Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who Is The Greatest Team Ever In The Mountains?
Mighty Pikeville The Greateast High School Team In The Nation 1987. If You Don't Believe It Just Ask Anyone, They'll Tell You!
1995;1996;2002 Breathitt Bobcats
Belfry 03,04.
sensitive_baby Wrote:Mighty Pikeville The Greateast High School Team In The Nation 1987. If You Don't Believe It Just Ask Anyone, They'll Tell You!
Well according to the USA Today poll they were one of the 25 best teams in the nation that year so we arent that far off.
abnerdday Wrote:1990 Ashland Tomcats
1997 (I believe) Raceland Rams
1999 Lawrence County Bulldogs
2003 Belfry Pirates

Heres the ? that can never be answered on here. Are Ashland and Raceland truly "Mountain" teams?
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:Heres the ? that can never be answered on here. Are Ashland and Raceland truly "Mountain" teams?

But the ? could those teams beat '87 Pikeville can be answered. No way.
:biggrin: :biggrin:
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:Heres the ? that can never be answered on here. Are Ashland and Raceland truly "Mountain" teams?

If anyone answered no, they would get an a+ on this pop quiz. IMO.
:biggrin:
jetpilot Wrote:But the ? could those teams beat '87 Pikeville can be answered. No way.

You just recieved an A+ on this one Jet Pilot!:biggrin:
jetpilot Wrote:But the ? could those teams beat '87 Pikeville can be answered. No way.
I didnt even ask that question cause everyone knew the answer already.
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:I didnt even ask that question cause everyone knew the answer already.

Still an A+ for originality.:Thumbs:
Breathitt teams that won back to back. Those championship games were amazing. I really don't have one fav. I like them all.
I dont think theres a team around or has been around that could beat the 1987 Pikeville Panther!
j-strong Wrote:I dont think theres a team around or has been around that could beat the 1987 Pikeville Panther!

I think you are absolutely right. Ive got a video tape of the 87' & 88' champ. teams, and to watch them play is still unbelievable. I was at every game during the season of 87'. If you had the oportunity to ask some of those players during that time which was the hardest hitting and toughest game, i think their answer would be @ cumberland. Score - Pikeville 28 Cumberland 0. They would most likely tell you the coldest game would be at Beechwood. That score was Pikeville 52- Beechwood -28. Coldest night ive' ever seen.:Thumbs:
Late 80's Pikeville Teams By A Mile All You Had To Do Is Play Against Them And You Would Understand, Not Even A Fan Of Pikeville But They Could Have Beat Alot Of Small College Teams Imo. I Still Have Never Seen A Team Come Off The Ball Like That.
vette72 Wrote:Late 80's Pikeville Teams By A Mile All You Had To Do Is Play Against Them And You Would Understand, Not Even A Fan Of Pikeville But They Could Have Beat Alot Of Small College Teams Imo. I Still Have Never Seen A Team Come Off The Ball Like That.

Good point. I remember in the season of 88' it was told that Roy Kid, ( then head coach of E.K.U. ) told coach Howard he would trade his offensive line for Pikeville's anytime. He may not have been for real in saying this, buy still it was told.
Big Five-0- Wrote:Good point. I remember in the season of 88' it was told that Roy Kid, ( then head coach of E.K.U. ) told coach Howard he would trade his offensive line for Pikeville's anytime. He may not have been for real in saying this, buy still it was told.

This is strange. P.C.N. posted this thread but havent heard from him in over several comments ago. ---------HMMMMMM-------- ?????:eyeroll: ?
Hail Pikeville and the rest:
Ashland and Raceland are, indeed, in the geographic region defined as Appalachia, which is aptly named because of the Appalachian "Mountains".
Big Five-0- Wrote:I think you are absolutely right. Ive got a video tape of the 87' & 88' champ. teams, and to watch them play is still unbelievable. I was at every game during the season of 87'. If you had the oportunity to ask some of those players during that time which was the hardest hitting and toughest game, i think their answer would be @ cumberland. Score - Pikeville 28 Cumberland 0. They would most likely tell you the coldest game would be at Beechwood. That score was Pikeville 52- Beechwood -28. Coldest night ive' ever seen.:Thumbs:

Do you have any pictures of the 87 pikeville panther team?
j-strong Wrote:Do you have any pictures of the 87 pikeville panther team?

Yes i do, however it is a scrapbook put togather in the year of 88'. I also have a football program of 1988. The scrapbook is made up of the 87', 88', &89' championship teams. A lot of history there.:Thumbs:
1995,1996,2002 Breathitt Bobcats
Bell's defense is good but who couldnt get 8 shut outs with the other team started on the 20 every time......I think that is one of the biggest hidden yardage in highschool football...
Phelps when ervin stepp played!
:dontthink :dontthink :dontthink
sensitive_baby Wrote:Mighty Pikeville The Greateast High School Team In The Nation 1987. If You Don't Believe It Just Ask Anyone, They'll Tell You!

Smoke Screen.:dontthink
Boss Hog Wrote:Phelps when ervin stepp played!

Phelps has never had a good football program
Big Five-0- Wrote:Yes i do, however it is a scrapbook put togather in the year of 88'. I also have a football program of 1988. The scrapbook is made up of the 87', 88', &89' championship teams. A lot of history there.:Thumbs:

Is there any way you can put a couple of the pictures on here?
j-strong Wrote:Is there any way you can put a couple of the pictures on here?
I

I don't have a scanner, but i'll see what i can come up with. If your ever in the Log Cabin Rest. here in town, check out the pics. They are professionally done. In the area between the Rest. & Lounge, there are some nice pics, then in the Lounge there are plenty of them.:Thumbs:
87' Pikeville Panthers.
Pikeville Panthers of 87'
Most Belfry fans after the '03/'04 championships would still say that those teams were not on the level of the '87 Panthers, though I didn't see a Pikeville Panther team until '95. From what I've heard of though, I wish I'd seen them (even though I'd have been like, 9).

On the subject of Bell County, one also has to look at their competition. It is a widely held belief that after St. X and Trinity, the next 6 best teams in KY in '08 were 3A schools (Highlands being a 3A school, but playing 5A ball).
Sarrr Wrote:Most Belfry fans after the '03/'04 championships would still say that those teams were not on the level of the '87 Panthers, though I didn't see a Pikeville Panther team until '95. From what I've heard of though, I wish I'd seen them (even though I'd have been like, 9).

On the subject of Bell County, one also has to look at their competition. It is a widely held belief that after St. X and Trinity, the next 6 best teams in KY in '08 were 3A schools (Highlands being a 3A school, but playing 5A ball).

You would have to see them play before you could realize how great they were. They had it all . Strength,size,speed athleticism,obviously well coached. But most of all, HEART! WE as PANTHER fans will never forget those friday nights watching Hackney,Deramus, Thornsbury,Mcnamee,Wright, making those touchdowns as well as that massive 0 line blowing holes big enough for a mac truck to drive through, not to mention the BIG DOG DEFENSE that smothered nearly every opponent.--- Great team--- Great memories--- !!:rockon: