Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Class 2A Semifinals: Breathitt @ Somerset
Don't underestimate Bunnies ground game. Breathitt better than many are giving them credit for but Somerset wins by 10
Love to see Breathitt on the rise and playing in week 4 of the post season! I’m afraid tho, Somerset is probably the end of the road for this season.
I have said it all year, and I'm not backing off of it now, "Breathitt can play with anyone in 2A". With that being said, I'm not predicting a Bobcat win, but the bobcats have a "punchers chance" in this match up. If the Bobcats are going to pull off the upset, they must continue to be opportunistic on defense. The Bobcat defense has created a lot of turnovers this year, while playing a "bend, but don't break" style of defense. If Breathitt is going to compete with Somerset, it's a must for the Bobcats to force the Briar Jumpers into multiple turnovers. If Somerset doesn't turn the ball over, it could be a long ride back to Jackson. On the flip side, Breathitt can't afford to turn the ball over, either. If we turn the ball over multiple times, this game could get ugly. So, at the end of the day, we must limit our own turnovers, while forcing the Briar Jumpers into turnovers, to have a chance.

Another thing that sticks out to me is the Bobcats inability to cover the "flats" this year. If this isn't cleaned up, Somerset could expose us in this area of the field. I think we cover the deep ball well, but short, to intermediate routes have given us problems this year. I look for this to be a point of emphasis this week, and hopefully improvements will be made. My last concern is "are the bobcats in game shape". What I mean by this is, how effective will the Bobcats be in a four quarter game, against a very good opponent. We all know, the Bobcats only played in two games all year, where the starters have played all four quarters of football. Breathitt may not be as beat up as other teams, but can they play four quarters of football at the highest level when it matters most. I observed the Bobcats to look fatigued at the end of the Walton-Verona game. Hopefully, that game helped prepare us for the Briar Jumpers, but I am concerned about this teams ability to play four quarters of competitive football.

I think Breathitt has a couple of things going for them, as well. First of all, I think Breathitt has the most "underrated" offensive line in 2A. Personally, I would put this line up against anyone in 2A. These guys can play, and they have improved with each passing week. They have a good mix of speed, size, and strength and I think the Briar Jumpers are going to be surprised by the skill set this line possesses. It doesn't hurt to have one of the best running backs in the state, in C.A. Collins running behind the "Big Blue Wave". Collins is dynamic and in my opinion, he will be the best running back Somerset has faced. So with all of that being said, I think Breathitt will have success running the ball.

Breathitt has struggled stopping the run, against "old school" offenses that have a lot of misdirection in the backfield. No doubt, Somerset's offensive line will be the best offensive line the Bobcats have faced all year, but I like the fact that the Briar Jumpers run right at you, with out a lot of misdirection. As crazy as this sounds, I believe this actually may benefit the Bobcats, due to the linebackers not having to keep their eyes in the backfield for extended period of time, and they can just react, rather than think too much, which usually gets you out of position to make a play. Regardless, I feel like Somerset will be able to move the ball on Breathitt, but I think their running style, will allow us to slow them down.

At the end of the day, regardless of the outcome of this game, I am proud of the fact that Breathitt County football is back on the map. I am not going to lie, three or four years ago, I didn't know if it would ever happen, and if it did happen, I never would have dreamed it would happen this fast. This is a testament of all of the hard work, Coach Moore and his staff have put into this program. Also, we can thank all of the coaches and parents that have been involved in the Lumberjack program, and the success it will be bringing us in the near future. I'm just thrilled to know that Breathitt football is back!!
CowboyDad Wrote:There will be video so for those unable to make the journey, find us on Facebook.

The color guy for SHS on Lake Cumberland Sports...he’s a dork Big Grin

I will take anyone over the guy from Breathitt on Bluegrass Sports Nation. So annoying constantly bragging about his kid who is a pretty good player but no where near the level his dad thinks he is.
wolfcat Wrote:I will take anyone over the guy from Breathitt on Bluegrass Sports Nation. So annoying constantly bragging about his kid who is a pretty good player but no where near the level his dad thinks he is.

