Poll: Who wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Russell
61.36%
Mason County
38.64%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mason County @ Russell - Oct 24
Smile Smile Smile Smile Instead of Midee 1 maybe it should be Fiery1 Big Grin

Good luck Friday Devils.
Midee1 Wrote:No comment....

You shut up. You forget I know where you live and who your wife and kids are.

I also know where you live and who your wife and kids are too.

Everyone stay quiet and everyone stays safe....Smile
Hence the "Dark Wing Duck"!
RUSSELL RED DEVILS
kybaseball Wrote::flame:

I figured it was along those lines.Smile Smile Smile Did anyone call PETA?Smile sorry Midee 1

Please tell me it wasn't him that set the scoreboard on fire a few years back.:flame:

In my defense everything they are accusing me was all tied together. The small smoldering fire was started but the nest that said bird vacated earlier in the game.
FBALL Wrote:The Russell fans are spoiled. Instead of complaining here is a positive post that you would see from almost every other school in the state if they had our record.

Drew Abrams needs only 51 yards to go over 1000 yards for the season.

Russell is undefeated in district play and plays for the district championship this Friday.

I think this should give any group of fans something to cheer for.

I agree that there is a lot to be happy about when looking at the big picture. We just get off on a few negative tangents every now and then by posting what we are thinking on here. In reality, all of our comments mean little and we will all still be cheering for the team to win every Friday.

What some would see as "spoiled", though, others would see as "high expectations" that I think have to exist for a program to continually be good. I would think these players would have high expectations of themselves. After all, this senior class has won 1 state title game, played in another state title game, and lost in the quarterfinals once. The record they have seen Russell accumulate since their names have been on the roster has been 44-7. Granted, not all of them got playing time as freshmen, but that is where the expectations have been set. Those should then bleed over to the next generation and the next and so on and so on.

No doubt, I think Drew Abrams is a terrific running back and deserves to be commended for getting 1000 yards. That will be 2 seasons in a row for him going over 1000 yards and I am glad to see it because he works as hard as anyone. I also think it is great that we may come away with another district championship. However, is it being "spoiled" or is it having "high expectations" for me to expect that we should have a 1000 yard back every year given the offense we run? Is it being "spoiled" or having "high expectations" for me to expect that we shouldn't stop at a district championship?
This is going back to the defensive part of the thread.
Deviloligist hit the nail on the head about the line play. I will also add that both SK and Ashland were pulling backside G,T or both quite a bit of the time, especially Ashland, overloading our guys and blowing our line off the ball and into our linebackers. Our LB's have had to fight through their own guys all season long, and thus why you see evry few tackles @ the line of scrimmage or behind. I think its time the team just let loose and play football.
kybaseball Wrote:Smile Smile Smile Smile Instead of Midee 1 maybe it should be Fiery1 Big Grin

Good luck Friday Devils.

FRIDEE1 would be more appropriate.....Big Grin
Midee1 Wrote:FRIDEE1 would be more appropriate.....Big Grin

I just read through the entire thread and the thought I can't get out of mind is some fan from a visiting team making their first trip to Russell. The Devils score, the scoreboard goes off, and suddenly this fan has a chargrilled sparrow in their lap. If that isn't rolling out the welcome mat I don't know what is! HAHA
FBALL Wrote:Here is my hopes for the rest of the season.

The Russell fans are spoiled. Instead of complaining here is a positive post that you would see from almost every other school in the state if they had our record.

Russell is 6-2 and a contender in 3A. The only losses came to a very good 5A team in a rivalry game. The other loss was to a good 6A that is battle tested and plays against a very good team every week in Northern KY.

Russell is undefeated in district play and plays for the district championship this Friday.

No 3A team has definitively proven that they are in a class of their own thusfr this year. Across the board it seems to be a year of great parity and Russell has just as good of a shot as anyone at this point. A win over Mason County makes as strong of a case that Russell will contend for the title as any other win a 3A team has had.

In terms of defense, the agrressive, disruptive defense is a double edged sword when talking about Belfry. When the Josh Wills led defense shut Belfry out they typically hit the RB before the ball got handed off... Belfry had no chance in that game except to pass the football. Conversely, just like you pointed out with Breathitt,,, if you don't have the strength, conditioning, and tackling ability.. then Belfry might hang 60 on you.

The one defense which will never work against Belfry is to simply wait for the play to come to the defense. Belfry's line will ultimately create a 2-3 yard surge and Belfry's backs are good enough to gain an extra couple yards a play on top of that. If Belfry gains 4-5 yards a carry then haywood will have a big smile on his face because he will take drives like that all night.

