Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paintsville vs. Shelby Valley?
More Cowbell Wrote:I read all the posts very clearly, thank you very much. The King had posted a comparison on how SV had played their first round opponent in the regular season on two separate occasions, and how the tournament games played out differently than the regular-season blowout. Then you made the comment that SV had basically the same team as last year. Think that about covers it?

As I posted before, last season, or any other season, has no bearing on this year's games. If you don't realize that, then that's too bad, but it's true.

And consider this a warning to you, or anyone else on here, not to call anyone else's comments "ridiculous", be they mine or any other member's. Disagreements are welcomed here, derogatory comments are not.

I didn't mean to call your comments rediculus. I just didn't appreciate how you came at me the way you did when all I was doing was agreeing with the original comment that was made, but I guess that's how it goes. I understand last year was last year, and I was simply agreeing with the other comment saying they almost blew it the second time around with the same team. I didn't see the harm in that, but it's fine I understand where your coming from, and I hope you maybe see where I am coming from as well. However, for what it's worth I do apologize.
PC_You_Know Wrote:Everyone says this, and it's the doggone truth, what has this group of Paintsville boys won together other than some games and a district title or two?

That is what they have won and for the most part I think they have been pretty successful. Regardless of how they have competed in the region in the past, I do, however, believe this is their year to win it all.
Having watched each of these teams play several times this year, I have to give the edge to Paintsville. In the past Paintsville hasn't gotten it together but from what I have observed, this is Paintsville year. They have a "do or die" attitude that they have not had before. Had they played with this type of intensity for the past few years, they would have won a few Regional titles. I wish both teams the best but still have to give the edge to the Tigers.
1977 Wrote:Having watched each of these teams play several times this year, I have to give the edge to Paintsville. In the past Paintsville hasn't gotten it together but from what I have observed, this is Paintsville year. They have a "do or die" attitude that they have not had before. Had they played with this type of intensity for the past few years, they would have won a few Regional titles. I wish both teams the best but still have to give the edge to the Tigers.

I agree 100% and i'm sure the reaction from most of you will be.."Of course you do"
I haven't seen anyone slow down Slone all year. I'm gonna go to Paintsville because Shelby Valley gets a lot of points from their full court trap and I think Paintsville will eat it up where they are an experienced team. But no matter what, it's going to be close and its going to come down to whoever wants it more.

*Edited for bad spelling/grammar
People keep bringing up the fact that Paintsville are all seniors, well SV beat them when they were sophmores and SV had a younger team than they did. So as far as experience goes I would say these two teams are about even. Another thing if Landon Slone does get his usual 25 points a game against Shelby Valley I will be VERY surprised.
I agree that the past is irrelevant to the present! But just to make a point - (1) in 2005, SV on their home floor beat a young bunch of Tigers in double OT and was lucky to do it, (2) in 2006 SV beat the Tigers by 3 with the Tigers missing the last second shot, again lucky to do it, (3) then in 2007 Paintsville blew it to Belfry by being selfish on an off night and SV almost lost to BL.

What can be learned from this? (1) That anything can happen - Belfry upset Paintsville last year and BL almost did the same to SV. And even with the team of this year, SV knows about upsets. (2) The two times that Paintsville and SV have met in the region in the last 3 years have both been very close games.

This years teams are better than ever in my opinion and the Tigers are older and better players. So the game should be great unless one of the teams just comes out flat.
I agree with everything you said except that the Tigers are better players. They might have a better player, but overall the team is not better than Valley's.
One thing you kept saying about Shelby Valley was "almost" and "lucky to win", but they won and thats all that matters. I do agree with you that Paintsville has matured alot, and they play as a team.
This is the thread that never ends
Yes it goes on and on my friend
Some people starting posting on it, not knowing what it was
And they'll continue posting on it forever just because
This is the thread that never ends
Yes it goes on and on my friend
EVERYBODY!!!!
PhiSlamaJama#12 Wrote:One thing you kept saying about Shelby Valley was "almost" and "lucky to win", but they won and thats all that matters. I do agree with you that Paintsville has matured alot, and they play as a team.

That is true and you have to give SV their due! But the point that I was making is that they didn't blow Paintsville out and that the games were very close and Paintsville was capable of winning both of them. With the Tigers older and better this year than at anytime in the past, it is going to be even more competitive for Valley! But as I have said all along, it can go either way! What kills me is all of these people on both sides getting on here and acting like Paintsville can't beat Valley or vice versa! On a given night Paintsville or SV could win! Paintsville is every bit as good as Valley, but that still doesn't tell us who will win this game does it? We'll just have to wait and see. What more can anyone possibly say besides trash talking the other school?
Very True, I can't wait for this game, I just hope some crazy upset don't happen and they won't be able to play each other.
PhiSlamaJama#12 Wrote:Very True, I can't wait for this game, I just hope some crazy upset don't happen and they won't be able to play each other.

I agree with you 100% on that post!!:Thumbs:
Paintsville's first 5 is better than Valleys IMO. Paintsville has the best player on the court! Justice is the better PG. Murray is better than Logan Bryant. Shane Grimm is better than Jonah Justice, and Hatfield is a bit more of a threat compared to Vanhoose. So based on that alone, I give the nod to Paintsville JMO. Every game I've watched the Tigers play, Grimm has impressed me the most out of this team. He's a work horse down low, and I think it will be hard for Valley to keep him off the glass and stop him, and I think he will be the deciding factor in this game. Just my Personal Opinion on the game!!!! GOOD LUCK to both, and don't look past Pburg and Belfry. You never know, It is March Madness!!!!!!!!!!!!
100%SUCCESS Wrote:Paintsville's first 5 is better than Valleys IMO. Paintsville is the best player on the court! Justice is the better PG. Murray is better than Logan Bryant. Shane Grimm is better than Jonah Justice, and Hatfield is better than Vanhoose. So based on that alone, I give the nod to Paintsville. Every game I've watched the Tigers play, Grimm has impressed me the most out of this team. He's a work horse down low, and I think it will be hard for Valley to keep him off the glass and stop him, and I think he will be the deciding factor in this game. Just my Personal Opinion on the game!!!! GOOD LUCK to both, and don't look past Pburg and Belfry. You never know, It is March Madness!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well I guess Jacob Bryant, one of the best passers and lane penetrators in the region doesn't matter to you? Just playin, I know you forgot him.
100%SUCCESS Wrote:Paintsville's first 5 is better than Valleys IMO. Paintsville is the best player on the court! Justice is the better PG. Murray is better than Logan Bryant. Shane Grimm is better than Jonah Justice, and Hatfield is better than Vanhoose. So based on that alone, I give the nod to Paintsville. Every game I've watched the Tigers play, Grimm has impressed me the most out of this team. He's a work horse down low, and I think it will be hard for Valley to keep him off the glass and stop him, and I think he will be the deciding factor in this game. Just my Personal Opinion on the game!!!! GOOD LUCK to both, and don't look past Pburg and Belfry. You never know, It is March Madness!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not a bad match-up comparison! IMO I agree with you about Paintsville having the best starting 5 (not that every starter is better, I mean just as a team). But I don't think that they are that much better and the Valley bench is the most concerning! But the key to the game is how each player plays on the night they will hopefully meet up. Any of us that have watched Paintsville and SV and followed their season games know that all of their players have had off nights where things didn't come easy for them. Paintsville's best night against SV's worst night and the Tigers win big. SV's best night against Paintsville's worse and SV would win. Both teams have the players to get it done! The key to this game is who has the most players "on" when they play and which team executes best! Should be a great game!
Paintsville blows it every year and they want this more than valley this year IMO...the seniors for the tigers wont let this year be another dissapointment
100%SUCCESS Wrote:Paintsville's first 5 is better than Valleys IMO. Paintsville has the best player on the court! Justice is the better PG. Murray is better than Logan Bryant. Shane Grimm is better than Jonah Justice, and Hatfield is a bit more of a threat compared to Vanhoose. So based on that alone, I give the nod to Paintsville JMO. Every game I've watched the Tigers play, Grimm has impressed me the most out of this team. He's a work horse down low, and I think it will be hard for Valley to keep him off the glass and stop him, and I think he will be the deciding factor in this game. Just my Personal Opinion on the game!!!! GOOD LUCK to both, and don't look past Pburg and Belfry. You never know, It is March Madness!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, if there was anyone who could keep Grim off the glass it would be Jonah Justice, he is also a work horse and he is unreal strong which will give him an advantage in rebounding.
Where doin poems now OMG, lol, let's see what I can come up with.

They're gonna step it up
and finally go to Rupp
look at that Tiger Blue
they are coached by a man
with a ring on his hand
and he's lookin for number two

the team is led
by two red heads
shane grimm and landon slone
great passes by blake
murray leadin break
watch out JD's in the zone

we're gonna cut down the nets
put all the hype to a rest
and hold that trophy up
Coach Runyon's last hoorah
coachin Tiger ball
finishin his career at RUPP...
Redneck Wrote:Where doin poems now OMG, lol, let's see what I can come up with.

They're gonna step it up
and finally go to Rupp
look at that Tiger Blue
with a ring on his hand

the team is led
by two red heads
great passes by blake
murray leadin break

and hold that trophy up
coachin Tiger ball

Not bad Redneck! Didn't realize you were a poet! lol
PC_You_Know Wrote:Oh yeah, that other thing where the only team they played was Pikeville.

Which SV lost to.
Redneck Wrote:Where doin poems now OMG, lol, let's see what I can come up with.

They're gonna step it up
and finally go to Rupp
look at that Tiger Blue
with a ring on his hand

the team is led
by two red heads
great passes by blake
murray leadin break

and hold that trophy up
coachin Tiger ball

And when we get to Rupp
You know it's more of the same
Were never ***** cats
Were Tigers that can't be tamed....

HAHA!! Yea it sounds like a hit. LOL...Nice! I had to throw in the hidden verse though sorry.LOL!!
EKY Sportster Wrote:Not bad Redneck! Didn't realize you were a poet! lol

I like to write poems whether they are any good or not, I always liked to write, just hated literature, lol.

That was just off the top of my head, I could prolly come up with somethin good if I sat down and really thought about it.
OMG Wrote:And when we get to Rupp
You know it's more of the same
Were never ***** cats
Were Tigers that can't be tamed....

HAHA!! Yea it sounds like a hit. LOL...Nice! I had to throw in the hidden verse though sorry.LOL!!

That mysterious verse, lol. It worked for Garth, why not us.
Redneck Wrote:That mysterious verse, lol. It worked for Garth, why not us.

True True..HAHA!!
Not bein a ******** when I say this, but don't any SV fans wanna give it a whirl.
EKY Sportster Wrote:I agree that the past is irrelevant to the present! But just to make a point - (1) in 2005, SV on their home floor beat a young bunch of Tigers in double OT and was lucky to do it, (2) in 2006 SV beat the Tigers by 3 with the Tigers missing the last second shot, again lucky to do it, (3) then in 2007 Paintsville blew it to Belfry by being selfish on an off night and SV almost lost to BL.

What can be learned from this? (1) That anything can happen - Belfry upset Paintsville last year and BL almost did the same to SV. And even with the team of this year, SV knows about upsets. (2) The two times that Paintsville and SV have met in the region in the last 3 years have both been very close games.

Thank you, I'm glad you agree with me about using games from previous seasons. The fact that SV has knocked Paintsville out of the regional however many times in the past few years, does not mean that SV somehow has the Tigers' "number". This is a different season, and from what I have seen, a different Paintsville team, even compared to last year. So to me, what happened last year has no bearing on this year.

Personally, I think this is the year when Paintsville is finally playing like a TEAM, which may give them a slight edge. I am rooting for Valley to win, and hopefully they prove me wrong, but right now I would have to give the edge to Paintsville by 3.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
OMG Wrote:I didn't mean to call your comments rediculus. I just didn't appreciate how you came at me the way you did when all I was doing was agreeing with the original comment that was made, but I guess that's how it goes. I understand last year was last year, and I was simply agreeing with the other comment saying they almost blew it the second time around with the same team. I didn't see the harm in that, but it's fine I understand where your coming from, and I hope you maybe see where I am coming from as well. However, for what it's worth I do apologize.

I had no problem at all with your initial post, I just disagreed with it and expressed that in my post. Just because I quoted you doesn't mean it was a personal attack in any way. And I didn't think I "came at you" at all, I just simply responded to your post by saying I didn't think it translated to this year's games.

Still, I appreciate the apology, and we're ok. :Thumbs:
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Those shots won't fall for the Tigers in the 4TH quarter. Shelby Valley's pressure will take it's toll on the 6 that play for the Tigers. Their legs will be gone come the 4TH.
gymrat Wrote:Those shots won't fall for the Tigers in the 4TH quarter. Shelby Valley's pressure will take it's toll on the 6 that play for the Tigers. Their legs will be gone come the 4TH.

I have to disagree. I think the dirty half dozen for Paintsville are a very good shape and they have proved that playing in a few back to back games this year. They have excellent ball handling guards who will be able to with stand the pressure.