Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Coaching Changes!!
(12-08-2020, 06:12 PM)BobcatForever Wrote: Wonder if there is going to be any Coaching Changes this off season?
Betsy Layne making any coaching changes?
(12-10-2020, 10:44 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote:
(12-10-2020, 04:41 PM)The Real Guru2 Wrote:
(12-09-2020, 07:12 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote:
(12-09-2020, 11:44 AM)Oleballcoach Wrote: I’ve heard noise about Prestonsburg going after a new head coach. My personal opinion I believe the job openings this off season will be coaches wanting to leave verse being fired. I think this is a freebie for coaches on the hot seat because of everything that went on with Covid.

Noise is likely coming from those who aren’t looking at things correctly either or they’re out of touch.

Hard to win and compete considering the hit Prestonsburg football took before Brewer was ever hired. Basically an entire football team transferred out and is now more than likely the favorite to win state this season in class A. No fault to those families that moved their kids, they done what they thought was best and it’s been paying off.

Prestonsburg lost support from life long Blackcat supporters that now have fully backed another school and town. Some have moved there and even started businesses there as well.

Folks need to be patient.
Why do you continually refer to players that left at the halfway point of 8th grade?? LOL ...These players NEVER had intentions of playing at Prestonsburg. The parents went where a championship was more obtainable. 
Brewer came in after the Blackcats won the district, along with the 2A player of the year (Varney), along with several seasoned seniors...the ingredients were there... Varney rarely got to touch the ball. I think the biggest issue with Burg has been the lack of support from the Shags and Bags that blew Brewer up and then disappeared, along with his staff. You can ask any parent and several opposing coaches that know BB personally and they will all agree that he is a good guy, just lacks the work ethics that it is gonna take to build them back up. You can't practice for 1.5 hours 3 days a week and expect to win. Personally, I think the current admin wants to keep him, but the townies want a change. Adjust your coaching to your talent, not your talent to your coaching. This, is where he failed.   Dodgy
A lot of that I can’t speak to, because I don’t know. I haven’t been close to the football program in 11 years. However, the moment a lot of the 8th grade team left, it was obviously going to hurt Prestonsburg football going forward. I don’t care who the coach was. I don’t blame anything on any of those families. Like I said previously, they did what they thought was best for their kids. Parents should move their kids to wherever they’ll get the best chance to succeed academically and athletically. I wholeheartedly believe in that.

Also, I haven’t kept referring to that. Must have me mistaken with someone else.
Prestonsburg hasn’t been the same since DeRossett left.
(12-18-2020, 09:06 PM)Red and Black Wrote: Brewer needs to stay at Pburg. I consider next year to be to his first true test considering how much talent had bled out of the feeder program to other schools his first year. Next year there will be no kids (that I'm aware of) that played in the feeder program that went to a different HS. Now, that being said, if he has a losing record the next 2 or 3 years then we should probably entertain this conversation. They seem to be improving every year that he's been there, so we will see. Personally, I have faith in his character and his coaching ability, so I think everything will pan out just fine for the ole burg.
Heard that Prestonsburg is wanting former Blackcat Harley Quillen to come coach.
He’s not first choice
(12-20-2020, 07:45 AM)Budsqueezer Wrote: He’s not first choice
They just want him added on staff as far as I heard. Definitely not fit to be a head coach just yet. Hell of a Lineman as a player.
Brewers first order of buisness was to stop the bleeding of kids to Paintsville out of the grade school and Middle School ranks. He’s done that so far. Only now can he actually begin to build his program
(12-21-2020, 01:04 PM)HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote: Brewers first order of buisness was to stop the bleeding of kids to Paintsville out of the grade school and Middle School ranks. He’s done that so far. Only now can he actually begin to build his program
1. It's Business.
2. That stopped when the principal left and went to Paintsville....Sorta, Since 2018 (when Brewer was hired) Prestonsburg has lost 7+ more to Paintsville. A few elem. & 6 Middle school and 1 high school (left the program and played on OL/DL in last Friday's championship game)
3. My sources say 31 kids have left or quit the Pburg program since Brewer stepped in. Raines to Pikeville the week he took over, and Scott to Paintsville his sophomore year, but only took this field this season due to eligibility. 2020/2021 season started off with 12 seniors and finished with 8. The rest of the kids I've heard quit for various reasons. 
4. Why would anyone from Pikeville have two cents in coaching changes at Pburg? LOL on that one.

I am for anyone that want to take their sons/daughters for better opportunities. Just stop using Blackcat football to justify it.
Rumor has it Whitley county job is coming opening, and South Laurel will be getting a new coach. Hint, hint.
[-] The following 1 user Likes 64SUR's post:
  • hchs fan
Couldn’t see the Whitley coach leaving for south Laurel. Seems like a step down even if it is his alma mater.
Interviews started today at South Laurel. I am not sure who they have as candidates, but the principal is very athletic driven. They are getting turf ( I am sure North will as well). Good luck to the candidates and new HC and staff.
South Laurel has been the Green Mile for coaches. They go there to die.
[-] The following 1 user Likes E's Army's post:
  • CowboyDad
I've been hearing a lot of chatter regarding the P-Burg job, throughout Eastern Kentucky over the past month or so. I have heard that Chirico may jump ship to Prestonsburg, due to the lack of talent coming up for the foreseeable future at Paintsville. I have a hard time believing this, but I have been told by numerous people, who seem to be in the know. I know last year, Matney was seriously considering leaving Central to take the job at Prestonsburg, after winning a state championship. Which I believe was mostly used for leverage, to get more money from Central. I have heard Prestonsburg has a lot of talent coming up from their feeder programs, but I would give Brewer a chance before making a coaching change.
(12-23-2020, 02:25 PM)Cat Daddy Wrote: I've been hearing a lot of chatter regarding the P-Burg job, throughout Eastern Kentucky over the past month or so. I have heard that Chirico may jump ship to Prestonsburg, due to the lack of talent coming up for the foreseeable future at Paintsville. I have a hard time believing this, but I have been told by numerous people, who seem to be in the know. I know last year, Matney was seriously considering leaving Central to take the job at Prestonsburg, after winning a state championship. Which I believe was mostly used for leverage, to get more money from Central. I have heard Prestonsburg has a lot of talent coming up from their feeder programs, but I would give Brewer a chance before making a coaching change.

I do believe Brewer is a great young coach but if there’s that much talent coming up the pipe at Prestonburg and they can get either Chirico or Matney they’d be crazy not to jump at it, they’re proven winners.
(12-23-2020, 02:04 AM)OLCoachA Wrote: Interviews started today at South Laurel. I am not sure who they have as candidates, but the principal is very athletic driven. They are getting turf ( I am sure North will as well). Good luck to the candidates and new HC and staff.
North already has turf
(12-24-2020, 12:52 AM)33 power Wrote:
(12-23-2020, 02:04 AM)OLCoachA Wrote: Interviews started today at South Laurel. I am not sure who they have as candidates, but the principal is very athletic driven. They are getting turf ( I am sure North will as well). Good luck to the candidates and new HC and staff.
North already has turf
Thanks for the information. When one in the county has something, it happens to the other school(s) for the most part.
Pburg is happy with their coach. Chirco won’t go no where. They got couple good players from Floyd Central football feeder program. Paintsville don’t have to have a great feeder program just descent. Paintsville will continue to get kids from schools especially since their winning again.
I think as of right now Prestonsburg has slowed the bleeding of players going north up 23..
Wayne Co is officially open now.
(12-21-2020, 06:15 PM)64SUR Wrote: Rumor has it Whitley county job is coming opening, and South Laurel will be getting a new coach. Hint, hint.
 Well my rumor beginning to take shape!!! Future looks bright for South Laurel
[-] The following 1 user Likes 64SUR's post:
  • OLCoachA
When do the coaching jobs even open?
(12-29-2020, 11:08 PM)64SUR Wrote:
(12-21-2020, 06:15 PM)64SUR Wrote: Rumor has it Whitley county job is coming opening, and South Laurel will be getting a new coach. Hint, hint.
 Well my rumor beginning to take shape!!! Future looks bright for South Laurel
This is stated on the other thread below... Irwin to SL. Jewell to Whitley.
Irwin to South Laurel. Big loss for Whitley County. Huge step up for South.
Whitley County is open. Jep went to South Laurel.
(12-30-2020, 12:16 PM)Strikeout King Wrote: Whitley County is open. Jep went to South Laurel.