I personally think Russell has everything needed to disrupt Belfry's backfield, but they will DEFINATELY have to improve tackling. The one thing you never would want to see is Ivan Lee at full speed in the secondary.
jgrubby Wrote:I know in games past the sound systems that we had kinda gave the stadium some magic. We rely on the PA and it really doesn't give that kinda atmosphere. Im talking about concert quality sound . Next we need a real chant from the crowd. The ole "R-u-s-s-e-l-l go fight win" is really not doing it anymore. The cheerleaders have really gotten away from the crowd and its more tumble world than crowd involvement. The best we had in a while was "ICE CREAM AND CAKE"! (GO DEVILOLOGIST!!!) Horns and bells, clackers etc.. help but the crowd rarely gets on thier feet and roars. They really respond to that. this is a perticipating sport. Home crowds should control the game. When the Boo's come around its the most livily some of us get.
:flame: :Wave:
We need something to fire them up (crowd). Pregame also needs something. Heck, even the wave would be cool. LOL.

You obiously do not set by me at the games. Russell fans are great followers, but they are completely dead when it comes to being loud and cheering for there team. :Cheerlead
The only thing I can say about the playoffs is that both teams Russell has lost to this season would win 3A. There is not doubt in my mind about that.
Midee1 Wrote:In my defense everything they are accusing me was all tied together. The small smoldering fire was started but the nest that said bird vacated earlier in the game.

I'd say that bird vacated alright.Big Grin :flame:
ryanparker Wrote:I agree that there is a lot to be happy about when looking at the big picture. We just get off on a few negative tangents every now and then by posting what we are thinking on here. In reality, all of our comments mean little and we will all still be cheering for the team to win every Friday.

What some would see as "spoiled", though, others would see as "high expectations" that I think have to exist for a program to continually be good. I would think these players would have high expectations of themselves. After all, this senior class has won 1 state title game, played in another state title game, and lost in the quarterfinals once. The record they have seen Russell accumulate since their names have been on the roster has been 44-7. Granted, not all of them got playing time as freshmen, but that is where the expectations have been set. Those should then bleed over to the next generation and the next and so on and so on.

No doubt, I think Drew Abrams is a terrific running back and deserves to be commended for getting 1000 yards. That will be 2 seasons in a row for him going over 1000 yards and I am glad to see it because he works as hard as anyone. I also think it is great that we may come away with another district championship. However, is it being "spoiled" or is it having "high expectations" for me to expect that we should have a 1000 yard back every year given the offense we run? Is it being "spoiled" or having "high expectations" for me to expect that we shouldn't stop at a district championship?

I think Russell should have "high expectations" every year. Some years you might not live up them though. This is where the spoiled part comes in. Some Russell fans, not all, expect a blowout win every game and if they don't get it is always the players aren't good enough or poor coaching or some kind of excuse. They cheer during the high times but don't really back their team when things don't go our way. I'm not against being critical of the team or coaching staff. I have criticized some of the things I have seen. But I will always contiune to support and try to turn the negatives into something to learn from.

There is a big difference between spoiled and high expectations.
Beetle01 Wrote:The only thing I can say about the playoffs is that both teams Russell has lost to this season would win 3A. There is not doubt in my mind about that.

I agree with this. I think if SK or Ashland either one were in 3A they would be a heavy favorite to win it all.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:No 3A team has definitively proven that they are in a class of their own thusfr this year. Across the board it seems to be a year of great parity and Russell has just as good of a shot as anyone at this point. A win over Mason County makes as strong of a case that Russell will contend for the title as any other win a 3A team has had.

In terms of defense, the agrressive, disruptive defense is a double edged sword when talking about Belfry. When the Josh Wills led defense shut Belfry out they typically hit the RB before the ball got handed off... Belfry had no chance in that game except to pass the football. Conversely, just like you pointed out with Breathitt,,, if you don't have the strength, conditioning, and tackling ability.. then Belfry might hang 60 on you.

The one defense which will never work against Belfry is to simply wait for the play to come to the defense. Belfry's line will ultimately create a 2-3 yard surge and Belfry's backs are good enough to gain an extra couple yards a play on top of that. If Belfry gains 4-5 yards a carry then haywood will have a big smile on his face because he will take drives like that all night.

I personally think Russell has everything needed to disrupt Belfry's backfield, but they will DEFINATELY have to improve tackling. The one thing you never would want to see is Ivan Lee at full speed in the secondary.

That 05 defense was a different animal. They had speed and power and were very aggressive. Wills was like a coach on the field. He and Clark were two of the best defensive players to ever play at Russell IMO. They also were a close knit group that played hard for each other and had a nasty streak to them. But even that team had their moments when things did not go there way. Hence the loss to Boyd County that year.

This years team needs to attack. Part of it on the players though. If you have a chance to make a play make it.

I think Russell has the ability to beat any team in 3A. Only time will tell though. Belfry is a tough match up for them. The defense would have to improve. To me right now it is more mental than anything. You can play your assignments and still make plays.
FBALL Wrote:Here is my hopes for the rest of the season.

The Russell fans are spoiled. Instead of complaining here is a positive post that you would see from almost every other school in the state if they had our record.

Russell is 6-2 and a contender in 3A. The only losses came to a very good 5A team in a rivalry game. The other loss was to a good 6A that is battle tested and plays against a very good team every week in Northern KY.

He should get it, he is only playing one way this week since bailey is out.
Mason County by 10.
FBALL Wrote:That 05 defense was a different animal. They had speed and power and were very aggressive. Wills was like a coach on the field. He and Clark were two of the best defensive players to ever play at Russell IMO. They also were a close knit group that played hard for each other and had a nasty streak to them. But even that team had their moments when things did not go there way. Hence the loss to Boyd County that year.

This years team needs to attack. Part of it on the players though. If you have a chance to make a play make it.

I think Russell has the ability to beat any team in 3A. Only time will tell though. Belfry is a tough match up for them. The defense would have to improve. To me right now it is more mental than anything. You can play your assignments and still make plays.
I'm pretty sure he was talking about the 2006 Defense that Shut Belfry out. A Defense that IMO was better than the 2005 Defense.

The 2005 Offense was superior to the 2006 offense though IMO.
DevilsWin Wrote:I'm pretty sure he was talking about the 2006 Defense that Shut Belfry out. A Defense that IMO was better than the 2005 Defense.

The 2005 Offense was superior to the 2006 offense though IMO.
Yep. I was actually talking about the 06 defense too. Brain cramp. Alot of the same players on the 05 and 06 version though.
Yea that 06 defense held MERGER to only 15 points after they averaged 50 some a game..That was a feat in itself......
Romans 14:11
It is written: " 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.' "
highschoolfootballfan Wrote:He should get it, he is only playing one way this week since bailey is out.

I think Dave is going to try and play some limited minutes and see how his foot feels. He didn't have any pain last night and I was putting as much pressure on it as I could, and he can run on it. The doc said he could go, but recommended to think about not playing, because the same injury could end his season, but we are also not playing on turf. If he was a linemen it wouldn't be as big a deal, but hispositions require him to be able to run unimpeded at full speed. So I guess we'll see how it goes tonight. If this wasn't for the district championship he'd probably just take the week off, but there is alot at stake tonight.
Beetle01 Wrote:I think Dave is going to try and play some limited minutes and see how his foot feels. He didn't have any pain last night and I was putting as much pressure on it as I could, and he can run on it. The doc said he could go, but recommended to think about not playing, because the same injury could end his season, but we are also not playing on turf. If he was a linemen it wouldn't be as big a deal, but hispositions require him to be able to run unimpeded at full speed. So I guess we'll see how it goes tonight. If this wasn't for the district championship he'd probably just take the week off, but there is alot at stake tonight.

That's a tough call. We need him for the remainder of the season, but we need this game tonight pretty badly...and he is an extremely important part of us having a chance to win. Tonight's game looks like it's going to be a mudder, though. Can we beat this Mason County team with power running and giving it to Abrams 30 times? Anyone know how the new field should hold up?
Russell 35

Mason County 34
Russell-35
Mason-14

yea I am going out on a limb......... or in the mud one!!!!
Romans 14:11
It is written: " 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.' "
Russell 28
Mason County 20..
Russell 27
Mason 20
Russell by 2 points!
Rain, wind and mud will effect Mason County much more than Russell. Mason likes to spread you out and use motion to create running and passing lanes. This weather is going to force the game to be a slug out on the line of scrimmage. I believe this works to Russell's advantage. They Royals must alter their game plan while Russell just does what they normally do.

It will also be interesting to see how the new bermuda turf holds up. This is the best the field has looked this deep into the season in a long time. It gets a big durability test tonight.
This will be an intense game!!!
Twitter: @tc_analytics

LETS GO RED DEVILS