•  Previous
  • 5(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Powell County Pirates 2008
F.N.L. Wrote:Did you happen to see the schedule played at Estill. They did not beat one quality team, nor a team with a winning record. They were beaten by single A Pineville, and man handled by a very average Breathitt team. They give up 23 pts per game with a veteran team. According to KHSAA Powell give up 28 pts per game. Estill does not play good defense because they don't practice it. You are right about the coaching change, they don't need one if they can keep sceduling teams who do not have a good program or are weak, etc. Bottom line, you are never going to get out of the district doing this..... That is not successful. By the way Estill got better scheduling teams who were not very good, Bourbon longest losing streak in the state, Phelps, Magoffin who got beat by Morgan, Knott Co. Central, Berea, Pinville who was a sure win, but didn't happen because lack of defense, and the district is extremely weak. Estill is as strong and fast as Breathitt, but do not compare on the field. Please do not insult the program at Estill which at one time did not run from anyone and scheduled the the best they could and were successful. You will win also at Powell if you can find weak enough teams. People in Estill who know football and the past of the program are not happy, it is embarrassing to play this type of schedule. I will now lay aside my dagger and get back to work. One more thing before I go, look at Breathitt's schedule, only weak teams they play are in the district. Beat LCA who one the state, beat Prestonsburg. They can't find an easy schedule because people don't want to play them. Guess what they are successful, same coach for years doing the same things he has always done. You don't accomplish this by playing weak teams and not playing defense. Please don't insult Estill County by saying they are successful.

I wouldn't say Breathitt was an average team. They did beat the runner-up in state. They did beat P-burg. And they beat Russell. And Magoffin had a good season this year. And Breathitt was what, one win away from state? So I don't think Breathitt is average.
bluegrassballa Wrote:I wouldn't say Breathitt was an average team. They did beat the runner-up in state. They did beat P-burg. And they beat Russell. And Magoffin had a good season this year. And Breathitt was what, one win away from state? So I don't think Breathitt is average.

I agree breathitt was way too good to be called average
MR.PERFECT Wrote:No need for a coaching change at Estill. They had a solid year.
Powell will get better every year. Estill struggled a few years ago now they're having 9-3 seasons. It will take some time but Powell will get there. SUPPORT is better than ever so no need to talk about NO SUPPORT. The admin. will and does support coach Whitaker. The only thing Powell needs is time. Rich Brooks didn't improve Kentucky in 1 season but in time he did. Estill got better in time and so will Powell. The head coach at Estill does a great job.

If I am not mistaken, Estill has one less than 40 games the past 10 years with three 0-10 teams. What has changed, nothing but the coaching, and now the schedule. Instead of playing and beating Breathitt, Cobin, Boyle Co., Mercer Co., Somerset, Madison Southern, Prestonsburg, etc. We have dwindled to where we are as the one's mentioned stay strong or get stronger. Again, please don't disgrace Estill with those remarks. With the exception of Madison Southern, these teams are still fairly descent I would say. Estill has had more talent since 2003 than in the history of that school IMO.
bobcatfan22 Wrote:I agree breathitt was way too good to be called average

I don't mean all around average. They were an average Breathitt team. They couldn't stay on the field with some of the past teams IMO. I know the coach well and trust his opinion. However, they will be pretty darn strong the next two years.
bluegrassballa Wrote:I wouldn't say Breathitt was an average team. They did beat the runner-up in state. They did beat P-burg. And they beat Russell. And Magoffin had a good season this year. And Breathitt was what, one win away from state? So I don't think Breathitt is average.

Magoffin is haunted by the loss to MORGAN CO. I think that is the only game they won.
F.N.L. Wrote:Magoffin is haunted by the loss to MORGAN CO. I think that is the only game they won.

Replying to my own response. Magoffin was 4 and 5 not counting the forfeit by Evangel Christian which made them 5 and 5. Also, they played a very weak schedule except for Belfry twice and Sheldon Clark. I don't see how you can say they were average.
F.N.L. Wrote:Replying to my own response. Magoffin was 4 and 5 not counting the forfeit by Evangel Christian which made them 5 and 5. Also, they played a very weak schedule except for Belfry twice and Sheldon Clark. I don't see how you can say they were average.