Lake Cumberland Sports does a great job. They are obviously Somerset fans but much like our radio crew on 106.1, they try to make it so that fans from opposing teams can enjoy watching and/or listening as well. I watched the first Somerset-LCA game on PrepSpin and it was painful. I finally just turned the sound off. My only critique for LCS, since I get the feeling they may be reading, it would be nice to see down and distance and time on their scoreboard.
Cat Daddy Wrote:I have said it all year, and I'm not backing off of it now, "Breathitt can play with anyone in 2A". With that being said, I'm not predicting a Bobcat win, but the bobcats have a "punchers chance" in this match up. If the Bobcats are going to pull off the upset, they must continue to be opportunistic on defense. The Bobcat defense has created a lot of turnovers this year, while playing a "bend, but don't break" style of defense. If Breathitt is going to compete with Somerset, it's a must for the Bobcats to force the Briar Jumpers into multiple turnovers. If Somerset doesn't turn the ball over, it could be a long ride back to Jackson. On the flip side, Breathitt can't afford to turn the ball over, either. If we turn the ball over multiple times, this game could get ugly. So, at the end of the day, we must limit our own turnovers, while forcing the Briar Jumpers into turnovers, to have a chance.

Another thing that sticks out to me is the Bobcats inability to cover the "flats" this year. If this isn't cleaned up, Somerset could expose us in this area of the field. I think we cover the deep ball well, but short, to intermediate routes have given us problems this year. I look for this to be a point of emphasis this week, and hopefully improvements will be made. My last concern is "are the bobcats in game shape". What I mean by this is, how effective will the Bobcats be in a four quarter game, against a very good opponent. We all know, the Bobcats only played in two games all year, where the starters have played all four quarters of football. Breathitt may not be as beat up as other teams, but can they play four quarters of football at the highest level when it matters most. I observed the Bobcats to look fatigued at the end of the Walton-Verona game. Hopefully, that game helped prepare us for the Briar Jumpers, but I am concerned about this teams ability to play four quarters of competitive football.

I think Breathitt has a couple of things going for them, as well. First of all, I think Breathitt has the most "underrated" offensive line in 2A. Personally, I would put this line up against anyone in 2A. These guys can play, and they have improved with each passing week. They have a good mix of speed, size, and strength and I think the Briar Jumpers are going to be surprised by the skill set this line possesses. It doesn't hurt to have one of the best running backs in the state, in C.A. Collins running behind the "Big Blue Wave". Collins is dynamic and in my opinion, he will be the best running back Somerset has faced. So with all of that being said, I think Breathitt will have success running the ball.

Breathitt has struggled stopping the run, against "old school" offenses that have a lot of misdirection in the backfield. No doubt, Somerset's offensive line will be the best offensive line the Bobcats have faced all year, but I like the fact that the Briar Jumpers run right at you, with out a lot of misdirection. As crazy as this sounds, I believe this actually may benefit the Bobcats, due to the linebackers not having to keep their eyes in the backfield for extended period of time, and they can just react, rather than think too much, which usually gets you out of position to make a play. Regardless, I feel like Somerset will be able to move the ball on Breathitt, but I think their running style, will allow us to slow them down.

At the end of the day, regardless of the outcome of this game, I am proud of the fact that Breathitt County football is back on the map. I am not going to lie, three or four years ago, I didn't know if it would ever happen, and if it did happen, I never would have dreamed it would happen this fast. This is a testament of all of the hard work, Coach Moore and his staff have put into this program. Also, we can thank all of the coaches and parents that have been involved in the Lumberjack program, and the success it will be bringing us in the near future. I'm just thrilled to know that Breathitt football is back!!
While I appreciate your positivity about the Bobcats I am more cautious. One season in which we did get 3 transfers and Slaughter coming back after transferring helps. If we see 2+ years of competitive play i will say that we have a solid program again.
Twitter: @tc_analytics

