• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pikeville @ Middlesboro 9/26
Pikeville 49 middlesborro 21
I just had to do it for those that remember last year's thread

[Image: http://s27.postimg.org/3o6f1m5bn/mboro.jpg]
EKUAlum05 Wrote:I just had to do it for those that remember last year's thread

Oh Lawdy. Lol
Best of luck to the Panthers this Friday night as they travel to Middlesboro. Come on guys, You got this! 6-0 on the season baby!!!
EKUAlum05 Wrote:I just had to do it for those that remember last year's thread

I don't remember the culture shock excuse...

I do remember

The 16 hour bus ride driven in reverse

The strain of the Ecoli that was contracted from a Dairy Queen in Hyden en route to the game

A pack of bears attacking the team in the locker room just before kickoff

That pesky ozone layer

And of course....THE REFS!
You forgot traveling the last 20 miles in an ox pulled cart.
They forgot their bottled water back in Middlesboro and had to drink from a hose.
If Pugh plays I will go with:
Pikeville 42 Middlesboro 20

If Pugh is out I will go with:
Pikeville 35 Middlesboro 20
jetpilot Wrote:They forgot their bottled water back in Middlesboro and had to drink from a hose.

Fairly sure one of their Assistant Coaches caught dysentery somewhere along the Oregon trail on their way to that game.

Also McDonalds was out of Apple Pies and Middlesboro is 0-3 when the bus driver doesnt eat a hot apple pie before the game.
Did Cody Charles get eligible for Pikeville?
Middlesboro
Can't wait to hear Pikevilles excuses this year... I guess Williamsburg fans are right about you folks...
ThisIsIt14 Wrote:Can't wait to hear Pikevilles excuses this year... I guess Williamsburg fans are right about you folks...

Why would they have excuses? They kicked your ass last year.
I know that they are the best team ever in the Mts, I am A Williamsburg fan. I have lots of friends in Middlesboro and I know how hopeless it is but I sure hope you poor guys Win one for the old SEKC, Chalk Stapelton, Doke Walker, Kenny Roark, Walt Green, I could name them all day. Every move you make you want be alone the ghost of the Middlesboro greats will be with you and so will your old sports writer Julian I can not remember how to spell his last name, he was A dandy. GO GET THEM
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:I don't remember the culture shock excuse...

I do remember

The 16 hour bus ride driven in reverse

The strain of the Ecoli that was contracted from a Dairy Queen in Hyden en route to the game

A pack of bears attacking the team in the locker room just before kickoff

That pesky ozone layer

And of course....THE REFS!

Don't forget the whole team got the consumption along the way, and loss of memory from that. :Clap:
We'll be lucky to play within 30 points of this bunch , I just hope our boys don't get hurt.
Pikeville has a solid squad. Not having their RB will hurt. Last year's game has zero effect on this game. I'm sure had Middlesboro and Pikevilke played in 1999, Pikeville wouldn't have been thinking about the 78 points that Middlesboro hung on them the year before.

Pikeville needs to be careful though. Middlesboro has a funny way of facing opponents whom most thinking are solid squads, beating them, and instantly turning them into a below average team. Just ask Bell County. They were strong heading into their trip to the crater and despite losing on a last second field goal, everyone on here simply decided they weren't that good after all.

Middlesboro is definitely the underdog but has plenty of weapons and more than enough coaching to pull out the victory.
Intimidator Wrote:We'll be lucky to play within 30 points of this bunch , I just hope our boys don't get hurt.

I think I speak for everyone when I say I'll be happy when this game is over so you all will give this a rest. Maybe, middlesboro should beat someone with substance so people will talk about them? It's embarrassing to see the plethora of Middlesboro fans this bitter over a team seperating themselves as the dominant team in their area. I am not by any means a pikeville fan. Several sports at pikeville have seen success over the years and I think it is good for eastern KY anytime one of their teams is successful. Softball and baseball both have been very successful and basketball has that potential as well. I actually think pikeville could have done a lot more in baseball if they had a different coach. Pikeville is the main city everyone thinks of when they think of eastern KY, and the more their programs succeed the more positive recognition they get around the state. Its the same with my alma mater, Ashland. Hopefully they can get back to the days I remember. Regardless, you and everyone else at middlesboro should support any team that succeeds in the mountains.
baseball1974 Wrote:I think I speak for everyone when I say I'll be happy when this game is over so you all will give this a rest. Maybe, middlesboro should beat someone with substance so people will talk about them? It's embarrassing to see the plethora of Middlesboro fans this bitter over a team seperating themselves as the dominant team in their area. I am not by any means a pikeville fan. Several sports at pikeville have seen success over the years and I think it is good for eastern KY anytime one of their teams is successful. Softball and baseball both have been very successful and basketball has that potential as well. I actually think pikeville could have done a lot more in baseball if they had a different coach. Pikeville is the main city everyone thinks of when they think of eastern KY, and the more their programs succeed the more positive recognition they get around the state. Its the same with my alma mater, Ashland. Hopefully they can get back to the days I remember. Regardless, you and everyone else at middlesboro should support any team that succeeds in the mountains.
Thank you for the kind words. And yes, while most of us here just talk trash with each other and then move on, you have some like the poster you were addressing, who just can't let things go. In the end, it's all about the kids being successful win or lose because they take lessons from these sports that they can apply to the game of life. Like a certain favorite coach of mine paraphrased a famous quote "The man and the end of the bench may never help you win a game, but you can help him win in life with your support, advice, and discipline". Pikeville is starting to round their way back into the form they were in as a program in the 80's and some of the 90's because they are starting to realize this again with their coaching hires.

