Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coach Jones
fbcoachnoitall Wrote:Bruce Jones' record while at Powell Co. was 9-17. 2004 he went 4-6, 2005 he went 4-6 and 2007 he went 1-9. Per KHSAA. I don't see how you could declare this successful coaching. Once again, he does take the jobs that no one wants, but that is the problem with a lot of programs, they settle for a coach instead of trying to find a good one. I would rather hire a new coach with unknown possibilites instead a coach with a proven losing record. Those programs that settle will always struggle. I do want to state that I personally don't know Bruce Jones and he may be a great person and coach, but I think sometimes you have to look at their track record and whether or not they are looking to move into a school and community and become part of that school and community and not commute back and forth from his home town. This is a clear sign that he is not committed to the program. How can you get the kids to buy into his program if he cannot buy into the community and live in it.

That would be "9-21"
For those people who like to do research, I would ask you to do this. Check the history of Phelps football and see how many winning seasons there have been. I would venture to say you could easily count them on one hand. Phelps has fought an uphill battle from the beginning. This is not a new problem. Every year Phelps has to play in the Pike County Bowl (Shelby Valley, Pike Central, and East Ridge) against much larger schools. They also have to play Pikeville, Paintsville, and until last year, Hazard every year. They stare at 3-4 losses every season with these teams not to mention the rest of their schedule.

My point is, this is not a Coach Jones problem. Given numbers and talent, Coach Jones will be successful anywhere. I think it is safe to assume that those of you who are bashing Coach Jones have never been a high school football Head Coach. The most glory some of you will experience is being an armchair coach. And, people shouldn't be so quick to judge Coach Jones and speak about a subject if all the information they have is win/loss records. In high schools sports, either you have talent or not.
kyfan Wrote:For those people who like to do research, I would ask you to do this. Check the history of Phelps football and see how many winning seasons there have been. I would venture to say you could easily count them on one hand. Phelps has fought an uphill battle from the beginning. This is not a new problem. Every year Phelps has to play in the Pike County Bowl (Shelby Valley, Pike Central, and East Ridge) against much larger schools. They also have to play Pikeville, Paintsville, and until last year, Hazard every year. They stare at 3-4 losses every season with these teams not to mention the rest of their schedule.

My point is, this is not a Coach Jones problem. Given numbers and talent, Coach Jones will be successful anywhere. I think it is safe to assume that those of you who are bashing Coach Jones have never been a high school football Head Coach. The most glory some of you will experience is being an armchair coach. And, people shouldn't be so quick to judge Coach Jones and speak about a subject if all the information they have is win/loss records. In high schools sports, either you have talent or not.

Great post!TongueirateSho
I was intrigued so I did some research myself. I could only find records on KHSAA back to 1990. From 1990 til 2007, Phelps overall record is 68-115 with one winning season in 1998 with a record of 7-3. The 68 wins over an 18 year stretch is an average of 3.77 wins per year. Again, not a Coach Jones problem and not an administration problem.