•  Previous
  • 5(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Little League All-Star Tournament
By the way fun game to watch, great pitching by both teams. Hated to see one loose.
Belfry Wins Wrote:I wouldn't say that man. They won and congrats they outplayed Belfry, but they are 1-1 against each other, same pitchers and everything this past Saturday and it was 15-2 Belfry. So I mean it was a good win and that is the way baseball is it's a funny game. A ton of upsets happen and this was one of them.

What I was talking about was the spacing between the teams. Great game to watch.
First off, congrats to ALL teams who advanced. Good luck!!!

Belfry Wins may be able to help me with this but.... here are a little stats from the 11-12 Belfry kids:

IN all 4 games they played:
They allowed 4 runs and scored 61....
going into the last game they had 30 out of 39 K's. (not sure how many strike outs Jared had against P'ville....
They hit 7 homers.....

All together, Belfry had a wonderful year and a great bunch of kids. Good Job boys... you worked hard!!! BTW..... I can only imagine what the 13-14 year olds will be like next year!!! Smile
What time does Neon play Paintsville and in all honesty, does Neon stand a chance?
The Guru Wrote:It was just the opposit last year as LL had lots of talent and Ripken was not as strong.
. Both leauges have talent though. Good luck to all.
I will still stand behind Little League as the best youth baseball program in the world.
You are insane, by the end of the year PLL all star team could not have beaten one regular season team of the Cal Ripken 11-12 league.Rolleyes
PLAYBOY5 Wrote:What time does Neon play Paintsville and in all honesty, does Neon stand a chance?

Neon actually has a good hitting team and with their left hander up to pitch today...... ya never know!!!
Congrats Paintsville 9/10's!
Ring'Em Up Wrote:it good i guess that we have both, even tho the talent is SOMEWHAT split up. gives alot of kids more playing time they wouldnt get if there was only one league.

also, Guru, what you think of maybe like after state competition and everything is wrapped up, of playing like a home/home series in each division between PLL and JC Ripken? maybe take like a fri/sat? would be PLENTY of interest in it i think, especially from fans and parents. would also be a nice fundraiser for both teams, i think.
why dont ya pitch that idea to some of your contacts over there and see what their thoughts are.
also, wish the 13/14's good luck at state for me. still a pretty good group of kids there, depsite the split.

Nice idea Ring'Em Up. I know I would pay to see that and you know how tight I am. Maybe we could use some of the money and bring in outside umpires so that noboby would cry foul.:thumpsup:
Nobody is crying foul from Belfry. We had Tommy Hutton behind the plate and IMO you can't get any more impartial!! He is great!! I do have several other things running thru my head though..... LOLOL... NOT due to umpiring though...
Just keep us updated as the game is played if someone doesn't care! Is it going to be on the radio somewhere?
Eagle Pride 90` Wrote:You are insane, by the end of the year PLL all star team could not have beaten one regular season team of the Cal Ripken 11-12 league.Rolleyes
And you are calling me insane??? Smile

I stated that it was my oppinion. I watched several games from both leagues, I didn't and don't have a kid involved with eith league and was trying to be unbiased.
You kid was one of the stronger players in CRL. And I wasn't trying to take anything away from him. It was just my opinion that last year he was in a weaker league. This year, even though I have not seen any CRL games, I think it might be different.
Again it is just my opinion but I feel as though in a couple of years (maybe sooner) Paintsville LL will benifit greatly from this.
phs1986 Wrote:Nobody is crying foul from Belfry. We had Tommy Hutton behind the plate and IMO you can't get any more impartial!! He is great!! I do have several other things running thru my head though..... LOLOL... NOT due to umpiring though...

Well, Tommy....just cost Paintsville the game today on a VERY, VERY OBVIOUS blown call. The left fielder for Neon was standing at least 6 feet inside the left field line when he attempted to catch a fly ball and the ball went off his glove and was knocked foul. If the player lets the ball fall it is still fair. Tommy called the ball foul. Every person at the complex knew it was fair and was in aaww at the call. Even the players and coaches from Neon knew it was a fair ball, cause they were throwing it all over the field trying to throw the batter out who ended up scoring what would have been the game winning run.Sorry, Tommy. But, you flat out missed that one.:eek:
The Guru Wrote:And you are calling me insane??? Smile

I stated that it was my oppinion. I watched several games from both leagues, I didn't and don't have a kid involved with eith league and was trying to be unbiased.
You kid was one of the stronger players in CRL. And I wasn't trying to take anything away from him. It was just my opinion that last year he was in a weaker league. This year, even though I have not seen any CRL games, I think it might be different.
Again it is just my opinion but I feel as though in a couple of years (maybe sooner) Paintsville LL will benifit greatly from this.

