•  Previous
  • 5(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Highlands vs Johnson Central
fb fan Wrote:True I guess your right Midee 1 about the independent schools. Just wish the private schools would have their own playoff system.

It will NEVER happen brother...There are not enough private schools in the state. Unlike California, east coast or up north, where there are more prodominate private schools.
BADCAT74 Wrote:So they don't get players from the Cincinnati area? I understand there are transfers to an from every school out there. But some seem to get a little more athletically gifted ones an get them consistently? An I dont think there's much of an argument that it's the private schools who benefit the most from this?? IMO. But I do believe also that after a team like HHS or trinity get the reps that they have earned over the years people just gravitate towards winning programs like them, so the actual "recruiting" part ehh... maybe not so much. but the ability to have kids from all over attend your school without any boundaries Is probably more of a problem. IMO. An the list of schools Still alive just makes the point for public vs private debate that's a large percentage of co. Schools an small percentage of private I would bet a pay check that will most certainly be equalled out the next few rounds by losing most all public schools an I'm sure private will be represented nicely in every class? As is par. Just my opinion on what I've seen through the years. Not trying to step on toes here.

KY football is considered a joke by many in Ohio, and it would be very uncommon for an Ohio player to want to come to Highlands to play football. I can think of 1, and he wasn't even a Varsity player before transferring back to a school in Cincinnati. I think there was another, but I am not sure.

Lastly, it has been stated many times, but bears repeating. The Ft. Thomas Independent School District has many tuition-paying students in grades K - 12, but only a fraction of them (maybe 2%) play football.
Saw where Matney finally posted JC's stats for the year. Looks like JC has thrown a total of 48 passes the whole year, completing 20 of them. I respectfully disagree with some on this and other sites who are predicting that JC will magically begin passing this week. If they fall behind as many predict, they may have to pass, but their bread and butter is Jude and more Jude. As several posters have noted, the recipe for beating Highlands, or at least keeping the game close, is controlling the clock and limiting their offensive possessions.

If the Birds can tackle everyone who comes out of the backfield and limit JC to a few 3 and outs, it will likely be lights out at DCM on Friday night because the offensive firepower from the Birds is nothing like they'll have seen this season. Absent turnovers Highlands may very well score on every possession.

Has JC faced a predominately passing team this season? If so, how did they fare? The KHSAA stats do not show how JC's opponents have fared against them from a rushing and passing perspective.
highlands takes this lol! good luck to JC tho!! im sure jude will do what he has to to try to win!
Just thinking this morning , what will JC have coming back next year? They have not developed a passing game over the last couple of years . They lose Jude. Do they have another Jude coming up? Will they stick with being a running team or will they start developing more of a balanced attack? Just some questions.

JC has been fun to play against and watch the last couple of years. I certainly hope they continue to be a strong team that can contend in the playoffs.
JC returns the bulk of the team. We do lose Jude, but have 3 really strong freshman and sophmore runners. Also lose two O-line and a TE on offense. On defense we lose one LB and D end.

Great core coming back and should be another great season. This was our rebuilding year.
Keepnitreal Wrote:JC returns the bulk of the team. We do lose Jude, but have 3 really strong freshman and sophmore runners. Also lose two O-line and a TE on offense. On defense we lose one LB and D end.

Great core coming back and should be another great season. This was our rebuilding year.

So will JC continue to be a mostly running team? Are any of the 3 runners coming up the likes of Jude?
rustyankle Wrote:How many of your starters are originally from your county??

I would venture a guess that ALL are from the county and nearly all, if not all, are from the city of Fort Thomas.

The Fort Thomas Junior Football League, started by Homer Rice and some other forward thinking citizens in the late 50's or early 60's, is the backbone of Highlands football. With 4 - 5 teams in three divisions (3/4, 5/6, 7/8) they begin developing talent at the tender age of nine. They work in conjunction with the Highlands staff to learn the "Bluebird Way" for six years prior to putting on that first blue and white uniform. Regardless of talent, every kid plays significant minutes in every game. Most of the FTJFL coaches are former HHS players and they motivate their players to work toward the goal of a state championship when they become of age.

A really interesting fact about the FTJFL is that in any given year fully one third of their players do not attend Ft Thomas schools and will never set foot in the halls of Highlands. Obviously, because of this, other NoKY benefit and are made better.
highlands by 3 scores
rustyankle Wrote:How many of your starters are originally from your county??

