•  Previous
  • 5(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belfry @ Cabell-Midland 10/02
AtlPirateFan Wrote:The last I remember was mid 90s maybe, they traveled to Matewan. I remember going to the game at Matewan with my dad. This may have even been early 90s before 0304 was born.

In the early 90's Belfry participated in the "Matewan National Bank Kickoff Classic" which was a pre-season event and it was actually usually Greenup County that Belfry played over at Tiger Stadium.

However, I do recall a good Matewan team and a good Pikeville team squaring off in this same event, with Pikeville winning 28-0.

Do I think the best teams in Kentucky would own the best teams in WV, yes I do... but I also look at this as if WV had the same class system as KY, Belfry is playing the #1 team in class AAAAAA. Also with the WV football is a lot weaker argument, does anyone else recall Prestonsburg beating Belfry a few years ago and then needing a comeback overtime win over Matewan when they visited Prestonsburg?
I really think if every single Belfry poster put him on their ignore list, he would tire of being the lame human he is and give up. He feeds off responses.
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:And the school bus was rocked before it could get out of the HS parking lot. In fact...we had a couple of kids hurt due to post game fight if I'm not mistaken.

Are you sure you weren't playing in Harlan County??
:eyeroll:

PaytoPlay Wrote:I really think if every single Belfry poster put him on their ignore list, he would tire of being the lame human he is and give up. He feeds off responses.

This is an excellent idea!!
PaytoPlay Wrote:I really think if every single Belfry poster put him on their ignore list, he would tire of being the lame human he is and give up. He feeds off responses.

Did it a year ago, along with a couple others. Life is sweet.
[quote=Granny Bear]Are you sure you weren't playing in Harlan County??
:eyeroll:

You're not insinuating this kind of thing goes on in Harlan Co are you? This definitely occurred at Man, WV. Coach Haywood vowed to never go back.....
WideRight05 Wrote:Pjdoug is giving me a run for my money when it comes to trolling Belfry.

Difference between trolling Belfry and calling EKU, who you know very well is very knowledgeable about Ky football lame!
pjdoug Wrote:being arrogant and typing a page full of BS doesn't make you intelligent.it makes you a :lame: a$$. wipe the brown off your nose with the cottonelle.

No, but being knowledgeable and contributing to the threads at hand does, but if it wasn't for the smilies you would be a complete idiot because that is about all you add to thread besides the insults. Again, you are a dumba$$ and :lame:
Pirates must clean up the penalties if they want any shot at winning Friday. Have to keep down and distance manageable against a strong, deep and athletic team like Midland.

Defensively...IMO, Belfry will more than hold their own. Offensively....need some big plays mixed in with Belfry's usual smash mouth running approach. Should be a good one.
Crossbones Wrote:No, but being knowledgeable and contributing to the threads at hand does, but if it wasn't for the smilies you would be a complete idiot because that is about all you add to thread besides the insults. Again, you are a dumba$$ and :lame:

I'm highly intelligent,and don't worship puffed up pirates :truestory:
On the ignore list, life will be much more peaceful now.
Oh, come on!! You can't do any better than puffed up Pirates??

[Image: https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/image...gIKUkireNn]

I don't want to thread bomb, JoseyWales, but I will tell you that there was a certain school in Harlan County that used to steal the batteries out of the school bus of the visiting team. That happened so much, that we got to where we could go straight to the garbage can that they used to hide them in, retrieve them and go home after a game.

Confusednicker:
This will be a tough one for Belfry. They are playing the #1 team in WV, who has more than double the enrollment Belfry has. This will be no cake walk! From what I saw, Midland has good size and runs to the football very well. Belfry needs a perfect game to win this one, but I think Haywood will have them ready! I've seen a lot of "5-0" stuff going around on social media, hopefully the early success hasn't given them the big head already!

Belfry 20
Midland 14
pjdoug Wrote:I'm highly intelligent,and don't worship puffed up pirates :truestory:

Yet, not a superstar with the written language.

Could the enlightened please give us a definition of a team worthy of support? I would be delighted to receive enlightenment from the master of "fandom" as to what constitutes qualifying Belfry as a puffed up cupcake?

Is it the decades of winning?
The willingness to play ANYONE on the field of battle?
Is it the #1 in State, #17(Alltime) #10 Active National All Time wins leader at Head Coach?
Is it the 4 State Titles?
Maybe the 10 State Title Appearances?
Maybe its because we aren't Trinity or Highlands with win percentages of 84% and 82% (respectively since 1979). Our paltry ~75% isn't even in worth thinking about.
No wait I know, maybe being one of only 16 teams to win 4 titles or more makes us puffy.
I like Pondy Pirates better than Puffed up!! Puffed up reminds me of being bloated!

Confusednicker:
As for this game I expect it to be close with Midland pulling ahead. I think Midland will be just too deep for the Pirates but I like this game as a warm up for Johnson Central in a few weeks.

The computers currently believe this will be a close game as well with Massey Matchups predicting a 28 - 27 Belfry Win and CalPreps predicting a Midland win 31 - 27

I think this one is tight for 3 quarters but in the end the Pirates fall 30-24
PondCreekToWestwood Wrote:In the early 90's Belfry participated in the "Matewan National Bank Kickoff Classic" which was a pre-season event and it was actually usually Greenup County that Belfry played over at Tiger Stadium.