Well, I can honestly say that if PLL 9/10s faced the pitching that I saw JC face today at the CRL Championship Game. The PLL 9/10s would have one. Yes, JC has a good team. But, if that is all the pitching they seen. I saw at least 10 pitchers in the LL Tourney that throwed twice as hard or harder than what JC faced today.
PLAYBOY5 Wrote:Just keep us updated as the game is played if someone doesn't care! Is it going to be on the radio somewhere?
Paintsville 9-10s over Phelps 15-1 in 4 innings.
Neon's 11-12s over Paintsville 2-1 in 8 innings. Great game!!!
Congrats to both teams advancing.
in the 11/12s game Paintsville was down 1-0 bottom of 6th, runner on 3rd no outs. Shallow fly ball to left, hits off the LFs glove and goes toward the fence down the left field line, runner on third scores, and Neon throws the ball away trying to get the kid at second advancing him to third with still no one out!!! Wrong....The home plate umpire calls everything dead saying it was a foul ball!!! The left fielder was 4-5 feet in fair territory when the ball careened off his glove and into foul ground. The batter then struck out but Tanner Carroll drove the tying and what should have been winning run in to send the game to extra innings. the real sad thing is that the 3rd base umpire was within 15 feet of the play down the line and it happened in fair ground and he allowed the home plate ump make this rediculous call.
But as my son said, Paintsville had their chances in both extra inning at bats and didn't get it done.
Congrats Neon and Good Luck.
The Guru Wrote:Paintsville 9-10s over Phelps 15-1 in 4 innings.
Neon's 11-12s over Paintsville 2-1 in 8 innings. Great game!!!
Congrats to both teams advancing.
in the 11/12s game Paintsville was down 1-0 bottom of 6th, runner on 3rd no outs. Shallow fly ball to left, hits off the LFs glove and goes toward the fence down the left field line, runner on third scores, and Neon throws the ball away trying to get the kid at second advancing him to third with still no one out!!! Wrong....The home plate umpire calls everything dead saying it was a foul ball!!! The left fielder was 4-5 feet in fair territory when the ball careened off his glove and into foul ground. The batter then struck out but Tanner Carroll drove the tying and what should have been winning run in to send the game to extra innings. the real sad thing is that the 3rd base umpire was within 15 feet of the play down the line and it happened in fair ground and he allowed the home plate ump make this rediculous call.
But as my son said, Paintsville had their chances in both extra inning at bats and didn't get it done.
Congrats Neon and Good Luck.

You are right. They did have their chances. Just hate to see one blown like that though in that type of game.
OffTheHook Wrote:You are right. They did have their chances. Just hate to see one blown like that though in that type of game.
That is why you have to keep playing and get past blown calls. Funny how it was my 16 yr old that pointed that out to me!!! LOL

I was more disappointed in the ump after the game when a parent told him "Good call out there....real good call" and sure he was being sarcastic but he wasn't yelling or anything and actually, if you dindn't know better, you would have thought he was being sincere. The ump just looked at him and said, "Go to hell". At first, I thought he just blew the call, but his remark makes me wonder!
The Guru Wrote:That is why you have to keep playing and get past blown calls. Funny how it was my 16 yr old that pointed that out to me!!! LOL

I was more disappointed in the ump after the game when a parent told him "Good call out there....real good call" and sure he was being sarcastic but he wasn't yelling or anything and actually, if you dindn't know better, you would have thought he was being sincere. The ump just looked at him and said, "Go to hell". At first, I thought he just blew the call, but his remark makes me wonder!