Listed below are the "stats" guys...The ones making the plays. ( http://preps.cincinnati.com/Football/Tea.../Highlands ) The ones BOLDED IN RED, did not attend elementary school in Fort Thomas. ALL of those players BOLDED IN RED did not come to Highlands until middle school.

Evan Allen
Grant Beiting
Chad Bowden
Luke Brockett
[COLOR="red"]Devin Bruns
Drake Bruns[/COLOR]

David Christian
Joey Cochranan
Jac Collinsworth
Brian Condon
Ryan Donovan
Luke Dressman
Alex Frost
Ryan Greene
Zach Harris
Jaylen Hayes
Jake Heck
Jehad Henderson
Brandon Hergott
Beau Hogue
Seth Hope
Drew Houliston
Brendan Houston
Ryan Kissel
Nathan Merkle
Donovan McCoy
Beau McGhee
Ian McGurn
J.C. Mettens
Jake Meyer
Carter New
Kenton Noran
Joe Paolucci
Austin Peterson
Connor Poston
Josh Quillen
Brad Rouse
Blake Schutte
Colin Seidl
Austin Sheehan
Ben Streeter
Patrick Towles
Jake True
Nick True
Luke Turner
Griffin Urlage
Alex Venneman
pappy Wrote:Highlands is in a class by itself, but I know that the last few years JC has given them their toughest in class games and the 'Birds have had to earn a couple. One dropped pass last year is all that saved the Birds from becoming the Crows. I look forward to the JC/HHS games, but the 'Birds will be too much for the Eagles this year. A blowout, no. A really close one like last year, no. A respectful game within 14-21 points, most likely.

so why do people say highland is in a class of thier own
the top 5 in state in my way would be
1 trinty
2 bowling green
3 highlands
4 scott county
5 st x
rebel 4 life Wrote:so why do people say highland is in a class of thier own
the top 5 in state in my way would be
1 trinty
2 bowling green
3 highlands
4 scott county
5 st x

I think they were referring to in class 4A. However, if you want to look at the entire state, I have no argument with Trinity at one...They are head and shoulders above the rest. On the other hand, I still can't figure how BG has improved so much in one year. Last year, they lost by 4 to the team Highlands beat in the championship by 50! They would have had to improved by leaps and bounds while Highlands fell off the map. Highlands is arguably as good as last year, with the exception that they STILL have a QB that has already lead them to two state championships and he is MUCH better than he was last year.
tradition Wrote:So will JC continue to be a mostly running team? Are any of the 3 runners coming up the likes of Jude?

Yes.
Blau Vogel Wrote:Listed below are the "stats" guys...The ones making the plays. ( http://preps.cincinnati.com/Football/Tea.../Highlands ) The ones BOLDED IN RED, did not attend elementary school in Fort Thomas. ALL of those players BOLDED IN RED did not come to Highlands until middle school.

Evan Allen
Grant Beiting
Chad Bowden
Luke Brockett
[COLOR="red"]Devin Bruns
Drake Bruns[/COLOR]

David Christian
Joey Cochranan
Jac Collinsworth
Brian Condon
Ryan Donovan
Luke Dressman
Alex Frost
Ryan Greene
Zach Harris
Jaylen Hayes
Jake Heck
Jehad Henderson
Brandon Hergott
Beau Hogue
Seth Hope
Drew Houliston
Brendan Houston
Ryan Kissel
Nathan Merkle
Donovan McCoy
Beau McGhee
Ian McGurn
J.C. Mettens
Jake Meyer
Carter New
Kenton Noran
Joe Paolucci
Austin Peterson
Connor Poston
Josh Quillen
Brad Rouse
Blake Schutte
Colin Seidl
Austin Sheehan
Ben Streeter
Patrick Towles
Jake True
Nick True
Luke Turner
Griffin Urlage
Alex Venneman

So no transfers on this team no out of state kids on this team no out of county kids on this team mmmmmm good job highlands
Blau Vogel Wrote:I think they were referring to in class 4A. However, if you want to look at the entire state, I have no argument with Trinity at one...They are head and shoulders above the rest. On the other hand, I still can't figure how BG has improved so much in one year. Last year, they lost by 4 to the team Highlands beat in the championship by 50! They would have had to improved by leaps and bounds while Highlands fell off the map. Highlands is arguably as good as last year, with the exception that they STILL have a QB that has already lead them to two state championships and he is MUCH better than he was last year.