I never once said that Magoffin was average. I said that they had a good season.
bluegrassballa Wrote:I never once said that Magoffin was average. I said that they had a good season.

My mistake. Help me understand how 4-5 or 5-5 with the forfeit is a good season with a week schedule. The evidence does not support the claim.
F.N.L. Wrote:My mistake. Help me understand how 4-5 or 5-5 with the forfeit is a good season with a week schedule. The evidence does not support the claim.

Well, they didn't have a losing record. And to accomplish that, weak schedule or not, is a good season. And as fr the forfeit, its not Magoffins fault that the other team did that. Who knows, they probably would have beaten them anyway.
F.N.L. Wrote:My mistake. Help me understand how 4-5 or 5-5 with the forfeit is a good season with a week schedule. The evidence does not support the claim.

:popcorn:
bluegrassballa Wrote:Well, they didn't have a losing record. And to accomplish that, weak schedule or not, is a good season. And as fr the forfeit, its not Magoffins fault that the other team did that. Who knows, they probably would have beaten them anyway.

I agree, they would have beaten Evangel Christian. They finished 5-6. That is below .500. You can count the forfeit if you want, personally I don't, so basically they were 4-6. Why do you ask that I not count the forfeit, it is simple, Fort Thomas Highlands........1-14 state champions. They had to forfeit all games prior to the championship. Louisville Central was also 5-5, ended up ......... you guessed it state champions 10-5. Brutal regular season schedule, it payed off. That is successful! I am sure they could have played a cup cake schedule which would not have prepared them for what counted.
I dont have an idea how breathitt could possibly even be rates as average...theyre way above average....better than most 3a teams in the state
F.N.L. Wrote:I agree, they would have beaten Evangel Christian. They finished 5-6. That is below .500. You can count the forfeit if you want, personally I don't, so basically they were 4-6. Why do you ask that I not count the forfeit, it is simple, Fort Thomas Highlands........1-14 state champions. They had to forfeit all games prior to the championship. Louisville Central was also 5-5, ended up ......... you guessed it state champions 10-5. Brutal regular season schedule, it payed off. That is successful! I am sure they could have played a cup cake schedule which would not have prepared them for what counted.

Someone likes to hate on teams from the mountains...and for the forfeit...its still a WIN my friend
F.N.L. Wrote:I agree, they would have beaten Evangel Christian. They finished 5-6. That is below .500. You can count the forfeit if you want, personally I don't, so basically they were 4-6. Why do you ask that I not count the forfeit, it is simple, Fort Thomas Highlands........1-14 state champions. They had to forfeit all games prior to the championship. Louisville Central was also 5-5, ended up ......... you guessed it state champions 10-5. Brutal regular season schedule, it payed off. That is successful! I am sure they could have played a cup cake schedule which would not have prepared them for what counted.

I forgot about that playoff loss against Magoffin. It made their record 5-6. Big Grin . They did have a decent season, cupcake or not.
bluegrassballa Wrote:I forgot about that playoff loss against Magoffin. It made their record 5-6. Big Grin . They did have a decent season, cupcake or not.

well said:notworthy
MR.PERFECT Wrote:No need for a coaching change at Estill. They had a solid year.
Powell will get better every year. Estill struggled a few years ago now they're having 9-3 seasons. It will take some time but Powell will get there. SUPPORT is better than ever so no need to talk about NO SUPPORT. The admin. will and does support coach Whitaker. The only thing Powell needs is time. Rich Brooks didn't improve Kentucky in 1 season but in time he did. Estill got better in time and so will Powell. The head coach at Estill does a great job.

Estill should have never struggled in the past few years, never, it shouldn't have been possible. When you go 8-3 lose 5 players and the next year go 3-7 and the next two years 3-17. Please help all of us understand why this happened. Sad
bobcatfan22 Wrote:Someone likes to hate on teams from the mountains...and for the forfeit...its still a WIN my friend

No one is hating on Mountain teams. Some are very tough and well deserving. Just stating reality about other teams. If you haven't noticed this is a Mountain site. Do not see many replies outside of Eastern Ky.
F.N.L. Wrote:No one is hating on Mountain teams. Some are very tough and well deserving. Just stating reality about other teams. If you haven't noticed this is a Mountain site. Do not see many replies outside of Eastern Ky.

Saying breathitt is below average is hating on mountain teams...they beat a very good russell team...proves they are
bobcatfan22 Wrote:Saying breathitt is below average is hating on mountain teams...they beat a very good russell team...proves they are

And they beat LCA(runner-up in the class 1A state title) and P-Burg.
bluegrassballa Wrote:And they beat LCA(runner-up in the class 1A state title) and P-Burg.

True...lol
bluegrassballa Wrote:I forgot about that playoff loss against Magoffin. It made their record 5-6. Big Grin . They did have a decent season, cupcake or not.

The loss was to Belfry. If that is what satisifies you, so be it. I chose to be realistic and leave no room for excuses. 5-6 is a decent record. Again, there were a lot of 4-6 and 5-5 teams in Eastern Ky. who played a lot tougher schedule, which would you rather be?
F.N.L. Wrote:The loss was to Belfry. If that is what satisifies you, so be it. I chose to be realistic and leave no room for excuses. 5-6 is a decent record. Again, there were a lot of 4-6 and 5-5 teams in Eastern Ky. who played a lot tougher schedule, which would you rather be?

Was that loss to Belfry? I didn't remember..lol. There are a lot of teams out there with the same record and a lot tougher schedules. Magoffin did have that record, and a softer schedule. They still went 5-6. To me, that is a good record. Tough schedule or not. Although, I would rather be a 5-6 team that has a tougher schedule.
I agree.....a 5 win season is a good season imo
bobcatfan22 Wrote:True...lol

It has already been stated they beat LCA and Prestonsburg. I know the head coach well and respect what he says. I have seen the Good Breathitt teams, and this years was average compared to them. I did not say anything negative about them. They were young and the next two years should be explosive. Breathitt, Belfry, and Russell will be the top three the next two years in Eastern Ky., not in any specific order.
bluegrassballa Wrote:Was that loss to Belfry? I didn't remember..lol. There are a lot of teams out there with the same record and a lot tougher schedules. Magoffin did have that record, and a softer schedule. They still went 5-6. To me, that is a good record. Tough schedule or not. Although, I would rather be a 5-6 team that has a tougher schedule.

That is all I am trying to get across.
bobcatfan22 Wrote:I agree.....a 5 win season is a good season imo

Are you a Breathitt Bobcat fan saying a 5 win season is good?
F.N.L. Wrote:It has already been stated they beat LCA and Prestonsburg. I know the head coach well and respect what he says. I have seen the Good Breathitt teams, and this years was average compared to them. I did not say anything negative about them. They were young and the next two years should be explosive. Breathitt, Belfry, and Russell will be the top three the next two years in Eastern Ky., not in any specific order.

Well, they might be average to the other Breathitt. And I agree 100%. IMO the best was with Justin Haddix leading them. But comparing them to this year, they were pretty good. What was their final record this year?
F.N.L. Wrote:Are you a Breathitt Bobcat fan saying a 5 win season is good?

Actually i am but at schools like breathitt this wouldnt be a good season at all
bobcatfan22 Wrote:Actually i am but at schools like breathitt this wouldnt be a good season at all

Do you honestly think Coach Holcomb would schedule a cup cake schedule?
F.N.L. Wrote:Do you honestly think Coach Holcomb would schedule a cup cake schedule?

Has he ever scheduled a cupcake schedule? That would be like saying, I will have a 4.0 GPA!! It will never happen..lol
  •  Previous
  • 5(current)
  • Next