Poll: Who Wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Shelby Valley
26.00%
Prestonsburg
74.00%
* You voted for this item.

•  Previous
  • 4(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shelby Valley @ Prestonsburg 10/23 - Broadcast on 103.1 WPKE www.wpke.com
P-burg by two touchdowns at home.
Prestonsburg-49
Valley-20
More Cowbell Wrote:But that's not good enough for some people. They like to bring up games from 8-9 years ago (which I have yet to figure out the relevance of). They want to talk about other local teams and the strength of their schedules for some reason.

Is this not why we have this message board ? To be able to discuss whatever we want to within reasonable limits? Unlike some posters, I take into account other aspects of a matchup bn two teams besides just picking "my team". I don't find it odd at all that I would discuss the strength of schedule of these teams...Like I have said in my previous two posts, I posted the average score of the last 10 years because people (bj roberts) wondered why everyone was pickin pburg and picking them big.And Prestonsburg winning big , is a common trend in this series. I'm sorry that what I discuss in my posts, and my reasoning for picking the games that I do bothers you, but I try to make educated posts and opinions rather then just putting Prestonsburg wins big as my prediction.
Prestonsburg is hot this year and Shelby Valley doesn't have enough to put out that fire.

Pburg by 3 TD's (maybe more)
Valley has the players to match up, but lacks coaching by a lot. The special teams and secondary will kill SV in this one just like their other two losses. Who is responsible for special teams and secondary anyways? Shelby Valley needs to run, run, and run the ball and eat that clock alive.
i hope shelby valley gets the upset.
WOW, you can sure tell when your dealing with Pburg fans
NYY10 Wrote:WOW, you can sure tell when your dealing with Pburg fans

Yeah using reason and common sense is a quality most Prestonsburg Fans possess.:Thumbs::Thumbs:
OldTymer Wrote:Yeah using reason and common sense is a quality most Prestonsburg Fans possess.:Thumbs::Thumbs:

Funniest post on this thread so far.
NYY10 Wrote:WOW, you can sure tell when your dealing with Pburg fans
You sure can tell what you're dealing with Shelby Valley fans when everyone is delusional to the fact that teams are better than them.
OldTymer Wrote:Yeah using reason and common sense is a quality most Prestonsburg Fans possess.:Thumbs::Thumbs:
I won't say that P'burg fans have class, but at least they have reason and common sense. :Clap:
Possibility for an upset but not likely the wildcats will play hard good and fast and even close but in the long run Pburg 42 SV 28
Should be another W for the blackcats, gonna take them by 3+ TDs, but i do think if they overlook SV then they may get the first L of the season and the first L in school history to SV
the watcher Wrote:Should be another W for the blackcats, gonna take them by 3+ TDs, but i do think if they overlook SV then they may get the first L of the season and the first L in school history to SV

Actually, Valley beat Prestonsburg back in 99 with Dusty Hall and that bunch. That was the season Valley started out like 8 or 9-0.
OldTymer Wrote:Actually, Valley beat Prestonsburg back in 99 with Dusty Hall and that bunch. That was the season Valley started out like 8 or 9-0.

Yep you beat me to the punch. SV was 9-0 and unfortunately lost to Belfry and Leslie County to close out the season.
No doubt the blackcats have this one.
Wow! Wish Allen County threads could bring this much discussion. :biggrin:

I may be attending this game with a friend. (Don't think I'm taking Russell County lightly either Wink) I heard this was going to be a good game and I really want to see the Burchett kid play for Prestonsburg. I have heard nothing but great things about him and his decision making. Don't know anything about Shelby Valley and have only heard about Prestonsburg, so I won't make a prediction.

I do wish both teams the best of luck though. May it be a great game.
OldTymer Wrote:Actually, Valley beat Prestonsburg back in 99 with Dusty Hall and that bunch. That was the season Valley started out like 8 or 9-0.

oh really? I never knew that, I have alot of friends that go to prestonsburg and we talk football a good bit and i've never heard them mention that before lol they must want to keep that burried in the closet
the watcher Wrote:oh really? I never knew that, I have alot of friends that go to prestonsburg and we talk football a good bit and i've never heard them mention that before lol they must want to keep that burried in the closet

Haha well, we try to bury that entire year at Prestonsburg. They underachieved greatly and went 3-8.
OldTymer Wrote:Haha well, we try to bury that entire year at Prestonsburg. They underachieved greatly and went 3-8.

Next two years after that where pretty good though. Wink
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Next two years after that where pretty good though. Wink

That they were. 2000 was kind of a surprise though and was still very up and down. 5-5 regular season winning the district with a win in double ot at Belfry, a loss to Pike Central the next week. Then getting white hot in the playoffs and making it all the way to the semis and got destroyed by one the best high school football teams i've ever seen in Boyle Co. Crazy Crazy year....
Valley has one of the strongest running games in the moutains......With the hughes tackett and roberts combo...i love it.....alfus....shelby valley's backs earn every yard they get dude to 1 or 2 weak links in there line.....
True!!!
so im gonna have to go with p-burg on this one
SV_guard Wrote:Valley has one of the strongest running games in the moutains......With the hughes tackett and roberts combo...i love it.....alfus....shelby valley's backs earn every yard they get dude to 1 or 2 weak links in there line.....