That isn't the only thing the ump said to him.. lol. Why was he behind the plate anyway? Isn't he from around Neon?
Here we go, typical blaming umpires BS! So Neon advances to the state?
It is baseball and it happens! Never should have been in that situation anyways! The way it has been at Neon's little league for the past 6-7 years is that if you sign up for Little League, then you make it! So that means that 12-14 kids sign up and goes. I have heard that Paintsville has around 200 kids eligible for the 11-12 year old All Stars and even fields an 11 year old All Star team sometimes. And bickering over a " Missed Call" Sounds like to me that you can't accept defeat when your "All Stars" lost WHEN THEY NEVER SHOULD! BIG CONGRATS NEON!
was a tough deal there for paintsville. but the majority of the grief should be focused on the 3rd base umpire, so let up jus a little on hutton. hehe. at 3rd, he should have made his call and MADE tommy accept it. once that ball passed 3rd base, tommy, umpire in chief or not, shouldnt have had any more right to make that call than i did, and i was top row of the bleachers, debating whether or not to pound a bar-b-q sandwich down or not!! 3rd base umpire should have stood his ground even amid all the confusion . woulda been LOTS better to go dead, talk it out, and place the runners where they should have been. jus trying help hutton's side out a little bit...if thats possible!!!
anyway, thats jus my take on the whole deal. great job Paintsville, dont let sumthin like that get ya guys down.
PLAYBOY5 Wrote:It is baseball and it happens! Never should have been in that situation anyways! The way it has been at Neon's little league for the past 6-7 years is that if you sign up for Little League, then you make it! So that means that 12-14 kids sign up and goes. I have heard that Paintsville has around 200 kids eligible for the 11-12 year old All Stars and even fields an 11 year old All Star team sometimes. And bickering over a " Missed Call" Sounds like to me that you can't accept defeat when your "All Stars" lost WHEN THEY NEVER SHOULD! BIG CONGRATS NEON!

dang, better schedule a trip to the doctor!! hahaha
what was it this year, offthe hook? around 70 or so? i not sure, jus wondering
OffTheHook Wrote:Well, I can honestly say that if PLL 9/10s faced the pitching that I saw JC face today at the CRL Championship Game. The PLL 9/10s would have one. Yes, JC has a good team. But, if that is all the pitching they seen. I saw at least 10 pitchers in the LL Tourney that throwed twice as hard or harder than what JC faced today.

yeah, i agree with ya on that point, hook, at least for the 1st inning. and i think i still saw ya up on the hill later in the game. as i heard MANY times this week, whoever had the chance just to get to today's finals against JC, would do all the had to get there. that left them a little weak in the pitching dept. for today, but even some of their coaches themselves admitting 2nd place would be all they would expect after seeing JC this week.

can i ask ya what ya thought about #22 throwing today for JC? i think 65-66 mph CONSISTENTLY in the zone was pretty nice.
OffTheHook Wrote:Well, Tommy....just cost Paintsville the game today on a VERY, VERY OBVIOUS blown call. The left fielder for Neon was standing at least 6 feet inside the left field line when he attempted to catch a fly ball and the ball went off his glove and was knocked foul. If the player lets the ball fall it is still fair. Tommy called the ball foul. Every person at the complex knew it was fair and was in aaww at the call. Even the players and coaches from Neon knew it was a fair ball, cause they were throwing it all over the field trying to throw the batter out who ended up scoring what would have been the game winning run.Sorry, Tommy. But, you flat out missed that one.:eek:
Kinda ironic Tommy misses a call that benefits Neon, considering he is from Neon.
PLAYBOY5 Wrote:It is baseball and it happens! Never should have been in that situation anyways! The way it has been at Neon's little league for the past 6-7 years is that if you sign up for Little League, then you make it! So that means that 12-14 kids sign up and goes. I have heard that Paintsville has around 200 kids eligible for the 11-12 year old All Stars and even fields an 11 year old All Star team sometimes. And bickering over a " Missed Call" Sounds like to me that you can't accept defeat when your "All Stars" lost WHEN THEY NEVER SHOULD! BIG CONGRATS NEON!

May have been that way "Pre Cal Ripken", however, this year they had 4 teams 9-12 years of age. That would be about 24 kids eligible for 11-12 year old all stars.
Ya know, I hate it for the kids at Paintsville especially one in particular BUT I have to say congrats to Neon. As far as Mr. Hutton being from Neon..... I think he is BUT I can honestly say that I have been in Paintsville for 3 years now and I have never seen him be anything but fair to the kids who are on the field.

NOW, I know this is probably going to draw some criticism BUT I have to get this off my chest. I feel it's HIGH TIME to get the tournament OUT of Paintsville. I know it rained in Paintsville and they delayed the games BUT it did NOT rain that evening. I know because we had a parent who was in Louisa and went to the field and it was in GREAT shape according to them. They were unaware that the games had been cancelled as we were not able to get in touch with them. My question when they called was: "Is there a lot of water in the outfield down the 3rd baseline?".... Her reply.... Not a drop!! The field looks great! So, all in all I guess things have been run the way they NEED TO BE RUN for certain teams. I will still stand by Belfry's 11-12 team. How many teams can say they played 4 games and allowed 4 runs? How many teams can say they recorded a total of 46K's in 4 games? IMO... Not many!!!! Sorry if I have offended anyone but I just felt as if I needed to get this out of my head and off my chest!!
Couple of thoughts. This is a Little League thread and not Cal Ripken.

