Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christian Co 69 Shelby Valley 66
closer then i expected. but still the same outcome. tough for a team that isn't around here to come and win, the refs tend to favor the mountain team in these kind of matchups. and im not saying that just cause its king elisha and valley. im saying it cuz its true. same thing will happen at PCC. i know thats how i would be if i was reffin. i wouldn't wanna see no outsiders come in and beat our mountain teams. not saying i would purposely call bad calls. but i would be more towards the favoring side of the mountain team.

anyway, congrats CC. big win on the road. should handle PCC with ease. But i could be wrong. goodluck.
I called this loss in the prediction thread. Christian Co. is a very good team. For any team to come to Shelby Valley's home court and beat them with 15th Region refs has to be good.

However, this is the first and only top twenty ranked team in the state that Shelby Valley has played or will play until they make it to Rupp. This game goes to show the Shelby Valley homers that Shelby Valley can be beat. Too bad they won't be challenged with anymore top teams in the state until they do make it to Rupp. They need the good competition, close games and a few losses to learn from and prepare them for the Sweet Sixteen. Winning by 20+ every game does not make the team better and does not prepare them for the teams they will see at Rupp, especially if they have to play a team in the 4th, 6th, 7th, 9th, 10th, or 11th regions in the first round.

Before some of you start, I am not dissing Shelby Valley or Shelby Valley die hards, just stating my opinion. I do think Shelby Valley is a very good team and they have some very outstanding players. Some people on here just need to be realistic or at least they need to see teams from other parts of the state.
EKY Wrote:Is Shelby Valley really that good to play within 3 of Christian County? Christian County beat Scott County and took Holmes to Overtime before they lost.
Another misinformed poster. Shelby Valley did not beat Scott County, I have no idea where some of you get your information from?
I think I called this win for Christian Co. by 3... I didnt think that it would end up as that tight of a game but both teams fought hard and really gave it their all. Valley had some tough break breaks from three and the foul line but really seemed to have issues floating to the open man. Christian Co. had to have at least 7 threes (backbreaker). Valley will be fine and this loss will only help them. Expect to see a hungry team down in Richmond.
goodguy Wrote:I called this loss in the prediction thread. Christian Co. is a very good team. For any team to come to Shelby Valley's home court and beat them with 15th Region refs has to be good.

However, this is the first and only top twenty ranked team in the state that Shelby Valley has played or will play until they make it to Rupp. This game goes to show the Shelby Valley homers that Shelby Valley can be beat. Too bad they won't be challenged with anymore top teams in the state until they do make it to Rupp. They need the good competition, close games and a few losses to learn from and prepare them for the Sweet Sixteen. Winning by 20+ every game does not make the team better and does not prepare them for the teams they will see at Rupp, especially if they have to play a team in the 4th, 6th, 7th, 9th, 10th, or 11th regions in the first round.

Before some of you start, I am not dissing Shelby Valley or Shelby Valley die hards, just stating my opinion. I do think Shelby Valley is a very good team and they have some very outstanding players. Some people on here just need to be realistic or at least they need to see teams from other parts of the state.

:Thumbs: I'm right there with you.
dortonite Wrote:Looks like this Shelby Valley loss made someone from Hazard very happy,LOL.

It didn't make me happy. I had no dog in this race and could have cared less who won.
I cannot agree with you. I thought the Hicky kid could have scored a lot more but he was very unselfish and he was playing for a coach that encourage the extra pass. He looked like he could go around anyone on the court but SV reaches around so it was hard to tell.
LCDawg Wrote:Christian Co. 69 Shelby Valley 66

Christian Co. 11 19 19 20 69
Shelby Valley 12 19 13 22 66

Christian Co. (17-3) -- Lewis 23, Wilson 10, Hickey 16, Kates 7, Gayle 3, Tandy 8, Bowman 2.

Shelby Valley (13-3) -- Justice 18, Hatfield 15, Taylor Newsome 14, Varney 6, Tyler Newsome 8, Ramey 5.

I stated in the predictions thread that Lewis and Hickey were two of the quickest guards in the state. Judging by the box score, I'd assume neither disappointed and that Hickey definetly lived up to the hype of being just as good as Justice. Scary thing is, this kid is only a junior.

trufan Wrote:I would be surprised to see PCC within 10 at the end of this one. CC may be the best team that I have watched in SV's gym since Lex Cath came here. Now with that said, SV didn't play as good as they have in previous games and IMO proved they are one of the top teams in the state. This game could have went either way, I think largest lead was 5 points by either team. Congrats CC, you have a really good team and even though we lost, I am proud of the effort that SV showed tonight.