When you have a run to pass ratio of 10:1 anyone can have a good running game, also when you play no competion and have your starters in the game till the late 4th quarter then yes, valley does have a awesome running game
SV_guard Wrote:Valley has one of the strongest running games in the moutains......With the hughes tackett and roberts combo...i love it.....alfus....shelby valley's backs earn every yard they get dude to 1 or 2 weak links in there line.....

:what::igiveup:
Pburg by as many as they want :]
Okay, here is how Shelby Valley can win.

- The running game needs to be superb and almost flawless. B.J. Roberts and Dillion Hughes really have to be the one-two punch that they have shown that they can be. Both have to hold onto the ball, see the gaps, and block for the other when necessary.

- The offensive line has to hold their blocks. So far this season, they have done a good job with that. Problem is, this is going to be the fastest defense will see possibly all year. They can't let players like Griffith and McKinney get in the backfield. From what I've seen on TV, the Wildcats line is big enough and have done a nice job most of the season at this. If Roberts and Hughes can't even get out of the backfield the majority of the time, then the Wildcats will be in for a long, long night.

- Cody Varney has got to keep cool under pressure. The reason I say that is because Prestonsburg will put intense pressure on him, there's no doubt about that. Varney can't be turning the ball over (I don't even think SV can afford one turnover to win this one). I don't think SV's O-Line will be able to keep Griffith, McKinney, Max Turner, and Cameron Tincher out of the backfield. I understand Varney is best when he is on the move. This means that Varney is going to have to make good decisions all night for the Wildcats to have any kind of chance at stealing this one.

- The SV secondary have to stay on the Blackcat receivers. Michael Burchett will probably thread the needle most of the time and will be putting the ball right on the money as usual. That's a given. If I were SV, I would accept that and just do my best to stay with the receivers. Try some man coverage, zone coverage, just whatever works best. Jamerson, Craynon, Blackburn, Hall, and McKinney will be tough to cover is the other problem. No one has been able to do it all season.

- Last, SV has to understand they are playing on the road and understand how fired up Prestonsburg will be after the scare the Wildcats gave them last year. The Blackcats will not be taking them lightly in any way, they will actually be more than ready. SV needs to understand that this Blackcat team isn't overlooking them like some on this thread are. Coach DeRossett will have his troops ready and SV, I'm sure, already knows this.

I really expect a good game overall, but unless Shelby Valley does all of these things, I just don't see how they can win the game. Especially it being at Josh Francis Field. There are just many things going the Blackcats way right now for Shelby Valley to come in and steal it all away.
outdoorsman43 Wrote:Okay, here is how Shelby Valley can win.

- The running game needs to be superb and almost flawless. B.J. Roberts and Dillion Hughes really have to be the one-two punch that they have shown that they can be. Both have to hold onto the ball, see the gaps, and block for the other when necessary.

- The offensive line has to hold their blocks. So far this season, they have done a good job with that. Problem is, this is going to be the fastest defense will see possibly all year. They can't let players like Griffith and McKinney get in the backfield. From what I've seen on TV, the Wildcats line is big enough and have done a nice job most of the season at this. If Roberts and Hughes can't even get out of the backfield the majority of the time, then the Wildcats will be in for a long, long night.

- Cody Varney has got to keep cool under pressure. The reason I say that is because Prestonsburg will put intense pressure on him, there's no doubt about that. Varney can't be turning the ball over (I don't even think SV can afford one turnover to win this one). I don't think SV's O-Line will be able to keep Griffith, McKinney, Max Turner, and Cameron Tincher out of the backfield. I understand Varney is best when he is on the move. This means that Varney is going to have to make good decisions all night for the Wildcats to have any kind of chance at stealing this one.

- The SV secondary have to stay on the Blackcat receivers. Michael Burchett will probably thread the needle most of the time and will be putting the ball right on the money as usual. That's a given. If I were SV, I would accept that and just do my best to stay with the receivers. Try some man coverage, zone coverage, just whatever works best. Jamerson, Craynon, Blackburn, Hall, and McKinney will be tough to cover is the other problem. No one has been able to do it all season.

- Last, SV has to understand they are playing on the road and understand how fired up Prestonsburg will be after the scare the Wildcats gave them last year. The Blackcats will not be taking them lightly in any way, they will actually be more than ready. SV needs to understand that this Blackcat team isn't overlooking them like some on this thread are. Coach DeRossett will have his troops ready and SV, I'm sure, already knows this.

I really expect a good game overall, but unless Shelby Valley does all of these things, I just don't see how they can win the game. Especially it being at Josh Francis Field. There are just many things going the Blackcats way right now for Shelby Valley to come in and steal it all away.

Good Post
Blackcats 49
Wildcats 20
P'burg-44
SV-12

REALITY CHECK for the greatest rushing attack EVER...lol...( dont bash me im just playin around)....but after the final score of this game is posted I wanna here the SV fans use the same scoreboard comaprisons as they used with common opponents to try and make themseleves think they are on Belfry's level. ( well Belfry only beat PC by 10 and we beat them by 22 where is our respect...lol)
  •  Previous
  • 4(current)
  • Next