Did he used to be the coach there before?
Yes, for 4 years I think. Left after '05 season to coach in Georgia.
(12-10-2020, 04:41 PM)The Real Guru2 Wrote:
(12-09-2020, 07:12 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote:
(12-09-2020, 11:44 AM)Oleballcoach Wrote: I’ve heard noise about Prestonsburg going after a new head coach. My personal opinion I believe the job openings this off season will be coaches wanting to leave verse being fired. I think this is a freebie for coaches on the hot seat because of everything that went on with Covid.

Noise is likely coming from those who aren’t looking at things correctly either or they’re out of touch.

Hard to win and compete considering the hit Prestonsburg football took before Brewer was ever hired. Basically an entire football team transferred out and is now more than likely the favorite to win state this season in class A. No fault to those families that moved their kids, they done what they thought was best and it’s been paying off.

Prestonsburg lost support from life long Blackcat supporters that now have fully backed another school and town. Some have moved there and even started businesses there as well.

Folks need to be patient.
Why do you continually refer to players that left at the halfway point of 8th grade?? LOL ...These players NEVER had intentions of playing at Prestonsburg. The parents went where a championship was more obtainable. 
Brewer came in after the Blackcats won the district, along with the 2A player of the year (Varney), along with several seasoned seniors...the ingredients were there... Varney rarely got to touch the ball. I think the biggest issue with Burg has been the lack of support from the Shags and Bags that blew Brewer up and then disappeared, along with his staff. You can ask any parent and several opposing coaches that know BB personally and they will all agree that he is a good guy, just lacks the work ethics that it is gonna take to build them back up. You can't practice for 1.5 hours 3 days a week and expect to win. Personally, I think the current admin wants to keep him, but the townies want a change. Adjust your coaching to your talent, not your talent to your coaching. This, is where he failed.   Dodgy
I can say personally that Coach Brewer is not lacking in work ethic he’s one of the hardest working men I have ever known. And say what you want about talent but the teams there talent wise have dropped significantly Varneys senior year they didn’t have any seasoned and good offensive linemen.
[-] The following 1 user Likes waughdaddy59's post:
  • GBrewer
(12-26-2020, 11:57 AM)plantmanky Wrote: Wayne Co is officially open now.
Whitley will probably hire somebody currently on staff, and continue to hire former players onto staff. What about bringing up that young cat at the middle school? Didn't he play running back a few years ago?
(01-04-2021, 01:02 AM)THEMEANMACHINE Wrote:
Whitley will probably hire somebody currently on staff, and continue to hire former players onto staff. What about bringing up that young cat at the middle school? Didn't he play running back a few years ago?

If your that young cat at the middle school, which seems to be the case, the rivals board probably isn’t the best place to make your case for the job...
[-] The following 1 user Likes TD Hounds's post:
  • OldColonel
(01-04-2021, 01:02 AM)THEMEANMACHINE Wrote:

You don’t hire a young coach from a mediocre middle school program to be the head coach of a 5A football program unless you want to run it into the ground. No offense to whoever you are talking about, but they are in no way even close to qualified for that.
[-] The following 1 user Likes fansville's post:
  • OldColonel
Sounds like Johnson Central might be looking for a new coach here shortly....
[-] The following 1 user Likes LaFlamaBlanca's post:
  • hchs fan