Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Open Job: Estill County
hchs fan Wrote:any news or updates on the coaching search

Austin Maples (Montgomery Co OC)
Jordan Marcum (Madison Central assistant)

Those seem to be the most talked about coaches that have applied. I suspect that one of those two will end up getting.
Who is in charge of hiring the new coach?
Joe Shmo Wrote:Who is in charge of hiring the new coach?

I'm not sure. I know when Coach Bentley was hired as boys basketball coach, the principal made the hire, I'm not sure if that will be the case in this or not.
Strikeout King Wrote:Austin Maples (Montgomery Co OC)
Jordan Marcum (Madison Central assistant)

Those seem to be the most talked about coaches that have applied. I suspect that one of those two will end up getting.

I would say that you are correct, SK. For some reason, they just do not seem to like what they already have in Irvine. If they go with outside hire, they are going to have to let some teachers go if they want a complete staff. Unless of course if the current staff sticks around. But I would assume that an outside guy would want a fresh start for a staff.
jumpshooter Wrote:I would say that you are correct, SK. For some reason, they just do not seem to like what they already have in Irvine. If they go with outside hire, they are going to have to let some teachers go if they want a complete staff. Unless of course if the current staff sticks around. But I would assume that an outside guy would want a fresh start for a staff.

Any idea when it's suppose to be made official? I know the school is suppose to take the open job down from the school on Wednesday.
Strikeout King Wrote:Any idea when it's suppose to be made official? I know the school is suppose to take the open job down from the school on Wednesday.

I would say around the new year. I did not know they were taking it down Wednesday, but if they do, they will have to go through an interview process I would assume. That will take a couple weeks more than likely.
So is it true that the application process is over? Is it now on to the interviews?
jumpshooter Wrote:So is it true that the application process is over? Is it now on to the interviews?

I'm not sure on this but I think this is correct. Was told that the school was removing the job from the school on the 12th.
jumpshooter Wrote:I would say that you are correct, SK. For some reason, they just do not seem to like what they already have in Irvine. If they go with outside hire, they are going to have to let some teachers go if they want a complete staff. Unless of course if the current staff sticks around. But I would assume that an outside guy would want a fresh start for a staff.

Both of these guys have math certifications per teacher credential search.

I can provide a little background on both.

Coach Marcum was the DC (I think) at East Jessamine and they won 3-4 straight district titles. Past year at Mad South which they won first ever region. Don't know his coaching title there but assuming it was DC. Also coached the track team at schools hes been at for several years. Having a head football coach who coaches track is a major bonus.

Coach Maples is the OC at Montgomery which has had no trouble scoring points the past two years.

Glad to hear both of these guys names attached to this opening.
Explorer Wrote:Both of these guys have math certifications per teacher credential search.

I can provide a little background on both.

Coach Marcum was the DC (I think) at East Jessamine and they won 3-4 straight district titles. Past year at Mad South which they won first ever region. Don't know his coaching title there but assuming it was DC. Also coached the track team at schools hes been at for several years. Having a head football coach who coaches track is a major bonus.

Coach Maples is the OC at Montgomery which has had no trouble scoring points the past two years.

Glad to hear both of these guys names attached to this opening.

Marcum is at Madison Central not Mad Southern. Just clarification purposes. 2 guys I know coach there from down here, that’s how I know that.
Anyone around the program believed that this year would be his last season.
ironfist13 Wrote:Marcum is at Madison Central not Mad Southern. Just clarification purposes. 2 guys I know coach there from down here, that’s how I know that.

Thanks for clarification. That is a typo. I don't know how to edit my post.
Not sure how many have applied or will apply, but it seems that it is a 2-3 person race at this point.
Any idea when an announcement will come?
Looking like it will be Austin Maples from Montgomery that gets it. Nothing official, but I would be surprised if anyone else other than Maples that gets it.
Strikeout King Wrote:Looking like it will be Austin Maples from Montgomery that gets it. Nothing official, but I would be surprised if anyone else other than Maples that gets it.
I would like to know where you get your information. I’m pretty sure the interview process has not even began.
jumpshooter Wrote:I would like to know where you get your information. I’m pretty sure the interview process has not even began.

Just going by what I was told. I would say they have who they want.
It’s my understanding that Maples isn’t even the OC at MC. The HC calls the plays and it’s the same stuff as Scott Co does. Can anyone confirm or deny that?
He was the OC under Gooch when he was there (their last head coach). He is more than qualified to be a head coach.
thecoacher Wrote:He was the OC under Gooch when he was there (their last head coach). He is more than qualified to be a head coach.

No one es questioning if he if qualified or not. I am sure that 95% of the applicants put in are qualified. Everyone is missing the point here. Qualified or not, its all about being a good fit for the program. I am not saying that he isn't a good fit, but that's what its all about. Throw qualifications out the window.
They run a Wing-T at Scott and Montgomery.
jumpshooter Wrote:No one es questioning if he if qualified or not. I am sure that 95% of the applicants put in are qualified. Everyone is missing the point here. Qualified or not, its all about being a good fit for the program. I am not saying that he isn't a good fit, but that's what its all about. Throw qualifications out the window.

Are you judging if he is a good fit based on the systems he has been in?
thecoacher Wrote:Are you judging if he is a good fit based on the systems he has been in?

Not judging if he is a good fit or not, but he has been in a wing-T system for awhile now. Although much different than the Double Wing, still the same philosophy in a nut shell. And that is something that they are trying to get away from in Irvine. I don't like seeing the political game played, and it sure has seemed that, that has been the case throughout this whole process. They need to make the hire based on what will be the best for the program moving forward. And again, not saying that he is not it, but to say that the decision has already been made before they hear the interviews? Seems political. But I am just an innocent bystander.
jumpshooter Wrote:Not judging if he is a good fit or not, but he has been in a wing-T system for awhile now. Although much different than the Double Wing, still the same philosophy in a nut shell. And that is something that they are trying to get away from in Irvine. I don't like seeing the political game played, and it sure has seemed that, that has been the case throughout this whole process. They need to make the hire based on what will be the best for the program moving forward. And again, not saying that he is not it, but to say that the decision has already been made before they hear the interviews? Seems political. But I am just an innocent bystander.

Most coaching positions are filled like this. Good/bad/indifferent, when a pool of candidates are brought in, there is usually someone who is the favorite beforehand.
I just hope they get the right guy for the job, whoever that may be. This is a program that was once a threat to make a run in the playoffs under Mike Jones, they need to get back to that level. The talent level is there.
Any news? Been awfully quite.
I’ll ask around. I know some former SW guys who are on staff at MC. They may know more.
Hearing a decision has been made. Waiting to hear back who it is.
Are they close to making a hire?
A decision has been made. Expect an announcement to come probably around the beginning of the week next week. I'm almost positive that it came down to Maples and Marcum.