Poll: Who wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Shelby Valley Wildcats
68.42%
Mason Co. Royals
31.58%
* You voted for this item.

•  Previous
  • 4(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mason County vs. Shelby Valley (1st Round Sweet 16)
this is going to be a great game. i am going to say the wildcats are going to take this one by 7. good luck shelby valley.
I do think that it will be a close game but I can't go against Shelby Valley.I do think that the Wildcats are on a mission and that they will pull this game out.Go Wildcats !!!
hossman Wrote:I AM GOING TO GUESS AND SAY IT WILL BE LIKE THE REST OF THE GUARDS THAT HAS TRIED TO GUARD HIM. UNSUCESSFUL.
Just asking cause I honestly don't know, but who has Shelby Valley played that has a good size guard?
This will no doubt be a VERY tough game for Valley. But when Shelby Valley is on and clickin they can play with anyone. Im not saying that they can beat Scott Co. or Holmes. I have not seen Mason Co. play but I do know Elliot beat them. As long as SV sticks to their style of play and keep the pressure D up the entire game, I think they can win. As far as Mason Co's defense goes, SV has two of the best gaurds in the state, they can handle the pressure.
Creeker Wrote:Just asking cause I honestly don't know, but who has Shelby Valley played that has a good size guard?

Walton, Georgia had a kid that was 6'1'' and could really jump he had already signed with North Carolina State. Im not saying he is as big as Middleton, but I would imagine he is better. Elisha outplayed the kid from Walton rather easily. He was the best player on their team though IMO.
I think Justice guarded the 6-7 Rice kid from Walton, Georgia. Justice shut him down.
I'll take Shelby Valley by 9.
InstantOffense Wrote:Walton, Georgia had a kid that was 6'1'' and could really jump he had already signed with North Carolina State. Im not saying he is as big as Middleton, but I would imagine he is better. Elisha outplayed the kid from Walton rather easily. He was the best player on their team though IMO.
Cool!
I see SV winning by 7. But they got to have a good first half. They can't play the first half against Mason like they did against JC and LC in the last two games or they are beat. GO BIG BLUE.:flame:
Do we know the times of the games yet? If they know who they play already, don't they have the day and times established? Someone please let me know, I would love to go watch a mountain team do well in this thing!
Gooding scouting and a good gameplan is needed for Valley to get to Mason. This game should be scary for Valley fans just for the simple fact that they can not have a down quarter up here in Rupp. One quarter can lead to a 10 point lead and then the game may be out of reach. For Valley, keep the game close and don't let the refs get the you in foul trouble. Valley will be challenged with their size but I think the speed of Valley's defense is the factor in this game. Go Valley and pull this one out.
Am originally from Pike CO. and would like to see the mountain teams do good but what I know about both teams is the MC size will be the difference. SV will not be playing against one of those weaker 15th region schools in this one and if they have a couple of bad quarters at RUPP like the had in their regional, this one will be over early. MC has been playing well as of late so I'll say the Royals by at least 15 and if SV comes in playing scared it will be more like 20+.
Valley will be tough to press with their guard play
Will these games be on TV??
Well, I watched Mason play. They didn't get pressed the whole game. I say if Valley presses them, that they can't handle it. Valley by 10+.
I think this game is a toss-up much like the Elliott game was in Richmond. Whichever team plays their A game will win. A lot of people on here are dismissing Mason like they aren't a really good team and to me that is a mistake. Mason has such tradition and experience and are usually battle tested. Not that I don't think Valley isn't battle tested though. They have played a good schedule and are on a roll. The fact that we have never won a game at state really scares me. Hopefully this will be our first. You never know what can happen after that.
i'd say Valley by 10 due to their talent level at each position...... adams should have a big game due to his size:flame:
DortonWildcat5 Wrote:I think this game is a toss-up much like the Elliott game was in Richmond. Whichever team plays their A game will win. A lot of people on here are dismissing Mason like they aren't a really good team and to me that is a mistake. Mason has such tradition and experience and are usually battle tested. Not that I don't think Valley isn't battle tested though. They have played a good schedule and are on a roll. The fact that we have never won a game at state really scares me. Hopefully this will be our first. You never know what can happen after that.

Have to agree with on this one. Mason will bring their A game. The only way SV gets beat is if they beat themselfs. GO BIG BLUE.:flame:
2hard2guard Wrote:Am originally from Pike CO. and would like to see the mountain teams do good but what I know about both teams is the MC size will be the difference. SV will not be playing against one of those weaker 15th region schools in this one and if they have a couple of bad quarters at RUPP like the had in their regional, this one will be over early. MC has been playing well as of late so I'll say the Royals by at least 15 and if SV comes in playing scared it will be more like 20+.

