Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where is Slone going to college?
In today's Courier Journal Paintsville coach BMR is quoted, Slone hasn't had any offers yet and he felt it was a shame.
article is in Courier-Journal.com/recruiting in the first article titled: Wildcats get first 09 football signeee
kyrifle Wrote:In today's Courier Journal Paintsville coach BMR is quoted, Slone hasn't had any offers yet and he felt it was a shame.
article is in Courier-Journal.com/recruiting in the first article titled: Wildcats get first 09 football signeee
Why would the coach say anything about how he feels, noone cares on how he feels.
RavenBoy Wrote:Why would the coach say anything about how he feels, noone cares on how he feels.

That's heartless hm.
:flame:
Survivor Wrote:That's heartless hm.
:flame:
oh now HL, you now everyone wants to hear about Slone and not how his coach feels.
RavenBoy Wrote:Why would the coach say anything about how he feels, noone cares on how he feels.
This makes the third time Runyon has been quoted saying the same thing. He may think coaches read this stuff and he's trying to shame someone into offering something. Dosen't work that way.
kyrifle Wrote:This makes the third time Runyon has been quoted saying the same thing. He may think coaches read this stuff and he's trying to shame someone into offering something. Dosen't work that way.
Yea I know, Its all about how Slone plays not how the coach feels.
RavenBoy Wrote:oh now HL, you now everyone wants to hear about Slone and not how his coach feels.

Personally I've heard enough about him and really don't care much how his coach feels either. Let it be. Everyone will know in about a month where he's going.
UK only has 3 scholarships left right now, Darrius Miller has one, DeAndre Liggins has the other, and Scotty Hopson may get the other. So you all think that they will take a scholarship away from the #9 player in the nation and give to Landon Slone??? I dont think so, only way he can go to UK is to walk on. Plain and simple.
Alice Lloyd or Pikeville. He isn't even ranked in the top 10 players in kentucky. I think if UK is going to give a full basketball scholarship wouldn't they give it to a player in the running for mr. kentucky basketball like Darius Miller? Or at least to somebody ranked in the top 10 players.
PhiSlamaJama#12 Wrote:UK only has 3 scholarships left right now, Darrius Miller has one, DeAndre Liggins has the other, and Scotty Hopson may get the other. So you all think that they will take a scholarship away from the #9 player in the nation and give to Landon Slone??? I dont think so, only way he can go to UK is to walk on. Plain and simple.
Well that's a given. Even if they were gonna give the scholarship to a ky kid I highly doubt they would give it to Slone. They could go to Lex. or Louisville and find 10 players that are better. At the D-1 level I think he will be a walk-on.
[quote=The Joker]Well that's a given. Even if they were gonna give the scholarship to a ky kid I highly doubt they would give it to Slone. They could go to Lex. or Louisville and find 10 players that are better. At the D-1 level I think he will be a walk-on.[/QUOTE

I think Slone can play D-1 and will somewhere. Whether it is a UK size school or not remains to be seen. But think about D-1 for just a minute.....that is a lot more than the UK's and UofL's. There are around 300 schools in that D-1 category. You don't think Slone would have the skills to play at a Marshall, Austin Peay, Eastern size school? People may not always "love" BMR but you gotta give the man his due---he knows talent when he sees it. If he says Slone is one of the best players he has had that is good enough for me---and should be for the rest of us too. I bet BMR knows more about basketball than you and I combined ever knew.
luv2cheer Wrote:Alice Lloyd or Pikeville. He isn't even ranked in the top 10 players in kentucky. I think if UK is going to give a full basketball scholarship wouldn't they give it to a player in the running for mr. kentucky basketball like Darius Miller? Or at least to somebody ranked in the top 10 players.

Rankings dont mean as much as people think. Players in eastern ky. don't get noticed as much. It's as simple as that.
transplanttiger Wrote:[quote=The Joker]Well that's a given. Even if they were gonna give the scholarship to a ky kid I highly doubt they would give it to Slone. They could go to Lex. or Louisville and find 10 players that are better. At the D-1 level I think he will be a walk-on.[/QUOTE