As for the call, it appeared clearly to be wrong and if so, effected the game and not whining, but as someone said "part of the game", yes and it's over.

As for the players and totals, it means nothing. If there is 20 or 200, it's about quality, learning the game, working together and not following a school systems idea, to hurt a league. Anyone with a memory, knew almost all of the players played and most of the adults coached, except the ones who still run around and try to stir up trouble. Parents and players choose where they play, so to those players in PLL, that are in our league, I say well done. The 9/10's dismantled a good Phelps team today 15-1, in 4 innings and along with the Jr League team, makes 20 consecutive years a PLL team has advanced to a State Tournament. Not bad, for a program began in 1953 and still going.

As for the Tournament in Paintsville. It's been there for years and the big reason, is the volunteers, facilities and willingness to host. PLL like other LL programs, have wonderful people and for anyone to suggest, the game was canceled for the wrong reason, is an insult to those who help and is laughable. I live 1 mile from the field and I guess the previous day downpour and that mornings rain, were nothing. Games are canceled, with adequate time to contact those playing.
:popcorn:

seemed like things went smooth again all week this year. unless someone else really makes a push for it, i dont see it going anywhere anytime soon.
p.s. i'm not banned from this thread jus because of my avatar am i?
Ring'Em Up Wrote:yeah, i agree with ya on that point, hook, at least for the 1st inning. and i think i still saw ya up on the hill later in the game. as i heard MANY times this week, whoever had the chance just to get to today's finals against JC, would do all the had to get there. that left them a little weak in the pitching dept. for today, but even some of their coaches themselves admitting 2nd place would be all they would expect after seeing JC this week.

can i ask ya what ya thought about #22 throwing today for JC? i think 65-66 mph CONSISTENTLY in the zone was pretty nice.

What time I was watching him he was throwing the ball rather well. Def. in the low to mid 60s. The shot that Bo hit was a monster.
where you guys go for 13/14's? 9/10 to owensboro?
good luck wherever. haha
[quote=Pupaw]Couple of thoughts. This is a Little League thread and not Cal Ripken.

As for the call, it appeared clearly to be wrong and if so, effected the game and not whining, but as someone said "part of the game", yes and it's over.

As for the players and totals, it means nothing. If there is 20 or 200, it's about quality, learning the game, working together and not following a school systems idea, to hurt a league. Anyone with a memory, knew almost all of the players played and most of the adults coached, except the ones who still run around and try to stir up trouble. Parents and players choose where they play, so to those players in PLL, that are in our league, I say well done. The 9/10's dismantled a good Phelps team today 15-1, in 4 innings and along with the Jr League team, makes 20 consecutive years a PLL team has advanced to a State Tournament. Not bad, for a program began in 1953 and still going.

As for the Tournament in Paintsville. It's been there for years and the big reason, is the volunteers, facilities and willingness to host. PLL like other LL programs, have wonderful people and for anyone to suggest, the game was canceled for the wrong reason, is an insult to those who help and is laughable. I live 1 mile from the field and I guess the previous day downpour and that mornings rain, were nothing. Games are canceled, with adequate time to contact those playing.[/quote]

I agree with you on PART of this. Granted, PLL has volunteers out the ying yang who BTW, I found out the majority of them get paid to "volunteer".... NOT all of them... MOST of them.... There are PLENTY of other places that have adequate facilities to host this type of tournament. I just feel to keep down the stigmatism of " You can't win at Paintsville" that it should be moved to another area and let Painstville (or any other team) prove that they can do it elsewhere. I have seen Paintsville's field when the outfield down the 3rd baseline was basically flooded... LITERALLY.... Granted, you can not play on a field in that type of shape BUT.... to be totally honest, I was told before the game EXACTLY what was going to happen!! In the case of a "rainout" it should be that the pitching stay frozen and ONLY the pitchers who are eligable (minus the cancellation day) be able to pitch. There are many different opinions on this but mine is only one. Like I said earlier, I apolgize if I am stepping on toes here but I have sat back and listened to talk for years. I have had a child in little league for over 10 years so I think maybe moving the tournament might be a good idea.... NOT only for everyone else but Paintsville too!! It might just tame down some of the talk about "home cookin".....
  •  Previous
  • 5(current)
  • Next