are very positive and the team is confident. I’d say there’s roughly 35 players out. Give or take a few. I’ve heard more could come out in the coming days and weeks. Hager and his staff held a 3-day camp this week that wrapped up today.

Love the vibes with the team and staff right now.
(07-17-2024, 06:41 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote:
(07-17-2024, 03:34 PM)Cat Daddy Wrote: How are things looking in Prestonsburg? I saw their schedule and they have six or seven winnable games. It will be an interesting game when Prestonsburg and Floyd Central play. Not very often does a father and son coach against each other. Good luck Blackcats!
Things are very positive and the team is confident. I’d say there’s roughly 35 players out. Give or take a few. I’ve heard more could come out in the coming days and weeks. Hager and his staff held a 3-day camp this week that wrapped up today.

I bet they will pick up more when school starts. Enthusiasm is contagious. People want to be a part of positive things.
(07-20-2024, 11:22 AM)Upnorth Wrote:

I bet they will pick up more when school starts. Enthusiasm is contagious. People want to be a part of positive things.
Should players be able to join a team after school starts? They weren’t there during the summer workouts or practices in the heat putting in the time like the current players. If I was a player I don’t think I would like it. Wouldn’t seem fair that I was there all summer while they were enjoying their summer
(07-20-2024, 12:29 PM)pirateforlife Wrote:

Should players be able to join a team after school starts? They weren’t there during the summer workouts or practices in the heat putting in the time like the current players. If I was a player I don’t think I would like it. Wouldn’t seem fair that I was there all summer while they were enjoying their summer
Yes they should. You should always be looking to add players from your halls and grow your team. These aren’t kids that’s going to take a starting spot. Usually it’s kids that are young freshman. Maybe never played before. Probably need alotnof work. Get those kids out and you will get a few that will really help your team as a junior and senior. Also let’s not forget everyone’s situation is different.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Upnorth's post:
  • BlackcatAlum
(07-20-2024, 03:00 PM)Upnorth Wrote:

Yes they should. You should always be looking to add players from your halls and grow your team. These aren’t kids that’s going to take a starting spot. Usually it’s kids that are young freshman. Maybe never played before. Probably need alotnof work. Get those kids out and you will get a few that will really help your team as a junior and senior. Also let’s not forget everyone’s situation is different.
I agree

Prestonsburg also has a lot of guys that play both ways, if you can develop younger guys or add athletes that can come in and make an impact in some form or another and give guys a rest for a series or a few plays then by all means you welcome it. Any small school would.

I think letting kids skip the hard parts and still get the benefit of being a member on the team isn’t right. BUT every situation needs to be looked at differently. The kid who skipped to go to the swimming pool and fish all summer is a different situation as the one who can be transported back and forth during the summer.
(03-01-2024, 12:37 AM)Sportscritic79 Wrote: Prestonsburg is couple years away.
Not sure but only game I see a win is maybe Lewis. Not familiar with them.

ER will surprise you.

MC gets district. Knott runner up.
You think Knott will be runner up theses boys will surprise you they have been working there butts off but we’ll see
I think Knott also is working their butts off! New field!
I’m pretty down on the team this year but there’s no way they lose to Knott. That would be an automatic fire-able offense
How are Knotts numbers. I have heard their down.
They have issues from within. Have to fix that first.
If anyone thinks this isn’t an upgrade at HC you are completely fooling yourself.

Coach Brewer, from all accounts, was a great guy but that offensive scheme was trash. Super easy to defend.

As someone who coached against Brewer and with Hager this is absolutely an upgrade.

Expectations need to be realistic. But you also have to understand what has been inherited. It will take some time but you definitely upgraded your HC.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Cardinals ride's post:
  • Blue_Bird96
(08-05-2024, 01:22 PM)Cardinals ride Wrote: If anyone thinks this isn’t an upgrade at HC you are completely fooling yourself.

Coach Brewer, from all accounts, was a great guy but that offensive scheme was trash. Super easy to defend.

As someone who coached against Brewer and with Hager this is absolutely an upgrade.

Expectations need to be realistic. But you also have to understand what has been inherited. It will take some time but you definitely upgraded your HC.
That’s good to hear. Another guy on Martin County’s staff told me the exact opposite about Hager. Said they were excited he left.
(08-05-2024, 01:22 PM)Cardinals ride Wrote: If anyone thinks this isn’t an upgrade at HC you are completely fooling yourself.

Hager may be an excellent hire but Brandon Brewer is a darn good football coach in the field. Maybe he wasn’t the right fit to be the HC at a place like Pburg (political mess) but you have to understand what HE inherited too- when Brewer was hired how many of the kids had already began their path to winning a ring at Paintsville? 

Not standing for any Brandon Brewer slander. He’s a ball coach.

If Hagar can accomplish what Brewer was able to accomplished in his first three years as a head coach at Powell it will be nothing short of a miracle.
I calling bullcrap on any MC coach being glad he left.

He may be a GREAT guy and maybe you are right. Maybe he sis a great coach. He certainly didn’t demonstrate that at PBirg. He took over a mess and left a mess.

He was super easy to scheme for while he was at PBurg. I can tell you that.
[-] The following 2 users Like Cardinals ride's post:
  • BlackcatPride32, Blue_Bird96
(08-05-2024, 03:46 PM)Cardinals ride Wrote: I calling bullcrap on any MC coach being glad he left.

He may be a GREAT guy and maybe you are right. Maybe he sis a great coach. He certainly didn’t demonstrate that at PBirg. He took over a mess and left a mess.

I can promise you one MC told me to my face that they were glad he left that he was causing internal issues for muncy.
(08-05-2024, 03:46 PM)Cardinals ride Wrote: I calling bullcrap on any MC coach being glad he left.

"Stakeholders" at PBurg are what created a mess. PBurg was 5-6 this season with a real chance at seven wins on a team that consisted of 22 freshman and sophomores out of 34 players. Hagar inherited a young team with a lot of potential based on what returns. If the "stakeholders" can't build off of what foundation Brewer laid its because of the inadequacies of the "stakeholders," Hagar, or both. PBurg was 8-2 last season with everyone wondering why they weren't 12-2 and 5-6 this season with everyone wondering why the weren't 10-2. Not sure what Hagar will do this year but there should be no excuses why they can't build off of what was left.
(08-06-2024, 09:38 AM)Atavus Wrote:

"Stakeholders" at PBurg are what created a mess. PBurg was 5-6 this season with a real chance at seven wins on a team that consisted of 22 freshman and sophomores out of 34 players. Hagar inherited a young team with a lot of potential based on what returns. If the "stakeholders" can't build off of what foundation Brewer laid its because of the inadequacies of the "stakeholders," Hagar, or both. PBurg was 8-2 last season with everyone wondering why they weren't 12-2 and 5-6 this season with everyone wondering why the weren't 10-2. Not sure what Hagar will do this year but there should be no excuses why they can't build off of what was left.
The 8-3 season was a huge let down when the team had a meltdown in the first quarter at middlesboro.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Concerned_Blackcat's post:
  • BlackcatPride32
(07-27-2024, 08:20 AM)Upnorth Wrote: How are Knotts numbers. I have heard their down.

Rumor has it that they only have around 20-25 showing up for practices with several out for vacations and such. They should also gain a few more once school starts. So I am hearing they should be around 30-35. Which will have their numbers up some over last years. Going to be interesting to see how many they actually field.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Atuff1's post:
  • BlackcatAlum
(08-05-2024, 04:44 PM)Concerned_Blackcat Wrote:

I can promise you one MC told me to my face that they were glad he left that he was causing internal issues for muncy.
Whoever told u this was a troll. trust me if it dont work out in pburg he would be welcomed back with open arms. its parents and boosters like you who makes pburg the worst head coaching job in eastern ky. starting rumors u know nothing about. i feel for the kids that want to be there and be a blackcat and wesleys whole staff.
(08-06-2024, 12:18 PM)TE#82 Wrote:
(08-05-2024, 04:44 PM)Concerned_Blackcat Wrote:

Whoever told u this was a troll. trust me if it dont work out in pburg he would be welcomed back with open arms. its parents and boosters like you who makes pburg the worst head coaching job in eastern ky. starting rumors u know nothing about. i feel for the kids that want to be there and be a blackcat and wesleys whole staff.
Agreed TE.
[-] The following 1 user Likes papabear02's post:
  • BlackcatPride32
Hager seems like a great guy and he seems to be trying to do the right things within the program and the community. I didn't know it until a couple of days ago that Brewer didn't involve the feeder programs to attend media day last year. You talk about a program killer! I was happy to hear that Hager allowed all elementary programs to participate this year. I heard he attended the Allen Eagle throwback game and was very impressed with the turnout. These little things go a long way when trying to build a program, and the kids and parents see this and want to be a part of it.

As for this year, Hager is going to have his hands full. He has the skill players to compete, but the inexperience and overall talent up front will be a major concern. I would be very surprised if they finish the year at .500. With all of that coming into play, we still can't judge him off of one year, especially when he has been dealt a bad hand in regards to transfers, and kids leaving which was beyond his control. Prestonsburg has a solid freshman and sophomore class, and with the talent coming up from the middle school the future is bright. The key as I have heard a lot of people around town talking about is keeping all of the talent in Prestonsburg. We all know, the talent has always been here, it's just been hard keeping it over the last ten years or so. Hail Blackcats!
(08-06-2024, 03:31 PM)Blackcat 4 Life Wrote: Hager seems like a great guy and he seems to be trying to do the right things within the program and the community. I didn't know it until a couple of days ago that Brewer didn't involve the feeder programs to attend media day last year. You talk about a program killer! I was happy to hear that Hager allowed all elementary programs to participate this year. I heard he attended the Allen Eagle throwback game and was very impressed with the turnout. These little things go a long way when trying to build a program, and the kids and parents see this and want to be a part of it.

As for this year, Hager is going to have his hands full. He has the skill players to compete, but the inexperience and overall talent up front will be a major concern. I would be very surprised if they finish the year at .500. With all of that coming into play, we still can't judge him off of one year, especially when he has been dealt a bad hand in regards to transfers, and kids leaving which was beyond his control. Prestonsburg has a solid freshman and sophomore class, and with the talent coming up from the middle school the future is bright. The key as I have heard a lot of people around town talking about is keeping all of the talent in Prestonsburg. We all know, the talent has always been here, it's just been hard keeping it over the last ten years or so. Hail Blackcats!
Sounds like everyone is having fun and that's what's important. Hail Blackcats!
IMO pburg has a 2-5 year window to rebuild back to a contender.. got to give wesley and his staff time. I just feel they won't give him the time nessasary to rebuild that program