Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lexington Catholic
Jaylen and Seth Beckham. I know Jaylen is no longer with Catholic but I would love to know how they decided upon Catholic and if it can be proven that they weren't asked to come to Catholic. I know for a fact that neither played basketball in the feeder school system. I would also like to know how many of the athletes who are receiving financial aid are actually Catholic as well.

I also wasn't giving CovCath the respect they deserved. Once again, I have been humbled. LexCath will likely be about .500.
I also know that a number of kids who played middle school basketball from feeder schools end up at public schools as well.
Vondale Morton.
charlie22 Wrote:Not sure what you mean by differentiating between the hiring of parents for athletic purposes and the hiring of parents for the recruitment of players. Aren't those one and the same?

So you make an allegation and aren't willing to back it up with specifics.

Fellow posters: I'd not believe another word this SportzAnimal says until he backs it up with names. Otherwise, it's just hot air and his allegation is without credibility and substance. That garbage is a large part of the problems between publics and privates in this state. People take what other people say as accurate and there is no substance behind it.

Are all the privates lilly white? No I don't think they are. But throwing unsubstantialted allegations around doesn't help solve the problem, as people tend to view them as "the sky is falling" claims.

As my father once told me: "back it up or shut it up".

I am not a LC fan by the way, nor did I or my children attend private high schools. Public all the way for us.

Lol... I didn't say that they hired parents to recruit players. I said that it was intended for the purpose that they recruited players in general. I quoted that quote, but my reply wasn't meant for it. That is my bad... I can't change it.
As for telling 'all posters' not to believe anything I post on here....good luck! I would fall into the same category as posters I despise. Ones who call out young kids on an open site, that can't defend themselves. Nice try, but I'm not fallin into that. So, if names is what u want, then sorry bout your luck. I'm a better person than that. If that's what u want, to call out kids names on here, then u are in the category I despise. Again, I'm sure the feeling is mutual.....
If you're not a supporter of 'private' schools then, why not ask the LexCath posters to back up their posts? That's what I thought....
Have a nice day...
As was mentioned......I think the financial aid sanctions Catholic speak for themselves. If the perception is that they recruit, the sanctions levied not to long ago will increase that perception.
This thread makes me believe even more that all the private schools should be put in one class,and let them compete for thier own state title.and leave the public schools to themselves.KY needs to follow in Tennesee foot steps and put an end to this problem.:Thumbs:
SportzAnimal Wrote:Lol... I didn't say that they hired parents to recruit players. I said that it was intended for the purpose that they recruited players in general. I quoted that quote, but my reply wasn't meant for it. That is my bad... I can't change it.
As for telling 'all posters' not to believe anything I post on here....good luck! I would fall into the same category as posters I despise. Ones who call out young kids on an open site, that can't defend themselves. Nice try, but I'm not fallin into that. So, if names is what u want, then sorry bout your luck. I'm a better person than that. If that's what u want, to call out kids names on here, then u are in the category I despise. Again, I'm sure the feeling is mutual.....
If you're not a supporter of 'private' schools then, why not ask the LexCath posters to back up their posts? That's what I thought....
Have a nice day...

I didn't ask the LC supporters to back up their posts because they weren't making allegations against a public school.

No, you are wrong. I don't despise you. I despise posts that make accusations and then don't back them up. I despise posts that make accusations based on innuendo and hearsay. I despise posts that try and make it appear that programs are only successful because they cheat.

If you take the time to review my posts, you'll find I'm one of the last people on here to say negative things about kids. Naming a kid that went to LC only because LC gave his parents a job is not being negative on a kid.

As I read your post, you accused LC of giving parents a job to induce them to send their kids to LC. You are now saying that wasn't your intent. Fine. I'm good with that.

As someone pretty close to the KHSAA, I am well aware of the facts and details surrounding LC (and LCA for that matter. As well as some public schools that have crossed the line). The private schools are not all lilly white; neither are all the public schools. The issue is not public vs private. It's getting all schools to comply with the rules. When people focus on the public vs private debate, it causes people to lose focus of the real issue. And when any adult violates or encourages others (including players) to violate the rules, the penalty should be severe. If it's a coach, they are banned forever from coaching in Ky. If it's an AD or principal, their school is banned from membership in the KHSAA unless and until that AD or principal is fired.

If the schools would permit the KHSAA to start doing that, we'd have a lot less problems and a lot less funny business going on.
PurplePride92 Wrote:Jaylen and Seth Beckham. I know Jaylen is no longer with Catholic but I would love to know how they decided upon Catholic and if it can be proven that they weren't asked to come to Catholic. I know for a fact that neither played basketball in the feeder school system. I would also like to know how many of the athletes who are receiving financial aid are actually Catholic as well.

I also wasn't giving CovCath the respect they deserved. Once again, I have been humbled. LexCath will likely be about .500.

