•  Previous
  • 5(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Ashland self-reports possible recruiting violation to the KHSAA
(06-10-2022, 08:43 PM)16thregioner Wrote: What are the Boyd supporters hoping the KHSAA does to Mays and/or the Ashland boys basketball program?  Do you want him fired?  Do you want a postseason ban?  What punishment are you seeking?

Does it really matter what people hope for?  I think an honest opinion of what people genuinely think will happen is much more constructive.
It’s Ashland isn’t that enough. Would they be 5 pages of bs if it was say Menifee?
(06-10-2022, 09:39 PM)Ky1976 Wrote: It’s Ashland isn’t that enough.  Would they be 5 pages of bs if it was say Menifee?
Absolutely if Menifee achieved success through cheating and disregarding KHSAA rules and regulations.
Ok…what do you think will happen then? Has a parent ever called and recorded a coach in Kentucky before? Is there any precedent for this to know what to expect? I’ve never heard of anything like it happening before.
(06-10-2022, 07:00 PM)Ky1976 Wrote: Evidence of what talking to a dad who was shopping his son around.  That’s what he is guilty of?  Technically the dude who is guilty is the dad for recording a conversation without the knowledge of the other person talking.
Yessir!  100% correct.  The dad that was trying to trap Mays may have crossed some legal lines.  We shall see.
(06-10-2022, 10:43 PM)16thregioner Wrote: Ok…what do you think will happen then?  Has a parent ever called and recorded a coach in Kentucky before?  Is there any precedent for this to know what to expect?  I’ve never heard of anything like it happening before.
Socrates has had too much hemlock. He’s trying his best to frame Ashland as cheaters that can’t succeed without transfers. He knows it’s BS but he’s like a Flat Earther, he will argue a silly point regardless of the facts and stats. 
Someone transfers into Ashland and regardless of the reason, parents change jobs as with Marcum 2 years ago, or an 8th grader decides he wants to go to Ashland, as with Carter,…..regardless of the legitimacy of the reasons, fellows like Socrates here are such haters of Ashland that they will still say “you’re cheaters”, no matter what. Lol. It’s not true and he knows it, but if he spits and spats than nonsense like that on here enough he feels he may sway a few people. Or maybe it just gives him inner peace. 
According to him Mays never had anything to do with Villers, Sellars, Bradley, Robinson and all the other homegrown players that won the region in ‘19 and one game at state. He never had anything to do with developing Porter, Conley, Atkins, or any of his players in his 4 years at Ashland and 3 other region titles. They just did it on their own, or he was able to get by because in his 4 years so far he has picked up 1 player average per year through transfer, which pales in comparison with other schools around the state. But that, I suppose, put him over the top. 
If I happen to run into Mays I will tell him to take a player development course as soon as possible. ?
[-] The following 1 user Likes LOOKAYANNER's post:
  • Appalachian Cat
(06-10-2022, 11:04 PM)LOOKAYANNER Wrote:
(06-10-2022, 10:43 PM)16thregioner Wrote: Ok…what do you think will happen then?  Has a parent ever called and recorded a coach in Kentucky before?  Is there any precedent for this to know what to expect?  I’ve never heard of anything like it happening before.
Socrates has had too much hemlock. He’s trying his best to frame Ashland as cheaters that can’t succeed without transfers. He knows it’s BS but he’s like a Flat Earther, he will argue a silly point regardless of the facts and stats. 
Someone transfers into Ashland and regardless of the reason, parents change jobs as with Marcum 2 years ago, or an 8th grader decides he wants to go to Ashland, as with Carter,…..regardless of the legitimacy of the reasons, fellows like Socrates here are such haters of Ashland that they will still say “you’re cheaters”, no matter what. Lol. It’s not true and he knows it, but if he spits and spats than nonsense like that on here enough he feels he may sway a few people. Or maybe it just gives him inner peace. 
According to him Mays never had anything to do with Villers, Sellars, Bradley, Robinson and all the other homegrown players that won the region in ‘19 and one game at state. He never had anything to do with developing Porter, Conley, Atkins, or any of his players in his 4 years at Ashland and 3 other region titles. They just did it on their own, or he was able to get by because in his 4 years so far he has picked up 1 player average per year through transfer, which pales in comparison with other schools around the state. But that, I suppose, put him over the top. 
If I happen to run into Mays I will tell him to take a player development course as soon as possible. ?
Really?  Ashland just headlined the sports section of the ADI for SELF REPORTING rules violations and I'm the flat earther for saying they cheated....Think about that a second.  Gotta love that reasonable Ashland fanbase.
(06-10-2022, 11:38 PM)SocratesKy Wrote:
Really?  Ashland just headlined the sports section of the ADI for SELF REPORTING rules violations and I'm the flat earther for saying they cheated....Think about that a second.  Gotta love that reasonable Ashland fanbase.
Socrates, self-reporting is not an admission of wrongdoing or guilt by the school officials. It is basically standard protocol when something like this occurs, in this case a parent calling a school’s coach and secretly recording a conversation that said parent generated. It is saying they are making a report of the incident since the coach did actually talk to the fellow, which I suppose they felt necessary even though they didn’t hear any evidence of wrongdoing. Coach Mays is still coach and is presently running basketball camps this month as well as being one of the coaches for the Kentucky-Indiana All Star games. Basically self-reporting is reviewing and passing it on up the chain for review. It’s standard procedure. Nothing more.
[-] The following 2 users Like LOOKAYANNER's post:
  • Appalachian Cat, Ky1976
KHSAA should suspend the player in questions HS eligibility (all 4 years) if its true the parent baited the coach.
[-] The following 2 users Like plantmanky's post:
  • IAM22, Ky1976
(06-11-2022, 10:22 AM)LOOKAYANNER Wrote:
Socrates, self-reporting is not an admission of wrongdoing or guilt by the school officials. It is basically standard protocol when something like this occurs, in this case a parent calling a school’s coach and secretly recording a conversation that said parent generated. It is saying they are making a report of the incident since the coach did actually talk to the fellow, which I suppose they felt necessary even though they didn’t hear any evidence of wrongdoing. Coach Mays is still coach and is presently running basketball camps this month as well as being one of the coaches for the Kentucky-Indiana All Star games. Basically self-reporting is reviewing and passing it on up the chain for review. It’s standard procedure. Nothing more.

