Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next Coach at Pikeville High School
HazzBeen Wrote:The main goal of the community should be to get a coach who is going to prepare these kids for life and turn them into men. Jackson didn't win any state titles at Pikeville but I wonder how many kids he impacted in a positive way during his 3 years. I could say the same thing for McNamee and Chapman. If you do things the right way long enough, the state titles will come. Phillip Haywood is the best example I can think of. What if they would have got rid of him after 4 years of not winning a state title? Don't get me wrong state title's are great, but is this all we want out of coaches?

I totally agree. I cannot think of anyone who would be a better role model for these young men than Chris McNamee. Hillard Howard coached him, he has been part of the community, and he is an outstanding man with great character. He may be at a different school but he bleeds maroon!
master the universe Wrote:If I were Copley it would be like a slap in the face if I wasn't hired as the HC and I personally wouldn't stick around knowing that everything I had been doing and was doing was going unnoticed. Of course if the other candidate gets the job then Copley could always reapply in 2-3 years when that guy leaves.

It wouldn't be a slap in the face. If he wants to build the program and has it's best interest at heart he would take an assistant coaching position. Look at former Pikeville assistants who stayed forever and were as loyal as a head coach- Mahan, Allara, Howell, etc.
gymrat Wrote:Not to get off topic, but has everyone seen Harmon lately? He's getting huge.

Monster...due to Copleys off-season program and Dedication--morale is great up in the weight room after school players seem to be enthusiastic everything is going well .... Now it's time to hire the right man for the Job

:thumpsup:
kyrifle Wrote:You're not exactly right on all your facts. Yes Copley was the strength and conditioning coach for Lemaster and Chuke was in the running for the head coaching position. When Lemaster resigned the AD had the weight lifting and conditioning programs closed until the new coach was in place. When BMR was hired as head coach he offered Michael the same position as he had with Coach Lemaster. Michael didn't want to coach somewhere that Chuke wasn't involved with.

Sounds pretty much like what I said, didn't know that BMR shut down the program until the new coach was hired. Chuke was involved at Pikeville the following season??
From what I have been told by alot of people Chuke has been ran out of every school system he's been apart of. Is he even coaching anywhere now?
Panther Tradition Wrote:You obviously haven't been around Pikeville long. Jobs aren't created in that district- they are few and far between in the elementary and hard to come by. It doesn't matter if you are the coach's wife or not...

Long enough to know that they are very hard to come by and even harder to keep if your not tenured. That's one of the reasons Pikeville has the best teachers in the state. All I was wondering is what Coach Hensley's wife teaches. I guess she teaches at the elementary level by reading your statement. I don't think Coach Hensley would make a move here without her being able to gain employment. Why so defensive? I didn't imply or say anything out of the way.

Why are you trying to make me out to be the bad guy, here?
HazzBeen Wrote:The main goal of the community should be to get a coach who is going to prepare these kids for life and turn them into men. Jackson didn't win any state titles at Pikeville but I wonder how many kids he impacted in a positive way during his 3 years. I could say the same thing for McNamee and Chapman. If you do things the right way long enough, the state titles will come. Phillip Haywood is the best example I can think of. What if they would have got rid of him after 4 years of not winning a state title? Don't get me wrong state title's are great, but is this all we want out of coaches?
What do you think? I want some win at all costs scumbag in here as coach? You should know me better than that. Of course he has to be a good example and a good role model. I just figured that was a given and went without saying. But, with all that being said. A football coaches job is to win football games. Fairly and by the rules of course. But that IS his job. At any job you can be the most moral and upstanding human being on earth but if you arent good at your job you wont have it long. Especialy a coach at a program that is tradition rich and is hungry to get back on top.
OMG Wrote:From what I have been told by alot of people Chuke has been ran out of every school system he's been apart of. Is he even coaching anywhere now?

No I don't think Chuke was a part of Pikeville. He simply said that Copley didn't want to be part of a program, that Chuke wasn't part of and to my knowledge Chuke wasn't part of the Panther program ever. Copley is a great asset and a strong candidate for a young head coach somewhere. The point I'm trying to make is, to my knowledge the weight program wasn't completely shut down due to the resignation of Burrhead. BMR was hired and Copley was ask to come back as an assistant, he declined. Which disappointed a bunch of kids who cared about him and I thought he cared about. Like I said before maybe there is more than meets the eye and Copley has to do what's best for him. So I can't knock him for that.
The Blue Blur Wrote:Sounds pretty much like what I said, didn't know that BMR shut down the program until the new coach was hired. Chuke was involved at Pikeville the following season??

Chuke has never been at Pikeville as far as I can remember.
Panther Tradition Wrote:I totally agree. I cannot think of anyone who would be a better role model for these young men than Chris McNamee. Hillard Howard coached him, he has been part of the community, and he is an outstanding man with great character. He may be at a different school but he bleeds maroon!

