Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Raceland 30 - Russell 23
jgrubby Wrote:I thought they did well on the passing D. Mitchell had to fight for a reception every time and always two defenders near him. I did notice the one on one but they were able to break free to help at any time.

Yes, but we won't be playing against Russells quarterback and the only 2pass plays that they run. We will be playing against a division one quarter back with four and 5 wideouts who can all catch and they throw the ball 50 times a game. The odds go way up for us to screw up. I was at the first game... if LCA had a defense at all they would have killed us. They burned our corners all night long, and when they needed it the most instead of going at our corners they tried to go down the middle of the field where our only good defender (Boyles) was. That play call still doesn't make sense to me to this day. All they ran on us all night was stop-and-go's and out and ups. It's not hard to play defense on mitchell when he's the only reciever going out for a pass and it's a streak, and if you noticed....a couple of times he still got behind us. I like Mitchell. I wish he could be a Reciever For Raceland in the playoffs. Do you think we could borrow him?
There were plays called from McGlone the players didnt even know.
RAM-A-DEVIL Wrote:The texas tech spread deal even caught me by suprise. I've seen them do many things this year but not that. The Rams better get Russell out of their minds because LCA is waiting for revenge in the Regional finals. If our pass defense doesn't get better there wont be a 4th round.

Doesn't matter. LCA will never be able to stop Raceland's offense.

The Ram defense needs some work though. Not you, but a bunch of the Raceland fans had been saying that Russell would never move the ball against this team and even be shut out. Well they were wrong. Raceland's best defense is the running game on offense.
Congrats to the Rams. You have something to brag over for a long while. You caught a Russell team down and got a win at the Hank and Senior night. :notworthy Raceland give Russell every way imagine to take over the ball game. Two very bad punts, inside the 15 twice, 30 yrds penalty on one down. And Russell come up with only 3 pts. PLAY CALLING ????????????
#44 Storm touched the ball twice. One slant for 30 yrds. Why not give the ball to the hurricane and let him tear it up. The kid is very strong and quick. And plays with his heart. Don't even know the kid and you thought he had been a Red Devil all his life.
#44 FB, #13 TB, #34 WB. # 50 Stapleton was a great addition to the D-fence.
Where were the ends on the counter that Raceland kept running ???????
I agree that Russell played better but, Raceland 1-A. Russell is 3-A please ????????????? should NOT have even been a game. But the RAMBLERS won and have bragging rights for the rest of there life. CONGRATS
Raceland had been preparing for this game for 364 days and Russell just took it. This class has had problems for a long time and it aint over. Hate to say it but call it like it is. It takes all 11 to play as a team to get it done ???????
Russell takes a week off and let me the first to say that Pike Co Central plays a very tough schedule, and they to will be no push over. It only gets tougher from here on out. I hate to be the one to let some air out of the balloon but this team needs a major attitude adjust. The O Line just will not play 4 downs. AJ has no trust in them, and it shows,scramble, scramble, scramble, get rid of it. In the old days that was taken care of in the locker room at the next practice. You cannot play one and take two off. It just does not work that way. And I know that there is more linemen that can do no worse. At least they will give you there heart. Again call it like it is.
Congrats to a good Raceland team.
I've got to throw this in.

Everyone saw a great game last night. And in saying that I mean everyone got to see it, unlike last year. If they are going to continue this series then the games need to be played at Russell where the stadium is big enough to support the crowd.