I also stated that CC would be the best team that SV had seen since Lexcath in 04. Christian Co is a very good team and to win at Shelby Valley is impressive.

5timechamp Wrote:When CC lost those games they had some players out with injury. Since then they beat Scott Co. at Scott and took Holmes to OT at Holmes. Trust me this is a very very good team.

Christian Co hasn't played and doesn't play Scott Co...where'd you get that from?

Their three losses are to Holmes, Mason Co, and East Carter. Their only big win this season is a 2 point win over Bowling Green.

I agree though that CC is still a very good team.

DortonWildcat5 Wrote:After watching, both looked fine to me. Myself, I thought Christian County's defensive pressure contributed a lot to the bad shooting. Valley did get some open looks, but it took a lot of passes to get them. I thought Valley gave up too many open 3 pointers, especially to Lewis. Hickey is quick as lightning and fun to watch.

I tried telling everyone that CC's defensive pressure would really bother SV throughout the night and I believe Blackcatalum stated that CC's pressure wouldn't affect Valley cause of Justice.

CC flat out gets after it on defense.

hootie Wrote:I thought the Hicky kid could have scored a lot more but he was very unselfish and he was playing for a coach that encourage the extra pass. He looked like he could go around anyone on the court but SV reaches around so it was hard to tell.

Hickey is one of the most underrated players in the state. I said in the predictions thread that he could average 20 a night but doesn't because he's too unselfish and plays a true point guard role.

He'll be one of the best players in the state next year as a senior.
The bottom line to this game was that CC hit their shots(and lots of them) and SV did not.Neither press had a lot of affect on the other team and Valley got humbled.You could tell that Ashley was struggling, as he had no elevation on his jumpshots and even had trouble at the foul line. Hated to see them lose at home,but they should have learned alot from this game. No one play made the difference in this game, especially a missed free throw. We have rode Elisha's back to many victories over the years and he certainly has nothing to be ashamed of in this game.Congrats to Christian Co. and good job Valley. We (the faithful) are still right behind you.
I think that CC showed that as of right now they are the better team.
goodguy Wrote:I called this loss in the prediction thread. Christian Co. is a very good team. For any team to come to Shelby Valley's home court and beat them with 15th Region refs has to be good.

Couldn't agree more and I think everyone else in this area except the Shelby Valley faithful understand this. It's not Shelby Valley's fault the competition isn't there for them in this area, but anyone that has looked at their schedule will quickly realize they have not scheduled anyone to really challenge them. No BIG KY tournaments (Kings of the Bluegrass, etc...) and no teams outside the "Mountains" beside Paul Laurence. No one can be blamed for that except the coach though.

Ditto. I saw the same things happening. As stated in the prediction thread, I thought that CC was too deep.
Both good teams. SV could be a little over rated state wide. All free throws are important, the ones that were missed all counted 1 point each. And your legs are not as strong at the end of the game. Just a good game by two good teams.....
BlueSky Wrote:Both good teams. SV could be a little over rated state wide. All free throws are important, the ones that were missed all counted 1 point each. And your legs are not as strong at the end of the game. Just a good game by two good teams.....

I predicted that because of these two teams being very even, this game would come down to who made plays and free throws down the stretch.

CC did, SV didn't. Ballgame.
kywldcat01 Wrote:I predicted that because of these two teams being very even, this game would come down to who made plays and free throws down the stretch.

CC did, SV didn't. Ballgame.
Good, "to the point" analysis. I was there and this pretty much sums it up.
kywldcat01 Wrote:I tried telling everyone that CC's defensive pressure would really bother SV throughout the night and I believe Blackcatalum stated that CC's pressure wouldn't affect Valley cause of Justice.

CC flat out gets after it on defense.

I said Valley wouldn't have a problem with CCs press. Elisha went through CCs press like a hot knife going through butter. CC did away with the press in the 1st half. SV had open shots throughout the night for their shooters like Tyler Newsome and Ashley Hatfield, its just that they didn't capitalize on their open opportunities. CCs defense was stellar on the inside as they where bigger and more athletic than SV.

BTW, Hickey and Lewis's shooting is what hurt Valley, not their speed. I'm sure they shot over 50% for the game and probably close to 40% from 3. Only one that struggled from behind the arc was Wilson and it might have been because he was shooting 25-foot 3s.

SV is going to have to find another defense to run besides the matchup 2-3. You give a team open shots and they're going to hit them at one point or another and in this case it was Christian County last night.
Congratulations Christian County! You guys have an awesome team! So quick and fun to watch!