:Thumbs: I agree. I believe if Trinity wasn't so devestating this year, HHS would be the talk of the state. They are better than last year, unbeaten and looking to win their 5th straight state title (which ties the record currently held by Boyle).
Isn't Highlands a public school? Just saying.....

People who cry about Highlands and Trinty kill me. Really? Are you that jealous? Are all of you telling me that if you had a kid that played football and your job transferred you to NKY or Louisville you wouldn't be trying to send your kid to Highlands or Trinity? If you say no then I don't believe you. Why wouldn't you want that for your kid? Not only are they fine, scratch that, excellent academic institutions but their success on the field recruits itself. If I lived in Lexington my kid would go to LexCath. Louisville, he'd be at Trinity or St. x. Northern Kentucky he'd be at Highlands. And my kid doesn't even play football. Some of you all need to let the hatred go and recognize quality programs when you see them. Period. Maybe if some of you would model your programs after them(from elementary on up) then maybe just maybe you'll imitate their success one day. Until then Blau Vogel left the address for KHSAA so go ahead and report the illegal players instead of make baseless claims on message boards behind a fake name.

And I'm a Boyle County/Bowling Green fan........smh
I worked with a 21 year old kid this summer who played for HHS until his soph year. He said he didn't know what it was like now but when he went to school there Fort Thomas was full of apartments and town houses for recruited football players.
Eagle Pride 90` Wrote:I worked with a 21 year old kid this summer who played for HHS until his soph year. He said he didn't know what it was like now but when he went to school there Fort Thomas was full of apartments and town houses for recruited football players.

And right now he's telling his buds about the rube who bought that story. They're having a good laugh.:biglmao::lame:
Can you dig it? Wrote:And right now he's telling his buds about the rube who bought that story. They're having a good laugh.:biglmao::lame:

LOL, this is so funny! We in NKY have been hearing these rumors since I was in High School in the 80's! It's so funny that people can be so gullable! In today's INSTANT media, the lid on this would have been blown off and we would have a NATIONAL INQUIRY!
Can you dig it? Wrote:And right now he's telling his buds about the rube who bought that story. They're having a good laugh.:biglmao::lame:

Did he tell you about the top secret underground airport we have for flying players in from Cali and Florida? Did he mention that Beechwood, Bellevue, Boone County, Brossart, Campbell County, Conner, Cooper, Covington Catholic, Dayton, Dixie, Holmes, Holy Cross, Lloyd, Ludlow, Newport, Newport Central Catholic, Ryle, Scott, and Simon Kenton (every one within a 30 minute drive of Highlands) are just feeder schools sending their best and brightest so the Birds will be forever strong? Did he mention that the above 20 schools hold Highlands in such high regard that they would never think of turning them in if what he said were true? Did he mention that only an idiot would believe what he told you?
Blau Vogel Wrote:Did he tell you about the top secret underground airport we have for flying players in from Cali and Florida? Did he mention that Beechwood, Bellevue, Boone County, Brossart, Campbell County, Conner, Cooper, Covington Catholic, Dayton, Dixie, Holmes, Holy Cross, Lloyd, Ludlow, Newport, Newport Central Catholic, Ryle, Scott, and Simon Kenton (every one within a 30 minute drive of Highlands) are just feeder schools sending their best and brightest so the Birds will be forever strong? Did he mention that the above 20 schools hold Highlands in such high regard that they would never think of turning them in if what he said were true? Did he mention that only an idiot would believe what he told you?

So that's what happened to Campbell County!!!
Having lived the first 20 years of my life in Ft Thomas, there are not that many apartments or town homes. It is referred to as the "City of Beautiful Homes" for a reason, it has lots of single family homes.
There is no need to list all the kids names. I think what some are trying to say is that it is virtually impossible for a county say with 20,000 pop. to compete with schools that have a city or cities with a pop. of 200,000 people within arms reach of them to have kids come to their school when they are known as a power house. However I do not blame any parent that has a talented athlete to enroll their kid in a powerhouse program. That isn't the issue. But as a coach for over 20yrs. I will say it is impossible year in and out to compete with schools that have the luxury of getting the best of the best from major metro areas. Schools such as Highlands, Cov. Cath., Trinity, St. X, all have great programs. I just wish there was some different system that would make it more competitive for those schools. I mean come on Highlands won the state last year 50-0. Now do you really think the team they beat were the second best in the state.....probably not. I saw Cov. Cath and Highlands play this year. ABSOLUTELY A GREAT GAME !! An awesome game to watch. Now that was a very competitive game. Just wish people would give it some thought is all....................Thanks.
Stardust Wrote:So that's what happened to Campbell County!!!

