Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(2) Kentucky 75 - (11) Kansas 65
DSRfan Wrote:You're watching a different team than I am then. Haven't seen Gilchrist
making any plays other than his OWN as of yet. He did get caught in the
air and see Davis who bailed him out. He's shown no particular propensity
as a passer, and while he's done a very good job as a one on one defender,
he certainly isn't catching the whole floor like Miller does yet.

I fully expect Gilchrist to end up as a better all around defender.
He's probably already a better rebounder, and may develop into a better passer, and has the potential to be a far better all around player.
But right now, you're just letting his greater athleticism blind you
to the reality that Miller is a better player, FOR NOW, in most
respects. And while Darius is never going to be confused for
"aggressive", to say he's the same player he was as a freshman
is ASSININE. Over the latter half of last season, Darius became
exactly what that team (and now this) needed. A player
who understands his role, and does what is NEEDED from
him, and not more. He gets KEY rebounds. He blocks
shots on help D, he gets rebounds when things are getting tight,
and he slips inside for his shot when we need a bucket,
or drains a big 3.

I don't know what's keeping you guys from seeing this,
but Darius was the KEY to our FF run last year.
And
he was the KEY to the second half turnaround against
Kansas.UK fans should be tickled TO DEATH we have this
guy, as his talents and willinginess to play his role,
are JUST what this team of super talent needs to
mesh it together.

You act like we all want to burn Darius at the stake. I'm very happy he's on the team, he's a key roll player, and one of the best 3 point shooters in college basketball. Not to mention he's a Kentucky boy.
But still, Gilchrist is a better player RIGHT NOW. He is a better passer, on ball defender, rebounder, and play maker. There's a reason he's projected in the lottery. Obviously Miller is a better shooter, decision maker, and team defender. Gilchrist will learn the concept of team defense as the season goes on.
As to the bolded, I have to disagree. I can't point out one individual player that was the key to our run last year. Everybody from Knight to Harrellson knew their roll from listening to Cal and executed it perfectly. Our team defense was the difference for us and sparked our run. In the second half of the SEC season and on, our half court defense was suffocating. Even the game we lost to UCONN, our defense played good enough to win, we just couldn't buy a shot.
Is Miller our glue guy this year? Too early in the season to tell. Good chance IMO. Offense just flows better when he's in the game. Our defense is light years ahead of our offense. Freshman need more time to adjust to the dribble drive. When they do, it's going to be scary. Hopefully for my sake, it's before the UNC game.
Another scary fact: UK only played ten minutes of good basketball, turned the ball over 19 times, and still beat the #11 team by double digits. This team is only going to get better.
The first ten minutes of the second half was great, then we coasted the next ten. A lot of that had to do with the officials calling it so tight.
Aslan Wrote:Another scary fact: UK only played ten minutes of good basketball, turned the ball over 19 times, and still beat the #11 team by double digits. This team is only going to get better.
The first ten minutes of the second half was great, then we coasted the next ten. A lot of that had to do with the officials calling it so tight.

UK has gotten much better, and Kansas is not much different from this match-up