I think Slone can play D-1 and will somewhere. Whether it is a UK size school or not remains to be seen. But think about D-1 for just a minute.....that is a lot more than the UK's and UofL's. There are around 300 schools in that D-1 category. You don't think Slone would have the skills to play at a Marshall, Austin Peay, Eastern size school? People may not always "love" BMR but you gotta give the man his due---he knows talent when he sees it. If he says Slone is one of the best players he has had that is good enough for me---and should be for the rest of us too. I bet BMR knows more about basketball than you and I combined ever knew.
Do you realize the talent level it takes to play at the likes of Georgetown, Pikeville, Cumberlands, or Lindsey Wilson? You have to be a heck of a player just to go there and get PT. To me it would be quite an honor to actually get to play at one of those places. Apparently most on here highly underestimate the challange that lies in playing at those schools. Ask Jamie McCarty how hard it is to play even at NAIA DII Berea. He has barely even gotten to see the floor this season. I think they are both fairly comperable in talent.
I'd like to see Landon at UK, but I think Marshall and the others that were mentioned are more appropriate.
I can't understand why anyone would believe Stepp or Slone qualify as UK material. Have either of these ever been Mr. Basketball, won a state championship. My understanding is Clark Stepp did not even get player of the year for his region & even got beat in the first game of the district. Of these two players Slone is better, and he hasn't gotten a offer from U.K. There are several players in the 14th. region better than Stepp.
the_last_crusader Wrote:There are several players in the 14th. region better than Stepp.
I dont know about that now.

I could see Slone going to GTown or Pikeville but not ALC, I havent seen him play that often but I know he is better than anyone on ALC team.
I look for Slone to go to a D1 school, the calaber of the school to be determined soon enough. The majority of the guys that play at Pikeville and G'town are D1 rejects that have flunked out or got kicked out for other reasons at bigger schools.
IRISH4 Wrote:I look for Slone to go to a D1 school, the calaber of the school to be determined soon enough. The majority of the guys that play at Pikeville and G'town are D1 rejects that have flunked out or got kicked out for other reasons at bigger schools.
Your right but they were still D1 Players.
RavenBoy Wrote:Your right but they were still D1 Players.

I know, but they have made the mistakes at those high institutions that led them to being at NAIA G'town or Pikeville. Landon, on the other hand, has done everything right and put forth that effort to be a great player....that's what distinguishes him from ending up on that level....just my opinion. :thumpsup:
I know whats your saying.

If he can make it at a D1 school, then more power to him but an average joe cant make the Pville or Gtown team.
True, it'd really be an honor to play for Happy and G'town playing for national titles year in and year out. I just hope whatever he does makes him happy.
if slone went to kentucky, that would be a bad move on UK recruiting class. Slone is not a SEC type of player and would get NO playing time while he was attending kentucky. If he went to Marshall it would be a great fit for him. Matt Walls and Slone are similar players and would play together really well. Georgetown would be another great fit for Slone but remember that he would not get much playing time there either seeing that Georgetown is always one of the nations best in their division and get GREAT Division-1 material every semester, so it would be very hard for Slone to get playing time there also. But as for him going to Kentucky, if he did, then he would be doing it for himself and not for playing time.
It would not shock me if Landon was headed for Campbellsville University where Keith Adkins is head coach. (A former BMR pupil and ex- PHS Tiger) Adkins was at the Championship game of the 57th District and spoke with Landon after words. I think that would be a great fit for Slone. Adkins is a top coach in his division and runs a great system. Maybe Marshall if he wanted D-1 or how about a Walk-On spot for the Razorbacks????? You never know.
I personally don't know why Slone would want to walk-on at a school. Is it just for the sake of saying you signed with a D-1 school? Because when you are a walk-on at a D-1 school your playing career is for the most part over. I think he should try to go to G-Town when he could get some playing time.
luv2cheer Wrote:Alice Lloyd or Pikeville. He isn't even ranked in the top 10 players in kentucky. I think if UK is going to give a full basketball scholarship wouldn't they give it to a player in the running for mr. kentucky basketball like Darius Miller? Or at least to somebody ranked in the top 10 players.

Darius Miller has already committed to UK.
If I was him, I wouldnt accept a walk on anywhere. He is good enough to get a full ride somewhere. Why pay $20,000 when you can get it free. Now if he is rich then it wouldnt matter much. I dont know how wealthy his family is but I sure wouldnt walk on when I could get a full ride somewhere.
[COLOR="Blue"]Well personally could care less where the heck he goes
lol
I just wish him the best of luck where ever it is!
Regardless, Lando is an AMAZING ball, and deserves to be somewhere AMAZING where ever that may be
GOOD LUCK to Landon and the Tigers With the rest of the season, and kick some Wildcat Butt!!
haha
[/COLOR]
He will not be coming to UK on anything other than a walkon status, UK just does not have room to spend on him when players like Hopson are looming. I will say that he would be a star at an NAIA school and MAYBE even a good player at morehead or eastern. The one thing that I think could push him to go to UK, is the chance to tell his kids and grandkids, "I played basketball for the Kentucky Wildcats." How many kids from the mountains get to say that? BTW I don' tknow how his academics is but who is to say he would not a full academic scholly?
we've got him getting a scholarship and walking on everywhere. Can we let it die until he announces he's actually going somewhere?
fairplayer Wrote:we've got him getting a scholarship and walking on everywhere. Can we let it die until he announces he's actually going somewhere?
What is the big deal? Everyone is just giving their opinion. Isnt that what you suppost to do on here?