FWIW, while it is nothing personal, I tend to agree with you some on the baseball part as well. Like the coach, but don't know if he's the one to take the next step with.
There is a lt of animosity between two schools which don't play on a regular basis. This series needs to continue.
Is Pugh out?
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Is Pugh out?

Unfortunately, yes. Two unsportsmanlikes last week, one for spiking the ball on the winning TD. So he has to sit this week. Interestingly, I think that will be a good test for this team to have to play without him.
baseball1974 Wrote:I think I speak for everyone when I say I'll be happy when this game is over so you all will give this a rest. Maybe, middlesboro should beat someone with substance so people will talk about them? It's embarrassing to see the plethora of Middlesboro fans this bitter over a team seperating themselves as the dominant team in their area. I am not by any means a pikeville fan. Several sports at pikeville have seen success over the years and I think it is good for eastern KY anytime one of their teams is successful. Softball and baseball both have been very successful and basketball has that potential as well. I actually think pikeville could have done a lot more in baseball if they had a different coach. Pikeville is the main city everyone thinks of when they think of eastern KY, and the more their programs succeed the more positive recognition they get around the state. Its the same with my alma mater, Ashland. Hopefully they can get back to the days I remember. Regardless, you and everyone else at middlesboro should support any team that succeeds in the mountains.

Very, very few, thought Middlesboro would beat Bell County. Bell steamrolled everyone that they had played. Going into that game, everyone thought Bell was back. It took 4 quarters for everyone to completely change their mind on that. Middlesboro gets penalized for exploiting Bell's weaknesses, which mind you, no other team has really been able to do. Everyone said after that game, "Bell wasn't as good as we thought they were". Everyone said, "They're too one dimensional". Yes, they are pretty one dimensional. But so far, Middlesboro has been the only team to prove that they could contain that one dimension that Bell is good at.

As for your comments on Pikeville's success through the years, I would argue that Middlesboro has been every bit as successful in terms of a complete athletic department. That said, I have a great deal of respect for Pikeville. I feel like they and Middlesboro are very much alike and because of that, I like to see them do well.

In response to a later poster, it is my understanding that Pugh is in fact out. Can any Pikeville faithful confirm this?
E's Army Wrote:There is a lt of animosity between two schools which don't play on a regular basis. This series needs to continue.
It was pretty regular for a while. I think they played in 96, 97, 98, 2000, and 2001. Additionally, they have played on the diamond several times.
Pikeville 56 Middlesboro 12:igiveup:
Live Maroon Wrote:Unfortunately, yes. Two unsportsmanlikes last week, one for spiking the ball on the winning TD. So he has to sit this week. Interestingly, I think that will be a good test for this team to have to play without him.

In a game as big as last week you have to keep your flag in your pocket on that call. It is a shame he will miss this game because of this.
#1 Blackcat Fan Wrote:In a game as big as last week you have to keep your flag in your pocket on that call. It is a shame he will miss this game because of this.
Completely agree. However, it is what it is, so hopefully he learns a lesson from this. I think it is silly, especially because it was obviously in excitement. Look at every TD he's scored this year, always flips the ball to the ref. but KHSAA can't consider that, they can only consider THAT game. It's a shame, but moving on. Pikeville will be fine, and I think it is a good chance for the team to show they are more than one weapon, which a lot of people seem to think they are. Now others can and will step up, I have no doubt. Good leadership on this team. So no excuses from EITHER side no matter the game result. Go Panthers! Hail Pikeville!
PHSForever Wrote:Completely agree. However, it is what it is, so hopefully he learns a lesson from this. I think it is silly, especially because it was obviously in excitement. Look at every TD he's scored this year, always flips the ball to the ref. but KHSAA can't consider that, they can only consider THAT game. It's a shame, but moving on. Pikeville will be fine, and I think it is a good chance for the team to show they are more than one weapon, which a lot of people seem to think they are. Now others can and will step up, I have no doubt. Good leadership on this team. So no excuses from EITHER side no matter the game result. Go Panthers! Hail Pikeville!
Quit complaining maybe he should act like he has some sense and actually been there before we all know he's good... Now he's gonna cost his team a loss tonight... Atleast that will be Pikevilles excuse..
topnotch Wrote:Chalk Stapelton, Doke Walker, Kenny Roark, Walt Green, I could name them all day. Every move you make you want be alone the ghost of the Middlesboro greats will be with you and so will your old sports writer Julian I can not remember how to spell his last name, he was A dandy.

Julian Pitzer
ThisIsIt14 Wrote:Quit complaining maybe he should act like he has some sense and actually been there before we all know he's good... Now he's gonna cost his team a loss tonight... Atleast that will be Pikevilles excuse..
Complaining? I spoke my mind about the silliness of an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty for spiking the ball. It is different than maybe a late hit, etc. no excuses at all, no matter the result. FWIW, I STILL think Pikeville wins. But if they don't, I don't want to hear excuses from my fellow Pikeville fans is what I said. Go back to practicing humming "Six Million Dollar Man" theme song for the entrance to the Crater, big dawg. Lol

:biggrin: