Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2024 Kentucky Baseball
(05-16-2024, 04:27 PM)Cactus Jack Wrote:
(05-16-2024, 09:08 AM)Bluecat Wrote: Series with Vandy starts today. Cats have a chance to win the SEC outright!!!!!

(05-16-2024, 03:59 PM)Van Hagar Wrote: Tonight’s game is the key one I think. Get that first one and take a little of the pressure off. Good weather tonight and I’m sure it will be a rowdy home crowd. Wish I would have had time to get to this one in person.

What are the scenarios needed for Kentucky to win the SEC outright?

And are we pretty much locked in to host a Regional or even a Super Regional?

Regional 100% and Super 98% I would think. Super 100% with SEC title win or tie.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jetpilot's post:
  • Cactus Jack
We win tonight 10-5. Tennessee won also, Arkansas was playing a late game. So we still have a one game lead over Tennessee and Arkansas if they win with two to play. The SEC seeds the baseball tournament based on overall conference record, not by divisions. Still some work to do, but getting closer, two more wins and we lock up everything (including most likely a super regional host spot if we win the regional.) SEC tournament starts next week in Hoover, AL.
[-] The following 2 users Like Van Hagar's post:
  • Cactus Jack, Old School Hound
(05-16-2024, 04:27 PM)Cactus Jack Wrote:
(05-16-2024, 09:08 AM)Bluecat Wrote: Series with Vandy starts today. Cats have a chance to win the SEC outright!!!!!

(05-16-2024, 03:59 PM)Van Hagar Wrote: Tonight’s game is the key one I think. Get that first one and take a little of the pressure off. Good weather tonight and I’m sure it will be a rowdy home crowd. Wish I would have had time to get to this one in person.

What are the scenarios needed for Kentucky to win the SEC outright?

And are we pretty much locked in to host a Regional or even a Super Regional?
Win today and they guaranteed at least a share of the overall SEC. A lock for Regional and I would think Super if they get there. They are projected the overall #1 seed right now.
Over 4300 fans last night for a weeknight game AND with school out of session, so very few students on hand. Hopefully they can get tonight in as scheduled. And Arkansas wound up losing to A&M last night, so they are basically out of it, just the nationally second ranked Cats and nationally number one ranked Orange Pukes fighting it out now.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Van Hagar's post:
  • Bluecat
Cats dismantle Vandy 17-7, guarantee themselves at least a share of conference title. But we want the thing outright, and the way this team is scoring runs right now, I think we will put another beat down on the ‘Dores today and lock up the SEC title on our home field. Tennessee won again last night too, so if they win and we lose, we share and they are the one seed. Ain’t happening. Go Cats!

By the way, today’s game is at noon, and will be carried live on the SEC Network. Mason Moore, who threw great at Florida last weekend, should be on the hill for UK.
  • jetpilot, Old School Hound
Let's don't share this title with Tennessee! Wish I could be at the game today. So proud of these guys and my school.
Well, it didn’t work out. But still a fantastic season, and we should definitely be in line to host a super regional if we can win our regional, which will definitely be at home. Turns out we will be the three seed in the SEC tournament (Arkansas is two, even though their conference record was worse than ours, they get the two for winning the west.) We play the Georgia-LSU winner Wednesday morning at 10:30. Even if we go 0-2 in the conference tourney, I can’t imagine us being anything less than the overall 4 seed or so in the NCAA tourney.
  • Bluecat, Cactus Jack
The next couple week is going to be fun to watch. Could make a huge run and maybe make Omaha for the first time in school history. Hopefully we don't lay an egg.
Cats play LSU in their first game Wednesday morning at 10:30 eastern time.
We may have gotten a little bit of a break with 11 seed LSU upsetting 6 seed Georgia in the first game. It’s not imperative that we win this tournament, but I’d love to see us at least get a win or two and solidify what should be at worst a top four national seed.
  • Cactus Jack
Not a good start to the SEC Tournament for the Cats
Even though this was ugly, it’s not a big deal as long as we don’t blow a top 8 overall seed. Just don’t see that happening, even if we lose tomorrow to the Arkansas-South Carolina loser.
Big help for us was Tennessee and Arkansas also losing. A&M is losing right now. That would be the top 4 seeds of the tournament .
The SEC is such a beast in baseball. The top four seeds all did wind up losing, which to me just makes our regular season all the more impressive. But now we have to play Arkansas in an elimination game, might be a short stay in Hoover. Oh well, the real season starts next week in Lexington.
  • Bluecat, jetpilot
UK 9 Arkansas 6. UK advances. In my mind that should get the Super Regional although you can never be sure. Seems clear at least 2 SEC teams would host supers and first two would have to be Tennessee and Kentucky. Go Cats.
Yeah, 40 wins, co-SEC champs, three of four now versus Arkansas, it has to be the Cats and Tennessee getting top 8 seeds and being in line to host a super. Wouldn’t mind getting one more win tomorrow though, you know, just to make sure.
  • Cactus Jack
Good win over Arkansas. Needed to get a win. Be good to pick up one tomorrow against the SC/LSU loser. SC up right now
South Carolina wound up blowing that one, so we get them today at 4 on SEC network. Hopefully, the wind will be gone out of their sails. Tennessee-Mississippi St. is other losers bracket game, while LSU and Vandy, the eight and 11 seeds, are the two unbeatens left.

