Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recruiting
oldschool77 Wrote:You make assumptions that I am talking about an unsuccessful program, which I am not. Also, Knox Central's "success" has ended in the second round of the playoffs and Corbin is still "king of the hill" in that area. That will be evidenced tonight. Is Laurel County and Whitley County "talent flow" headed to Babourville? No, it still flows to Corbin. I do agree that the problem is largely with school administration and athletic directors. If they don't value the program it is hard to be successful. However, it's quite insane, that not only do you have to build a good Youth and Middle School program, but then also have to recruit your own kids to play for your program in high school. Especially, when the coach down the road is promising starting early at whatever position you want (which in the end doesn't actually occur but the move back is difficult). It is nearly impossible for parents to affect a change of administration, so I guess we should also just move our kids to whoever looks like they can get to Bowling Green next year. A lot of us UK fans get offended when the top players in our state don't want to stay here and play for their "home state" even though recruiting is allowed in college. Now, we are accepting of the same thing in high school even though recruiting is not allowed.

First of all north laurel is starting to build their program. They are competitive at every level.

Second of all south laurel had a coach down there about ten years ago that had close to 100 kids playing football, they beat Corbin the two years he was there and the two years after he left. He was most likely the best coach in the history of laurel county football. I honestly believe that if he were there today then he would have south competing for a 5a state title. But another school from Alabama offered him an ASSISTANT coaching job and south wouldn't even match the stipend. That same coach is a head coach in Georgia now. No sympathy.

Third laurel county discontinued their youth football program three years ago. I know they still have that travel team in the north end of the county but that's mainly a political thing anyway. Many of those kids came to Corbin's youth program and I'm happy to say that a few decided to stay. Laurels loss Corbin gain. No sympathy.

Fourth in almost every school system in the tri county area the biggest factor in playing time is last name. No sympathy, you start your school board member kids and corbin will take the run off and give the "riff raff" a fair shake if they're willing to work hard and give an effort.

Fifth It's not so much that Corbin is recruiting, the schools around Corbin are just bleeding. Same way around the state. There is a reason that, with the exception of big cities, most power house programs are geographically surrounded by terrible teams.

Sixth I have a hard time believing that any coach from Corbin is promising kids a starting position. There are no locked in starting positions at Corbin. There has been more than one occasion where a two year starting senior has been replaced by a sophomore because the senior got senioridis. Every snap is earned at Corbin, no exceptions.
Single Wing 77 Wrote:First of all north laurel is starting to build their program. They are competitive at every level.

Second of all south laurel had a coach down there about ten years ago that had close to 100 kids playing football, they beat Corbin the two years he was there and the two years after he left. He was most likely the best coach in the history of laurel county football. I honestly believe that if he were there today then he would have south competing for a 5a state title. But another school from Alabama offered him an ASSISTANT coaching job and south wouldn't even match the stipend. That same coach is a head coach in Georgia now. No sympathy.

Third laurel county discontinued their youth football program three years ago. I know they still have that travel team in the north end of the county but that's mainly a political thing anyway. Many of those kids came to Corbin's youth program and I'm happy to say that a few decided to stay. Laurels loss Corbin gain. No sympathy.

Fourth in almost every school system in the tri county area the biggest factor in playing time is last name. No sympathy, you start your school board member kids and corbin will take the run off and give the "riff raff" a fair shake if they're willing to work hard and give an effort.

Fifth It's not so much that Corbin is recruiting, the schools around Corbin are just bleeding. Same way around the state. There is a reason that, with the exception of big cities, most power house programs are geographically surrounded by terrible teams.

Sixth I have a hard time believing that any coach from Corbin is promising kids a starting position. There are no locked in starting positions at Corbin. There has been more than one occasion where a two year starting senior has been replaced by a sophomore because the senior got senioridis. Every snap is earned at Corbin, no exceptions.
Two separate issues. I was not talking about Corbin as the example of recruiting. You mentioned Knox. My point was Corbin does have kids choose to go there to play and Knox has still not reached that level, as evidenced last night. The specific example I have seen does not involve Corbin in any way. I was not using them as an example of recruiting. If I lived in that area I would want my kid to play for Corbin and Coach Haddix. So relax.