Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2023-2026 Football Realignment
Bump..
Any hearing anything? Last day to submit any forms..
2A enrollment Belfry will play up in 3A.
(12-22-2022, 04:03 PM)bucslover68 Wrote: 2A enrollment Belfry will play up in 3A.
I know Pike Central, Shelby Valley, East Ridge, Pike Central, and Floyd Central are all happy with that decision. Who do you think will replace Pike Central and Floyd Central in the district? Possibly Russell and East Carter with Ashland and Greenup moving to 4a
Possibly Belfry Lawrence Morgan Magoffin . Could be different though.
I was gonna say i thought back in the 80's Nicholas, Paris, Fairview and Raceland were in the same district. I played at former MMI and I know that we had to play all those teams and I thought we were in the same district as them. Im probably wrong
(12-22-2022, 11:27 PM)bucslover68 Wrote: Possibly Belfry Lawrence Morgan Magoffin .  Could be different though.
Not surprised Belfry decided to stay in 3A.  Hoping the Pirates get back to their winning ways come fall.
(12-08-2022, 11:08 PM)plantmanky Wrote:
(12-08-2022, 01:44 AM)TheOracle Wrote:
(12-06-2022, 08:26 PM)bo67 Wrote: Cov Cath sees the writing on the wall. Highlands on their way back

That's inevitably what people are going to say about the fact that CCH having no intention to request to play up in 5A. It is what it is. But it's not the fact of the matter.

The fact of the matter is that prior to any knowledge of whether Highlands would or wouldn't be a 5A school, CCH knew from their enrollment numbers that they were going to be a 4A school and more than likely not a very big 4A school. They're right in the middle of 4A. They have not been hiding the fact that they aren't going to be playing up because they know enrollment in Catholic schools in the diocese is low and they are very possibly going to be getting even smaller than their current 470 enrollment. They're doing what's best for their program, and what's best for their program is not playing up in 5A.

It's not like Boyle County is going to be any easier to beat for a state championship than Highlands is. And if you don't think CCH is going to keep scheduling Highlands during the regular season you're kidding yourself.

People 'gonna talk. Let them talk.

Add in St. Henry starting football and Cov Cath will be a 3A team very soon.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that's impossible, but I don't think it's necessarily likely. Holy Cross started their football program back in the late 90s and had zero impact on CCH's enrollment and football roster size. Brossart added a football program back in 2007 and CCH's roster size was unchanged, and their school enrollment was at the beginning of a decade-long increase.

I think it would be foolish to say that there won't be any impact at all with St. Henry adding a football program, but I think in the end it won't have much impact overall. St. Henry is a smaller school in enrollment and in the size of their building. I don't see them drawing dozens of major impact players away from CCH until they start showing some real and consistent success on the football field. Let's be honest, Holy Cross is closer geographically to CCH and has never managed to consistently have success. And Brossart schedules small programs and recently has started doing well against east regular season schedules, but then they get boat-raced out of the playoffs in the first or second round.
(12-28-2022, 07:34 PM)TheOracle Wrote:
(12-08-2022, 11:08 PM)plantmanky Wrote:
(12-08-2022, 01:44 AM)TheOracle Wrote:
(12-06-2022, 08:26 PM)bo67 Wrote: Cov Cath sees the writing on the wall. Highlands on their way back

That's inevitably what people are going to say about the fact that CCH having no intention to request to play up in 5A. It is what it is. But it's not the fact of the matter.

The fact of the matter is that prior to any knowledge of whether Highlands would or wouldn't be a 5A school, CCH knew from their enrollment numbers that they were going to be a 4A school and more than likely not a very big 4A school. They're right in the middle of 4A. They have not been hiding the fact that they aren't going to be playing up because they know enrollment in Catholic schools in the diocese is low and they are very possibly going to be getting even smaller than their current 470 enrollment. They're doing what's best for their program, and what's best for their program is not playing up in 5A.

It's not like Boyle County is going to be any easier to beat for a state championship than Highlands is. And if you don't think CCH is going to keep scheduling Highlands during the regular season you're kidding yourself.

People 'gonna talk. Let them talk.

Add in St. Henry starting football and Cov Cath will be a 3A team very soon.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that's impossible, but I don't think it's necessarily likely. Holy Cross started their football program back in the late 90s and had zero impact on CCH's enrollment and football roster size. Brossart added a football program back in 2007 and CCH's roster size was unchanged, and their school enrollment was at the beginning of a decade-long increase.

I think it would be foolish to say that there won't be any impact at all with St. Henry adding a football program, but I think in the end it won't have much impact overall. St. Henry is a smaller school in enrollment and in the size of their building. I don't see them drawing dozens of major impact players away from CCH until they start showing some real and consistent success on the football field. Let's be honest, Holy Cross is closer geographically to CCH and has never managed to consistently have success. And Brossart schedules small programs and recently has started doing well against east regular season schedules, but then they get boat-raced out of the playoffs in the first or second round.

St Henry would be what 2A, 3A at max, they should compete at that level.   Heck this may be a win for Cov Cath, may be able to drop down to 3A in next enrollment cycle.    Do I expect some strong powerhouse team from St. Henry no, but competing with at least its NKY area teams, sure. 

BTW Brossart effected NCC, specifically once Brossart got past the first few years. 
I think St Henry starting football will attract some of the players from Boone County that have been sending their kids to CCH and Beechwood. I never really thought that Holy Cross was in competition with CCH for players.
Plus , some of the ones that might have gone to CCH might pick St Henry so they can play basketball and football. Not many kids play both sports at CCH.
I think St Henry is sitting in a good spot location wise and what they offer as a private Catholic school to become a top level team in about 3-4 years of playing varsity. Of course, getting the right coach will be a huge factor in their success.
Pikeville going to stay in 1A or go up
Pikeville stays put
Here's my guess for the new Class A after realignment:

I believe Trimble County will elect to play up to 2A and Bracken County will agree to drop down to 1A.

District 1: Ballard Memorial, Caverna, Fulton County, Russellville
District 2: Bethlehem, Campbellsville, Holy Cross (L), KCD
District 3: Ludlow, Holy Cross ©, Newport, Newport Central Catholic
District 4: Bellevue, Bishop Brossart, Bracken County, Dayton
District 5: Eminence, Frankfort, Nicholas County, Paris
District 6: Berea, Lynn Camp, Sayre, Williamsburg
District 7: Harlan, Hazard, Middlesboro, Pineville
District 8: Fairview, Paintsville, Pikeville, Raceland
Idk why some of you think Pikeville and Raceland would be in the same district. It’s never happened in history and is very unlikely to happen now. Just look at the old Raceland district of Fairview Nichols and Pairs. That’s what you will likely see. I can see Paintsville going into Pikevilles district before Raceland would
(01-05-2023, 01:41 PM)Buffs19 Wrote: Here's my guess for the new Class A after realignment:

I believe Trimble County will elect to play up to 2A and Bracken County will agree to drop down to 1A.

District 1:  Ballard Memorial, Caverna, Fulton County, Russellville
District 2:  Bethlehem, Campbellsville, Holy Cross (L), KCD
District 3:  Ludlow, Holy Cross ©, Newport, Newport Central Catholic
District 4:  Bellevue, Bishop Brossart, Bracken County, Dayton
District 5:  Eminence, Frankfort, Nicholas County, Paris
District 6:  Berea, Lynn Camp, Sayre, Williamsburg
District 7:  Harlan, Hazard, Middlesboro, Pineville
District 8:  Fairview, Paintsville, Pikeville, Raceland
This looks about right to me
(01-05-2023, 01:51 PM)RAMDAD50 Wrote: Idk why some of you think Pikeville and Raceland would be in the same district. It’s never happened in history and is very unlikely to happen now. Just look at the old Raceland district of Fairview Nichols and Pairs. That’s what you will likely see. I can see Paintsville going into Pikevilles district before Raceland would

From a geographic perspective, it would make sense given the 32 teams that will make up Class A in this realignment.  Just because it hasn't happened in the past doesn't mean it won't happen in the future.  Sayre is in the mix now, and I'm sure they'll be removed from their current district with Hazard and Pikeville. 

I think Sayre will go in a district with Berea, Lynn Camp, and Williamsburg because those school are easily accessible from I-75.  Then you put the Southeastern Mountain schools together in a district with Harlan, Hazard, Middlesboro, and Pineville.  It just makes sense to me, strategically, to put Fairvew, Paintsville, Pikeville, and Raceland together based on their accessibility to US 23.  

But again, this is just my opinion.
Makes sense to me too.. That's the issue with KHSAA making 6A and 1A 32 teams. With 8 Districts, there's not much wiggle room geographically as far as districts go.. You may have a 5 team and a 3 team district, but that's it..
Wonder what 3A will look like?
3A should be fun. Louisville Central, CAL, Belfry, Lexington Catholic, and possibly LCA.
(01-02-2023, 12:28 AM)Scotty_Bronson Wrote: Pikeville stays put
Thank God,,,, LOL
They are going to put Raceland Paintsville and Pikeville in the same district and let them play home and away games that way they have 4 games each then they can pick up 6 other games which will be Trinity Male St X and Boyle Corbin Johnson Central sounds fair to me and Ram A Devil will come back
^^^^lol sounds like it’s goina shape up something similar sadly. Pikeville struggled getting games last year and currently Raceland has nothing other than Ashland and whatever district games come out of the realignment. I did hear Raceland is looking at some neutral site games with VA teams as well as some power schools from the western part of the state. Pikeville, Ironton, and Huntington have also been contacted. No one is goina run from anyone but I feel sorry for the ADs and HCs trying to make all of this mess work in like 5 months time.
Until the RPI is abolished or amended to a weighted system, lower class teams (especially good teams) will continue to have trouble filling their schedules. Higher class teams have no incentive to play lower class teams, especially Class A teams. It's sad, but we all know the RPI was created to increase the odds that St. X and Trinity play in the 6A state title game. What's funny is that that matchup has yet to happen since the inception of the RPI.
(01-06-2023, 05:26 PM)Buffs19 Wrote: Until the RPI is abolished or amended to a weighted system, lower class teams (especially good teams) will continue to have trouble filling their schedules.  Higher class teams have no incentive to play lower class teams, especially Class A teams.  It's sad, but we all know the RPI was created to increase the odds that St. X and Trinity play in the 6A state title game.  What's funny is that that matchup has yet to happen since the inception of the RPI.
This!
(01-06-2023, 05:26 PM)Buffs19 Wrote: Until the RPI is abolished or amended to a weighted system, lower class teams (especially good teams) will continue to have trouble filling their schedules.  Higher class teams have no incentive to play lower class teams, especially Class A teams.  It's sad, but we all know the RPI was created to increase the odds that St. X and Trinity play in the 6A state title game.  What's funny is that that matchup has yet to happen since the inception of the RPI.
No it wasn’t. It was adopted so that the 2 best teams would be playing in the state championship game and it’s been pretty successful at doing that. 

RPI may hurt with scheduling, but I don’t think there’s a perfect system that’ll satisfy everyone.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BlackcatAlum's post:
  • FootballFan1999
The RPI hurts with scheduling for small schools but has the RPI failed with producing great state championship games?

4 close competitive games this year.
6 last year.
[-] The following 1 user Likes FootballFan1999's post:
  • BlackcatAlum
The RPI will always need reevaluating and tweaking but it seems to be doing what it was intended to do, and that's to make sure the two best teams don't meet in the 3rd or 4th round and then have a terrible finals. Doesn't happen with every class every year but it has sure given us some great finals the last few years.
https://khsaa.org/2023-draft-football-al...ideration/

Here’s the realignment for final consideration from the KHSAA website.
Assland and JC back in the same district will be fun
Official: KHSAA football realignment will be effective ONLY for 2023 and 2024 seasons. Jason Frakes tweeted that out. It's due to the skewed numbers because of covid.
West Carter tried to go back down to 2A after requesting to play up in 3A and the request was denied.