By the way, the Cats beat Hagan Smith of Arkansas yesterday, he was undefeated and the presumptive national pitcher of the year, had beaten us in the first game of our series with them earlier. So that made yesterday’s win, coming off a beat down of our own and facing him, all the more impressive.
  • Bluecat
Too damn many walks and hit batters. Reminded me of Old School on the bump back in the day.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Old School Hound's post:
  • Bluecat
Pitching is got to get better to make a real run at Omaha
You’re right, we don’t have that top of the rotation shutdown style arm on this team. We just try to bludgeon the other team with good bats all the way through the lineup. But we’ve cooled off some, we are only 8-9 in our last 17 games. Going out in the regional wouldn’t shock me, remember we lost to Indiana last year at home and had to win three straight just to get to the Super. The 2-3 seeds in our region are going to be very interesting.
One positive in losing maybe will be resting the arms before the regional starts. But yes last year wasn't an easy run. Hard to come out of loser's bracket. If they can stay away from the loser's bracket in the regional they will be ok. In the supers I think they are ok because they are more built for the 2 out of 3 series than the regional setup to where they may have to play at least 4 games
Cats the #2 overall!!!
Uk
Western Michigan

Illinois
Indiana State

Starts Friday

Lexington Regional winner plays winner of the Corvallis Regional
15 Oregon State
Tulane

Nicholls
UC Irvine
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bluecat's post:
  • Cactus Jack
Apparently our late seasons stumbles didn’t hurt our seeding situation at all. My hope is we can get by Western Michigan (they are 32-21) without having to burn any of our top pitchers. Indiana St. is 42-13, Illinois is 34-19, either would be a tough Saturday matchup, but hopefully they will throw their aces at each other Friday trying to win the opener. You don’t want to go into the losers bracket on day one.

Weather looks good, hopefully record crowds get to see the Cats lock up their first ever hosting spot in the Super Regionals.
  • Bluecat, Cactus Jack
Starts today at 12:00 for the Cats
Well, it started out like a dominant win, as we got up 8-0 after four innings. But give Western Michigan credit, they hung in, chipped away, and made it nerve wracking late, leaving the bases loaded in the 9th with the score 10-8. The good news is we did not burn Pooser, considered our top starting pitcher. I’m sure he’ll get the ball tomorrow night at 6 when we play the Indiana St.-Illinois winner.
  • Cactus Jack
Good thing is we won but dang we about let it get away. Up 8-0 and barely held on. But we win and move on. Go Cats

Cats play Illinois at 3:30 today. They win and are in the driver's seat for a Super Regionals birth.
Apparently they moved the game time up, most likely because of the threat of rain later, was originally set for 6 pm.
Kentucky leading 2-0 after a homer.

Huge missed opportunity in the 2nd. Runners on 2nd and 3rd with no outs. Runner is picked off at second. Next batter in the subsequent at bat ends up grounding into a double play.
Keep those updates coming, please!!!