You figured it out...Dixie too. Ex-Highlands players infiltrate these schools as coaches and send the cream of the crop to their alma mater.
fb fan Wrote:There is no need to list all the kids names. I think what some are trying to say is that it is virtually impossible for a county say with 20,000 pop. to compete with schools that have a city or cities with a pop. of 200,000 people within arms reach of them to have kids come to their school when they are known as a power house. However I do not blame any parent that has a talented athlete to enroll their kid in a powerhouse program. That isn't the issue. But as a coach for over 20yrs. I will say it is impossible year in and out to compete with schools that have the luxury of getting the best of the best from major metro areas. Schools such as Highlands, Cov. Cath., Trinity, St. X, all have great programs. I just wish there was some different system that would make it more competitive for those schools. I mean come on Highlands won the state last year 50-0. Now do you really think the team they beat were the second best in the state.....probably not. I saw Cov. Cath and Highlands play this year. ABSOLUTELY A GREAT GAME !! An awesome game to watch. Now that was a very competitive game. Just wish people would give it some thought is all....................Thanks.

Let's do the math...20,000/1=20,000 *370,000/20=18,500 Who has the advantage here?

*population of Boone, Campbell and Kenton

Like I said above, there are 20 schools within a half hours drive of Fort Thomas. That does not even include southwest Ohio and southeast Indiana schools. Elder, St. X and Moeller are also within a half hours drive. County schools can compete...If I remember right, there is only one school in the state that has won 5 championships in a row. Who was that?
Eagle Pride 90` Wrote:I worked with a 21 year old kid this summer who played for HHS until his SOP year. He said he didn't know what it was like now but when he went to school there Fort Thomas was full of apartments and town houses for recruited football players.
and there is a tunnel under Dixie Highway connecting CovCath and Notre Dame. Ask any freshman at CovCath they'll tell you
Yes indeed. We have a young man claiming to be an alum. of HHS who makes a rather harsh claim against the faithful and program at HHS. This statement if true would shake what we are led to believe is a flawless situation. What are his justifications? Not really from HHS. Was there as he said but just could not make the cut, or some other fabrication. If in fact he did spend two years with the Birds and is legit,then a great wrong for some reason has been done. I urge the Birds to rise to the defense less credibility of the masses be questioned.
fb fan Wrote:There is no need to list all the kids names. I think what some are trying to say is that it is virtually impossible for a county say with 20,000 pop. to compete with schools that have a city or cities with a pop. of 200,000 people within arms reach of them to have kids come to their school when they are known as a power house. However I do not blame any parent that has a talented athlete to enroll their kid in a powerhouse program. That isn't the issue. But as a coach for over 20yrs. I will say it is impossible year in and out to compete with schools that have the luxury of getting the best of the best from major metro areas. Schools such as Highlands, Cov. Cath., Trinity, St. X, all have great programs. I just wish there was some different system that would make it more competitive for those schools. I mean come on Highlands won the state last year 50-0. Now do you really think the team they beat were the second best in the state.....probably not. I saw Cov. Cath and Highlands play this year. ABSOLUTELY A GREAT GAME !! An awesome game to watch. Now that was a very competitive game. Just wish people would give it some thought is all....................Thanks.

Boyle County is 2-3 against Highlands and has defeated them to win state. It's not impossible. Until this year Boyle County had defeated LexCath 6 times in a row. It's not impossible. Boyle County has about 25,000 people. It's not impossible.
RebelPride12 Wrote:Boyle County is 2-3 against Highlands and has defeated them to win state. It's not impossible. Until this year Boyle County had defeated LexCath 6 times in a row. It's not impossible. Boyle County has about 25,000 people. It's not impossible.

Not to mention you have a pretty good EVIL independent school in the neighborhood.
mr.charlie hustle Wrote:Yes indeed. We have a young man claiming to be an alum. of HHS who makes a rather harsh claim against the faithful and program at HHS. This statement if true would shake what we are led to believe is a flawless situation. What are his justifications? Not really from HHS. Was there as he said but just could not make the cut, or some other fabrication. If in fact he did spend two years with the Birds and is legit,then a great wrong for some reason has been done. I urge the Birds to rise to the defense less credibility of the masses be questioned.

no idea what you are talking about.
  •  Previous
  • 5(current)
  • Next