Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Channing Fugate Breathitt County
Crazy Horse Wrote:Don't start saying that 4.7 is not fast enough. The two top running backs in the draft(Knowshaun Moreno- Georgia-4.61 / Chris Wells-Ohio State-4.59)is not that much faster then Channing, giving Channing has an entire year to get faster. Channing will get faster and he can play D-1 as running back and most likely will.

Not gonna happen...FB or LB at a small D-1..theres just to many good players across the Nation for Channing to be one of the top
king360 Wrote:Not gonna happen...FB or LB at a small D-1..theres just to many good players across the Nation for Channing to be one of the top

Good point, but you can say that about a lot of kids across the US. Its all about getting the right looks from certain schools at the right time. I think that the fact when he graduates next year as one of KYs all-time leading rushers, that will help him get a scholarship from a big time school.
if he gets to 4.5(which is possible) every univ. in the country would be interested on defense, he is not good enough to be a rb in d1, its just a different level. everybody that he would face in d1 is as big and as fast as him, he wouldn't be able to run over those guys, so unless he could run around them, he would be useless. honestly linemen in d1 run 4.5 to 4.8 everyday.
Crazy Horse Wrote:Good point, but you can say that about a lot of kids across the US. Its all about getting the right looks from certain schools at the right time. I think that the fact when he graduates next year as one of KYs all-time leading rushers, that will help him get a scholarship from a big time school.

Well if he has another year like last year he can go D-1 but idk about big time like Oh. St. or Florida...but maybe UK or Purdue..somewhere along those lines
Seems to me that someone needs to send some game film to some schools so they can come in person and watch him play or can they do that.
Eku If He Wants To Play Rb
he would do good there.
There are running backs in D1 that are as quick as Channing and run around and through defensive players. Why can't Channing. Everyone needs to just quit being jealous and support the next great talent from the mountains. At the next level he is going to be representing us.
whats this guys problem.
Csportsman11 Wrote:If i am not mistaken Howard played against Breathitt's Justin Haddix he went on and made a good College player as Quaterback and won 2-a state championship were did Howard go,so yes Channing is as good as either one of these players and time will only tell,Channing is a quality athlete as was these other players but he has lots more than these others his size and anyone that watched him has to see/know this.
Maybe you just might have RED color glasses on if you can't see this did you ever think that,yes BLUE and RED are not bad colors but we do like both colors not just RED.

You lost me after your first sentence...try again.
King Leonidas Wrote:. Howard had offers for larger schools such as Marshall and WKU but chose to stay close at home.

Yeah since Marshall is so far away, and I doubt he was offered by WKU. Doug Howard was a good High School football player who didn't have the size to play in college. He wasn't that fast but was a good player. Why get on a kid that has the size and speed to make. About being a winner, he has made it to the Semi State and a State runner-up and still has one more year left. He has played and won alot of ball games and scored alot of Touchdowns in 3 years. Time will tell on where he goes to school but I am tired of this Doug Howard stuff.

Definately offered by WKU and Marshall

Never got on Fugate..just pointed out the blaring flaws in someone's outlandish arguement.

State Championships is what it is all about... Jones and Howard did it in a 4 class system, Fugate should at the very least be able to do it in a 6 class one.
Crazy Horse Wrote:There are running backs in D1 that are as quick as Channing and run around and through defensive players. Why can't Channing. Everyone needs to just quit being jealous and support the next great talent from the mountains. At the next level he is going to be representing us.

Channing isn't what gets on anyone's nerves. He is a phenominal player and should certainly find a spot on a very good college team's roster somewhere (whether it be RB or not).

Breathitt fans who have crowned him the Savior of mountain football is where everyone's issue lies.
bobcatlunatik Wrote:so ur tellin me doug howard was 6'3" tall weighed 230 lbs and could run a 4.6 in 40. and u say he is as strong so he benched 300 lbs his jr. year along with squating well ove 300 closer to 400 his jr. year srry but i dont c tht happening he migh be faster but he was no where near the power. and channing dont face 7 or 8 guys in the box because as soon as the ball is hiked he is already in the 2 level of defense.

also just scooped this up
5-10 205 pound Sr. Doug Howard carried the ball 165 times for 1790 yards with 26 touchdowns. 5-10 179 pound Sr. David Jones gained 1621 yards with 28 touchdowns on 142 carries. they barely beat channing alone with two of them running the ball

Ask any Belfry fan in the know (mrfootball, joethegreek, bucslover) and you will find out Howard was benching 300 lbs his Freshman season.

You also illustrated two very good points about Jones and Howard... not only did each have very successful careers despite splitting carries (actually three ways as they also had Childress and rarely seeing the field in the 2nd Half), but they also both did it when opposing teams knew they were going to the run ball. Seven or eight in the box was an understatement, try 10 in the box most of their Senior season.

If Fugate wins a State Title then all is validated and he instantly becomes mentioned with these players, until then there is no debate.

Just because Zack lewis and Ricky Bowling broke Couch's records by no means put them in the same league as him. It's not about what your stats are, but how you get them.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Ask any Belfry fan in the know (mrfootball, joethegreek, bucslover) and you will find out Howard was benching 300 lbs his Freshman season.

You also illustrated two very good points about Jones and Howard... not only did each have very successful careers despite splitting carries (actually three ways as they also had Childress and rarely seeing the field in the 2nd Half), but they also both did it when opposing teams knew they were going to the run ball. Seven or eight in the box was an understatement, try 10 in the box most of their Senior season.

If Fugate wins a State Title then all is validated and he instantly becomes mentioned with these players, until then there is no debate.

Just because Zack lewis and Ricky Bowling broke Couch's records by no means put them in the same league as him. It's not about what your stats are, but how you get them.

I don't know what got Zach Lewis in this conversation but let me tell you this. Lewis got his stats the right way, thru hard work and dedication. He did it the right way and earned everything he got.
EKU, ask Couch if he thinks Lewis is in the same league with him as far as playing the quarterback position in high school. He will tell you in no uncertain terms Lewis was the closest thing to him that he had seen as far as high school. College, probably not, but we won't know for 4-5 years. He requested several tapes of Lewis and helped in his recruiting. Bowling didn't break any of Couch records and his coach was reprimanded for his tactics in trying to get Bowling the TD record.
As far as Fugate, know one on here knows weather he will be high D-1 or not. This year's summer camps will shed more light. My opinion is he is a very good player who will likely play defense in college.
Zach Lewis is going to Morehead and he is not in the same league as COUCH was in High School. Just like my opinion is saying that Doug Howard is not in the same league as Channing Fugate as an overall player.
fan first Wrote:I don't know what got Zach Lewis in this conversation but let me tell you this. Lewis got his stats the right way, thru hard work and dedication. He did it the right way and earned everything he got.
EKU, ask Couch if he thinks Lewis is in the same league with him as far as playing the quarterback position in high school. He will tell you in no uncertain terms Lewis was the closest thing to him that he had seen as far as high school. College, probably not, but we won't know for 4-5 years. He requested several tapes of Lewis and helped in his recruiting. Bowling didn't break any of Couch records and his coach was reprimanded for his tactics in trying to get Bowling the TD record.
As far as Fugate, know one on here knows weather he will be high D-1 or not. This year's summer camps will shed more light. My opinion is he is a very good player who will likely play defense in college.

Couch redefined Kentucky high school football... he was arguably the most sought after player in the country. Couch also accumulated stats against top notch competition. Lewis was a fantastic HS player but to compare the competition he got his numbers against is laughable.

Lewis is one of the best QB's to come out of EKY... but Couch is one of the best high school players NATIONALLY.
King Leonidas Wrote:Zach Lewis is going to Morehead and he is not in the same league as COUCH was in High School. Just like my opinion is saying that Doug Howard is not in the same league as Channing Fugate as an overall player.
Everyone knows why Lewis is going to Morehead. It was on all the TV stations.
He was offered a greyshirt at Ky. Should he have taken it so people such as you can validate his talent or career. Would Marshall, Ohio, or Kent been ok to put him in the same league as Couch.
IMO Couch was the best QB to come out of Ky. Do I think Lewis is as good, no I don't. Is Lewis in his league as a high school Qb? According to most of the coaches who saw both, yes. That is the opinion that is closer to reality than anyones.
Does the same go for Fugate? Does he have to sign with a BCS school to prove that he can play? Is it Ky or bust?
The point is, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. But as far as high school football, Fugate as well as Lewis are both "big league players" and the mountain people are behind them 100%
I am behind every player from the Mountains that goes to college!!! Even though I don't agree that Couch and Lewis are in the same league. Fugate and Lewis are both Good High School players. Fugate still has one more year.Couch was the NFL#1 draft pick though!
congrats to channing in whatever he does. He is a great player, and will be a help to anyone who recruits him.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Definately offered by WKU and Marshall

Never got on Fugate..just pointed out the blaring flaws in someone's outlandish arguement.

State Championships is what it is all about... Jones and Howard did it in a 4 class system, Fugate should at the very least be able to do it in a 6 class one.

Why do people keep bringing up State Titles when it comes to vaildating a player? Shaun Alexander never won one. Neither did Couch and a ton of other legit players. There are also tons of guys that won title that did not go on to do much past HS.
I dont think you have to win state titles to go Division 1.
barrel Wrote:Why do people keep bringing up State Titles when it comes to vaildating a player? Shaun Alexander never won one. Neither did Couch and a ton of other legit players. There are also tons of guys that won title that did not go on to do much past HS.

Yeah u dont need to win state titles to be a great player
i think channing is an awesome player just like the rest of you, but you have to give most of the credit to his o-line(bailey, little, moore, mcKnight, and roberts). if it had not been for them bustin their tales trying to win games, channing wouldnt have had so much sucess. they didnt care who made the plays, as long as they. my hat goes off to this offencive line. :Clap:
channing will go somewhere good
Channing is a Division 1 type player
Channing will probably go D-1
Channing is a good player
bhs all the way Wrote:i think channing is an awesome player just like the rest of you, but you have to give most of the credit to his o-line(bailey, little, moore, mcKnight, and roberts). if it had not been for them bustin their tales trying to win games, channing wouldnt have had so much sucess. they didnt care who made the plays, as long as they. my hat goes off to this offencive line. :Clap:

GREAT POINT! He has an amazing o-line but because of that he will go D-1. I'm not saying USC or Oklahoma, but somewhere like Iowa State, UK, UofL. I will say this, IMO he will go to a big conference. SEC, ACC, Big Ten, Big 12. It will be one of the smaller programs in the conferences but he will go there. Now, at what position, I do not know. He is an amazing defender, and an amazing halfback. Everyone is saying that he is not fast enough, look what Crazy Horse posted earlier in the post. Knowshaun Moreno, and Chris Wells bot ran 4.6 40s. Both of these guys are the top two backs in this years NFL draft. Channing runs a 4.7, almost behind those guys so don't say that he is not fast. As far as being not as athletic as them, if you've watched Channing play, you will know that he is just as athletic as anybody. Especially with that huge body. He can play D-1 at any position, its just up too him when he is signing that full ride on which schools are offering him what.
Channing received letters from three colleges today-Dartmouth, Louisville, and Illinois. He also sent a highlight video to another coach that is interested.
He also received a letter from UK about 2 weeks ago.