You may convince some Ashland homers that is the case, but outside of that small population you would get laughed out of the room with that explanation.  And you say I am a flat earther, lol.

They self reported violations.  The school itself suspended the coach for games.  This is headline news.  This rarely happens.  KHSAA will review and as always, I would expect the actual penalty for cheating resulting in success to be much harsher.  

Why do I expect a harsh penalty?  If it isn’t a harsh penalty all schools will go all in on recruiting if the penalty was only a few games suspension.  This is what they are defending against. When evaluating a punishment this is how the KHSAA is looking at it.
(06-11-2022, 11:22 AM)SocratesKy Wrote:

You may convince some Ashland homers that is the case, but outside of that small population you would get laughed out of the room with that explanation.  And you say I am a flat earther, lol.

They self reported violations.  The school itself suspended the coach for games.  This is headline news.  This rarely happens.  KHSAA will review and as always, I would expect the actual penalty for cheating resulting in success to be much harsher.  

Why do I expect a harsh penalty?  If it isn’t a harsh penalty all schools will go all in on recruiting if the penalty was only a few games suspension.  This is what they are defending against. When evaluating a punishment this is how the KHSAA is looking at it.
There was no recruiting. A parent called a coach saying he was thinking about transferring his eighth grade son. It’s my understanding the same parent had called other coaches as well, particularly one in the 10th region. He was shopping is son around. Coach Mays answered the call while on vacation in SC and listened to what the man had to say and then they chatted for a while. I suppose the game suspensions from school administrators is simply a message to not allow himself to get baited into a conversation with a parent again, I don’t know. But other than that the school didn’t hear anything that would cause them to have to do anything more as punishment. Bottom line is he did not recruit in this situation, he does not recruit players in any situation. If someone wants to transfer on their own decision I suppose they can get into most schools, not just Ashland. But that’s not recruiting. I’m not saying it doesn’t happen around the state but Coach Mays does not do it.
  • Ky1976

Actually it happens all the time.  Parent contacts coach of another school and they talk.  What don’t happen is parent records the conversation and then turns Coach in to the administration of parents school.
(06-11-2022, 11:58 AM)Ky1976 Wrote:
(06-10-2022, 11:04 PM)LOOKAYANNER Wrote: Socrates has had too much hemlock. He’s trying his best to frame Ashland as cheaters that can’t succeed without transfers. He knows it’s BS but he’s like a Flat Earther, he will argue a silly point regardless of the facts and stats. 

Actually it happens all the time.  Parent contacts coach of another school and they talk.  What don’t happen is parent records the conversation and then turns Coach in to the administration of parents school.
Tell KHSAA enforcement that and let’s see how far that gets you.
Tell KHSAA enforcement that? They already know what happens in everyday life. And yes it happens everywhere. I’m telling you the thing that don’t happen is that a parent at Boyd co has recorded a conversation with Coach at Ashland without the coach of Ashland knowing. I think someone on here has even said that the parent was a coward for doing that. Either way Boyd parent is at fault.

Punishment was set forth by Ashland’s superintendent and Boyd’s administration has agreed that they will be nothing else to come out of it.

Get over your feeling to bring harm to Ashland and coach mays
(06-11-2022, 01:19 PM)Ky1976 Wrote: Tell KHSAA enforcement that?  They already know what happens in everyday life.  And yes it happens everywhere.  I’m telling you the thing that don’t happen is that a parent at Boyd co has recorded a conversation with Coach at Ashland without the coach of Ashland knowing.  I think someone on here has even said that the parent was a coward for doing that.  Either way Boyd parent is at fault. 

Punishment was set forth by Ashland’s superintendent and Boyd’s administration has agreed that they will be nothing else to come out of it. 

Get over your feeling to bring harm to Ashland and coach mays
I wish no harm to anyone, but I’m entitled to my opinion just as you are as an Ashland fan.  My opinion is that Ashlands punishment from the KHSAA will but much harsher than the school has set forth.  I have explained the reasons I think this way.  I’m sorry it bothers you that you disagree but you are entitled to that opinion as well.
Consider this; a few months ago in an interview on Mytowntv Ashland's best player said that Coach Mays planted the idea of reclassifying as a senior. He said he initially thought it was crazy but after praying about it over time he changed his mind. Coach Mays and the counselors at the high school made it happen. Seems to me that if a coach was truly so obsessed with winning by recruiting top level players that he wouldn't encourage his best player to leave.
[-] The following 3 users Like i82much's post:
  • Appalachian Cat, Ky1976, LOOKAYANNER
(06-11-2022, 02:01 PM)i82much Wrote: Consider this; a few months ago in an interview on Mytowntv Ashland's best player said that Coach Mays planted the idea of reclassifying as a senior. He said he initially thought it was crazy but after praying about it over time he changed his mind. Coach Mays and the counselors at the high school made it happen. Seems to me that if a coach was truly so obsessed with winning by recruiting top level players that he wouldn't encourage his best player to leave.
A person makes a statement that he/she knows is going public compared to what people do or say behind closed doors (I.e. like a conversation between two people over phone) is a different ballgame.  Politicians always make inspiring public statements, but don’t always make the most ethical decisions behind closed doors.
I guess my point is this is irrelevant if the recording spells out recruitment.

(06-11-2022, 02:11 PM)SocratesKy Wrote:
(06-11-2022, 02:01 PM)i82much Wrote: Consider this; a few months ago in an interview on Mytowntv Ashland's best player said that Coach Mays planted the idea of reclassifying as a senior. He said he initially thought it was crazy but after praying about it over time he changed his mind. Coach Mays and the counselors at the high school made it happen. Seems to me that if a coach was truly so obsessed with winning by recruiting top level players that he wouldn't encourage his best player to leave.
A person makes a statement that he/she knows is going public compared to what people do or say behind closed doors (I.e. like a conversation between two people over phone) is a different ballgame.  Politicians always make inspiring public statements, but don’t always make the most ethical decisions behind closed doors.
I'm not even saying the coach is a bad guy.  This thread is about recruiting violations.  All good people sometimes do things that they should not, and I believe in forgiveness.  That is irrelevant to KHSAA enforcement.
Funny to me how none of the Ashland supporters will admit that (whether baited or not) that Coach Mays was dumb enough to make comments and say things that were OBVIOUSLY enough to force the school to self report. They want to focus on who called who, and saying Coach Mays did nothing wrong. You think the administration at Ashland would self report if Coach Mays did nothing wrong in this conversation? How about be smart enough to hang up the phone when you know where the conversation is going. Play with fire, get burned.

I'm not even saying the coach is a bad guy.  This thread is about recruiting violations.  All good people sometimes do things that they should not, and I believe in forgiveness.  That is irrelevant to KHSAA enforcement.

(06-11-2022, 05:57 PM)Fanman Wrote: Funny to me how none of the Ashland supporters will admit that (whether baited or not) that Coach Mays was dumb enough to make comments and say things that were OBVIOUSLY enough to force the school to self report. They want to focus on who called who, and saying Coach Mays did nothing wrong. You think the administration at Ashland would self report if Coach Mays did nothing wrong in this conversation?  How about be smart enough to hang up the phone when you know where the conversation is going.  Play with fire, get burned.
Yes, they would self report the incident and still judge that he didn’t do anything more wrong than talking to a caller, in this case a baiter. That’s pretty standard policy in these situations. His mistake was talking to the caller but there’s not any violations involved. Ashland has reviewed the recording and Coach Mays is moving on with the Tomcats summer schedule. As much as a few of you would like to paint a different picture, well….it ain’t happening.
(06-11-2022, 06:24 PM)LOOKAYANNER Wrote:

(06-11-2022, 05:57 PM)Fanman Wrote: Funny to me how none of the Ashland supporters will admit that (whether baited or not) that Coach Mays was dumb enough to make comments and say things that were OBVIOUSLY enough to force the school to self report. They want to focus on who called who, and saying Coach Mays did nothing wrong. You think the administration at Ashland would self report if Coach Mays did nothing wrong in this conversation?  How about be smart enough to hang up the phone when you know where the conversation is going.  Play with fire, get burned.
Yes, they would self report the incident and still judge that he didn’t do anything more wrong than talking to a caller, in this case a baiter. That’s pretty standard policy in these situations. His mistake was talking to the caller but there’s not any violations involved. Ashland has reviewed the recording and Coach Mays is moving on with the Tomcats summer schedule. As much as a few of you would like to paint a different picture, well….it ain’t happening.