However, I do recall a good Matewan team and a good Pikeville team squaring off in this same event, with Pikeville winning 28-0.

Do I think the best teams in Kentucky would own the best teams in WV, yes I do... but I also look at this as if WV had the same class system as KY, Belfry is playing the #1 team in class AAAAAA. Also with the WV football is a lot weaker argument, does anyone else recall Prestonsburg beating Belfry a few years ago and then needing a comeback overtime win over Matewan when they visited Prestonsburg?

I remember it well. I was in attendance for both. In my opinion Prestonsburg came into this game a bit over confident as they had defeated Matewan the prior year at Matewan 54-14. Couple that with 3 int's and it almost lead to disaster, but the Blackcats fought back and won in overtime.
PondCreekToWestwood Wrote:In the early 90's Belfry participated in the "Matewan National Bank Kickoff Classic" which was a pre-season event and it was actually usually Greenup County that Belfry played over at Tiger Stadium.

The year pikeville played matewan was 1993. Pikeville did win 28-0 and the games were only 2 twelve minute quarters. This was also the same year belfry suffered it's only losing season under Coach Haywood. We were 4-7 that year. I'm pretty sure one of the four wins was against pikeville.
[YOUTUBE="Midland War Chant"]oPLdkejWes8[/YOUTUBE]

Used as an intimidation factor and pump up method before their games. Belfry fans in attendance will witness Midlands Maori Haka. In the past the Pirates have neutralized opponents intimidation factors in various ways (the 79 Highlands story comes to mind). What do you think? Does the war chant with Midlands numbers intimidate the Pirates this Friday night?
AtlPirateFan Wrote:[YOUTUBE="Midland War Chant"]oPLdkejWes8[/YOUTUBE]

Used as an intimidation factor and pump up method before their games. Belfry fans in attendance will witness Midlands Maori Haka. In the past the Pirates have neutralized opponents intimidation factors in various ways (the 79 Highlands story comes to mind). What do you think? Does the war chant with Midlands numbers intimidate the Pirates this Friday night?

If we lose to a bunch of kids who do a cheer before the game, we deserve to lose. If they can sacrifice practice time to learn a jig, they're better than us.
Another story for this week for those of you who like the "drama" of the game.

Cabell Midland is coached by former Lawrence Co. head coach Luke Salmons. Salmons only experience against Belfry was in 2008 when he lost to Belfry 20-13. That season Belfry would ride a win streak into the late playoffs before loosing to Breathitt. Lawrence Co. didn't put a W on the board that season. Salmons would turn LC around however going undefeated in the 2009 Regular Season and 8-2 in 2010, his final season at the helm of of the Bulldogs. Salmons took over Cabell Midland in 2011 and has gone 8-4, 13-1, 9-3 and 10-2 since taking over the Knights. Of course he currently has CM at #1 in the state.
Crossbones Wrote:Difference between trolling Belfry and calling EKU, who you know very well is very knowledgeable about Ky football lame!

I like EKU and I will agree with you that he is quite knowledgable. EKU keeps it classy. Travels the high road for those of us who aren't afraid to travel the low road.
Here is the (recreated) origin of the Maori Haka w/ translation.

[YOUTUBE="Haka"]BI851yJUQQw[/YOUTUBE]

It is really funny that a bunch of white boys from WV are trying to channel the energy of a tribal battle they likely don't understand.

and for you history buffs. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Zealand_Wars
They also do this

Needless to say these guys really like theatrics.
AtlPirateFan Wrote:Here is the (recreated) origin of the Maori Haka w/ translation.

[YOUTUBE="Haka"]BI851yJUQQw[/YOUTUBE]

It is really funny that a bunch of white boys from WV are trying to channel the energy of a tribal battle they likely don't understand.

and for you history buffs. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Zealand_Wars

If I'm not mistaken they actually hold practice for this out at the Milton Flea Market on Tuesdays and Thursdays if you are interested in joining. Confusednicker:
PondCreekToWestwood Wrote:If I'm not mistaken they actually hold practice for this out at the Milton Flea Market on Tuesdays and Thursdays if you are interested in joining. Confusednicker:

[Image: http://media.graytvinc.com/images/Milton...fire+L.jpg]

Guess they practiced their pyrotechnics there too......
They better back it up with all these pregame theatrics.
http://www.wsaz.com/home/headlines/BREAK...12675.html

Just don't mess up if ya head out there to join or this could happen to you.
AtlPirateFan Wrote:[YOUTUBE="Midland War Chant"]oPLdkejWes8[/YOUTUBE]

I think Belfry has about 8-10 cheerleaders lineup across the end zone and take off toward the Midland team doing flips to midfield and when they stop give them the Mutumbo not in my house finger shake and turn and walk away. Confusedinglepar
EKUAlum05 Wrote:They also do this

Needless to say these guys really like theatrics.

That is really awesome, but gotta say it reminds me a LOT of
how the Pirates enter the field through their inflatable with the kids
and cheerleaders on the field. Hate I wont be there Friday! :popcorn:
Just wanted to drop by and say good luck. No need to talk crap about our town, team and or our kids. Remember they are kids alot of them have looked at this thread and laugh at the way parents and or grownups get on here and talk smack when really it's the kids who play the game. Remember good luck and hopefully both teams come out of this battle with no injuries. Looks like both teams are headed for the playoffs in their respective states.
  •  Previous
  • 5(current)
  • Next