Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ashland 28 Russell 7
FBALL Wrote:The reason Alber doesn't get it every play and why they do the other things is because they set each other up. Ashland kept Russell spread out and made them account for the passes and the reverses and all of the misdirection. Because of all of that they can get Alber going one on one with defenders up the middle of the field. If they didn't do that other stuff everyone would just key on Alber. Now Alber is good but there is no such thing as a one man team. That is what Ashland does very well. They do play as a team.

Totally agree!
1. Ashland is a very good team. Alber is 75% of the offense and a good part of the defense but the defense is very, very quick to the ball.
2. Russell had 23 yards total offense in the first half on 20 carries - not bad runners but the line needs help, unfortunately they won't get bigger before the season so hopefully the competition gets smaller.
3. Russell never gave up. The game got a little dirty but the officials were bad. The back judge missed many holds and he finally threw the flag and waved it off (only because he wasn't watching the fumbled ball and was going to call a late hit and the play wasn't even over).
4. Sparks threw the TD pass. Roark went in in the middle of the 4th quarter and Sparks at the end of the game.
5. I love Ivan but I'm afraid with the team they have this year is too small and weak to run the wing T only. They need to go to a shotgun formation and spread the defense out.
6. Ashlands offensive formations and play calling was excellent - even though they were probably saving Albers for Ironton.
7. Maybe next year on the Ashland game - put it behind you and play hard. This year's team hasn't quit yet and are a great bunch of young men.
I loved how Ashlands defensive guards dove at the Russell guards feet all night long. Sat some with a buddy from Ashland for some of the game and he told me they practiced that all week long. Clogged up holes and threw a kink into Russell's pulling a lil. Pretty effective at times. I thought both teams played dirty. Saw alot of of unsportsman like acts all night long that were not called on BOTH teams. Other than Mason Co. I doubt Russell will see any better teams as good as Ashland was and Ironton IMO.
Where were you f-ball? I saw Ryan Parker, looked for wildcat89 but I couldn't find him all those Russell people looked the same... They all had on these big long faces!:biggrin:
was it just me or was the russell side empty i expected a packed house and it seemed that the end closest to the baseball field was very scarce?
:HitWall:Only one thing to say, The Smith kid needs to run the ball. He is a great asset that isn't being used! He is a good lineman, BUT.................
tomcatfan722000 Wrote:was it just me or was the russell side empty i expected a packed house and it seemed that the end closest to the baseball field was very scarce?

Actually that end is always kinda like that. Thats where alot of the kids will sit and mingle. I think most were walking around. I know Ashland brought alot of fans and was surprised Ashlands band played at halftime while Russells had to play after the the game. I havent seen another schools band play at halftime in a long time. I think it was a good gesture though.
KYstraydog Wrote:Actually that end is always kinda like that. Thats where alot of the kids will sit and mingle. I think most were walking around. I know Ashland brought alot of fans and was surprised Ashlands band played at halftime while Russells had to play after the the game. I havent seen another schools band play at halftime in a long time. I think it was a good gesture though.

ashland and russell actually started doing that years ago after russell played there whole show then ashland took the field even though russell was only suppose to play half of there show band was still on the field so ashland received a 15 yard penalty
FBALL Wrote:Congratulations to Ashland. The Kitty Cats roared tonight.

To add on to Ryans remarks, Alber is the best football player in the area. Ashland's defense is impressive but the way they spread you out and hit Alber up the middle is tough to defend. Tonight it was definitely the Alber show. He was unstopable in the open field.

Neither team has much of a passing game and Russell really needs one because they cannot block the back side against a good defense. The back side of the line and linebackers for Ashland were in Russell's backfield all night. Ryan, everybody knows where the plays are going. They have for years. Thats not going to change. What does need to change is the blocking if you can call it that, and not just on the line, the backs didn't block anyone either.

On defense Ashland dared Russell to pass and they could not. It was there and there were some opportunities for Russell but the passing game right now is nonexistant and that has to change if Russell wants to compete with a really good team. Ashland is really good.

Russell's defense although not very good tonight has to carry them. To me I think I would have sold out on stopping Alber up the middle and made them pass. Hunter is a good scrambling QB but not much of a passer.

Ashland holds really well and at least tonight got away with it.

Finally this was one of the dirtiest games I have watched in a while. By both teams. These two schools do not like each other and it showed. Sportsmanship went right out the window.

This Ashland team had some dirty plays last year in the playoffs agianst Highlands. I know there are some players from Highlands hoping for another rematch this year.
tomcatfan722000 Wrote:ashland and russell actually started doing that years ago after russell played there whole show then ashland took the field even though russell was only suppose to play half of there show band was still on the field so ashland received a 15 yard penalty

I stand corrected....I remember that now.
KYstraydog Wrote:I stand corrected....I remember that now.

yeah the band took alot of heat for that one noone really ever let them live that down i remember the next year our band director promised to play the whole show no matter how long it took lol the intensity of this rivalry even spreads to the bands lol
It's like playing poker, it's not "cheatin" unless you get caught! We chewed redman and spit in the other players face when I played at fairview!! It's time to get back at old school footbal; smash mouth football, run and gun or stay at home! Highland has a great program, but, this years Ashland team is different, they have the blue collar look at times but hasn't played anybody strong yet! it would be an interesting game.
Russell struggled all night. Russell offensive needs to get on track. Just no blocking. The backs could not get going cause Ashland was on them quick. Russell has played the two best teams in the area and will start district play in 2 weeks and look good but I hope it is not a false sense of hope. The linebackers are just to small to make a stop and the D- line was getting shoved any where Ashland want to put them. Korzep played well tonight and so did Davidson. He should be moved to LB.
Alber is a beast. I think Ashland came out in the 3rd and was trying some new things. Should be an interresting game against Ironton.
Russell keep your head up. :devilflam:devilflam:devilflam
that's right Wrote:It's like playing poker, it's not "cheatin" unless you get caught! We chewed redman and spit in the other players face when I played at fairview!! It's time to get back at old school footbal; smash mouth football, run and gun or stay at home! Highland has a great program, but, this years Ashland team is different, they have the blue collar look at times but hasn't played anybody strong yet! it would be an interesting game.

