Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best QB's Ever to Play at Your School
for SF no brainer... Nick Compton.
Vincent Vega Wrote:for SF no brainer... Nick Compton.

I would have to agree with ya there VV:rock: Confusedhh:
Belfry

Dwayne Francisco
Grady Moore
Gary Smith
Paul Howard
Jonathan Wright

In no particular order, and it doesn't date back very far because I am not really familiar with those before the late 70's & early '80s.
My thoughts:

Justin McCurry may very well be the best in PC's lackluster history...but he is FARRRRRRRRRR from being one of the best to come out of the 15th region... he had an average arm, decent agility, and poor decision making. Look at what he did against quality competition and check his stats....

Belfry... the first name that comes to mind for me are Jonathan Wright for a passing QB (though he never met his potential), and Grady Smith, Dwayne Francisco, and Paul Howard as option QB's.

I would rate JP Blair and Ben Howard above Branham for Pikeville.

Surprised there arent more Pburg voices here...for my money i would choose Seth Hyden for the Blackcats.
jayblackcat2006 Wrote:Is Chris Redman still playing Pro ball? If so where at? I don't think that he is still a Raven but I'm not sure.

Im pretty sure about this but he is a pat since the playoffs started last year
im gonna have to say that jimmy newsome was a pretty good quarterback, but you all brobably ave no clue who he was
he was the quarterback in the 1973 season when pikeville went for the first time to the kentucky high school state championship under none other than hillard howard in his rookie season
beef mught know him

but matt branham is still the best
Dave Shaffer #9
Wow, I'm not sure. I guess I would have to say Eddie Eviston, 3 time NAIA Player of the year at georgetown, and won a couple of National Chamionships there too.

Problem is he never played QB in High School, just when he got to college.
Well, Joey Willis and Trevor Compton of my time ! Dave shaffer would be awsome but he has no weapons at WR.
Dave shaffer has a great arm, but his accuracy isnt good at all. A team can have great WR's, but if you dont have a qb that can throw it to them then you cant use em'. Pburg made the right move in letting the hughs kid play qb, because i think Dave would be a better fit at TE.
Big Dave Shaffer P Burg
Chris Redman is now with the Tenneesse Titans as thier 3rd string QB, he had a try out for New England, they took someone else instead and the following week Redman tried out for the titans and they signed him the next day.

Jason Michael is now an assistant with the Oakland Raiders, he was a GA at tenneesse for 2 years before signing with the raiders. He led the Hilltoppers to the national championship, it wasn't a bowl victory.

Also on a side note, another mountain boy is shaking up the college world down there in topper country, Who might have been the best QB to play in Breathitt, and they have a had a few goodones. I hope noone has forgotten about Justin Haddix
Nick Scalf from Lynn Camp
I would say for Lawrence CO.
Jason Michael ( went on to win National Champion as QB for Western Ky coaching staff with the Raiders)
Alan Short - Played at Cumberland and now on coaching staff at lchs

just to name a few.
Jason Michael was incredible. That was one boy who knew how to hide a football. You had to tackle every back on the field to stop his offense.
Brandon Ratliff
Jeremy Ratliff
Paul Deese were the best three to play at ER, not in any order.

Justin McCurry from Pike Central WAS an amazing player. Great football player and a good guy. He was getting one of his tattoos when I was getting mine as well. Nice guy.
Who was the QB for Perry County Central a couple years ago? I remember playing against him. He was an excellent QB, I just don't think he had a good enough team around him.
was it allan holland tomcat, he was there 2000-03
Ian Holbrook, Ashland tomcats
Yes Allan Holland. He was a great QB for Perry County.
Nick Scalf is doin' pretty good for the camp this year....whether or not he's the best i dunno for sure....but he is one of the best..... :Thumbs:
i thought Joey Willis was good
Willis and Compton.
i think that joey willis and trevor compton were the best qb's at pburg
I think Michael has to be the best Lawrence County ever produced, but not by an immense margin over Alan Short.

However, the best pure athlete to play QB at LC was Dontae Wright, bar none. He instantly changed games with the ball in his hands.

Was great to see some names from the past in this thread -- Dwayne Francisco, Blair, Mays. Great players.

One of note at Ashland I remember was Chuck Broughton.

At Paintsville, wasn't Chuke Williams a pretty fair option QB back in the day? Anybody remember that far back?

Anybody remember how tough Bill Allen was at Morgan County?

And as far as P'burg QBs go, I'll take Trevor Compton for $1,000, Alex. But Willis was good, too.
Showing your age PB showing your age.
Yeah, probably...

But at least I can remember some of these folks (at least til I drink more diet pop)!
LOL my memory is already gone. I can't remember yesterday.
The Blair Brothers Were The Best For Pikeville, (matt,j.p.). Both Were Great Throwing Qb's They Just Didnt Have To.
The best passing QB Johnson Central ever had was Alex Ward. He had the bad luck to play for a coach who loved to run the ball, but a couple of times he was yard for yard with Tim Couch in games against Leslie Co.