Somerset too much offense for Breathitt. Briar Jumpers 38 Bobcats 21
I think the Briar Jumpers head to Lexington, winning this one 28-14.
This one could be one of the better Semi final matchups. Still leaning toward Summerset.
TheBrahmaBull Wrote:While I appreciate your positivity about the Bobcats I am more cautious. One season in which we did get 3 transfers and Slaughter coming back after transferring helps. If we see 2+ years of competitive play i will say that we have a solid program again.
I promise it is coming back!!!! Within a couple years people will soon forget they were a mediocre program . This Bobcat Nation has so many athletes coming up not even funny. They will be well oiled machine year after year. But they will be so fundamentally sound at each position.
wolfcat Wrote:I will take anyone over the guy from Breathitt on Bluegrass Sports Nation. So annoying constantly bragging about his kid who is a pretty good player but no where near the level his dad thinks he is.

Is it the same guy who tried to say every point scored on BC was a fluke? I try not to judge a fan base off a few morons, especially on here. But that article really set wrong with me. I had nothing against BC before that. But since then, this ole hound will be rooting for the bunnies.

Either way BC don’t have what it takes to keep them off the boards. Somerset is battle tested, has solid talent on both ends, and will take this one by 24+.
Hound05 Wrote:Is it the same guy who tried to say every point scored on BC was a fluke? I try not to judge a fan base off a few morons, especially on here. But that article really set wrong with me. I had nothing against BC before that. But since then, this ole hound will be rooting for the bunnies.

Either way BC don’t have what it takes to keep them off the boards. Somerset is battle tested, has solid talent on both ends, and will take this one by 24+.

You just contradicted yourself!! You said you don't judge a fan base off of a few morons, but since reading a certain article, you are now rooting against the Bobcats. At the end of the day, the coaches and players can't control what is written about them in some meaningless article.
Cat Daddy Wrote:You just contradicted yourself!! You said you don't judge a fan base off of a few morons, but since reading a certain article, you are now rooting against the Bobcats. At the end of the day, the coaches and players can't control what is written about them in some meaningless article.
if I am not mistaken the guy you all are talking about I’m not even from Breathitt County. This is his first season here. And he sounds like a know it all. But I do not know him personally. Could be a great guy. There is a fine line between confidence and arrogance. Many people confuse the two

Looking at the other semi-final games, this is the toughest one for me to call. I feel good with my earlier prediction of 33-14 but since posting have watched some video on the Bobcats and now am leaning toward it possibly being a closer game.

As several have said, that 4th quarter could decide this game. Can the Bobcats keep rolling for 4 quarters? We know Somerset has had to play 4 quarters in a lot of games this year.

The Collins kid at BC is legit, but I think their passing game will have to step up to win this one. Somerset has multiple options running and receiving. Defensively, I give it to Somerset and defense wins championships. BC's D-line has done a great job rushing opposing QB's in the videos I watched but that's often where Somerset's QB thrives, he can run and create on the fly.

All throughout this thread one thing is consistent; BC has a star in Collins but Somerset has Sheron, Grundy, Bruner, Austin, Gilmore, etc., etc. I just don't see the upset coming. Either way this one will be fun to watch!
Hound05 Wrote:Is it the same guy who tried to say every point scored on BC was a fluke? I try not to judge a fan base off a few morons, especially on here. But that article really set wrong with me. I had nothing against BC before that. But since then, this ole hound will be rooting for the bunnies.