If not. End the series for good.
pitchfork Wrote:Congrats to the Rams. You have something to brag over for a long while. You caught a Russell team down and got a win at the Hank and Senior night. :notworthy Raceland give Russell every way imagine to take over the ball game. Two very bad punts, inside the 15 twice, 30 yrds penalty on one down. And Russell come up with only 3 pts. PLAY CALLING ????????????
#44 Storm touched the ball twice. One slant for 30 yrds. Why not give the ball to the hurricane and let him tear it up. The kid is very strong and quick. And plays with his heart. Don't even know the kid and you thought he had been a Red Devil all his life.
#44 FB, #13 TB, #34 WB. # 50 Stapleton was a great addition to the D-fence.
Where were the ends on the counter that Raceland kept running ???????
I agree that Russell played better but, Raceland 1-A. Russell is 3-A please ????????????? should NOT have even been a game. But the RAMBLERS won and have bragging rights for the rest of there life. CONGRATS
Raceland had been preparing for this game for 364 days and Russell just took it. This class has had problems for a long time and it aint over. Hate to say it but call it like it is. It takes all 11 to play as a team to get it done ???????
Russell takes a week off and let me the first to say that Pike Co Central plays a very tough schedule, and they to will be no push over. It only gets tougher from here on out. I hate to be the one to let some air out of the balloon but this team needs a major attitude adjust. The O Line just will not play 4 downs. AJ has no trust in them, and it shows,scramble, scramble, scramble, get rid of it. In the old days that was taken care of in the locker room at the next practice. You cannot play one and take two off. It just does not work that way. And I know that there is more linemen that can do no worse. At least they will give you there heart. Again call it like it is.
Congrats to a good Raceland team.
Dang I don't know where to start with this one.

First, concerning Pike County Central. They do not play tough schedule. They are not a good team. It shouldn't be much of a game.

Second, I agree getting Stapleton in on defense has been a very good move. He is quick to the ball and is one of the better tacklers on the team.

And C. The line did have their mistakes. The most glaring was Logan comming through untouched for a huge sack that took a scoring opportunity away from Russell after one of those short punts. But all in all the line play wasn't bad. There were missed blocks but there were also some holes missed by the backs and yes even some mistakes by the quarterback. Overall though the effort was there. Hopefully the execution follows the effort into the playoffs.
Did not say it wasn't a good game. It was, but when you major oppotunities to points on the board. You can not come away with just 3 pts. And was not putting any blame on the QB. But when you are suppose to be pass blocking. NO ONE should be coming thru between the ends cause Russell only sends 1 or maybe 2 receivers. But why call a Pass play when you have a solid back field even with #38 out??????? Just to many missed opportunites to take total charge of the game. Then maybe the Raceland Fire Dept. would not have blaring there sirens starting in Flatwoods.
If Pike Co played a weak schedule then where does that leave Russell.
Let's see Pike Co. played Hazard, Boyd Co. Tolsia WV. Sheldon Clark, Belfry. Looks like it will be a even matched game. Don't get me wrong. Russell Should win. And I will always root for Russell. But I don't wear marron colored glasses. Russell needs to get focused from the coaches down and put the best 11 on the field. As I have always said. This team has the talent. Thay just need to think as a team and not individual.
You really think that is a tougher schedule? I don't care what color glasses you wear. My visions is 20/20 I don't wear any

Pike County Central's only wins are against Phelps, Magoffin County and East Ridge and lost to Paintsville this week.

I do agree that Russell did blow too many opportunities for points in the game with Raceland. That is why they got beat. But all of the mistakes made were not on the offensive line.
Never said that the O-line made ALL the mistakes. Cause it was evident that the defence had there share. But again Russell had many opps. to change the out come and did not capitalize on them. Again why call a pass play when your running game is moving. Ivan of years ago would beat you to death with just 5 plays if you could not stop them. Again the line cannot take one down off. The one play you take off is always the one that you were needed. There are other players that can block just as good on the sideline. Perkins, Riffe,
T. Peterman, Alshouse, DeHoff, just a few that come to mind.
Again I will root for the Devils until the last whistle blows.
pitchfork Wrote:Never said that the O-line made ALL the mistakes. Cause it was evident that the defence had there share. But again Russell had many opps. to change the out come and did not capitalize on them. Again why call a pass play when your running game is moving. Ivan of years ago would beat you to death with just 5 plays if you could not stop them. Again the line cannot take one down off. The one play you take off is always the one that you were needed. There are other players that can block just as good on the sideline. Perkins, Riffe,

And again I agree with alot of what you are saying. I think the players you mentioned are fine if they are given the opportunity. I just think the offensive line played pretty well for most of the game.

On defense the ends were beat way too many times on the counter play losing their containment. That and you cannot tackle Denton high. Can't arm tackle that kid either. You have too drive through low and take his base out from under him. He is tough.
I have a question? Was this one of Racelands off nights or was this Russell team having a good night or are they both about equally matched?
bac2369 Wrote:I have a question? Was this one of Racelands off nights or was this Russell team having a good night or are they both about equally matched?

i think it was a combination. as far as team numbers/depth goes, i think russell had the upperhand. i was curious as to the play calling from both teams. i was suprised to see raceland come out gun slinging in the first possession. especially with russell defending the pass like that had this year. kind of had me wondering how the night was going to go. really i think if this game was played 10 times at best it would go 6-4 either way. these teams are really close. raceland needed to play some real size/power. they hadn't since the ashland game, and they ran all LCA they needed four quarters of football. and with this game being as big of a rivalry as all raceland/russell games are (no matter the sport) you can't ever count anyone out. though it could cause me a heart attack in my later years, i wish every football game i watched could be has high impact/energy as this one was.
bac2369 Wrote:I have a question? Was this one of Racelands off nights or was this Russell team having a good night or are they both about equally matched?
They were pretty evenly matched.

People on here should not take Russell lightly. They have lost to four good teams. Russell fans are spoiled and have complained. Fans of other schools for the most part are glad to see Russell take a few hits and claim them to be down.

All I can say is that if you think Russell is not one of the better teams in Eastern Kentucky or one of the top teams in 3A you are just fooling yourself.

Raceland will go a long way in the 1A playoffs. Personally I think they roll into Papa Johns and then get one handed to them by Beechwood in the championship game.
FBALL Wrote:They were pretty evenly matched.

People on here should not take Russell lightly. They have lost to four good teams. Russell fans are spoiled and have complained. Fans of other schools for the most part are glad to see Russell take a few hits and claim them to be down.

All I can say is that if you think Russell is not one of the better teams in Eastern Kentucky or one of the top teams in 3A you are just fooling yourself.

Raceland will go a long way in the 1A playoffs. Personally I think they roll into Papa Johns and then get one handed to them by Beechwood in the championship game.

I think your very wrong on getting one handed to them. There are 4 teams in the eastern part of the state that can compete with Beechwood and i possibly think can beat Beechwood. Hazard, Raceland, LCA, and the darkhorse Williamsburg.
bac2369 Wrote:I think your very wrong on getting one handed to them. There are 4 teams in the eastern part of the state that can compete with Beechwood and i possibly think can beat Beechwood. Hazard, Raceland, LCA, and the darkhorse Williamsburg.

I'm sorry but I don't think any of them even come close.
FBALL Wrote:You really think that is a tougher schedule? I don't care what color glasses you wear. My visions is 20/20 I don't wear any

Pike County Central's only wins are against Phelps, Magoffin County and East Ridge and lost to Paintsville this week.

I do agree that Russell did blow too many opportunities for points in the game with Raceland. That is why they got beat. But all of the mistakes made were not on the offensive line.

I agree Russell should roll, Raceland took Paintsville to the woodshed 51-12 and Pike Central lost to Paintsville 12-7.
FBALL Wrote:I've got to throw this in.

Everyone saw a great game last night. And in saying that I mean everyone got to see it, unlike last year. If they are going to continue this series then the games need to be played at Russell where the stadium is big enough to support the crowd.

If not. End the series for good.
What you mean is Raceland needs to set on the Russell side the next time we play there because we had more fans there. There were a lot of Empty seats on the Russell side. The only advantage for the Raceland people playing at Russell every year would be the fact that we wouldn't have to listen to our obnoxious press box announcer. FIRST DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!
FBALL Wrote:They were pretty evenly matched.

You got that right. Ivan:rockon: will have them ready for a deep playoff run.
RAM-A-DEVIL Wrote:What you mean is Raceland needs to set on the Russell side the next time we play there because we had more fans there. There were a lot of Empty seats on the Russell side. The only advantage for the Raceland people playing at Russell every year would be the fact that we wouldn't have to listen to our obnoxious press box announcer. FIRST DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!

If you want to trade sides thats fine with me. What ever it takes so we don't have to crowd into the cracker box with no cornors and not see a game being played. We could all park and tailgate without having to be bussed to the school or walk two miles down the highway. As long as we don't have to go there again its all good with me.

I doubt Raceland had more there than Russell. There are alot more seats on the home side and Raceland fans were not the only ones standing. My seat was empty but I was there. And Since the stadium is large and spacious we all got to comfortably view the game.

Have they come down off of there cloud yet? They got their 1 in every 10 year win if the series continues. They won there super bowl finally maybe some of them can get a grip on reality now. Knowing them though I doubt it.

Yeah you can leave your announcer at home.
pitchfork Wrote:Never said that the O-line made ALL the mistakes. Cause it was evident that the defence had there share. But again Russell had many opps. to change the out come and did not capitalize on them. Again why call a pass play when your running game is moving. Ivan of years ago would beat you to death with just 5 plays if you could not stop them. Again the line cannot take one down off. The one play you take off is always the one that you were needed. There are other players that can block just as good on the sideline. Perkins, Riffe,

haha.wow that is really funny.. i think you need to have a cat scan done then because there has got to be something wrong with your mind. I watched the game and I think it has alot to do with play calling because if an 8-26 bootleg doest work 5 times then its not going to work the 6th. 8 split fly has not worked all year mabye try it once but not twice. Bottom line Russell had a different mind set coming into this game and all through this game. Something or someone light a fire underneath their hind ends. O-line did quite well as far as the right side of the line goes i thought, but obviously everyone has their different opinions.
This Raceland team was good that for sure. But if this was their best team ever, and they only beat an ok Russell by seven :Shaking: thats really funny. Live it up now Raceland becuase you'll probably never see that sight that you did on Friday night ever again.. and if you all don't understand that i meant beating russellSmile
I only have one problem with the play calling. Please stop running the reverse! Everybody knows its comming and is prepared for it. More times than not it ends up being a negative play. Go counter or sprit pass where the QB has a run/pass option to change things up but get rid of the reverse for a while. I hate that play.

Pburg. I disagree about the bootleg. It was close to going for big yards. There were a couple of times where if Cordle could have shaken off one tackler then he would have had alot of room to run. I do agree about the line play and the fact that it was about time that this team played with a little fire.
PBurg1313 Wrote:haha.wow that is really funny.. i think you need to have a cat scan done then because there has got to be something wrong with your mind. I watched the game and I think it has alot to do with play calling because if an 8-26 bootleg doest work 5 times then its not going to work the 6th. 8 split fly has not worked all year mabye try it once but not twice. Bottom line Russell had a different mind set coming into this game and all through this game. Something or someone light a fire underneath their hind ends. O-line did quite well as far as the right side of the line goes i thought, but obviously everyone has their different opinions.

Had a CAT Scan and it was empty. 1st, 8-26 bootleg is a play that you set up and burn the d-fence after they bite on enough plays to the right side. And if it don't work 5 times maybe the left side line is the weak spot? But CAT scan is empty. AJ would drop back to pass and 80% of the time the pressure came from the left side from a blitz that did not get picked up or just there were no blocking. This has been happening all year and Ashland exploitted it and every body followed suit.
What bothers me is these kids have all the talent but just can't seem to jell together. Bottom line is you have to BLOCK & TACKLE and Russell has problems doing both. The kicker made the best tackle of the night.
Enough said, Russell still has time to turn the pitchfork on the other team and give it to them in the kyster. Get ready for PCC and then to the CAM and give the Pirates a dose of something they have not seen. :devilflam :devilflam
It was a good game, I thought Russell had the chance to put raceland away in the 3rd. We opened up the half with a near 5 minute drive, just running it right down their throats. They were sucking wind hard, we hold them to a 3 and out, and they have a ppor kick, we get the ball on their 35. 3 straight pass plays and we punt. The same happens next time. Whoever called the plays in the 3rd quarter needs to step down and maybe never coach again. It was so obvious they couldn't stop Drew on the outside, yet we only went their a few times.
If we are going to pass we need to throw some shorter routes, not every route needs to be 15 yards down field. Our DB's may be the worst tacklers Ive ever seen in my life. If you're scared to take a hit, then you need to stay home on Friday nights.

Other than that the energy level was much better, and as long as the team comes out with that energy and with a chip on their shoulder with something to proove. The sideline was much more into the game, usually they don't even watch the game and carry on conversations about World of Warcraft.

Line still needs to get tougher, but they did much better. I like the I formation, especially if you split a reciever out to both sides, and put Dillon at LT.
Must have been a great game would have loved to seen it. I heard about it. I can bet old Ivan will be in the hunt in Dec.
Beetle01 Wrote:It was a good game, I thought Russell had the chance to put raceland away in the 3rd. We opened up the half with a near 5 minute drive, just running it right down their throats. They were sucking wind hard, we hold them to a 3 and out, and they have a ppor kick, we get the ball on their 35. 3 straight pass plays and we punt. The same happens next time. Whoever called the plays in the 3rd quarter needs to step down and maybe never coach again. It was so obvious they couldn't stop Drew on the outside, yet we only went their a few times.
If we are going to pass we need to throw some shorter routes, not every route needs to be 15 yards down field. Our DB's may be the worst tacklers Ive ever seen in my life. If you're scared to take a hit, then you need to stay home on Friday nights.

Other than that the energy level was much better, and as long as the team comes out with that energy and with a chip on their shoulder with something to proove. The sideline was much more into the game, usually they don't even watch the game and carry on conversations about World of Warcraft.

Line still needs to get tougher, but they did much better. I like the I formation, especially if you split a reciever out to both sides, and put Dillon at LT.

i agree with the short routs, i'd look at a bubble screen or flat pass to abrams, he hits the cut back so hard i think these could work
What happen to the bread and butter play of the counter? I haven't seen a counter play in years. That use to be one of Ivan's favorite. With the size of Will Rice he could be hidden enough to run it. His quick feet for at least 5 to 8 yards.
RUSSELL RED DEVILS
It just seems this year to me, the play calling has been poorly timed. It seems that when we need to run, we pass, and vice versa. especially the last 2 games. All season we should have been airing it out more, but they were going to Drew 25+ times a game. Now when Dave is out hurt, they goto the pass? It makes no sense to me. We've ran nearly 40 pass plays the last 2 games. When Drew, Will, and Storm were running down their throats, we went to an air raid offense. Now anyone want to take a bet that when we play Belfry, a team noone beats by running it down their throats, we will be lucky to see 5 pass plays?
That is comoletely true Beetle. But one problem with the screen passes is that well if you didnt happen to watch in the Raceland game we tried to run a screen right or some little bubble pass to the right and it ended up being 3 or 4 feet about drews hand which was fully extended. Tyler Jones didnt have the best line through the years he had people rushing in after him. Lets go back to Belfry in 06 we ran a sprint left or something or another and he had a guy rushing him and he hit the guy fought off of him and then threw oh probably a 30 yeard pass to marcus frazier i believe in the endzone. Tyler was an exceptional player all around. im just saying the line thing didnt start just this year its been going on as far as the pass game is concerned.
PBurg1313 Wrote:That is comoletely true Beetle. But one problem with the screen passes is that well if you didnt happen to watch in the Raceland game we tried to run a screen right or some little bubble pass to the right and it ended up being 3 or 4 feet about drews hand which was fully extended. Tyler Jones didnt have the best line through the years he had people rushing in after him. Lets go back to Belfry in 06 we ran a sprint left or something or another and he had a guy rushing him and he hit the guy fought off of him and then threw oh probably a 30 yeard pass to marcus frazier i believe in the endzone. Tyler was an exceptional player all around. im just saying the line thing didnt start just this year its been going on as far as the pass game is concerned.

We have played against teams all year, who's best attribute is their line play.

Ashland, Raceland, SK, and Mason Co all have very good lines with D1 talent on their lines. Whereas we have a very inexperienced line. 2 new guards, new center, new left tackle, thats 4 out of 5 new this season. Jones has played RB his whole life till this year. So its been a big change, hopefully he can take the attitude to show how good a player he is by excelling at the guard position in the playoffs, not wishing he was in the backfield. A true athlete can play any position on the field, and be the best at that position. I call him out because he can be the one to really make a difference when it gets down to nut cutting time.

I also want to add that the hold at the end of the game is probably the worst call Ive ever seen in my enitre life, the guy just got ran over, and ol white hat decided he would decide the outcome of the game.

This team needs to put a chip on their shoulder, the only way to redeem losing to Raceland @ home is to make it to Louisville. you should play every game from here on out with 2 teams in mind. Ashland and Raceland. Thats truly who you are playing against, because those are the 2 games in which this team will be judged. Those games should be replaying in your head over and over.