Are you saying Ashland and Highlands will be an interesting game this year?
GOREDDEVILS Wrote:105.7 said the russell td pass was from Jordan Roark to Nathan Taylor.
. They are the worst announcers! Never get players or stats right.
that's right Wrote::HitWall:Only one thing to say, The Smith kid needs to run the ball. He is a great asset that isn't being used! He is a good lineman, BUT.................

which smith are you talking about? Coaches don't seem to use players in other spots. Why not? That is a good question.
that's right Wrote:It's like playing poker, it's not "cheatin" unless you get caught! We chewed redman and spit in the other players face when I played at fairview!! It's time to get back at old school footbal; smash mouth football, run and gun or stay at home! Highland has a great program, but, this years Ashland team is different, they have the blue collar look at times but hasn't played anybody strong yet! it would be an interesting game.

Next weeks game against Ironton will prove or disprove the "blue collar look" for Ashland. I hope you are right.
Does Ashland have a much improved off season weight program? Do they have a good weight facility?
It says in the Independent this morning that Alber worked on his speed in the offseason. Anybody know if he went to the HIT school in Huntington or just worked on his own? He is a great player and I was most impressed that he wasn't one of the ones I saw smack talking or playing dirty.
I will say this. The one thing that disappointed me more than anything else is that Ashland's players from the very start seemed to be more fired up for this game than Russell's did. Now Russell didn't quit and they did play hard but Ashland really came out looking like a team that wanted to prove a point.

The poor blocking is not just on the linemen for Russell. To run those traps the RBs have to block as well. Especially with the way Ashland blitzed. They brought more people than Russell could block and Russell never seemed to adjust. They did not do a good job of that last night.
BADCAT74 Wrote:Where were you f-ball? I saw Ryan Parker, looked for wildcat89 but I couldn't find him all those Russell people looked the same... They all had on these big long faces!:biggrin:
I was sitting up top with the family.
BADCAT74 Wrote:Totally agree!

RedDevil1981 Wrote:Does Ashland have a much improved off season weight program? Do they have a good weight facility?

Ashland has an incredible weight room to rival a small college for probably close to thirty years, they just updated every piece of equipment about 4 yrs ago, very nice every piece of equipment you could think of.
RedDevil1981 Wrote:It says in the Independent this morning that Alber worked on his speed in the offseason. Anybody know if he went to the HIT school in Huntington or just worked on his own? He is a great player and I was most impressed that he wasn't one of the ones I saw smack talking or playing dirty.

He lives right up the road from me, from a good family nice people , very good kid. He has worked very hard in the off season as did the rest of the team!
BADCAT74 Wrote:Ashland has an incredible weight room to rival a small college for probably close to thirty years, they just updated every piece of equipment about 4 yrs ago, very nice every piece of equipment you could think of.

Thanks, it shows. Russell needs a nice weight facility with a much larger room to start to compete with stronger teams. :HitWall:
Ashland is just that good, keep your head up devils, by the way i predicted this one to be 27-7 only one point off dang.
Congratulations to the Tomcats on a commanding victory.

As said before the two losses for Russell came against very good teams. Nothing to be ashamed about. Alber is the real deal. WOW!
Jeepman Wrote:Congratulations to the Tomcats on a commanding victory.

As said before the two losses for Russell came against very good teams. Nothing to be ashamed about. Alber is the real deal. WOW!
Yes the losses did come against good teams, but to be outscored 73-7 you have to game plan better than this.I just dont think Russells coaching staff
does a very good job when they are outmaned.They use the same old stuff and everyone knows whats coming.I guess there going to live or die with their bread and butter.
mightydog Wrote:Yes the losses did come against good teams, but to be outscored 73-7 you have to game plan better than this.I just dont think Russells coaching staff
does a very good job when they are outmaned.They use the same old stuff and everyone knows whats coming.I guess there going to live or die with their bread and butter.

Agreed, with the size of the team this year and the lack of a dominating back (good backs for Russell, just no great back) they will need to change their ways.
RedDevil1981 Wrote:1. Ashland is a very good team. Alber is 75% of the offense and a good part of the defense but the defense is very, very quick to the ball.
2. Russell had 23 yards total offense in the first half on 20 carries - not bad runners but the line needs help, unfortunately they won't get bigger before the season so hopefully the competition gets smaller.
3. Russell never gave up. The game got a little dirty but the officials were bad. The back judge missed many holds and he finally threw the flag and waved it off (only because he wasn't watching the fumbled ball and was going to call a late hit and the play wasn't even over).
4. Sparks threw the TD pass. Roark went in in the middle of the 4th quarter and Sparks at the end of the game.
5. I love Ivan but I'm afraid with the team they have this year is too small and weak to run the wing T only. They need to go to a shotgun formation and spread the defense out.
6. Ashlands offensive formations and play calling was excellent - even though they were probably saving Albers for Ironton.
7. Maybe next year on the Ashland game - put it behind you and play hard. This year's team hasn't quit yet and are a great bunch of young men.

Very nice post RedDevil81!!! :Clap:
Alber makes that team a whole new animal....when he's not in the game you can tell...what a great player