Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do the powerhouse team's do it?
What a coincidence, I had a friend in Lexington to call yesterday and we were talking about the playoffs and he asked me the simular question but more specifically toward Bell County and my reply to him will be similar to my reply here. The greatest element is good fundamental coaching staff, great youth program and these boys taking it on themselves to continually work to get better all year long. When first getting to know the coaches at Bell someone told me that Coach Hilton is continually working to make the boys better know matter how good they already are, I have personally seen this. :rockon:
A Long History

In Northern Kentucky, the many youth leagues include the Fort Thomas Junior Football League, which this year celebrates its 50th anniversary. The league has helped produce Highlands' multiple Kentucky varsity state titles.

Hunter Schlosser, a Highlands senior offensive lineman, is a product of the league formed by men including his grandfather, Clem Fennell Jr., legendary former Highlands varsity coach Homer Rice, and former St. Xavier/Notre Dame/Cleveland Browns quarterback George Ratterman.

"I'd see my older brother getting ready for his games, and I couldn't wait for the day I put all that stuff on," Schlosser said. "I really liked watching people hit each other. Now, my fifth-grade nephew loves coming to the games and seeing me play."

Highlands coach Dale Mueller was a guard/linebacker in his Fort Thomas Junior Football League playing days in the 1960s. Mueller idolized Highlands stars of that era, including Tim Racke and Hank Pogue.

"I remember it like it was yesterday," Mueller said. "I used to go on the field after games and try to bump into them, just to have any contact between me and them. Just to get a chin strap from them, it was bigger than you can even describe. I remember seeing Homer Rice coaching on the field, wanting to be part of that in the worst way."

Rice later was head coach at the University of Cincinnati and head coach of the Cincinnati Bengals.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20091...round-here
the feeder program is the key
Lots of hours put in and alot of community support. Having a good youth league and middle school program are key as well.
i agree
Cellking Wrote:I agree all these things are important. Also add Support from the Administration and Fans. MONEY! plays a huge part. Lots of teams opperate on a shoe string budget while the Successful ones have unlimited resources.

I disagree on that money plays a huge part.

A school like Holmes is a low income school, but yet they currently are sitting at 9-2 heading in to tonight's game with Lexcath.

Money is nice to have but you don't have to have unlimited resources to be a good team.

Heck, look at Bellevue. They're another great example of a low-income school that does well every year in football.
kywldcat01 Wrote:I disagree on that money plays a huge part.

A school like Holmes is a low income school, but yet they currently are sitting at 9-2 heading in to tonight's game with Lexcath.

Money is nice to have but you don't have to have unlimited resources to be a good team.

Heck, look at Bellevue. They're another great example of a low-income school that does well every year in football.
Holmes spends plenty of money on athletics.
nky Wrote:Holmes spends plenty of money on athletics.

Additionally,
Holmes is a program on the rise, but not close to being in the conversation of the state's top programs like this thread was inquiring about.

It is very common for programs to have "up years" based solely on talent..but sustained success on the highest level typically comes from programs who have nice financial budgets.
kywldcat01 Wrote:I disagree on that money plays a huge part.

Never seen one that had unlimited resorces not have a good football program. I agree it's not all that's necessary. But ask those people trying to buy equipment or supplies and being told they do not have enough money in budget to get the necessary items.I think they can tell you how important it is to have the Money.