You do know how the financial aid process works, right?

If not, here's a primer if you are interested:

Merit based financial aid is based on a test that must be offered to all students wanting to take it. No more than 25% of the amount of tuition (and tuition only) can be given. I don't know LC annual tuition, but I do know that 75% of any thing other than $0 is more than what it would cost in tuition to attend a public school.

Need based financial aid is not handled by the private school. The private school must use one of several clearing houses approved by the KHSAA. It is a blind process in that no information about who the student is and whether he or she is an athlete is permitted to be given to the clearing house. Detailed reports showing compliance must be submitted to the KHSAA.

If you'd like to learn more about the financial aid rules, I'll direct you to By Law 13. You can find it on the KHSAA's website.

And if you think the KHSAA is in cahoots with the private schools, I'll point out that of the 14 Board of Control members elected by the schools, only 2 of the 14 are from private schools. I seriously doubt those 2 are going to convince the other 12 to be look the other way towards the private schools. The other 4 members of the KHSAA are appointed by the State Board of Education. 3 of those 4 attended public schools and sent their children to public schools. I don't know about the 4th one. Bottom line is that public school representation on the KHSAA Board of Control heavily dominates the private school representation. You may not believe this, but it's true that when LC, LCA and Rose Hill got sanctioned by the KHSAA, it was the private school representatives on the KHSAA Board of Control that were the toughest on those schools.
I agree private schools need to be separated from the public schools. It would solve a TON of problems and arguments!
If the Privates were separated from Publics, how many schools would be in the privates class? 20? 30? Surely there are not more than 40?

Seriously, does anyone know how many TRUE private schools there are? We are not talking about community schools or Highlands. (Don't ask me why everyone thinks Highlands is private, :lmaoSmile
charlie22 Wrote:I didn't ask the LC supporters to back up their posts because they weren't making allegations against a public school.

No, you are wrong. I don't despise you. I despise posts that make accusations and then don't back them up. I despise posts that make accusations based on innuendo and hearsay. I despise posts that try and make it appear that programs are only successful because they cheat.

If you take the time to review my posts, you'll find I'm one of the last people on here to say negative things about kids. Naming a kid that went to LC only because LC gave his parents a job is not being negative on a kid.

As I read your post, you accused LC of giving parents a job to induce them to send their kids to LC. You are now saying that wasn't your intent. Fine. I'm good with that.

As someone pretty close to the KHSAA, I am well aware of the facts and details surrounding LC (and LCA for that matter. As well as some public schools that have crossed the line). The private schools are not all lilly white; neither are all the public schools. The issue is not public vs private. It's getting all schools to comply with the rules. When people focus on the public vs private debate, it causes people to lose focus of the real issue. And when any adult violates or encourages others (including players) to violate the rules, the penalty should be severe. If it's a coach, they are banned forever from coaching in Ky. If it's an AD or principal, their school is banned from membership in the KHSAA unless and until that AD or principal is fired.

If the schools would permit the KHSAA to start doing that, we'd have a lot less problems and a lot less funny business going on.

Ok. Well, now that we are 'fine'.... I hope you understand where I'm coming from on not naming names.
I do agree that all the 'funny business' needs to be taken care of. I just don't see it happening none too soon. Good luck in trying to help resolve all of it.
Im just guessing that everyone thinks Highlands is private because they have so many players from the cincinnatti area every year.Confusedhh:
charlie22 Wrote:You do know how the financial aid process works, right?

If not, here's a primer if you are interested:

Merit based financial aid is based on a test that must be offered to all students wanting to take it. No more than 25% of the amount of tuition (and tuition only) can be given. I don't know LC annual tuition, but I do know that 75% of any thing other than $0 is more than what it would cost in tuition to attend a public school.

Need based financial aid is not handled by the private school. The private school must use one of several clearing houses approved by the KHSAA. It is a blind process in that no information about who the student is and whether he or she is an athlete is permitted to be given to the clearing house. Detailed reports showing compliance must be submitted to the KHSAA.

If you'd like to learn more about the financial aid rules, I'll direct you to By Law 13. You can find it on the KHSAA's website.

And if you think the KHSAA is in cahoots with the private schools, I'll point out that of the 14 Board of Control members elected by the schools, only 2 of the 14 are from private schools. I seriously doubt those 2 are going to convince the other 12 to be look the other way towards the private schools. The other 4 members of the KHSAA are appointed by the State Board of Education. 3 of those 4 attended public schools and sent their children to public schools. I don't know about the 4th one. Bottom line is that public school representation on the KHSAA Board of Control heavily dominates the private school representation. You may not believe this, but it's true that when LC, LCA and Rose Hill got sanctioned by the KHSAA, it was the private school representatives on the KHSAA Board of Control that were the toughest on those schools.

That's fine and dandy. Now can you explain how the 75% is paid for when it is known that the family can't afford it at 75%? For the record I am not implying that the Beckham's can't afford LexCath as I have no idea what their situation is. Is it possible a booster can pay the 75% or that the parents get a job at LexCath? Has anything like that happened before? Do parents/employees kids attend LexCath free? I would assume there are ways around this.
St Lukes catholic church in Nicholasville always ran a bus of Lex Catholic kids to school from Nicholasville, theyd all meet in the parking lot. Granted this has been a few years ago and the bus that hauled them said "St Luke Catholic church" so I guess Lex Catholic didnt provide the transportation. loopholes:eyeroll:
ukbballdad Wrote:St Lukes catholic church in Nicholasville always ran a bus of Lex Catholic kids to school from Nicholasville, theyd all meet in the parking lot. Granted this has been a few years ago and the bus that hauled them said "St Luke Catholic church" so I guess Lex Catholic didnt provide the transportation. loopholes:eyeroll:

The bus runs to all the Catholic elementary schools in Fayette County in a loop because St. Lukes does not have a school.
PurplePride92 Wrote:That's fine and dandy. Now can you explain how the 75% is paid for when it is known that the family can't afford it at 75%? For the record I am not implying that the Beckham's can't afford LexCath as I have no idea what their situation is. Is it possible a booster can pay the 75% or that the parents get a job at LexCath? Has anything like that happened before? Do parents/employees kids attend LexCath free? I would assume there are ways around this.

You misunderstood my post. No more than 25% can come from merit based financial aid. More than 25% can come from need based financial aid. But need based financial aid must be determined by the clearing house. It's possible that 100% of the tuition could be awarded under need based financial aid, but again, the clearing house would have no idea whether that would be going to an athlete or non-athlete when it made it's determination.

By Law 13 is very clear that boosters cannot pay tuition. The only people that can pay tuition for an athlete are immediate family members. Immediate family members under the By Law are the parents, brothers, sisters, set father, step mother, step brothers, step sisters, husband, wife, aunts, uncles and grand parents.

Financial aid cannot come from any organization not under the custody and control of the member school or it's governing board (I think this is what got another private school in trouble recently when a church provided some financial aid to a kid without the knowledge of the school). Rather, it has to come from the school.

I will agree with you that a possible loophole is the hiring of the parent. Which is why I was asking for specifics of athletes whose parents were hired. I'm not sure if kids of private school employees get to attend the school free. I don't know what LC's policy is on that issue. My guess is that is a school by school situation.
Jack Lambert Wrote:Im just guessing that everyone thinks Highlands is private because they have so many players from the cincinnatti area every year.Confusedhh:

Do we have to do this again? If by "Cincinnati area" you mean Ohio, there are no kids on Highlands team again this year from Cincinnati. There hasn't been any since 2005. The one kid from Ohio that year didn't even start to my recollection. And even if he did, he couldn't have made to much of an impact as we got beat that year in the playoffs by LexCath, of all schools, 17-0. Oh, and we got eliminated from the playoffs the next year by CovCath. I had a son playing those two years. So if I thought the private schools were cheating, I'd be at the front of the line complaining about them, which I am not. There was another kid who lived in Ohio and played his frosh and sophomore year at Highlands in 2002 and 2003, but he transferred to Cincinnati Moeller. He was smart enough to figure out the point made in my next paragraph.

Any good enough athlete to make an impact on Highlands team from Ohio would have to be so stupid to choose Ky football over Ohio football that he probably could not be academically eligible.

You guys really have to get over this Cincinnati kids playing at Highlands stuff. It's so ridiculous it's funny.
charlie22 Wrote:You misunderstood my post. No more than 25% can come from merit based financial aid. More than 25% can come from need based financial aid. But need based financial aid must be determined by the clearing house. It's possible that 100% of the tuition could be awarded under need based financial aid, but again, the clearing house would have no idea whether that would be going to an athlete or non-athlete when it made it's determination.

By Law 13 is very clear that boosters cannot pay tuition. The only people that can pay tuition for an athlete are immediate family members. Immediate family members under the By Law are the parents, brothers, sisters, set father, step mother, step brothers, step sisters, husband, wife, aunts, uncles and grand parents.

Financial aid cannot come from any organization not under the custody and control of the member school or it's governing board (I think this is what got another private school in trouble recently when a church provided some financial aid to a kid without the knowledge of the school). Rather, it has to come from the school.

I will agree with you that a possible loophole is the hiring of the parent. Which is why I was asking for specifics of athletes whose parents were hired. I'm not sure if kids of private school employees get to attend the school free. I don't know what LC's policy is on that issue. My guess is that is a school by school situation.

Okay. I got you now. I was thinking someone had to come out of the pocket to pay, but it is possible to have all of the tuition paid for. Much clearer now. Thanks.

My opinion is as it always has been.....monkey business goes on everywhere. Always has always will. While I don't know of any specific monkey business that has gone on at LexCath I am sure there has been there as has most places whether public or private. Eyebrow raising situations will never stop and none of our schools are immune.:eyeroll:

Honestly, Boyle County has a pretty good overall record against LexCath so I like that we play them and hope we continue to. I have always said that I enjoy a victory over LexCath way way more than a victory over Danville.:1: :redboxer::flame:TongueirateSho:ChairHit:

I do wish my Purples could get some revenge on that shellacking LexCath put on them a few years ago, though. :HitWall::moon:

And bring on Highlands too. This year or last year. Don't matter.
charlie22 Wrote:Do we have to do this again? If by "Cincinnati area" you mean Ohio, there are no kids on Highlands team again this year from Cincinnati. There hasn't been any since 2005. The one kid from Ohio that year didn't even start to my recollection. And even if he did, he couldn't have made to much of an impact as we got beat that year in the playoffs by LexCath, of all schools, 17-0. Oh, and we got eliminated from the playoffs the next year by CovCath. I had a son playing those two years. So if I thought the private schools were cheating, I'd be at the front of the line complaining about them, which I am not. There was another kid who lived in Ohio and played his frosh and sophomore year at Highlands in 2002 and 2003, but he transferred to Cincinnati Moeller. He was smart enough to figure out the point made in my next paragraph.

Any good enough athlete to make an impact on Highlands team from Ohio would have to be so stupid to choose Ky football over Ohio football that he probably could not be academically eligible.

You guys really have to get over this Cincinnati kids playing at Highlands stuff. It's so ridiculous it's funny.

That is an excellent line. :thatsfunn
You guys really have to get over this Cincinnati kids playing at Highlands stuff. It's so ridiculous it's funny.[/QUOTE]

So youre telling me Mr Collinsworth actually lives in KY?
Well we all know that the khsaa rules are not the same for private schools. You cant transfer to a new school if you go to live with your dad. But a private school can get anyone they want and its ok no matter where you live they provide transportation for them we all know how it works. I think it make it that much more enjoyable when a county school beats a private school.
Jack Lambert Wrote:You guys really have to get over this Cincinnati kids playing at Highlands stuff. It's so ridiculous it's funny.

So youre telling me Mr Collinsworth actually lives in KY?[/QUOTE]

Yes I am telling you that. He lives less than a mile from me. Austin has lived in Ft. Thomas his entire life. In case you don't believe me, read: http://bengals.enquirer.com/2002/11/24/wwwben1a24.html
This one LexCath thread I'm glad was hijacked by Highlands.
knighted Wrote:Lexington Catholic doesn't bus their students. It's up to parents to provide transportation to and from school.

I Know St Lukes doesnt have a school, I was refering to the above quote.
Sorry should have quoted first. I only observe most of the time!
Bluecheese Wrote:This one LexCath thread I'm glad was hijacked by Highlands.

It wasn't hijacked by Highlands; it was hijacked to Highlands.
whats lex caths record now
ukbballdad Wrote:How many surrounding Counties does Lex Catholic send buses out to?

It's a PRIVATE school...You pay us to come to our school. We don't come out to you...
PurplePride92 Wrote:I also know that a number of kids who played middle school basketball from feeder schools end up at public schools as well.

Because the high school level is more expensive than the middle school. So they decide to go the public way....
PurplePride92 Wrote:Jaylen and Seth Beckham. I know Jaylen is no longer with Catholic but I would love to know how they decided upon Catholic and if it can be proven that they weren't asked to come to Catholic. I know for a fact that neither played basketball in the feeder school system. I would also like to know how many of the athletes who are receiving financial aid are actually Catholic as well.

You don't have to be catholic, you simple minded to attend LCHS. If your a catholic and a member of a parish, then you get a different rate vs. someone who is not catholic and / or not a member of any catholic churches. same goes for LCA..that's Lexington Christian Academy. You don't have to be christian to attend....as long as you have the money to pay tuitions.
PurplePride92 Wrote:That's fine and dandy. Now can you explain how the 75% is paid for when it is known that the family can't afford it at 75%? For the record I am not implying that the Beckham's can't afford LexCath as I have no idea what their situation is. Is it possible a booster can pay the 75% or that the parents get a job at LexCath? Has anything like that happened before? Do parents/employees kids attend LexCath free? I would assume there are ways around this.

If a parent works for the high school, tuition is cut in half....Let me ask you some brother.....Is it safe to say since Boyle County always wins state...You guys as well recruit? Seems that your point is because an athletic program wins a lot of games, they cheat, or recruit. ( ie Highlands, Trinity, Saint X, Ryle, LCA, Boyle County, Beechwood, Male, Manuel ) These programs wins ton of championship...so they must recruit !!!!