Congratulations Tayor and Ashley! You both are soooo amazing!

Great job SV! I am sooo proud of all of you! I had heard that Ashley's back was still hurting and he was barely able to practice on Thursday, Elisha had tendonitis in his achilles, Tyler had a hurt foot, Ramey's ankle was still weak from his injury but you guys were warriors and still played through the pain! I pray that everyone will be pain-free and healed by the time we go to state! You guys fought hard and have nothing to be ashamed of!

This was a fun game to watch by 2 awesome teams! I thought that both teams displayed good sportsmanship also! Great kids! The Best! I wish both teams the best of luck for the rest of the season!

Win or lose, you are precious in God's eyes and bottom line THAT is ALL that really matters!!!!!!!!!! Just ignore the SV haters on here. If they really knew you guys personally they would love you without a doubt!

Go Valley!!!!!!!!! I love you guys soooooo much! Continue to work hard and stand for what is good and what is right! There are so many watching you! Continue to be the great role models that you are!!!!!!!! Let people see Who has your heart!

Also, everyone needs to stay off of Brian Milam's back! People (jealous people) just want to take his words and just twists what he says! I think he and the rest of the WYMT staff do an excellent job covering all that they are responsible for! I love watching them (even though they are on soooo late)! Keep up the good work guys! You are the best!!!!
mama cat Wrote:Congratulations Christian County! You guys have an awesome team! So quick and fun to watch!

Congratulations Tayor and Ashley! You both are soooo amazing!

Great job SV! I am sooo proud of all of you! I had heard that Ashley's back was still hurting and he was barely able to practice on Thursday, Elisha had tendonitis in his achilles, Tyler had a hurt foot, Ramey's ankle was still weak from his injury but you guys were warriors and still played through the pain! I pray that everyone will be pain-free and healed by the time we go to state! You guys fought hard and have nothing to be ashamed of!

This was a fun game to watch by 2 awesome teams! I thought that both teams displayed good sportsmanship also! Great kids! The Best! I wish both teams the best of luck for the rest of the season!

Win or lose, you are precious in God's eyes and bottom line THAT is ALL that really matters!!!!!!!!!! Just ignore the SV haters on here. If they really knew you guys personally they would love you without a doubt!

Go Valley!!!!!!!!! I love you guys soooooo much! Continue to work hard and stand for what is good and what is right! There are so many watching you! Continue to be the great role models that you are!!!!!!!! Let people see Who has your heart!

Also, everyone needs to stay off of Brian Milam's back! People (jealous people) just want to take his words and just twists what he says! I think he and the rest of the WYMT staff do an excellent job covering all that they are responsible for! I love watching them (even though they are on soooo late)! Keep up the good work guys! You are the best!!!!

You do know that people are going to think you're making excuses, right?
PC_You_Know Wrote:You do know that people are going to think you're making excuses, right?
Isn't she?
the 1 the only Wrote:what about wendall allen's two phantom walks on Christian towards the end that gave SV a fighting chance

Yep, you are right. I can't believe those calls haven't been mentioned more on here. I am a huge SV bball fan. I like them almost as much as I like Belfry football and people that know me know I am a huge Pirate supporter. However, those two calls were embarrassing. The first was on a wide open breakaway layup that would have put CC up 8 within the last two minutes and the other one was when Hickey was dribbling near mid-court and SV knocked the ball away and then he started dribbling again and out of nowhere Wallen signals walk. Anyway, 99% of the game was great. You could tell SV hadn't played a top notch team since Florida. They looked a little slow out of the gate and CC was a real quick team that played good defense. SV missed enough easy shots to have had a nice early lead. SV needs to take better 3 pointers. IMO, on about half of their attempts, they could have gotten a better look. Bottome line, this was a tournament type game and atmosphere and both teams made great plays and mistakes. I would love to see these two match up again at Rupp. Good Luck to both teams and to SV in Richmond this week.
LCDawg Wrote:Couldn't agree more and I think everyone else in this area except the Shelby Valley faithful understand this. It's not Shelby Valley's fault the competition isn't there for them in this area, but anyone that has looked at their schedule will quickly realize they have not scheduled anyone to really challenge them. No BIG KY tournaments (Kings of the Bluegrass, etc...) and no teams outside the "Mountains" beside Paul Laurence. No one can be blamed for that except the coach though.

:Thumbs:
TheRealVille Wrote:Isn't she?
You are sooo right PC you know, I wish I could go back and take those statements out! Posted in too big of a hurry and really wasn't meaning to make excuses, just stating facts! I'm sure the rest of the SV haters like Realville will jump this too!
mama cat Wrote:You are sooo right PC you know, I wish I could go back and take those statements out! Posted in too big of a hurry and really wasn't meaning to make excuses, just stating facts! I'm sure the rest of the SV haters like Realville will jump this too!
I'm not a SV hater(If I'm any kind of SV hater, it is only a SV some/not all fans hater) , just stating the obvious. Anytime you post sickness or things wrong with the players of the losing team, it is making excuses. I hate to see SV lose, but I like it for one reason, to get some of the fans heads out of the clouds.
the 1 the only Wrote:what about wendall allen's two phantom walks on Christian towards the end that gave SV a fighting chance

Phantom walks? How many times did CC foul (tyler newsome's 3 pointer before half, elbow slinging taylor to the ground in the fourth, almost punch-like swinging to get the ball) I dont think you can complain about the officiating at all, you must not have watched the game.
bucslover68 Wrote:Yep, you are right. I can't believe those calls haven't been mentioned more on here. I am a huge SV bball fan. I like them almost as much as I like Belfry football and people that know me know I am a huge Pirate supporter. However, those two calls were embarrassing. The first was on a wide open breakaway layup that would have put CC up 8 within the last two minutes and the other one was when Hickey was dribbling near mid-court and SV knocked the ball away and then he started dribbling again and out of nowhere Wallen signals walk. Anyway, 99% of the game was great. You could tell SV hadn't played a top notch team since Florida. They looked a little slow out of the gate and CC was a real quick team that played good defense. SV missed enough easy shots to have had a nice early lead. SV needs to take better 3 pointers. IMO, on about half of their attempts, they could have gotten a better look. Bottome line, this was a tournament type game and atmosphere and both teams made great plays and mistakes. I would love to see these two match up again at Rupp. Good Luck to both teams and to SV in Richmond this week.

Agreed. :Thumbs:
A very competitive game , like many others it could have went to either side. CC was very athletic and quick, and seemed very well coached. Valley just got of to a slow start but came back with spurts. I very proud of how they played and it was a good challenge for them to get ready for the up coming road to the sweet 16! Great game Valley just keep your head up Wildcats! Looking forward to the Valley East Ridge game on Monday! Good luck to both Wildcats and Warriors, make it a good game!
One thing that has not been mentioned inside the last 4 minutes CC was up 2 or 3 points. SV made the defensive stops they needed and went 4 straight posessions without getting a shot off. That was thier opportunity to win the game. Bad coaching IMO. Hickey had 4 fouls so they had him gaurding Taylor Newsome to keep him from fouling out. the few times he got the ball in the fourth he scored easily on the smaller gaurd. SV did not take enough advantage of this matchup.
Very good basketball game. SV played great the entire game, they just didn't knock down shots that they usually make. If they do they win. Christian County made the plays when they needed them, they came up clutch time and time again. I was very impressed with their team chemistry. I think anyone that watched the game would say that these two teams are very even. I think either could beat anyone in the state on a given night... Honestly SV just isn't deep enough to win a state title. They only have 6 players that they are comfortable playing, even if they got hot they wouldn't be able to make it through the gauntlet that is the Sweet 16. Two really good teams, I feel both belong somewhere in the top 10-12 range. Christian County is EXTREMELY well coached in my opinion, they executed to perfection, always finding the open shooter. They had a great recipe for beating SV. I never thought we were world beaters, but by God we competed. Great ball game.
5timechamp Wrote:One thing that has not been mentioned inside the last 4 minutes CC was up 2 or 3 points. SV made the defensive stops they needed and went 4 straight posessions without getting a shot off. That was thier opportunity to win the game. Bad coaching IMO. Hickey had 4 fouls so they had him gaurding Taylor Newsome to keep him from fouling out. the few times he got the ball in the fourth he scored easily on the smaller gaurd. SV did not take enough advantage of this matchup.
Exactly what I was thinking!
TheRealVille Wrote:I'm not a SV hater(If I'm any kind of SV hater, it is only a SV some/not all fans hater) , just stating the obvious. Anytime you post sickness or things wrong with the players of the losing team, it is making excuses. I hate to see SV lose, but I like it for one reason, to get some of the fans heads out of the clouds.

I'm not a sv hater either but the one that makes me sick is Ashley Hatfield's grandpa I've put up with him since these kids was in 7th grade the way he puts Ashley up and he can't do no wrong, there r other kids on this team that has been there as long as Ashley has.