Good for you !!! but I guess you don’t like your head coach because he is from Breathitt and I guarantee he will be there rooting on the Bobcats . But honestly you let one person’s article who not even from BreAthitt and writing for Breathitt people no one else to see. So tell truth you didn’t like us anyway. Good thing I don’t judge Corbin fan base off you. Because I cheer for Corbin vs anybody other than Bobcats. Coach Haddix is awesome person and phenomenal coach that Redhounds are very lucky have.
I believe Somerset will be to much for Breathitt. I’ll go with Somerset by 21.
RoShamBo Wrote:Lake Cumberland Sports does a great job. They are obviously Somerset fans but much like our radio crew on 106.1, they try to make it so that fans from opposing teams can enjoy watching and/or listening as well. I watched the first Somerset-LCA game on PrepSpin and it was painful. I finally just turned the sound off. My only critique for LCS, since I get the feeling they may be reading, it would be nice to see down and distance and time on their scoreboard.

I’ll pass along that bit of info.

I picked on myself a little as I am that “dork” color guy and I’m for real a Somerset homer. I also try not to discredit whomever we play in the event a fan from another team might be listening/watching. What I hope is that we reach quite a few Bobcats who may not be able to make the drive to Somerset to watch.

I haven’t a clue what to expect. All I do know is that whatever the outcome, both teams have had excellent seasons.
13 games later Breathitt still hasn’t played anyone. With that being said I’ll take Somerset big.
Kade Grundy to me is the difference in this game.

I think Collins gets his, and obviously Sheron is a star.... but Grundy has been perhaps the biggest revelation of the year in Class 2A.

Not only is he a top shelf WR, he is an elite Defensive player. and a threat in Special Teams.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Kade Grundy to me is the difference in this game.

I think Collins gets his, and obviously Sheron is a star.... but Grundy has been perhaps the biggest revelation of the year in Class 2A.

Not only is he a top shelf WR, he is an elite Defensive player. and a threat in Special Teams.
Do not think he will have impact on special teams unless maybe on PR. Breathitt kicked it out of bounds on purpose every time against WV. There will be several talented players on the field Friday night. Wish the beat for all of them.

Cat Daddy Wrote:You just contradicted yourself!! You said you don't judge a fan base off of a few morons, but since reading a certain article, you are now rooting against the Bobcats. At the end of the day, the coaches and players can't control what is written about them in some meaningless article.

Umm did you not read where it said “I TRY NOT TO.... BUT”. And BUT, being the key word. The preposition Of the word BUT means apart from, except. Used as a noun it means an insult objection.

So nope, DIDN’T contradict myself at all actually. And the players and coaches can’t, that’s why I said the fan base. I wouldn’t ever root against a team because of a kid..... I bet that article wasn’t meaningless to the kids who DID score those points on BC. I bet it wouldn’t be meaningless if it put BCs players in a negative light the way it did others. But if you felt that article was meaningless, than a post coming from a a fan of either team with no connection would be even more meaningless to you, but you still felt the need to respond and react to it? Who is contradicting themselves now?

I’m not trying to be a prick or argue woth you, not will I. But to disparage another kids accomplishment to benefit your own self or team is LOW CLASS, and you can bet those kids saw it. So yes!! I will root for somerset and for every one of those “unearned” TDs scored on BC I Hope somerset scores 2. On paper it appears they might do it.
Statebound19 Wrote:Good for you !!! but I guess you don’t like your head coach because he is from Breathitt and I guarantee he will be there rooting on the Bobcats . But honestly you let one person’s article who not even from BreAthitt and writing for Breathitt people no one else to see. So tell truth you didn’t like us anyway. Good thing I don’t judge Corbin fan base off you. Because I cheer for Corbin vs anybody other than Bobcats. Coach Haddix is awesome person and phenomenal coach that Redhounds are very lucky have.
So I don’t like our head coach because he’s from a different team? Hahahahaha. Where and how did you make that correlation? I’ll be honest, I can’t understand what In the world you’re trying to say in the middle of your post but ok?? And nope had nothing against BC before that at all. In all honesty I never really thought about them. We don’t play anymore so they were irrelevant to me in that aspect. I honestly don’t care what you do based on my opinion, it changes nothing to me. One part I did understand and agree with, we are lucky to have haddix. Yes he’s a heck of a man and a good coach. But that still don’t take away what that man tried to take from other players. People can use the excuse that he’s not part of the program or whatever. But if an article like that ever made it in a corbin paper or media, which it would never be allowed, it would be retracted pretty soon afterwards. Pretty sure that one is still up, so either people agree, or just don’t want to tell him what’s right.
TheBrahmaBull Wrote:if I am not mistaken the guy you all are talking about I’m not even from Breathitt County. This is his first season here. And he sounds like a know it all. But I do not know him personally. Could be a great guy. There is a fine line between confidence and arrogance. Many people confuse the two