Why do you people insist on bringing up people for this job that are not even in the running?
Panther Tradition Wrote:It wouldn't be a slap in the face. If he wants to build the program and has it's best interest at heart he would take an assistant coaching position. Look at former Pikeville assistants who stayed forever and were as loyal as a head coach- Mahan, Allara, Howell, etc.

As loyal as they all may have been, then why is Howell no longer at Pikeville. Nothing against him because as smart as he is I am sure he felt that there was a better opportunity for him at TC. Allara never had to worry about who was going to be coach at Pikeville after Howard because he knew he would be the successor to the throne. Did Mahan coach anywhere after his Pikeville days?
The Blue Blur Wrote:No I don't think Chuke was a part of Pikeville. He simply said that Copley didn't want to be part of a program, that Chuke wasn't part of and to my knowledge Chuke wasn't part of the Panther program ever. Copley is a great asset and a strong candidate for a young head coach somewhere. The point I'm trying to make is, to my knowledge the weight program wasn't completely shut down due to the resignation of Burrhead. BMR was hired and Copley was ask to come back as an assistant, he declined. Which disappointed a bunch of kids who cared about him and I thought he cared about. Like I said before maybe there is more than meets the eye and Copley has to do what's best for him. So I can't knock him for that.

Anybody in their right mind would jump at the opportunity to leave Paintsville and coach football at Pikeville. Copley did care about those kids because I have heard how he still talks about some of them and if I am not mistaken after both games this past year I looked down on the field and saw Copley embracing those kids as if they were his own. There was a better opportunity for him at Pikeville and he took it. What is so wrong with that?
Are they going to open this job up again or not. People on here are saying that they are but I don't think that the administration is going to.
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:What do you think? I want some win at all costs scumbag in here as coach? You should know me better than that. Of course he has to be a good example and a good role model. I just figured that was a given and went without saying. But, with all that being said. A football coaches job is to win football games. Fairly and by the rules of course. But that IS his job. At any job you can be the most moral and upstanding human being on earth but if you arent good at your job you wont have it long. Especialy a coach at a program that is tradition rich and is hungry to get back on top.

I know you don't want that big guy.Big Grin I was just stating that Pikeville has had some good coaches and the pressure of winning as ran them off in my opinion. I know you more than anyone want the best for Pikeville football. Even I do and I am coaching at a different school.
Capt. DH Wrote:Why do you people insist on bringing up people for this job that are not even in the running?

Maybe they want McNamee to have the job. Why do you insist that Copley gets the job?
Capt. DH Wrote:As loyal as they all may have been, then why is Howell no longer at Pikeville. Nothing against him because as smart as he is I am sure he felt that there was a better opportunity for him at TC. Allara never had to worry about who was going to be coach at Pikeville after Howard because he knew he would be the successor to the throne. Did Mahan coach anywhere after his Pikeville days?

Hillard Howard retired from Pikeville and went to work for Pike County Schools as a SAFE Schools Coordinator and Head Football Coach at Shelby Valley.... you would imagine that if Pikeville was loyal to its people, then Hillard would never have left to work for the people whom he competed against for all those years. He now is the Head Coach at Letcher Co. Central.

Bill Allara retired ...... Coached at Pikeville on-and-off for a few years and finished his coaching career at Shelby Valley AFTER Pikeville stopped being loyal to him!

Joe Mahan retired and went to Myrtle Beach.....he hasn't coached since. He has only been back to Pikeville a couple of times since 1996.... Pikeville passed him over to hire Royce Mayo as Head Coach.

Howell left for a better opportunity at Tates Creek AFTER Pikeville stopped being loyal to him!

McNamee left for Pike County Central AFTER Pikeville stopped being loyal to him!

And the list goes on and on............

As a Pikeville Alumn, it pains me to say this:

THERE IS A COMMON THREAD THAT RUNS TRUE THROUGH ALL OF THIS..... Good 'ol Pikeville High School IS NOT loyal to anyone except Pikeville High School!

SOMEONE PLEASE STOP THE INSANITY!! CALL IN THE OLD BOYS TO STRAIGHTEN THIS PLACE OUT BEFORE IT IS TOO LATE!!!!
I heard from some Lawrence county officals that Chuke would have been in trouble there like Matney at JC if the hadnt left there when he did.
P-Villain! Wrote:Monster...due to Copleys off-season program and Dedication--morale is great up in the weight room after school players seem to be enthusiastic everything is going well .... Now it's time to hire the right man for the Job

:thumpsup:

I am so tired of people on this board promoting the Pikeville High School weight program. Copley is not the reason, nor any specific coach the reason that one will gain muscle mass or strength. It lies in the heart of the individual. Anyone that works out and eats properly at these kids age will gain muscle and strength. You act like this is the only program in the country that is getting stronger and it all because Copley. Look around the Eastern Ky and you will find programs that Dont promote themselves or the person running the weightroom, but kids are growing and getting stronger. Russell, Ashland, JC,Belfry,LCC, for a few examples
3Cat Wrote:I am so tired of people on this board promoting the Pikeville High School weight program. Copley is not the reason, nor any specific coach the reason that one will gain muscle mass or strength. It lies in the heart of the individual. Anyone that works out and eats properly at these kids age will gain muscle and strength. You act like this is the only program in the country that is getting stronger and it all because Copley. Look around the Eastern Ky and you will find programs that Dont promote themselves or the person running the weightroom, but kids are growing and getting stronger. Russell, Ashland, JC,Belfry,LCC, for a few examples

What is that smell? Hmmmm......very interesting. That smell, I have smelled it before. Oh yes, now I know....... It is the smell of jealousy out of you. Let me guess, you got passed over for the head coaching job as well but wasn't put on God of Thunder's list and now is your chance to pout.
Capt. DH Wrote:What is that smell? Hmmmm......very interesting. That smell, I have smelled it before. Oh yes, now I know....... It is the smell of jealousy out of you. Let me guess, you got passed over for the head coaching job as well but wasn't put on God of Thunder's list and now is your chance to pout.

That is apparently the smell of an opinion that you don't agree with! LOL
Capt. DH Wrote:Anybody in their right mind would jump at the opportunity to leave Paintsville and coach football at Pikeville. Copley did care about those kids because I have heard how he still talks about some of them and if I am not mistaken after both games this past year I looked down on the field and saw Copley embracing those kids as if they were his own. There was a better opportunity for him at Pikeville and he took it. What is so wrong with that?

Did you miss the part where I said he had to do what's best for him?? Please tell my at that point in time, what was such a better opportunity at Pikeville than Paintsville. If I remember correctly, Paintsville won the district that following year. What the point of my post is, if he is past over for the head coaching position I couldn't blame him for leaving Pikeville.
The Blue Blur Wrote:Did you miss the part where I said he had to do what's best for him?? Please tell my at that point in time, what was such a better opportunity at Pikeville than Paintsville. If I remember correctly, Paintsville won the district that following year. What the point of my post is, if he is past over for the head coaching position I couldn't blame him for leaving Pikeville.

Pikeville is the better opportunity because Paintsville has 1 win over Pikeville since 1984.
Capt. DH Wrote:As loyal as they all may have been, then why is Howell no longer at Pikeville. Nothing against him because as smart as he is I am sure he felt that there was a better opportunity for him at TC. Allara never had to worry about who was going to be coach at Pikeville after Howard because he knew he would be the successor to the throne. Did Mahan coach anywhere after his Pikeville days?

I think Howell himself explained why he isn't at Pikeville any longer in a previous thread.... you do not need to question his motives.... he was a VERY loyal supporter of Pikeville as a player, a coach, and a teacher and had paid his dues after being there for MANY years....

He has acknowledged that he applied for his current job BEFORE he knew Chris McNamee was leaving and I know that to be a fact! The motives for him seeking to improve his career need not be discussed as he made the best possible decision he could for himself.... LEAVE HIM OUT OF THIS!
jetpilot Wrote:Pikeville is the better opportunity because Paintsville has 1 win over Pikeville since 1984.

That's a good point, but at that point and time they were just as equally matched. Maybe somewhere like Belfry, or Johnson Central is a better opportunity for Copley now if he doesn't get appointed head coach.
transplanttiger Wrote:I heard from some Lawrence county officals that Chuke would have been in trouble there like Matney at JC if the hadnt left there when he did.

I heard that about everywhere he's been.
State Champs Wrote:Are they going to open this job up again or not. People on here are saying that they are but I don't think that the administration is going to.

How can you get down to 2 names and give both a second interview then all of a sudden open this thing back up. 1- they weren't impressed with neither or 2- has a big name coach inquired about the job?
stripminer Wrote:How can you get down to 2 names and give both a second interview then all of a sudden open this thing back up. 1- they weren't impressed with neither or 2- has a big name coach inquired about the job?

I would hope that the big name coach if one has inquired gets a interview.
I would bet that now the girls run at region is over, there will be an announcement. This is only my opinion, I have no inside source or know anyone involved. This is the only logical reason there can be for not naming a coach already, they did not want to take the focus off of the girls basketball team during thier tournaments.
Elwayfan Wrote:Long enough to know that they are very hard to come by and even harder to keep if your not tenured. That's one of the reasons Pikeville has the best teachers in the state. All I was wondering is what Coach Hensley's wife teaches. I guess she teaches at the elementary level by reading your statement. I don't think Coach Hensley would make a move here without her being able to gain employment. Why so defensive? I didn't imply or say anything out of the way.

Why are you trying to make me out to be the bad guy, here?

Not defensive and not making you out to be the bad guy; sorry if you took it that way. I've been close enough to the system for years and I have a lot of respect for Pikeville Independent Schools. They are in it for the kids is what I meant to get across.

I think he retired from Pikeville...