Keep telling yourself that stuff.  Nobody’s outside of Ashland thinks that make any sense whatsoever.  Good luck to you guys anyway.

(06-11-2022, 02:11 PM)I.E. Without a person knowledge of it being recorded is a criminal act.  All that some on here are saying is Coach Mays is recruiting,  I don’t believe I would call it recruiting, but you can and that’s fine. At the end of the day the said parent at Boyd whose son was a 8th grader at the time has called Coach Jason Mays and Coach Josh Cook (State Champs 2022) so looks to me like and I’m an outsider the dad intended to take his kid to a very good school with great coaches.  Here is a question if it’s good at Boyd why call either Coach? Wrote:
Forgiveness of what?  Answering the phone from a lunatic dad?
(06-11-2022, 08:06 PM)Ky1976 Wrote:

(06-11-2022, 02:11 PM)I.E. Without a person knowledge of it being recorded is a criminal act.  All that some on here are saying is Coach Mays is recruiting,  I don’t believe I would call it recruiting, but you can and that’s fine. At the end of the day the said parent at Boyd whose son was a 8th grader at the time has called Coach Jason Mays and Coach Josh Cook (State Champs 2022) so looks to me like and I’m an outsider the dad intended to take his kid to a very good school with great coaches.  Here is a question if it’s good at Boyd why call either Coach? Wrote:
Forgiveness of what?  Answering the phone from a lunatic dad?
Oh my, I give up, don’t listen to me.  I’m sure KHSAA enforcement will explain it to your school shortly, but even then it won’t register with much of the Ashland fan base.
SocratesKY and Fanman! One is the Coward and one is his bestie! These 2 are way to far in their feelings about this! It is way to personal for them. Lol
[-] The following 1 user Likes Appalachian Cat's post:
  • Ky1976
(06-12-2022, 12:10 AM)Appalachian Cat Wrote: SocratesKY and Fanman!  One is the Coward and one is his bestie!  These 2 are way to far in their feelings about this!  It is way to personal for them.  Lol

Mature response. I guess anyone that disagrees with you gets labeled as it being personal to them. Fact check.....its not Lol
(06-12-2022, 12:10 AM)Appalachian Cat Wrote: SocratesKY and Fanman!  One is the Coward and one is his bestie!  These 2 are way to far in their feelings about this!  It is way to personal for them.  Lol
You nailed it, lol.
  • Ky1976
(06-12-2022, 05:32 PM)LOOKAYANNER Wrote:
You nailed it, lol.

At least Boyd County isn’t a long drive for you Ashland homers to drive to watch some basketball if your program gets shut down.
You have lost your mind if you think they will shut anything down. It will be the same results as last year. 3-0 Ashland. And that’s the reason for 5 pages of non sense, dad said if you can’t beat them join them problem was this dad didn’t hear what he wanted so he recorded himself talking to one of the TOP 5 coaches in the state. As far as we know he didn’t record conversation with Coach Josh cook state champs wonder why, obvious reason was it’s along way to Winchester from Boyd and they don’t have to beat GRC to get to sweet 16.
(06-10-2022, 09:43 PM)SocratesKy Wrote:
(06-10-2022, 09:39 PM)Ky1976 Wrote: It’s Ashland isn’t that enough.  Would they be 5 pages of bs if it was say Menifee?
Absolutely if Menifee achieved success through cheating and disregarding KHSAA rules and regulations.

Yes, see Cordia a few years back.
(06-13-2022, 02:08 PM)jamesclay Wrote:
(06-10-2022, 09:43 PM)SocratesKy Wrote:

Yes, see Cordia a few years back.
That’s not what has supposedly happened at Ashland n Boyd.
(06-11-2022, 10:43 AM)plantmanky Wrote: KHSAA should suspend the player in questions HS eligibility (all 4 years) if its true the parent baited the coach.
Sure let’s punish the kid. It’s all that 8th graders fault. Get real

I would love to see Assland get caught up in everything they’ve done illegally. In this case it seems the parent went looking for trouble. The people on here crying about Assland cheating probably has kids playing at Boyd and can’t handle the fact that they will never win the district
[-] The following 1 user Likes RAMDAD50's post:
  • Ky1976
  •  Previous
  • 5(current)
  • Next