Yes this is his 1st year and hopefully last @ Breathitt. Even though his son is a solid above average HS player his dad just builds him up so much. I have spoken with several die-hard Bobcat fans who just try to avoid his drama. It is one thing to be proud of your son and support him but his cocky attitude leaves a bad impression on many to the detriment of his son who truly seems to be a decent kid.
CowboyDad Wrote:I’ll pass along that bit of info.

I picked on myself a little as I am that “dork” color guy and I’m for real a Somerset homer. I also try not to discredit whomever we play in the event a fan from another team might be listening/watching. What I hope is that we reach quite a few Bobcats who may not be able to make the drive to Somerset to watch.

I haven’t a clue what to expect. All I do know is that whatever the outcome, both teams have had excellent seasons.

I have listened a couple times this season and can honestly say you do a good job. Keep it up.
Hound05 Wrote:So I don’t like our head coach because he’s from a different team? Hahahahaha. Where and how did you make that correlation? I’ll be honest, I can’t understand what In the world you’re trying to say in the middle of your post but ok?? And nope had nothing against BC before that at all. In all honesty I never really thought about them. We don’t play anymore so they were irrelevant to me in that aspect. I honestly don’t care what you do based on my opinion, it changes nothing to me. One part I did understand and agree with, we are lucky to have haddix. Yes he’s a heck of a man and a good coach. But that still don’t take away what that man tried to take from other players. People can use the excuse that he’s not part of the program or whatever. But if an article like that ever made it in a corbin paper or media, which it would never be allowed, it would be retracted pretty soon afterwards. Pretty sure that one is still up, so either people agree, or just don’t want to tell him what’s right.
Like I said cheer for Somerset. Not hurting my feelings!!! The article you’re talking about, I have read many times to see what everyone is going on about. I see nothing that down grade another kid. So my advice to you is read more of the Lexington Herald or Times-Tribune .
Statebound19 Wrote:Like I said cheer for Somerset. Not hurting my feelings!!! The article you’re talking about, I have read many times to see what everyone is going on about. I see nothing that down grade another kid. So my advice to you is read more of the Lexington Herald or Times-Tribune .

Hahaha. Well the majority would disagree with you. What if I said “well BC has played a cupcake of a schedule to pad their RPI, all those games they won were really nothing so they don’t really deserve to be playing this round”. That’s pretty downgrading to a team of kids. And it’s the same thing. I would never say that or try to take anything away from kids.

But ok! I will root for them. If it doesn’t hurt your feelings why do you keep trying to justify it. I’m not gonna argue this with you anymore. Good luck to ya. 👍🏻
It been 11 years since the Bobcats has had practice on Thanksgiving. Out the 4 years Coach Moore played for Bobcats he was very fortunate to be practicing 2 of those thanksgiving .Now It just good to see that he now leading his Blue and White as Coach in to Final 4. Go Bobcats!!!! One More to Kroger !!! Bleed Blue 4-Life!!!!
Is BC doing anything special for their practice tomorrow?
Breathitt has not faced anyone on the level of Somerset. On the other hand Somerset has beat 6 Teams I think would beat Breathitt. I think Somerset comes out and hits Breathitt in the mouth. We then will see what they are made of. JMO
Good Luck this Friday night Breathitt County and Somerset and have a happy thanksgiving :Cheerlead