Pretty sure that SV is bigger than Mason...
bigman77 Wrote:I see SV winning by 7. But they got to have a good first half. They can't play the first half against Mason like they did against JC and LC in the last two games or they are beat. GO BIG BLUE.:flame:

Was in Pike CO. and got to watch SV and JC and like I said in this thread earlier. I pick MC to win this one no matter what it's just the margin in question, I agree SV can't have a bad quarter or half against MC or they will get blowed out. Don't see much of a way SV can win this one but if they want to keep it close they will have to have a better game from #12 from what I saw and the big boy #24 will have to be more aggressive the whole game and not just in spurts. I think SV's guards, especially the Justice boy looked good while they were playing and not setting in foul trouble against the JC team will be alright, IMO their speed will even things up against the size of MC's guards. Good luck to both teams.
2hard2guard Wrote:Was in Pike CO. and got to watch SV and JC and like I said in this thread earlier. I pick MC to win this one no matter what it's just the margin in question, I agree SV can't have a bad quarter or half against MC or they will get blowed out. Don't see much of a way SV can win this one but if they want to keep it close they will have to have a better game from #12 from what I saw and the big boy #24 will have to be more aggressive the whole game and not just in spurts. I think SV's guards, especially the Justice boy looked good while they were playing and not setting in foul trouble against the JC team will be alright, IMO their speed will even things up against the size of MC's guards. Good luck to both teams.

You don't see much of a way for SV to win? SV was able to beat Elliott, who if I recall correctly, beat Mason by double digits, are you sure you can't see much of a way for SV to win this game?
For those of you who think that Mason County is bigger, take a look below.

Mason Co. Royals----------------Shelby Valley Wildcats
Neal Pawsatt - 6'2- 8.4ppg------------Deven Adams - 6'10- 10.0ppg
Treg Setty - 6'8- 12.5ppg-------------Taylor Newsome - 6'3- 8.6ppg
Kieth Downing - 6'3- 6.8ppg----------Ashley Hatfield - 6'6- 12.9ppg
Russ Middleton - 6'4- 15.9ppg--------Logan Bryant - 5'10- 6.7ppg
Ryan Hamm - 5'9- 3.0ppg-------------Elisha Justice - 5'11- 17.1ppg

Bench's
Phil Barner - 6'6- 4.7ppg--------------Cody Varney - 6'1- 4.3ppg
Jordan Gilbert - 5'10- 5.2ppg---------Tyler Newsome - 6'5- 7.7ppg
Justin Lang - 5'11- 3.0ppg------------Curby Tackett - 6'7- 5.8ppg

Looks like Valley has a slight advantage in size and points per game individually, but Mason County has played better competition.

Another interesting fact is Valley nearly has 200 more steals than Mason County who also likes to press.
Valley
InstantOffense Wrote:Pretty sure that SV is bigger than Mason...

Sorry, should've clarified myself I mean't at the guard positions and not overall team size.
2hard2guard Wrote:Was in Pike CO. and got to watch SV and JC and like I said in this thread earlier. I pick MC to win this one no matter what it's just the margin in question, I agree SV can't have a bad quarter or half against MC or they will get blowed out. Don't see much of a way SV can win this one but if they want to keep it close they will have to have a better game from #12 from what I saw and the big boy #24 will have to be more aggressive the whole game and not just in spurts. I think SV's guards, especially the Justice boy looked good while they were playing and not setting in foul trouble against the JC team will be alright, IMO their speed will even things up against the size of MC's guards. Good luck to both teams.

this quote makes no sence! five starters that are stars,3 great players coming off the bench and the two best and quickest guards in the state. how do you get much better than that?
They're PG only avg 3 ppg could be a field day for Elisha.
hossman Wrote:this quote makes no sence! five starters that are stars,3 great players coming off the bench and the two best and quickest guards in the state. how do you get much better than that?

JMO going from the game I saw I agree the Justice boy #3 is a very talented player, I wish I could have saw more from him but looked as if the ref's, (Which I hope are not calling any at RUPP and I'm pretty sure they won't be) with some of their Tic-Tac fouls sort of took him out of his game but IMO didn't see five stars but a couple of very nice players but maybe the rest of them had off games it does happen.
Mason leads the whole game until the 4th when justice takes over and the Wildcats in the game on a 8-0 run and win by 4..lol
PC_You_Know Wrote:You don't see much of a way for SV to win? SV was able to beat Elliott, who if I recall correctly, beat Mason by double digits, are you sure you can't see much of a way for SV to win this game?

They did beat Elliott which was one of only a couple of games I have saw SV play and they looked alot better then than they did the last time I watched them against JC in their regional. I'm originally from Pike CO and hope the SV team I saw against Elliott in Richmond is the one that shows up in LEX. instead of the one that I saw play against JC. JMO but MC has played alot tougher competition than SV and I think it will show. Elliott did beat MC but I think that game was at Elliott and from what I hear Elliott could beat the Lakers there.
2hard2guard Wrote:They did beat Elliott which was one of only a couple of games I have saw SV play and they looked alot better then than they did the last time I watched them against JC in their regional. I'm originally from Pike CO and hope the SV team I saw against Elliott in Richmond is the one that shows up in LEX. instead of the one that I saw play against JC. JMO but MC has played alot tougher competition than SV and I think it will show. Elliott did beat MC but I think that game was at Elliott and from what I hear Elliott could beat the Lakers there.

Then you may want to get a new source of information..

I watched the game and although Elliott played really well, Mason played really scared in the 2nd half and missed a lot of shots and missed a ton of rebounds..

You are way off in saying SV has little to no chance at winning.
  •  Previous
  • 4(current)
  • Next